Guide to becoming a Moderator on PaGaLGuY

Aloha puys :: A lot of people ask how users become moderators on PaGaLGuY.com. There’s nothing secret about the selection process :: . It’s a very informal and subjective process and explained below: *Q - What are the criteria to beco…

Aloha puys

A lot of people ask how users become moderators on PaGaLGuY.com. There's nothing secret about the selection process . It's a very informal and subjective process and explained below:

Q - What are the criteria to become a Mod?

A - We look for 4 basic things:

1. Firstly, you need to be on the forums for a LARGE part of the day. Most of our previous/present mods are logged onto PG more than 10 hours a day. Whenever there's an issue, the relevant moderator has to be reachable quickly!
  2. You need to have a track record of Helping people. Many users on PG tirelessly help new users on the 'Introduce yourself' thread so that that newbies feel at home right away. These users are also posting links to existing thread on redundant threads, helping out people find their way on PG through PMs, etc. These users usually become mods. Users who become mods usually have a great network of people on PG.
  3. You should have a track record of helping keep PG forums clean. This includes using the 'Report Post' option. Whenever you see a redundant thread, a case of advertising spam in a post, some user using foul language or personally attacking other users, go ahead and press the 'Report post' button at the bottom left of every post. This helps existing moderators identify posts that need to be moderated.
  4. The user should have a good sense of humor, maturity and a wise way of dealing with things, friendly nature and should be easy to approach. He/She should be genuine, and his online personality should be just like how he/she is in real life. We don't want freaks with concocted online personalities! Pagalguy as a website doesn't take itself too seriously, so people who have a sense of irreverence to them make for great mods. We need smart people who are good with handling other people.
That's basically it :grin:

Q - How many moderators are made each year?

A - It's arbitrary. Mods are made on the basis of requirement. PaGaLGuY functions on the least possible number of Mods, so a Mod is taken on board only when an existing Mod gets busy with life, job, or B-school etc and cannot commit the same amount of time to the forum.

Q - What can you do to become a Mod?

A - Do all of what's written in the first question. Even if you don't do it for moderatorship, you will still gain a whole lot more from the forum and its people if you make it a point to share more and help more. As worst case scenario, you'll make great friends for life.

Q - How long does it take for a user to become a Mod?

A - If a user does all that's written in the first question, he/she quickly comes in the attention of existing Mods. After that, it's a question of when a Mod is needed. Whenever one is required, existing mods will make sure that a place is found for that user. A new Mod usually starts as a Sectional Mod, handling on a couple of sections on the forum and after getting the hang of it, becomes SuperMod in charge of the entire forum after a few months.

Q - What does a Moderator do?

A - Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating. Being a regular and being extremely helpful to others is a deciding factor as well. This link would also help in explaining to you:
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/help-us-moderate-25006004
Q - Are Mods paid?

A - Nope. It's a thankless job but somebody's gotta do the dirty job of saving the world and driving into the sunset :). You do get freebies from time to time though, like tees, etc

If anybody has questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers

Why can't I see the post ?:sleepy:

Where is the 1st post in this thread???:shocked::shocked::shocked:

eddy Says
Why can't I see the post ?:sleepy:

akhil_agrawal Says
Where is the 1st post in this thread???:shocked::shocked::shocked:

The 1st post in this section is repetitive and appears on every page, which of course takes loads of server space. Hence, for time being the feature has been disabled.

It will be back soon.
The 1st post in this section is repetitive and appears on every page, which of course takes loads of server space. Hence, for time being the feature has been disabled.

