Gurus - any thoughts/feedback on my univ selection

Hi Guys, I would appreciate any help in shortlisting univs from people here. My Profile: B.E (Electronics and Telecommunications) .(Bombay University). Acads are good (University Rank holder) Experience: almost 3.5 total. Will …

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate any help in shortlisting univs from people here.

My Profile:

B.E (Electronics and Telecommunications) .(Bombay University). Acads are good (University Rank holder)

Experience: almost 3.5 total. Will be 4+ years in Fall 2006.
Almost 3 years : Top Indian IT company 3 years .
US product company 6 months till date

GMAT : 780 Q:50, V:48

Extra curriculars : Ok but not spectacular

Community Service: Sadly lacking, but planning to remedy that soon

I am looking at primarily US colleges . Area of interest : Finance .

Prefer colleges that offer aid/scholarships preferably.

Some colleges I have thought of : NYU-Stern , Sloan, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, Virginia (Darden).Do you think I will be competitive here?

My research is still in the preliminary stages and would appreciate any suggestions/ feedback

I am definitely targeting Fall 2006, so a suggestions for a couple of relatively safe schools too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bombayite

Just add Univ of Chicago...
Thats a sure shot admit for your background and is top five for finance...
They have lots of seats... so slightly easier to get in...

Community Service: Sadly lacking, but planning to remedy that soon

I do not want to go off-topic here, but just read this threaad.

Ketan
Just add Univ of Chicago...
Thats a sure shot admit for your background and is top five for finance...
They have lots of seats... so slightly easier to get in...

Chicago a sure shot admit ? Its been ranked top 5 in a bunch of rankings and is the school to attend for Finance, second to Wharton. I dont see how you could deduce a sure shot admit @ chicago based on raw stats ..
pagalguy Says
Chicago a sure shot admit ? Its been ranked top 5 in a bunch of rankings and is the school to attend for Finance, second to Wharton. I dont see how you could deduce a sure shot admit @ chicago based on raw stats ..

Yes I mentioned its top five too... Looking at the schools he listed Columbia and MIT... Chicago is an easier deal than those... For a 780 and a univ ranker... with 4 yrs workex a sure shot admit... is what i meant... The other schools maybe easier than Chicago... But for finance Columbia, NYU and Chicago should go together... Even Wharton is a good bet but way tougher than Chicago...

I am not saying 100% Yaar... But a good bet...
K

I dont agree.. because nothing is sure shot based on stats. Chicago is a quant strong school but I dont see why a 780 GMAT with a good GPA will make it. Thee are scores of people who app with those stats and dont make it. I do that agree the posters stats look brilliant and the acads part is extremely well covered! If the poster asks me,I would say the stats are in place and now its for the rest of the app to shine and make the cut. Now make the professional, community and extra curricular work come through clearly and you have a real good chance :)

OTOH, the community service part, I hope you can achieve a level of work that can help in ascertaining that the cs part wasn't just because you wanted to app to a good school. Trust me, the adcom does get to see that quite often. So ensure that you focus on your community work so that the requisite experience can come forth in your essays :)

All the best!

Yes I mentioned its top five too... Looking at the schools he listed Columbia and MIT... Chicago is an easier deal than those... For a 780 and a univ ranker... with 4 yrs workex a sure shot admit... is what i meant... The other schools maybe easier than Chicago... But for finance Columbia, NYU and Chicago should go together... Even Wharton is a good bet but way tougher than Chicago...

I am not saying 100% Yaar... But a good bet...
K

I would put Columbia and MIT the toughest amongst your choices...
NYU, Chicago, Darden slightly easier but in the same level...
CMU potentially easiest amongst the lot

Its not exactly the ank... But I feel the number of students, favourableness to indian students is important... And though its hear-say... I dont know for 100%... Chicago is very favourable to indians... Ofcourse now its a fact that all US Bschools are thinking about increasing the number of indians simply because we are being noticed as a country...

