Got a 700 - 51/34/5

I gave GMAT some time back and got a 700 with 51 in Q and 34 in V. Key take aways from GMAT experience: - In most of the cases, it is verbal that pulls the score down. I did Manhattan + OG 10 & 11. In practice tests i even got a 45-4…

I gave GMAT some time back and got a 700 with 51 in Q and 34 in V.

Key take aways from GMAT experience:

- In most of the cases, it is verbal that pulls the score down. I did Manhattan + OG 10 & 11. In practice tests i even got a 45-46. But still in the actual test i got 34. I think CR is quite manageable. It's SC & RC which together do the damage. I think OG & Manhattan helped to a certain level but then it's upto a person to grasp & apply in the real time.

- Quant had lot of tricky questions. It had some long and confusing word problems. But the key to solve those kind of problems was to remain fully concentrated and not miss anything in the problem statement. Whenever i found that i had time on hand and was ahead of time, i used to resolve the questions. I found 3 mistakes in resolving. And so much so that the original incorrect answer i had found was there as one of the options.

- I used a timing chart found on another website. Before starting the section i would make the table on the sheets given to us - After 10th question, x mins shud remain, after 20th, y mins and so on. I did this for bothe Quant & Verbal. It helped a lot. I think this was one of the best ways to track time.

- I delayed prep for AWA and really started 4-5 days before the actual test. I think this got me 5.0 in AWA. I feel i shud have started earlier. Shud have given myself a couple of weeks and improved upon to get a 6.0. Don't delay AWA till the last moment.

- One more reason why i got 5.0 in AWA. I was feeling good after writing the first essay and hence started the second essay (Issue) on an overconfident note. I didnt bother to stick to the strategy to brainstorm for a couple of minutes and then start writing. I straight away took a side and started writing. 5 minutes into the essay and it occurred to me that the other side offered more persuasive examples. I switched side in the middle of my essay. Though i completed everything in time but then i got 5.0

Special thanx to Psychodementia for all his help, guidance and support during and after my prep. Psychodementia , you rock !

For people not so confident in Verbal, i wud recommend this link, "Crack Verbal", Home . Though i didnt attend the bootcamp as such but i took guidance (not only verbal but all aspects of GMAT & MBA) from the mentor himself and the ideas have really helped me in tangible ways.

And thanx to all the forum members for sharing so much information and knowledge on this forum.

Happy to help for any queries.

-idream

- I used a timing chart found on another website. Before starting the section i would make the table on the sheets given to us - After 10th question, x mins shud remain, after 20th, y mins and so on. I did this for bothe Quant & Verbal. It helped a lot. I think this was one of the best ways to track time.

-idream

Thanks for the info idream , i really liked the above point about Timing chart , i will use that point in tommrrow test