It will be back soon.

errrr, but then, shouldnt it be there atleast on the first page .............. which is THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Harshad

P.S : I have a feeling this post doesnt really go with what it takes to become a mod

Post is back up... just killed a bug... SWAT! 😉

hey thanks for the information

i recommended to make the sticky threads of 07 normal threads and removal of closed threads.

after joining PG, what i have seen is, in the GD/PI experiences thread, inspite of the repeated posts by the topic starter warning people not to indulge in one-liners such as thank you, awesome man , you'll get thru man, people still resort to the 'same old behaviour'.

as a result of this, people who are genuinely interested in going through the experiences have to scan a lot of pages to find the same.

i think the situation can be better handled by appointing someone who can take care of such threads and such threads only.

this will ensure clean threads with meaningful content.

i really hope the mods will do the needful

cheers n regards :)

ps - the latest thread to fall victim to this is GIM. one look at the thread and the mods will know what i mean.

after joining PG, what i have seen is, in the GD/PI experiences thread, inspite of the repeated posts by the topic starter warning people not to indulge in one-liners such as thank you, awesome man , you'll get thru man, people still resort to the 'same old behaviour'.

as a result of this, people who are genuinely interested in going through the experiences have to scan a lot of pages to find the same.

i think the situation can be better handled by appointing someone who can take care of such threads and such threads only.

this will ensure clean threads with meaningful content.

i really hope the mods will do the needful

cheers n regards :)

ps - the latest thread to fall victim to this is GIM. one look at the thread and the mods will know what i mean.

Strongly second this.
We tried to have a discussion on TISS GDPI thread
but it never got going due to all the people posting irrelevent info.

We started with a thread based on solely discussing GD topics and again we are facing the same problem.

is it possible to have someone who is just removing the irrelevent posts so that it deters people before posting unrelated topics ?

on the whole it will just underline the pagalguy being home to quality discussions.
Strongly second this.
We tried to have a discussion on TISS GDPI thread
but it never got going due to all the people posting irrelevent info.

We started with a thread based on solely discussing GD topics and again we are facing the same problem.

is it possible to have someone who is just removing the irrelevent posts so that it deters people before posting unrelated topics ?

on the whole it will just underline the pagalguy being home to quality discussions.

thank you calvin. i appreciate.

here's the latest thread that has fallen victim to this.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gim-2008-gd-pi-experiences-25029216

it was a fantastic initiative by deep to start a GIM gd/pi thread. but alas, in the three pages that we've got here, we have one GD/PI experience. rest, i'm afraid to say are 'not so suggestive' posts

i dont blame the newbies one bit. the sad part is, you have a lot of trainee and expert pagals leading the way with one-liners and irrelevant posts.

almost all the GD/PI threads which has come to my notice have ultimately turned into a 'conference' thread.

i genuinely do believe the 'GD/PI experience' threads have a lot of potential in them.

but the sad part is, almost all such threads are going to the dogs.

i request the mods to delete all irrelevant posts or appoint someone who can take care of such threads and such threads only.

heartfelt thanks in advance

cheers n regards.

I do agree with both of you but than we are doing the same thing.

Look we are posting this things here which is of no means. As in no one is going to see over here as the name of the thread says that it is a Guide to becoming a Moderator on PaGaLGuY

We need a separate thread where we can notify the same to moderator or we shall have a suggestion thread which mod/admin shall pay attention on. As their are 2 threads on suggestions but no one pays attention on that too.

I hope i am not indulging in spamming myself here by repeating whats already been said... but cudnt help post this ... I seriously agree with all of u in this thread that there is too much of irrelavant posts in various threads... if nothing else pople are discussing the routes to the interview places!!!!!!!!! Man!! this is heights... there is a facility called pvt messaging which people just refuse to use... While going thru a thread for relevant information, i usually end up spending too much of time reading idiotic stuff than the meaningful ones.... Request from my side too to the mods to please take an action regarding this.... It will be of great help ...

Hey guys lets continue here and hope we get the light :d

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/help-us-moderate-25006004

guys, this is the suggetions/feeback link that i found. use this thread (only) to vent out ur frustrations (read-complaints , suggestions ). lets help in making PG better

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/suggestions-feedback-and-more-25008282

heartfelt thanks in advance

cheers n regards 😃

I guess we need to update this thread with respect to the new developments related to the Community Leaders

Finally after a year there is query posted in this thread ...

ps : sorry for the spam .. do not groan me 😃