Goa Institute of Management Admissions 2008 HelpDesk

Hey MBA aspirants … Goa Institute of Management has come up with admission notification last week… So those who would like to apply for GIM can ask questions here … I along with my batchmates would try to clarify them … … You can a…

Hey MBA aspirants ...
Goa Institute of Management has come up with admission notification last week....
So those who would like to apply for GIM can ask questions here .... I along with my batchmates would try to clarify them .. ..
You can also visit the threads Life @ GIM in life at B School thread ... there you find pics of GIM and activities going on there ......
Happy studying !:)
MAK
Thnx a ton dude!!
I ws eagerly waitin 4 sumbudy frm GIM 2 tk d initiative.
I hv a lot of ques 2 ask as im xtremely intrstd in gettin in2 GIM dis year.
Firstly, Cutoff??
Sectionals if ny??
Placement scenario??
Intake??
Kind of companies dat visit campus??
Types of profiles offered??

nw i knw those r a lot of ques...but thn i guess it jus goes 2 show hw eager i am 2 get in!!lolol
Hope u answer all of dem..........??:
Thnx
One more query along with the above...
How do you rate GIM with other B-Schools ? :neutral:

Thanks in Advance

Thnx a ton dude!!
Firstly, Cutoff??
Sectionals if ny??
Placement scenario??
Intake??

nw i knw those r a lot of ques...but thn i guess it jus goes 2 show hw eager i am 2 get in!!lolol
Thnx
Hey MBA aspirants ...
Goa Institute of Management has come up with admission notification last week....
So those who would lik to apply for GIM can ask questions here .... I along with my batchmates would try to clarify them .. ..
You can also visit the threads Life @ GIM in life at B School thread ... there you find pics of GIM and activities going on there ......
Happy studying !:)
MAK

Hi ,

Great Initiative Mandar , GIM and pagalguy go back a long way ... and every year GIM seniors have set standards when it comes to answering queries and giving sound advise .
I know that you and your batchmates will continue this tradition this year too..

All the very best to you guys and to the aspirants , I wont be able to take an active part in this thread ( placements are due )..

But if anyone needs me , I am always there to help .

GIM is a wonderful institute and offers a wonderful combination of Excellent education in a wonderful place like Goa ...

I didnt even realise how did time fly by so quickly , It was only yesterday that I came with dreamy eyes to GIM ... I assure you all that you will never ever regret your decision to join GIM over the other bloated placement figure toting Bschools ...

GIM placements of last year were covered live by Pagalguy team , and the sheer transparency of which was appreciated by everyone ....

Mandar will provide you with the links for those articles .. He and his batchmates will provide you a real practical view of GIM , and its resources ..

A couple of days ago Prof Kshama Fernandes , a senior faculty in the finance area was interviewed on BBC , on the Infrastructure issues in Mumbai .

You can google her name to find out more about her..

Please feel free to ask any queries , Youcan also go through the website Goa Institute of Management, Ribandar Goa India, India's premier Management Institute.
One more query along with the above...
How do you rate GIM with other B-Schools ? :neutral:
Thanks in Advance

Lets not get into the rating of B schools as that will be an exercise in futility. GIM is one of the premier B-schools in the country which consistently features in the list of top 20 B-schools in terms of rankings.
Hey Sahil
Nice to know that you are very mch interested in GIM ....
Getting down to your questions first ...
last year the cut off was 90 %ile and year bfore last it was 85%ile .... so thre was a jump of nearly 5%ile in cutoff ..... But cut off really depends on the no of applications ...so hard to guess
There are no sectional cutoffs ...... So try to maximise score in your stronghold :)
Regarding placement ..... exact fig you can find on the website ...pl note tht these are not exaggerted fig ... ..( at GIM a lot of emphasis is paid towards intellectual honesty and correct fig r quoted even if it is low !)
The highest for tht batch was 9 lacs .....
Companies which come, You can find from the website .....
The proiles offered at GIM are improving ... I ll b in a better position to ans in dec only....
We ll be shortly loading a video on GIM website abt the life at GIM ..
U can c pics of GIM clicked by me in Life@GIM thread .....
Abt rating ...recenty sme magazine ranked GIM as 16th in India in Pvt BSchool
n I ll tel u why it is ranked 16th...cos neither we advertise in these maganizes ...neither we pay them any money ....
n I will tel u why GIM should be ranked ahead of many B schools
1. Total transperancy .... we take XAT scores n dont conduct our own exam
2. Non Profit making org .... there are no management quota in GIM ... only 120 general quota seats .... so no undertable exchange of lacs for a seat ....
3. Our full time faculty is more den many of these so called top B schools
4. Placement fig are genuine
5. Tution fee is one of lowest in the country.... GIM charges 3 Lacs for 2 years ...this incudes all tution fees, text books , hostels etc
6. we offer only one course ie .PGDBM and all the institute resouces are devoted for it ....unlike other Bscools
7. we have international linkages with3 Business Schools in Europe, which indeed is a great advantage.
Any more questions ...i ll be happy to answer..........
Happy studying
Thnx a ton dude!!
Firstly, Cutoff??
Sectionals if ny??
Placement scenario??
Intake??
Thnx

