Goizueta Business School Fall 2014 Applicants

Hi All,It’s good to be back on Pagalguy after having gone through a lengthy admissions process last year. About myself- I’m a first year student at Emory’s Goizueta Business School and am starting this thread to help answer any questions about t…

Hi All,

It's good to be back on Pagalguy after having gone through a lengthy admissions process last year. About myself- I'm a first year student at Emory's Goizueta Business School and am starting this thread to help answer any questions about the school that applicants may have.

It has been a great 2-3 months at GBS so far. But having been in those shoes before, I know that applications can be unnerving, and people tend have a lot of unanswered queries. So ask away, and I'll try to answer all of them as best as I can. I'll also try getting some of my classmates here.

I however encourage you to please do your own research first. The details on application deadlines and requirements for this year can be found here:

http://www.goizueta.emory.edu/degree/fulltimemba/admissions/index.html

Here is another thread you can refer: Emory U thread

Cheers,

GBS2015

@GBS2015 , thanks for starting this thread... a few initial questions 😃

1.) R1 vs R2 ... ive heard there are more WL & less scholarships in R1, and its better to apply in R2. Whats your take on it?

2.) Also did you write the optional essay?, any insights would be great. I tried reaching out to the MBA admissions office, but didnt get a good reply..

3.) any info on the consulting scene at Goizueta?, interships, Full-time posts for Internationals?, how is GMSC fit into consulting or is it mainly marketing?

Hi @GBS2015 Thanks for starting this thread. I had a question regarding the one-year MBA vs the two-year MBA. Is there a substantial difference in the course structure, faculty involvement, placements etc?

Hi GBS2015.
I am Gaurav and recently gave GMAT.I scored a 700 and have 3.5 yrs of IT experience till now.I have already applied to Pennstate, ASU and Vanderbilt. I have a limitation of money i have to spend for my MBA.Goizueta is in my dream category of schools.Can you please tell me-
- What are my chances of scholarships at Goizueta?
- Is getting GA possible at this profile?
- Even if no scholarship, how to manage the money involved? I know some options are mentioned on the website but what according to you suits an indian applicant?

Hi @GBS2015 I am a little confused about when the next one-year batch will be starting. Couldnt find a straight answer on the website. Is it going to be in May 2014 or sometime in fall of 2014?

Hi @GBS2015 Can you please let me know how the resume should look like? Should it be in a one page format or can it be a regular job resume time format? Didnt get much info on GBS website.

Did anyone here got an interview call??

Check out the website for new placement stats for 2013!

Edit: Issuu seems to be having issues. So, here's a snapshot:

Share of 2013 class with Offers 3 months after graduation - 98% (2nd year in a row)
Share of 2013 class with Accepts 3 months after graduation - 96%
(2nd year in a row)
Avg Salary - an increase to $104,334 and average bonus - $25,593
Share of 2014 class who had internships this year - 100% (5th year in a row)

Hi @GBS2015
I have applied to R2, for 2014 fall. I have a few doubts:

1. What can I expect for the interview? The kinds of question that the Adcom may ask. I would prefer an in person interview, is this possible even if the Adcom is not planning a visit to India, do GBS alums take the interviews?
2. If there is a skype interview, what kind of clothing do you suggest? A full business suit or a simple formal shirt and a tie.
3. How is the job scene at GBS, especially for the Indian students? I am planning to major in corporate strategy and merger and acquisitions, mainly related to consulting, any special preparation needed for the same regarding the interview process?

I have more doubts, but still keeping the fingers crossed and waiting for adcom's decision on the interview.

My profile:

Male, 26.
Work ex: 3.5 years, will be 4 years if the session starts in August. Indian engineering giant, worked in the project execution department, as project engineer and then became a project lead. My work mainly consisted of project management and project engineering.
B.E. Electrical, 75.8% (Distinction), SGSITS Indore, autonomous institute under RGPV, bhopal.
Pretty decent activities, extra curricular and a little bit of community service as part of CSR activities of my organization.
GMAT: 710 (Q-48; V-39; IR-8; AWA-5.5)

Thanks. Best Regards

JKaustubh

Hi GBS2014, GBS2015

I understand juggling MBA and answering questions on Forum, would not be an easy task.
So kudos to you guys for taking this initiative and helping us(prospective students) out! 😃

Well here is my volley of questions, I am sorry to barge you with these MANY questions! 😛

Q1. Whats the average scholarship given to International Students ?

Q2. Whats the placement scenario, is it so that its easier for certain concentrations and relatively tough for other concentrations ?

Q3. In market or from recruiters perspective, what are the various strengths that Goizueta project. I mean is there a specific concentration that is more famous among recruiters and they are more interested in recruiting students from that concentration.

