Hard core query on ISB placement

Hi guys, I’ve 8 years of work experience in IT, currently I’m senior software engineer and drawing 9 Lakhs / annum. Now I’m planning to do ISB (at Hyderabad). But my question is 1. After doing ISB can I expect good salary, I expect at lea…

Hi guys,
I've 8 years of work experience in IT, currently I'm senior software engineer and drawing 9 Lakhs / annum. Now I'm planning to do ISB (at Hyderabad).
But my question is
1. After doing ISB can I expect good salary, I expect at least double of my current. Because I heard that average salary is 9 - 10 L last year. So this is my concern.
2. After doing ISB if I get 11 or 12 L, what is the point in doing it?
3. Am I thinking in right direction? Please help me out.
Vinod
>>>>After doing ISB can I expect good salary, I expect at least double of my current. Because I heard that average salary is 9 - 10 L last year. So this is my concern.
Ofcourse u can expect a good salary....Avg salary is 9-10 lakhs and u can relate it to avg experience which is 5 years..u can expect more but what you get depends on where u are looking to go..If you are planning to take a career shift you may not get the salary u are expecting

>>After doing ISB if I get 11 or 12 L, what is the point in doing it?
You need to figure out this...If you are just doing an MBA for money..I suggest u stay away from it :-)

>>Am I thinking in right direction? Please help me out.
Again u need to figure out exactly what u wanna become..as u told u are a Sr Sw engr though u have 8 years of exp..so dont u think that u are missing out on stepping the corporate ladder fast?? so u need to fix out why u wanna do MBA and then think of ISB or any other option

To add to what nagsformba has already said,
if you are thinking of doing your MBA purely for doubling your salary in the short run, plz drop the idea. In the short run, more often than not, you will end up financially worse. If you can see the long term benefits, its worth your time & money, else not.
ISB is not a placement agency which promises to multilply your incoming salary by a factor of x. It promises you top quality education with all the resources in the world. What you make of them is upto you. & then, there have been people who came in with 4 lac salaries & went out with 5 times those salaries & there have been people who went out with a marginal improvement in their salaries but marked improvement in their roles & growth prospects.
So, make sure what you would want to get & then see whether ISB fits those goals or not.
hth,
amit

Hey thanks for your reply. I don't want to do MBA, just for doubling my salary; I want to climb up corporate ladder fast.
I want to know, in the placement, how the companies judge a student. Is it purely based on the performance in ISB or his previous experience and academics? I don't have very good academics.
Can you please help me out in this?

Thanks,
Vinod.
Hey thanks for your reply. I don't want to do MBA, just for doubling my salary; I want to climb up corporate ladder fast.
I want to know, in the placement, how the companies judge a student. Is it purely based on the performance in ISB or his previous experience and academics? I don't have very good academics.
Can you please help me out in this?

Thanks,
Vinod.

If u want to earn some quick money....better invest those 15L in a business....
MBA is all about career orientation, seeing the larger things in life & a organic growth........& not about money.....
am sorry to say that ur priorities are just not aligning with the objevtives that the MBA Schools like ISB have while they pick up their prospctv students....
And yes companies look how a person fits into teh role they want him for.....
Acads @ a research comp...
Comm Skills @ marketing comp
Quantve skills @ financial comp
But normally @laterals they will look into whether the previous exp of the candidates is useful for them....

I have the exact same dilemma...10 years of IT experience with topmost companies in the world..currently 12L salary...but my present role in the comapny and all the previous roles too have been mainly in the capacity as in individual..no great projects executed and I don't see too much future for myself in the company...

But here is the irony..the fact that I don't have a great experience (and hence not a great future in the company) is the reason why I am looking at ISB seriously.

However, as respondents here say, my experience up till now will largely determine how I get placed laterally, after MBA at ISB...well..if my experience was great and future sterling, I would not have thought of ISB in the first place...

As for the nicities that some people have quoted 'Please see whether ISB fits your goals' and stuff..please be assured that higher salary and a decent corporate growth *are* my goals, as they are for almost everyone else...While social service, community oriented tasks etc. might be goals of some noble souls, for most part, this breed is in a pathetic minority.

Can't really help decide...will someone help..

MBA is all about career orientation, seeing the larger things in life & a organic growth........& not about money.....

Am extremely sorry, but this is plain gibberish. Agreed that MBA is not "only" about money; but hey, c'mon at the end of the day we want people here to start companies or steer companies strategically with a capitalistic mindset, not with one to distribute wealth equally. MBA is a degree invented by the capitalists and it is oriented towards making money. Agreed that there are people who land up in research after their MBA, but let us not talk about a precious few exceptions, please.

The answer that ISB is not a placement agency was right. Yes, you cannot look into a B-school to just multiply your sal., but we live in a practical world with mouths to feed and loans to service. So, a Q on salaries should be looked into the right perspective.

Hope people hear me right.

Cheers
Krishnan

hi,

i m techie with 3 yrs of IT exp.....i wud like to go for an MBA ....i m completely new to this and wud like to know as much as possibel.....i mean abt the GMAT....the score...the selction process...n all////plz enlighten me