Dear GIM Aspirants
Pl check out the GIM admissions notice wch appeared in newspapers ...
regds

Mandar... You doing great job mate. :thumbsup:

Cleared a lots of our queries. :D

However, i would request you to avoid comparison with that certain B-school in Pune. 😃 (In fact, i don't think i really understand which B-school u are talking about).

Presenting good facts about your B-school is fine. But is there a need to take potshots at some other B-school? Please think about it :)

Otherwise, you are doing great work.

In fact, i am inclined to apply to GIM after reading the facts listed down by you. 😃

Hey Deep
One of he aspirants asked me to rank .... so i thought of presenting my observations in front of u people ... there is no intention of comparisions with other B Schools, bt the intention is to present facts ... n I have not named any B school for tht matter ....
You r Welcome to apply for GIM :)
Best of Luck in your Mocks n XAT

Mandar... You doing great job mate. :thumbsup:

Cleared a lots of our queries. :D

However, i would request you to avoid comparison with that certain B-school in Pune. 😃 (In fact, i don't think i really understand which B-school u are talking about).

Presenting good facts about your B-school is fine. But is there a need to take potshots at some other B-school? Please think about it :)

Otherwise, you are doing great work.

In fact, i am inclined to apply to GIM after reading the facts listed down by you. :)

Hey Mandar,
Thnx a ton dude!!
Really appreciate d effort!!!
hope 2 b thre nxt year!!
Jus keep up d gud wrk........kudos!!!

Woah ! Nice to be back on a forum (Yuk, i so so hate to call PG just a forum).

Guess, this post of mine must have come after months. The threads on PG have been setting exceptional standards for some time, and as far as GIM threads are concerned, i myself have been witness to a legendary "GIM Information Centre" for more than couple of eventful years.

I have witnessed an unprecedented growth in quality on these threads in terms of the quality and kind of the questions asked and apparently more or so, in the manner they were answered or brushed aside when something like comparisons were asked for.

I am sure that the current lead, though i do not know many of them will make sure that they take it a greater height.

In general, based on my experience at GIM and the kind of admission queries, i can say this at the moment.

- GIM does not work on cut off criteria. This means, whilst giving calls out we do not identify a cut off and send calls out. Rather, GIM sorts the absolute scores of candidates who have applied to GIM through XAT in decreasing order and then sends calls to app 1000 candidates from the top.
An increasing percentile cut off every year just shows that the quality of students applying to GIM is improving drastically YoY. if i rem correctly the cut off have been,

2005-07: Between 82 - 83 pc
2006-08: Between 84 - 85 pc
2007-09: Between 90 - 91 pc

However, the only rider is that though we never had a sectional minimum floor, an absolutes negative score in any of the sections (generally quant is the culprit) disqualifies a candidate from GIM selection. Then as per the understanding between GIM and the Government of Goa, calls to all Goan domicile applicants are sent who are 10pc less than the lowest applicant in the general category. Keep in mind, that this is the only preference GIM gives to Goan domicile. After this stage all are equal.

- Finally, the conversion to GIM post XAT depends on the following weights. XAT Score - 0.5
GD and PI - 0.3
Past Acads - 0.1
Work ex (if any) - 0.1

* some one on campus can confirm if the weights have changed.

And most important of all, the essay whilst taking XAT has nothing to do with GIM admissions process.

In total GIM has 120 seats. For this two lists are sent out on the same day. First list for confirmed 120 seats and then 50 students on WL. As and when some one backs out in First List, WL # 1 gets confirmed ticket.

With experience, the no. of students getting a confirmed ticket from WL Category is reducing YoY due to less no. of First list candidates backing out.

There are absolutely no quotas for admission to GIM and the process is fair and transparent to all, as part of mandatory disclosure to AICTE.