I think a 780 demands a PUSH for the best schools atleast for the first attempt... Also for finance since there is no work experience I have a feeling instead of thinking community service and such non capitalistic behaviour just for a Bschool admit it might look better to show interest in real personal investment bets made in india based on your perception of the economy etc... And its lot of fun to actually do it since you have $ anyways!!

I would put Columbia and MIT the toughest amongst your choices...
NYU, Chicago, Darden slightly easier but in the same level...
CMU potentially easiest amongst the lot

Its not exactly the ank... But I feel the number of students, favourableness to indian students is important... And though its hear-say... I dont know for 100%... Chicago is very favourable to indians... Ofcourse now its a fact that all US Bschools are thinking about increasing the number of indians simply because we are being noticed as a country...

I think a 780 demands a PUSH for the best schools atleast for the first attempt... Also for finance since there is no work experience I have a feeling instead of thinking community service and such non capitalistic behaviour just for a Bschool admit it might look better to show interest in real personal investment bets made in india based on your perception of the economy etc... And its lot of fun to actually do it since you have $ anyways!!

DesiGuru, thanks a lot for your inputs.I am encouraged about Chiacgo.
And I will definitely highlight my "capitalistic behaviour " 😃
About Columbia, I was under the impression that it is slightly easier to get in than the elite ones like Wharton, Sloan et al ?

Allwyn, I agree with you about the CS part.You have given me something to think about.
DesiGuru, thanks a lot for your inputs.I am encouraged about Chiacgo.
And I will definitely highlight my "capitalistic behaviour " 😃
About Columbia, I was under the impression that it is slightly easier to get in than the elite ones like Wharton, Sloan et al ?

Allwyn, I agree with you about the CS part.You have given me something to think about.

Hi Bombayite,

I have no clue what your criteria for selecting schools are. If you can provide me with insights as to what you are looking for there could be more help coming from this group.

Arun

PS: "Ivy League" or "H/W/S" don't qualify as criteria
Hi Bombayite,

I have no clue what your criteria for selecting schools are. If you can provide me with insights as to what you are looking for there could be more help coming from this group.

Arun

PS: "Ivy League" or "H/W/S" don't qualify as criteria

Hi Psychodementia,

Here are my main criteria :
1.Good ranking for finance
2.Chance of aid/scholarships
3.Reasonable selectivity (not too high).I can only work on so many apps and do not want to really spend time where my chances are not too bright.

Correction what I meant above was Reasonable selectivity (not too low)

Bombayite...
How many mistakes do you think you made in Quant for that scaled score of 50... and in verbal?
What was your average number of mistakes during practice?

Bombayite...
How many mistakes do you think you made in Quant for that scaled score of 50... and in verbal?
What was your average number of mistakes during practice?

Quant : I think probably 1 or 2..could me more though not sure
Verbal : Again I would guess probably 2-3

During practice in quant I would get 1 or 2 wrong and verbal around 5-6 wrong (Kaplan, GMATPrep, Powerprep)

my cmat score is 164.my home university is mumbai.my state rank is 3120.i have got MIT KOTHRUD for mba.can i get MITSOM for the second round with this rank? will it b ok to wait for d second round?

Guys please help me out.I want the difference b/n mms and pgdm.which course is better in k.j.somaiya?

Any k.j.somaiya students studying in the clg.please respond to it.which is better mms/pgdm in k.j.somaiaya(mumbai).is there any difference in placements?sort me out.

hello...can u please assist me about auckland university of technology business school (new zealand)
m planning to do masters in international business from there....is it a good option to go for??

Hi Friends..
I have converted IFMR Chennai and hope to convert Welingkar Mumbai too..

The joining for IFMR is 2nd June whreas the final list for welingkar is expected to be out by May end...
I need your help deciding on one of them.. I plan to go for Marketing..
Background:- B.Tech(CSE) with 2 years and 10 months work exp with Accenture(IT) in Bangalore..

I need to deposit the fees for IFMR i.e 3 lakhs asap.. and the grace period for refund is till 10 May(much before the date welingkar results are expected)..

Expect an early response..

Thanks in Advance.. 😃