Gurus !! please evaluate the chances, needed urgently

Hi All, Here is a brief abt myself: GMAT: 680 (Q49, V32) Education: MS in Computer Sc. University of Southern California (May 2004: GPA: 3.43) BE in Computer Science (May 2001, 67.6%) Work ex: Aug 01 to Jun 02: Software Developer…

Hi All,

Here is a brief abt myself:
GMAT: 680 (Q49, V32)
Education: MS in Computer Sc. University of Southern California (May 2004: GPA: 3.43)
BE in Computer Science (May 2001, 67.6%)

Work ex:
Aug 01 to Jun 02: Software Developer at a manufacturing firm

Jul 04 -Oct 04- Worked in US with a software firm for govt sectors of California

Nov 04-till date: Working as Head, It deaprtment with the same manufacturing firm, also helping in business like marketing,customer relations and prime point of contact for North India....developed various softwares to enhance the firm's processes.

Extra curricular: active participant in cultural activities at Association of Indian Students at Univ of Southern California, love dancing

hobbies: dance, trave

recos: excellent recos from my peer at the firm in Los Angeles and from the Director of present company

Here is my partner's profile:
GMAT: 710 (Q 50, V35)

Education : BE computer sc (May 2001, 80%)

Work ex:
2.5 yrs at leading software firm in India
2 yrs at another leading telecom firm in India
presently working as Project Manager
first female to win a Company Achiever award across India

actively involved in R & D

Stellar extra curricular from debates, speeches, paintings, dance
outstanding acads throughout school n undergrad...

excellent recos from Client in a foreign country and from the head of the branch in India...

we are planning to apply to Stern, Cornell, CMU, LBS...for Fall'06

Gurus, please take out a few mins to eveluate our chances and also suggest us some other univs that can be targeted !!

Thanks a lot for ur help !

Hi!

Both of you have relatively good profiles however i believe that a recommedation from a person who you report to or from a client would apparently be better than that from a peer.

Looks like you are considering B-schools with emphais on IT. Any reasons why you are not considering MIT-Sloan? University of Maryland(Smith) could also be a great school if IT is a big part of your career goals.

Your profiles look great however a lot would depend on how you distinguish yourself from the other IT applicants. Also, you must have a strong plan to achieve your short term and long term goals post the MBA with all the dots connected.

I saw a gap in your workex between Jun'02-Jul'04. I hope its just a typo or else you should be able to explain that gap convincingly.

h, I think Vipin, that is when the MS came in?
anyway like Vipin said, profiles look great. but connecting the dots matters more. very often ppl have great stories to inspire others but they themselves cannot articulate them for others to be inspired (or in your case be convinced).
again, on the paper, profile looks gud. my point of worry wud be less exp pre and post MS. and the fit of MS with your MBA. (again my point of view).
you are obviously the better judge.

I saw a gap in your workex between Jun'02-Jul'04.

He was doing his Masters that time

To answer the OP, there are 2 questions:

(a) What are our chances ?

Ans: Its very hard. Depends on way to many parameters. I would say Stern, Cornell, CMU, LBS are all within your reach. Might need to work on your essays really hard though. Plus your workexp is on the lower side. You come across (on paper) as a perpetual student who works for a year and jumps back to school for a couple of years. You might want to wait till say fall 2007 maybe.

(b) What are our chances applying together to the same college ? Will our chances improve/worsen if both of us apply?

Ans: Though most colleges would like to admit this, they always maintain that they evaluate each profile seperately. So atleast from what I have read in the Adcomm interviews on BW there is not going to be much difference.

Arun

PS: Frankly due to your Masters sojourn (which I understand might have made a lot of sense that time) plus that fact that there is a gender difference, making things more favorable for your partner. Hence if you plan to apply to the same school, she might need to shoot for below her range (She is def H/W/S candidate)

PPS: Being plain curious here - when ru planning to get married ? Pre or Post MBA ?