Guys done with applying...plz help others!

Hi, the purpose of this thread is to help ppl applying in round 2 (and in the later years) to learn from the application experience of those who are already done with apping (either in round 1 or in previous years). the application game as i…

Hi,

the purpose of this thread is to help ppl applying in round 2 (and in the later years) to learn from the application experience of those who are already done with apping (either in round 1 or in previous years). the application game as i`ve realized is really tricky...there are a thousand details to consider, forms to fill, websites to refer etc etc. I hope that those who`ve been there done that would make life easier for those who`re still struggling with apping.

i`ll start off with some of my own elementary questions:

1. how to go about the whole "transcripts" maze? how do u acquire them, what is the procedure involved? how long does it take? (i`m from mumbai univ)

2. apart from transcripts, what other documents are to be sent by post? how much time/money does it take to get them across to US?

3. When i claim that i`ve done xyz social work or won abc prize in some competition, how do i substantiate it...do they need to certificates, proof of employment/experience letter etc?

4. is it impossible to apply without tofel scores? i`m not getting dates...will i have to forego this year for lack of TOEFL? how to go about getting an exemption?

these are some basic doubts i`ve encountered, and i`m sure ppl who`ve applied already have instant answers to them...lets make this thread a one-point contact for all apping details.

Hi,
Well i'm not really an expert in the area - but i can offer some fundas i'm aware of.

For your pt no: 3 - i guess you should really be careful of what you mention in your documents about you. You wouldnt like to find yourslef in an embarrassing situation of having mentioned something and then not being able to substantiate yourself during interviews etc. Looking at this otherwise - mention only those stuff for which you have proof or you can substantiate them easily and confidently. Ultimately - this means, Say only the Truth :)

For your pt no: 4 - TOEFL scores are not a must with all colleges (i think so. been some time since i read anything in this regard). I've seen colleges stating "TOEFL scores not necessary for ppl who've had formal education (both schooling and graduation) with English as the medium of communication. But this is not with all colleges - so better check out the respective sites. That should guide you. Having said that - there are colleges which have TOEFL scores as a mandatory requirement. It is better you find a space in the busy TOEFL calender and finish it out.

Hope my words were helpful...

ATB
Iday

1. how to go about the whole "transcripts" maze? how do u acquire them, what is the procedure involved? how long does it take? (i`m from mumbai univ)

You just need to put in a request to the college/univ. If they have a format of their own then they will issue in that format or else they ask you to get it in your own format and will verify the marks. BSchool provide a "Transcript Request Form" which can be used to show what/why you need it for

It can take anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months to get the transcripts.

Crash_test_dummy| Says
2. apart from transcripts, what other documents are to be sent by post? how much time/money does it take to get them across to US?

Unless you plan to send paper based recos, dont think there will b anything else. It can cost anywhere between 650 to 1000 bucks per courier! Not sure about the time, but from what I heard it takes about 7-10 days on an average.

Crash_test_dummy Says
3. When i claim that i`ve done xyz social work or won abc prize in some competition, how do i substantiate it...do they need to certificates, proof of employment/experience letter etc?

Some scools ask you give them details of the person you've worked with. Certs not reqd, but they might call up to confirm. So do let the ppl u've worked with to expect a call.

|Crash_test_dummy Says
4. is it impossible to apply without tofel scores? i`m not getting dates...will i have to forego this year for lack of TOEFL? how to go about getting an exemption?

No, TOEFL is not mandatory for all the schools. Some schools like Haas, Kellogg and Kenan Flagler donot give TOEFL exemption to Indians. So mail them about not getting TOEFL dates and see what they say. They might give you an extention for submitting the TOEFL dates - very much dependant on the univ. So chk with them.

HTH,
Uday
Hi,

My $.02 based on my applications to some top 20 US/Non US B-schools

1. Some of the top schools use a self report transcript template which is a part of the online application template. Others allow notarized copies of originals. Saves a lot of hassle for outstation students and non-engineering students, who face a problem in obtaining transcript(s).

2. Normally, transcripts are the only things. One of the non US B-schools also asked for 5 copies of passport sized photographs for their records. Unless you want to send a hard copy reco or other application pieces on paper your package would mostly be the transcripts. I used DHL which took 2-3 working days however I have heard that even Indian Post's Speed post is a reliable alternative and the packages are delivered in 7-10 working days(with tracking information) at half the cost ( Rs.400 approx.)

3. Just say the truth. Some B-schools do background checks by using 3rd party sources others use interviews to verify credentials. All your good work would go down the drain if they notice anything wrong with your application. Do you know about Hackergate which happened last year ? The crime of those 117 applicants was checking their result which was going to come out anyways.

4. TOEFL can be waived by most of the top B-Schools for qualifying Indian applicants. A good TOEFL can however add value to your application considering the fact that it provides a quantifiable proof of your communication skills and other things like a good TOEFL essay score can balance out a bad AWA on GMAT. Write/Talk to individual B-school adcoms to check for TOEFL waiver.

All the best !