All the very best to all taking the challenges of getting into a B School !

kentech Says
last year the cut off was 90 %ile and year bfore last it was 85%ile .... so thre was a jump of nearly 5%ile in cutoff ..... so if the treand continues ...one can easily predict a cutoff of somewhere around 92.5 to 93 %ile ....

Trust me, you just can not predict cut offs for GIM. To keep it simple, its just that the top 1000 or so candidates get a call. Now, it might be 85 pc again or may be 95 too.

Regarding placement ..... the average for batch of 2007 was 6.5 and median was also around 6.5 ...exact fig u can find on the website ...pl note tht these are not exaggerted fig ... this is the fig tht the people will get in hand n does not include perks n all

Mandar, can you recheck this once again. This can not be in hand, or may be your definition of in-hand is different. In general, no institute can declare an in-hand pay as it consists of a lot of factors. Some of them being, the way the co. has designed the packages, the tax structure, your investment criteria, and most important of all, the contribution of Basic on your salary slip.

I suggest, rather than just putting the stats on our own, it would make sense to load the placement report released by the placement cell.

This year, avg should be more than 7.5 lacs ( i am trying to be pessimist)

Ahem ! Shailesh, where shall i come for the treat !

Generally - The basic idea of having a thread on PG is not to advertise about an institute, not to speculate on some or most of the criteria untill and unless you are sure about it and no comparison across B Schools at all. I know its a hard time being on PG and answering questions and more or so, its a very thankless job at times, but this being said one should make sure that the comments posted by a schooler has a lot of weight. A whole family of more than lacs of aspirants depend on these facts to take their career decision. I am sure most of us did that. Hence, lets be a part of the good decision making of people.

And yes, no SMS lingo on PG. Rules prohibit that. Plus, let us back our data by factsheets and references. If i do not have the data in hand, i will as well post it two days later on confirmation. A 10pc wrong information due to guessing can be harmful. Lets remember that GIM Info Centre was voted one of the best threads in the previous years and it should live upto its expectations.

Happy posting !

Kya baat hai Sir, Internal moderation chalu hai GIM ka?? :grin:Ye Shailu ko thoda tight rakhna zaroori bhi hai vaise(shailu de le gaaliyaan jitni bhi deni hai and then you have the option to groan also)
Well good to see you back and hope to see more of you now
And kindly PM me your current number as "the Airtel number I can try is now temporarily out of service"

Regards,
Andy :)

Sourav,
Kudos, hats off, standing ovation...............!!!!
That was an extremely informative post, espcially 4 sumbudy like me whoz really keen on getting into GIM this year.
Really appreciate the effort!!
(P.S.: The shortlisting criteria has really been an eye opener!!)

andy_jaan Says
Internal moderation chalu hai GIM ka??

Atleast we are making sure that Mods can pass through GIM thread without putting much efforts in moderating the same and breathe easy. To put on record, and Monil will ratify the same, we hardly let the situations go out of hand and mods never had to think much about this thread !

Well good to see you back and hope to see more of you now
Can not really say.. May be i can drop in on weekends !

And kindly PM me your current number
Done sire!
Dear Sourav
Thanks for pointing out the anamolies in the way of posting. Care will be taken in future.
Also, Your post is quite informative and will definatly help the new applicants.
Cheers :)
Woah ! Nice to be back on a forum (Yuk, i so so hate to call PG just a forum).

Guess, this post of mine must have come after months. The threads on PG have been setting exceptional standards for some time, and as far as GIM threads are concerned, i myself have been witness to a legendary "GIM Information Centre" for more than couple of eventful years.

All the very best to all taking the challenges of getting into a B School !

Mandar bhai great job. Keep going. You seem to have taken the reins of the PG very well from shailesh bhai

cheers!!!!

GIM Rocks

Dear Friends
The GIM bulletin has been uploaded on the website ....
If your copy doesnt reach on time ... one can there
Hope you guys are doing well in mocks
Cheers

Had a sneak at the Admissions Bulletin 2008.

Its nicely made and seems to have the right mix of information in a nutshell.

It is nice to see that we have loaded a pdf version of the same on the web this year for those who do not get a copy of the same on time due to incomplete postal address or one outside the courier limits. My only worry is about the size of the same. Its a good 16 MB file and not everyone is fortunate to have access to a great internet connection.

I will try to work on its size and may be upload a compressed version of the same on this thread.

This being said, its a must that one goes through the document in detail. It is a good FAQ for most of the questions we have.

All the best puys !

PS - Can i apply to GIM once again? :