GMAT Verbal Prep

Hi Guys, I am planning to take GMAT in February and have already started the prep. I am almost done with my Maths and is pretty much confident about it. But when i started with Verbal i found it a bit difficult, i am studying on my own and h…

Hi Guys,

I am planning to take GMAT in February and have already started the prep. I am almost done with my Maths and is pretty much confident about it. But when i started with Verbal i found it a bit difficult, i am studying on my own and have Manhattan GMAT complete strategy guide set and OG with me. Please suggest me another good book in verbal, i am confused in princeton, kaplan etc.

Thanks.

If you can get "Crack Verbal"material. It will be great.

1. Stop worrying and collecting tons of resources especially for Gmat Verbal Part.

2. Get the concepts first ! Then master the test !

Mastering Content -> For example , if you want to master Sentence correction, master the basic grammar and major error types. Understand the logical meaning a sentence delivers and it can be quite helpful in eliminating a grammatically correct but wrong answer choice.

Mastering the test -> GMAT is a standardized test, so the chances of being surprised with a new question type or concept is relatively low ! It has some common Patterns which can be recognized by solving official questions as much as possible. For example, in critical reasoning there might be few answer choices which closely uses the words from the CR question paragraph but yes the answer choice is totally irrelevant to the CR passage. hence you can eliminate. Similarly in SC, generally idioms are used as a trap. we can easily spot an idiom split but it is only a means to encapsulate or hide the bigger error. So instead of fretting over mugging up idioms, use logic, understand major error types and you can easily nail the SC section. Easier said than done, SC pattern recognition comes with a lot and lot of practice. Beware use only official questions like OG 12,OG 13, OG verbal review, GMAT Prep and GMAT Prep Question pack. Unofficial sources may not exactly resemble official questions and does not help you lot either in recognizing patterns or they are poorly constructed only to confuse you further. Understand the traps GMAT lays in it questions. This is how you master the test. This comes with lot of official problem practice and MOCK CATS. However have a conceptual base before attempting this ! Also it is important to not get struck at just mastering the concepts like studying too much grammar for sentence correction section.

3. Timing is something you need to work on, based on your MOCK CATS.

4. Quality over quantity : No matter you end up doing thousands of official problems , but yet many of us fail to improve in verbal section. quality is what matters. Do official problems in sets. spend 30 % of time in answering a problem set and 80 % in analyzing the problems. Identify why each incorrect choice is wrong apart from learning the correct answer choice. See how GMAC sets up traps for a incorrect choice. This is what you call it as pattern recognition.

* I am in the same boat, appeared for GMAT last year but got boomed by verbal ! Planning to give the test again in March / April 2013. I learnt whatever I briefed above, from the knowledge i acquired through some GMAT experts and successful test takers across different forums including PG !

Thanks a lot for your help guys. My life was calm and peaceful until verbal came, so got panicked. Thanks again 😃

i have don't with maths, critical reasoning i m finding very very difficult, how to solve it ?

Hi Guys ,

I am also planning to give GMAT , please help me with some study materials to start .
My mail id : [email protected]
@_kRiSh_ said:
Hi Guys,I am planning to take GMAT in February and have already started the prep. I am almost done with my Maths and is pretty much confident about it. But when i started with Verbal i found it a bit difficult, i am studying on my own and have Manhattan GMAT complete strategy guide set and OG with me. Please suggest me another good book in verbal, i am confused in princeton, kaplan etc.Thanks.
http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-and-gre-prep/gmat-query-center-2010-11-t-55904/p-2194052/r-2896381
Sir Go here :)

Thanks buddy..!!