Q4. I am having an IT background and would like to join IT Company after my MBA as Business Analyst. What are the prospects of IT companies. As I saw, Accenture is one of the companies which recruit as well as provide internship. Which are the other companies, one with similar aspirations can target.

Q5. How much time does it take to repay the loan - average/general idea will be great!

Q6. Whats the range of monthly expenditure of living in Atlanta and pursuing MBA ? If you can provide breakup - Rent, Travelling, Food/Groceries, other amenities, it will be really helpful.

Q7. What are the usual problems which Indian students face over there, during placements ?

Q8. How would you rate Career Services of Goizueta ? Do they take special measures for International Students ?

Q9. What were the qualities you looked for in Goizueta MBA ?

Q10. How is the faculty and staff, I mean as you might have experienced economics, organizational behavior and other such subjects might be new, so how helpful they are and how much is the environment friendly in learning especially from International students perspective ?

If you are reading this, that means you survived this volley - Salute!! 😛 😃

Thanks for going through this painfully long post and so many questions.

Please take your own sweet time to answer, as your answers will be helpful to lot many prospective students!

Thanks again GBS2014 and GBS2015 for taking this initiative! 😃

Have a wonderful time at GBS! 😁

Warm Regards

G13

@Ghost13

Hi GBS2014, GBS2015

I understand juggling MBA and answering questions on Forum, would not be an easy task.

So kudos to you guys for taking this initiative and helping us(prospective students) out!

Well here is my volley of questions, I am sorry to barge you with these MANY questions!

Q1. Whats the average scholarship given to International Students ?

Q2. Whats the placement scenario, is it so that its easier for certain concentrations and relatively tough for other concentrations ?

Q3. In market or from recruiters perspective, what are the various strengths that Goizueta project. I mean is there a specific concentration that is more famous among recruiters and they are more interested in recruiting students from that concentration.

Q4. I am having an IT background and would like to join IT Company after my MBA as Business Analyst. What are the prospects of IT companies. As I saw, Accenture is one of the companies which recruit as well as provide internship. Which are the other companies, one with similar aspirations can target.

Q5. How much time does it take to repay the loan - average/general idea will be great!

Q6. Whats the range of monthly expenditure of living in Atlanta and pursuing MBA ? If you can provide breakup - Rent, Travelling, Food/Groceries, other amenities, it will be really helpful.

Q7. What are the usual problems which Indian students face over there, during placements ?

Q8. How would you rate Career Services of Goizueta ? Do they take special measures for International Students ?

Q9. What were the qualities you looked for in Goizueta MBA ?

Q10. How is the faculty and staff, I mean as you might have experienced economics, organizational behavior and other such subjects might be new, so how helpful they are and how much is the environment friendly in learning especially from International students perspective ?

If you are reading this, that means you survived this volley - Salute!!

Thanks for going through this painfully long post and so many questions.

Please take your own sweet time to answer, as your answers will be helpful to lot many prospective students!

Thanks again GBS2014 and GBS2015 for taking this initiative!

Have a wonderful time at GBS!

Warm Regards

G13

Hi, sorry for the late response, but it's just been that kind of week. Lots of questions there, and I will try to answer them as best and as concisely as I can.

1. Scholarships are mainly decided (among other things) by your GMAT scores, the higher your GMAT invariably the higher the scholarship. Scholarships can range from 20% of your tuition to a full ride.
2. Finding a job IS tough for international students, but I would suggest focusing on what you want to do post MBA, rather than focusing on which jobs are easier to get.
3. Students get placed in finance, marketing, consulting, general management etc. depending on what they bring to the table. GBS has a strong brand and reputation, and no one concentration is preferred over the other.
4. IT is a huge industry where you could perform many functions. You might wanna think about which of those functions you want to pursue in an IT company (fyi, Accenture recruits for consulting, and they do not sponsor international students).
5. Would depend on what your loan amount is (which would be a function of your tuition amount, your scholarship, how/where you decide to stay i.e single/shared etc, and other factors).
6. You'll find some numbers on the school website.
7. Number of companies sponsoring visas are few.
8. The GBS CMC is very helpful with job search, and yes they do take special measures to help international students find jobs, but the final onus is on you to do so.
9. I think you mean, what was I looking for that made me choose GBS? The answer would be small class, collaborative culture, close knit community, ATL is a great city.
10. Faculty is amazing and the professors really push you to give your best. Staff as well as faculty are very friendly and approachable, and the learning environment is fun and stimulating.

