GREAT LAKES 2010-11 GD.PI prep

Hi Neeraj,

Good Initiative...

I got shorlisted in Round 1.

BR,
Prabhu

Cool. People shortlisted from Chennai... Maybe we could have some mock gds. Is there any institute which offers a course?

Guys

This link has an extensive description of GD/PI experiences. Should help all of us

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-exams-xat-fms-jmet/37544-2009-2010-great-lakes-gd-39.html#post1417235

Hii Everyone,

I also got shortlisted for GD/PI from Pune.

All the Best!!

Hey Puys,

I am in too, i am from Bangalore..

Anyone else from bangalore....??

ATB.

hi...did you apply via last years cat score.? what is the score for cat and xat >>as in cut offs for grea lakes>

Hey Puys,

I am in too, i am from Bangalore..

Anyone else from bangalore....??

ATB.

Hi All,
Even I am in from Bangalore...

Hi Saurav,
We can get everyone shortlisted from bangalore together and arrange some mock gd sessions..
mahajanankit86 Says
hi...did you apply via last years cat score.? what is the score for cat and xat >>as in cut offs for grea lakes>

I think average CAT score was around 97%ile no idea of XAT, but they see ur profile a lot too, so people with lesser %ile also do get selected if they have a good profile.
your queries about cutoff will be better answered here http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-and-related-discussion/41299-great-lakes-chennai-admissions-2010-a-140.html#post1861403

people selected in this round had applied with CAT 2008 and GMAT 2008 & 2009 scores

Folks:

I take the liberty of getting you started on the GD prep.. These are generic and just to get your warmed up and thinking.. You will slowly need to go upto to more advanced and case related topics.. But dont worry we'll get there..

So here's the first topic:

How can technology help in making the life of common man better? Remember to talk about not only present technologies but also future ones that are in the development phase right now but have huge potential to be scaled up.

General Pointers for a GD topic:

1. Never repeat points.. Always build on them.
2. Dont introduce a point which is way off mark or beyond the boundaries of the discussion.
3. Keep your thoughts coherent and dont just say everything that is on your mind in one go.

Let the fun begin!

well, we should start preparing for GD and PI over here.....any one of you who finds a good article or some other good document, pls add it here.....

we shd also start discussing on one topic per day here......

WOMENS ARE BETTER MANAGER THAN MAN....

lets start

Sorry I missed your post!.. Let us take the topic posted by Neeraj first.. And the one that I posted tomorrow or some other time.

Thanks much for the intiative and the support offered by GL folks present here.

I got a suggestion.

How effective the GD will be when conducted over a thread like this, depends on how many people are online at the time of posting the topic, and how frequently points are added etc, and ofcourse it does help in building the content and acting as a repository for late comers.

Meanwhile we could also think of having a real gd over skype everyday (or every two days or whatever) at some specific time, and asking all the GL aspirants to come over there, and really participate in the gd, with a current GL student moderating it.

Again here also we could have the gd recorded and the link to which posted in this thread so others are also benefited.

We already have skype gds by puys going on , which is generic and which happens everyday.

Might be we can run a parallel one for GL aspirants.

Cheers!!
dH

I would like to differ with the aforemetioned statement that "Women are better managers than men". Of course not because men are better managers but because there is no empirical tool to find out the difference. For example one can not compare Indra Nooyi (Pepsi Co.) or Chanda Kochar (ICICI CEO) with Mukesh Ambani or Bill Gates (of course we can't conclude anything only on the basis of their companies' turnover). There are some functions/industries where men excel and there are some where women excel (e.g. HR, Training, Soft skills). So we can not arrive at any conclusion. Of course if the sample taken is defined then only we can compare!!

Great lakes is very particular with the work experience .. a Decent percentile , with good work experience of ideally more than 24 months is the perfect catch.

GD @ WOMEN ARE BETTER MANAGER THAN MAN.

The term 'better manager' is very domain specific as Amal pointed out . To take the very simple example of house hold management , or say taking care of children in early years, it turns out that women have / tend to have an upper hand.

It's quite natural men and women excelling as better managers in the fields where in their innate abilities aid it.

Now if we take up functions / situations where in both have equal opportunities to excel , it becomes a different scenario all together.

Now that is not a matter of gender, but a matter of the the quality of the individual .

Meanwhile we could also think of having a real gd over skype everyday (or every two days or whatever) at some specific time, and asking all the GL aspirants to come over there, and really participate in the gd, with a current GL student moderating it.

Again here also we could have the gd recorded and the link to which posted in this thread so others are also benefited.

We already have skype gds by puys going on , which is generic and which happens everyday.

Might be we can run a parallel one for GL aspirants.

Cheers!!
dH

Hey im in for the real GD lets hv some real GDs once more ppl come up.

Btw can you give pointers to these skype GDs conducted by puys? How can I join them ?

hello everybody...

i know it is off topic but thought may be u guys might be having some information abt this... so m posting it here...

i was going thru the placement details of GLIM and observed some details. Thought i ll get it clarified from u ppl before taking any decision.

The placement report of 2009 at GLIm boasts of 100% placements and tat a total of 162 offers were made. But the total intake for last year was arounf 260. Even if we assume that the number of intakes has increased from 2007 to 2009 still its really hard to digest such huge differences.

If anyone of you has any info regarding these numbers please share it with others too so that everybody has a clear info abt the institute.

@seniors: no offences meant towards the institute. Just thought of sharing it. Please clarify these doubts if u have any info abt it. Is it that the institute has some sort of mimimum criteria to appear for placements and hence all the students who had cleared these criteria were placed? If so can u share with us these criteria? any help will surely appreciated by one and all.... 😃

Hi All,
Even I am in from Bangalore...

Hi Saurav,
We can get everyone shortlisted from bangalore together and arrange some mock gd sessions..

That sounds good....lets gather some more guys from Bangalore.....

It should be a good start.....
hello everybody...

i know it is off topic but thought may be u guys might be having some information abt this... so m posting it here...

i was going thru the placement details of GLIM and observed some details. Thought i ll get it clarified from u ppl before taking any decision.

The placement report of 2009 at GLIm boasts of 100% placements and tat a total of 162 offers were made. But the total intake for last year was arounf 260. Even if we assume that the number of intakes has increased from 2007 to 2009 still its really hard to digest such huge differences.

If anyone of you has any info regarding these numbers please share it with others too so that everybody has a clear info abt the institute.

@seniors: no offences meant towards the institute. Just thought of sharing it. Please clarify these doubts if u have any info abt it. Is it that the institute has some sort of mimimum criteria to appear for placements and hence all the students who had cleared these criteria were placed? If so can u share with us these criteria? any help will surely appreciated by one and all.... :)

Hi.. Your query has been answered on the main thread. Im posting it here again for convenience sake.

Our strength of the batch that graduated in 2009 (Champions) was 162. The current batch strength is 260. The minimum criteria are specific to different companies...laid out by their policy and the terms agreed between them and us..
hello everybody...

@seniors: no offences meant towards the institute. Just thought of sharing it. Please clarify these doubts if u have any info abt it. Is it that the institute has some sort of mimimum criteria to appear for placements and hence all the students who had cleared these criteria were placed? If so can u share with us these criteria? any help will surely appreciated by one and all.... :)

I guess 260 students admitted last year would get placed in this year 2010. 162 offers last year were for students who passed out last year when the new campus was not built and there were around 160 students in the batch.

I guess i got ur questions right ! 😃

may b its the wrong place to ask....
but plz reply...
wat can be the expected cut off through xat fr gr8 lakes.. since they wud now b accepting XAT scores as well...........................