Goizueta Business School Fall 2013 Applicants

Hey everyone! Good to be back on Pagalguy after having gone through a lengthy admissions process last year. I’m a first year student at Emory’s GBS and am starting this thread to avoid usage of the old 2012 applicants thread for the current…

Hey everyone!

Good to be back on Pagalguy after having gone through a lengthy admissions process last year. I'm a first year student at Emory's GBS and am starting this thread to avoid usage of the old 2012 applicants thread for the current year.

Along the lines of the previous thread, I encourage you to ask me any questions. I'll try getting some other classmates of mine here too.

Please do your own research first though. Here is another thread you can refer: Emory U thread

Also, who's coming down to ATL for Super Saturday next weekend?
What's that? Hadn't heard of it? Well those of you who're nearby, it'll give you a great idea of what your time here will be like.

Cheers,
2014 Goizueta Ambassador #42

Thanks for making this thread GBS2014, though I dont know what to ask. Am sure Ill come up with something 😁

Hi GBS2014,

Donot know if this it the right forum to ask this question.
I am a fall 2013 full time MBA aspirant.Went thrgh the essays of Emory Goizueta but didnot find a place to write about Why Goizueta?

This is definitely the right place to ask that question.

And you can tie that response into your short term goals. Explain how the goals tie into what Goizueta will offer to you. For example, if you say you want to work in Hollywood and Emory is your first choice, the AdCom is unlikely to believe you. :)

Wouldnt it be better to tie that in the Why MBA now question? But the thing is, its almost impossible. Only 150 words :S

Yes!! 150 word limit is really a challenge. but its good that it has multiple supporting essays. you can use those.

@mausam.deb are you applying for one year or two year EMORY program?

1 year program... but wondering shall I go for R1 or R2 as this is not my first option...my first option is expected to let me know the decision in Jan, hence confused.

PS: having problem in keyboard excuse my typos :P
@mausam.deb said: Yes!! 150 word limit is really a challenge. but its good that it has multiple supporting essays. you can use those.
What you mean supporting essays? You mean the optional one? BTW I am applying to 2 year program, and even I have 8 yrs exp.

Hi GBS2014. I'm in.

GMAT: 660 (writing again in Nov 2012)
Work exp: 3 yrs (till date) with a Big 4 (got gr8 career progression and a couple of awards) in a corporate finance-cum-research role
Acads: BBS (Finance), Delhi University (Top tier college but awful acads)
EC: Exceptional

I'm looking to apply in Round 2.

Here's my volley of Q.s:
1) How many Indian students are there in the current batch? How many of them got a 50% or above scholarship? How many with full-riders?
2) Have Indian students found jobs in consulting/finance domain?
3) What profiles are offered by the Big4 audit firms (especially E&Y;)
4) Are there any companies in the natural resources (mining, oil, gas) sector recruiting for corporate finance roles? I'm interest in consulting/i-banking/corporate finance roles with a focus on natural resources.
5) How many students in the present GBS class have a master's degree, CPA and CFA?
6) What's the average GMAT for Indian students? What was the lowest GMAT score for an Indian accepted to the GBS class?
7) Can you share the break-up of experience of Indians €“ IT, Finance, Consulting, Others - in the present GBS class?
8) How is grading done €“ Break-up between class participation, exams, attendance, etc.
9) How is the reputation of the undergrad institution factored in vis-  -vis the undergrad scores?

Sorry for asking too many Q.s in one go. But I hope you'll be able to answer most of them.

Thanks in advance !!

Hi GBS,

Have a question:

I was looking at the 1 year mba program and the statistics, microeconomics and Financial accounting courses should be completed before hand. I am not sure where in India you can find any instititutions that will give these courseS? Are you guys aware? Or any online course?

Please let me know.

Hey GBS,

Heard that last year there were no calls in Round 1 for Indian applicants below 740..is it??

@batiatus said: Hi GBS2014. I'm in.
GMAT: 660 (writing again in Nov 2012)
Work exp: 3 yrs (till date) with a Big 4 (got gr8 career progression and a couple of awards) in a corporate finance-cum-research role
Acads: BBS (Finance), Delhi University (Top tier college but awful acads)
EC: Exceptional
I'm looking to apply in Round 2.
Here's my volley of Q.s:
1) How many Indian students are there in the current batch? How many of them got a 50% or above scholarship? How many with full-riders?
2) Have Indian students found jobs in consulting/finance domain?
3) What profiles are offered by the Big4 audit firms (especially E&Y;
4) Are there any companies in the natural resources (mining, oil, gas) sector recruiting for corporate finance roles? I'm interest in consulting/i-banking/corporate finance roles with a focus on natural resources.
5) How many students in the present GBS class have a master's degree, CPA and CFA?
6) What's the average GMAT for Indian students? What was the lowest GMAT score for an Indian accepted to the GBS class?
7) Can you share the break-up of experience of Indians – IT, Finance, Consulting, Others - in the present GBS class?
8) How is grading done – Break-up between class participation, exams, attendance, etc.
9) How is the reputation of the undergrad institution factored in vis-à-vis the undergrad scores?
Sorry for asking too many Q.s in one go. But I hope you'll be able to answer most of them.
Thanks in advance !!
Ok, here goes.

1. 12. Several. None this year, afaik. [At least one Chinese got a full ride though] - It depends on the competitiveness of the applicant pool in that year.
2. Our seniors have. We haven't even started looking for internships.
3. I'm not sure. But apart from mgmt consulting roles, there are some roles in audit, tax , tech consulting, etc., too.
4. Yes, they do. At least one of our seniors got an internship with Exxon. Dunno about sponsorship though.
5. Tough question. Atleast 6-7 have CPA/CFA. Dunno about masters.
6. Dunno about average, but most Indians here have had 700+ scores.
7. I know that not all are IT or consulting.
8. Depends on the professor taking the class. But grades don't matter much here due to the non disclosure policy. Companies aren't given your grades.
9. Reputation and scores are both important. Dunno to what degree.

Phew.

Goizueta Ambassador #42.

@suchit.pandey said: Hey GBS,
Heard that last year there were no calls in Round 1 for Indian applicants below 740..is it??
That might be true, but I wouldn't read into it too much. I wouldn't read into it at all actually. Rounds don't matter all that much. The only rule of thumb you should go by, is that earlier the better. But not if you're not prepared.

Hi I did not fine a forum for 1 year course..

I am planning for the 1 year course. It says that apart from having an Engineering degree I must complete courses in Microeconomics, Statistics and Business Finance. Can anyone guide me from where can I do those courses. Do they need to have a credit transfer system?
@mausam.deb this courses are mandatory before you join the program. it is not mandatory for i/v. got to know from the adcom that if selected , they will provide the necessary guidance on the places (online/offline) where you can complete the courses .
@anaik100 I got to know they are referring to some course at Univ Cal Barkley, which cost around USD 7000 and 9 mnths time. I wonder how feasible that is.

Do you know that the college accepts non credit hour certificates?
@mausam.deb all my discussions happened at the i/v :). the deputy director told me not to worry about it now and just submit my applications :D
i did ask her if i should register to some county colleges (which will be sure cheaper then $7k) for my credits. she answered that they will provide a list of resources later.
so no much chances of questioning.
@anaik100 did you schedule on campus interview in advance? could you please provide brief about your interview ? Your tips would help us prepare better in case we get through the preliminary filtering 😃

Thanks in anticipation.