Great Lakes Institute of Management Class of 2012

Hi All, I am Indraneel and I am a current GLadiator Class of 2011 student at Great Lakes. To all those who want to more about Great Lakes and want to participate in the admission process for 2012, do use this forum. To all people wh…

Hi All,

I am Indraneel and I am a current GLadiator Class of 2011 student at Great Lakes.

To all those who want to more about Great Lakes and want to participate in the admission process for 2012, do use this forum.

To all people who want to enter into needless mudslinging and unncessary debating, please stay away from here.

Happy to answer all your queries and see our beloved B school prosper.

Regards,

Great Laker
Class of 2011

An important notice to all the PuYs who wish to get into Great Lakes Institute of Management.

Please use this thread to discuss the school, its pedagogy, quality of learnings, ROI etc etc.

You can get back to me with any kind of questions and I would be happy to answer them all.

Just an update, Great Lakes is poised to be one of the most premier B schools of this country and I welcome all prosepective students to seek as much information about the school.

Hi
I saw Glakes website and visited the placement webpage.
It claims to provide 100% placements.

Can you please provide a better picture of placements in Glakes?

Thanks in advance

Hi
I saw Glakes website and visited the placement webpage.
It claims to provide 100% placements.

Can you please provide a better picture of placements in Glakes?

Thanks in advance

The claim is not incorrect, ever since the inception of Great Lakes, it has been able to provide 100% placement. In 2009, due to the financial meltdown, Great Lakes had to take a dire step to disallow the students on sabbatical to sit for placements till the ones without sabbatical are placed. There were about 145 students without sabbatical and the beauty is that all were placed with an average salary of around 8.5 lakhs. 17 sabbatical guys were also placed with an average salary of around 9 lakhs.

With the current batch Great Lakes has run into some rough weather but has pledged to help the students till are placed. As its stands today 245 people have applied for the placement process and around 190 have already been placed with an average salary of 9 lakhs. The placement director has assured the batch that the placement season would be kept open till all 245 are placed.

good to see GLIM fella taking questions. Would love to follow this thread:grin:. By the way I din't understood the reason behind

needless mudslinging and unncessary debating, please stay away from here
Please use this thread to discuss the school, its pedagogy, quality of learnings, ROI etc etc.
No offend mate. Just a passing thought. I can understand this much, your reason behind it. Since you are the creator of this thread. You are the RULE maker. However this is Democratic PG forum, not communist forum. Why you are restricting aspirants to ask questions only on GLIM strengths. Why not weaknesses?. We can get information on ROI,pedagogy, quality of learning from GLIM website itself. Don't we have the independence to ask what we need... Unless you are Ad-com, you can't restrict aspirants that much I know.
good to see GLIM fella taking questions. Would love to follow this thread:grin:. By the way I din't understood the reason behind
No offend mate. Just a passing thought. I can understand this much, your reason behind it. Since you are the creator of this thread. You are the RULE maker. However this is Democratic PG forum, not communist forum. Why you are restricting aspirants to ask questions only on GLIM strengths. Why not weaknesses?. We can get information on ROI,pedagogy, quality of learning from GLIM website itself. Don't we have the independence to ask what we need... Unless you are Ad-com, you can't restrict aspirants that much I know.

Hello

You have the absolute freedom to discuss any topic - strength, weakness, opportunities and threats.

Not all info is available on the website like day to day conducting of classes, and much more and I am here to answer all of them. What I do not want is people to draw irrational conclusions from information received from dubiously reliable sources and spoil the atmosphere and sanctity of the thread. As long we are doing constructive debating its fine....

Hi ,

I have couple of queries :

A) What percentage of teaching is case based ?

B) Can you kindly advice on the kind of consulting companies Great Lakes attract ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Hello Indraneel,
Thank you for the post.

I am dheeraj and have 4.5 yrs of work ex. from manufacturing industry.
But my cat score was really poor, 67% ....so where do i stand the chance to get into GL.
Please reply.
thanks again.

An important notice to all the PuYs who wish to get into Great Lakes Institute of Management.

You can get back to me with any kind of questions and I would be happy to answer them all.

Just an update, Great Lakes is poised to be one of the most premier B schools of this country and I welcome all prosepective students to seek as much information about the school.
Hello Indraneel,
Thank you for the post.