@jkaustubh

Hi @GBS2015 I have applied to R2, for 2014 fall. I have a few doubts:1. What can I expect for the interview? The kinds of question that the Adcom may ask. I would prefer an in person interview, is this possible even if the Adcom is not planning a visit to India, do GBS alums take the interviews?2. If there is a skype interview, what kind of clothing do you suggest? A full business suit or a simple formal shirt and a tie.3. How is the job scene at GBS, especially for the Indian students? I am planning to major in corporate strategy and merger and acquisitions, mainly related to consulting, any special preparation needed for the same regarding the interview process?I have more doubts, but still keeping the fingers crossed and waiting for adcom's decision on the interview.My profile:Male, 26.Work ex: 3.5 years, will be 4 years if the session starts in August. Indian engineering giant, worked in the project execution department, as project engineer and then became a project lead. My work mainly consisted of project management and project engineering.B.E. Electrical, 75.8% (Distinction), SGSITS Indore, autonomous institute under RGPV, bhopal.Pretty decent activities, extra curricular and a little bit of community service as part of CSR activities of my organization.GMAT: 710 (Q-48; V-39; IR-8; AWA-5.5)Thanks. Best RegardsJKaustubh

Hi JKaustubh,
Interview invites are sent a week to a month after your application, depending on how many applications they receive. Typical interview questions include a resume walkthrough, why MBA, why now, why GBS, questions about your work/experience, achievements etc. The interviews are very conversational and generally there aren't many curveballs, so if you prepare these questions thoroughly you will be fine. I will try posting a list of interview questions that you guys could use as reference.
If I remember correct, only round 1 interviews are in-person., all rounds thereafter happen virtually (but that may have changed). Typically you do not have the option of deciding the medium of interview, unless you can travel to Atlanta and interview on campus. For a virtual interview (or in-person interview), the dress code is business formals-shirt, suit and tie.
I have addressed some of the job related questions below.
Your profile looks good, just work on your interview responses, and tie your past experience to what your career goals are.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

GBS 2015

Hey GBS2015

Thanks for your reply.. It was really great to read some answers.

Can you give any tips regarding the Essays. What are the qualities which GBS looks out for in any prospective student. Any tips regarding the applications, can be helpful.
How to make it different, or any other recommendations etc. 😃

Moreover, I have found out that GBS gives loan to International Students without US co-signor, so in case you get admitted, you can apply for that loan and show in I20 ?

BTW if you don't mind could you please share your own monthly expenditure and its various details, this will help in getting a ballpark figure.

Please if you don't feel comfortable in answering the last part, just ignore it. Ill understand. 😃

Top of the list in percent of class placed for the second year in a row!

has any one of the R2 applicants got the invitation for interview??

First of all, thank you GBS2014, and GBS2015 for the wonderful insights for the GBS and also answering our questions.
I am a Round 2 Applicant from India and I am keen to be a part of GBS community.
I have a couple of queries regarding the application process:
1. Do the interview invitations extend till the Decision Date (30th Jan, 2014)?
2. I have also applied for the Social Enterprise@Goizueta fellowship in R2 itself. It has been almost 21 days since my submission, and I am yet to get the receipt from Social Fellows, despite a couple of follow ups. Do you have any advice about how to proceed here?

Regards,
Som

@Some2609

First of all, thank you GBS2014, and GBS2015 for the wonderful insights for the GBS and also answering our questions.

I am a Round 2 Applicant from India and I am keen to be a part of GBS community.

I have a couple of queries regarding the application process:

1. Do the interview invitations extend till the Decision Date (30th Jan, 2014)?

2. I have also applied for the Social Enterprise@Goizueta fellowship in R2 itself. It has been almost 21 days since my submission, and I am yet to get the receipt from Social Fellows, despite a couple of follow ups. Do you have any advice about how to proceed here?

Regards,

Som

Hi,
Glad to know that you are considering Goizueta.

Interview invitations are generally sent out in advance, but if you do not hear anything till close to the decision date, it does not mean its a ding. You could have been put on waitlist and they may interview you in subsequent rounds. So there is no need to panic.
Social Enterprise and other centers will send out their decision, if and only AFTER you receive an admit confirmation from the admissions office. So I'd advice not writing to them now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
GBS 2015

Hey All,
It's that time of the year! We are done with the semester, and Goizueta has planned coffee chats all over the globe for prospective students this winter. We understand how important and useful it is to speak to current students about their MBA experience. If you are interested to know more about the school in general/the courses/MBA life at Goizueta, or just want the opportunity to gain the perspective of a current Goizueta student, do sign up!

Fortunately this time around we have many slots for India, and so coffee chats have been planned for Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai. Refer to the link below for more information, and if you are interested, please email the student directly to confirm your attendance.

Hope to see many of you there.

Cheers,
GBS 2015

Hi GBS2014 and GBS 2015,

I have a Round 1 admit from Goizueta for the One year program and I have confirmed my acceptance. I wanted to know about the housing options available for graduates. If I stay in Post Braircliff, I wanted to know the rentals and if we are allowed to share rooms.

Any Round 1 admits here in this thread?

Regards,

Kaushik