GMAT to IIMs and ISB

Hi All, I am writing GMAT this September and will aim to apply for IIMs/ISB 1 year MBA program in August 2011. After writing GMAT and getting a scorecard, I plan to quit my IT job and work with my father in our family owned business until I …

Hi All,

I am writing GMAT this September and will aim to apply for IIMs/ISB 1 year MBA program in August 2011. After writing GMAT and getting a scorecard, I plan to quit my IT job and work with my father in our family owned business until I get selected in any of the top tier mgmt institutes in India. The idea is to gain more business knowledge and I feel this will also improve my profile and hence my chances of getting into desired institute.

Do you think this decision will have any positive/negative impact on my MBA dreams?

Profile:

1. Qualification:
    1. BE in Infromation tech from a private Engg college.

2. Work Ex:
    1. 5 years in IT (includes 3 years at US)

3. Acads:
    1. Average (mid 70s throughout)

4. Extra curricular:
    1. Certificates in sports, NCC, corporate events etc.

Worked extensively during my engineering days to set up our family business. We have a factory with ~20 workers.

it is good plan to build ur profile

- u need to have convincing answer on why u did it and how it helped ur business
- also if u can show the growth in ur company after u joined will be a boost
- ur learnings in the business might be tested by the panelist

Hi All,

I am writing GMAT this September and will aim to apply for IIMs/ISB 1 year MBA program in August 2011. After writing GMAT and getting a scorecard, I plan to quit my IT job and work with my father in our family owned business until I get selected in any of the top tier mgmt institutes in India. The idea is to gain more business knowledge and I feel this will also improve my profile and hence my chances of getting into desired institute.

Do you think this decision will have any positive/negative impact on my MBA dreams?

Profile:
  1. Qualification:
    1. BE in Infromation tech from a private Engg college.

2. Work Ex:
    1. 5 years in IT (includes 3 years at US)

3. Acads:
    1. Average (mid 70s throughout)

4. Extra curricular:
    1. Certificates in sports, NCC, corporate events etc.

Worked extensively during my engineering days to set up our family business. We have a factory with ~20 workers.

I agree, majority of the applicants are from the core IT background and I feel working and showing strength in business will make my profile stand out of this pool.

At what stage do I need to explain all this? Is it during the interview or in my essays?