I am dheeraj and have 4.5 yrs of work ex. from manufacturing industry.
But my cat score was really poor, 67% ....so where do i stand the chance to get into GL.
Please reply.
thanks again.

Hey Dheeraj,

Your experience is certainly within the aterget range of Great Lakes but you do need to improve upon the CAT score. We have a median CAT score of around 97% ile and would want it to be there.

So you can attempt CAT again, although I do not discourage you from applying.

Cheers,
Indraneel
Hi ,

I have couple of queries :

A) What percentage of teaching is case based ?

B) Can you kindly advice on the kind of consulting companies Great Lakes attract ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

We certainly cant give a percentage, but what I can say is that a very significant number of assignments and teachings that happen inside the classrooms is Harvard cases.

Great Lakes does attract some, although not many consulting companies and the placement cell is working on it. So the picture may be very different by next year.

You can refer to the website to get more details around the companies that visit the campus, the latest details for the present batch would be posted soon.

Cheers,
Neel

Hi Indraneel,

I have a work ex of over 6 years in financial research and analytics (also includes equity research for investment banks).

I will be taking GMAT soon.
Please tell me how much is the avg. score of GMAT that Glakes consider?

Whether my kind of profile is suitable? Since you quoted in this thread that limited consulting compaines visit the campus.
I have gone through the website and found that most of the students are from Btech stream where as I did BSc in electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Great Lakes had its convocation yesterday at the Chennai Trade Center and was attended by Bala V Balachandran, Dean Great Lakes.

The chief guest was Mr N R Narayana Murthy, Chief Mentor, Infosys Technologies Limited, one of the living legends of the corporate world. The guest of honor was Mr Andrew T. Simkin, US Consul General in Chennai. Mr A Mahendran, Managing Director, Godrej Sara Lee Limited, was a special invitee.

Read about the convocation at Convocation | Great Lakes

You can also catch media snippets at The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : "Let good news take the steps, and bad news the elevator" and at Great Lakes Institute of Management, Mr. Narayana Murthy, Business Wire India, Press Releases

Hi Indraneel,
will you please answer my query "I have a work ex of over 6 years in financial research and analytics (also includes equity research for investment banks).

Whether my kind of profile is suitable? Since you quoted in this thread that limited consulting compaines visit the campus.
I have gone through the website and found that most of the students are from Btech stream where as I did BSc in electronics.

Thanks in advance. "

Hi Indraneel,

I have a work ex of over 6 years in financial research and analytics (also includes equity research for investment banks).

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

First of all, thanks for approaching me.

Your experience and domain is certainly appreciable. Great Lakes does have a few current students with your experience and profiles of an equity research professional. If your next logical step is to go into Investment banking then Great Lakes has a very good finance curriculum to help you achieve your goal. We also have very good international professors to give you global exposure.

GMAT score this year has been above 700, so to be safe please target 700. In my opinion 680+ shud also be good provided the rest of the profile is good as well.

There are many students in Great Lakes who are not Btech and in the coming years we would be looking at increasing the diversity of applicants so in my opinion and also on behalf of the school, BSc Electronics must not be a problem.

Hi Indraneel,

Many thanks

Just one more Q: when are the admissions start for Glakes?
Even if it is on rolling basis, there would be cycle 1 or 2 on the lines of ISB.

Hi Indraneel,

Many thanks

Just one more Q: when are the admissions start for Glakes?
Even if it is on rolling basis, there would be cycle 1 or 2 on the lines of ISB.

I am not from the admissions department so would not be able to comment but since Great Lakes accepts GMAT CAT and XAT, I suspect if it would be on the lines of ISB in 2 cycles.

I guess you need to wait and watch, all information would be provided when the time comes.

Thanks,
Indraneel
I am not from the admissions department so would not be able to comment but since Great Lakes accepts GMAT CAT and XAT, I suspect if it would be on the lines of ISB in 2 cycles.

I guess you need to wait and watch, all information would be provided when the time comes.

Thanks,
Indraneel

Many thanx Indraneel

An excerpt of the interview of Proff Bala V Balachandran, Dean Great Lakes Institute of Management, that appeared in the ET dt 26th April 2010

'India must try to attract top B-schools '-Editorial-Opinion-The Economic Times

A tribute to C K Prahlad by Proff Bala V Balachandran, Dean Great Lakes Institute of Management

Forbes India - CK Prahalad The Man