GMAT score 650 and 3.5 yrs experiance...Do i have a chance?

Hi friends! I have been working as a software engineer in Tata Consulantcy Services from 3.5 years (which includes the stint in onsite (US) for 1.5 years). Its a dream for me to pursue MBA in US. I took GMAT today and scored 650. Obviosuly i …

Hi friends!
I have been working as a software engineer in Tata Consulantcy Services from 3.5 years (which includes the stint in onsite (US) for 1.5 years). Its a dream for me to pursue MBA in US.
I took GMAT today and scored 650. Obviosuly i am very disappointed with my score.
Quant (Scaled score - 48, Percentile - 86)
Verbal (Scaled score -31, Percentile - 61))
I know, verbal score is very bad. Although overall score is a bit decent, 61 percentile is horrible.
I have sent my scores to 1. Texas A&M; College Station, 2. Univ of Washington, 3. Michigan State Univ and 4. Univ of Illinois, Urbana.
Now, I am really confused guys!! With this score and experiance, do I have any chance of making it to the Top 30-40 schools? or Shall I take GMAT again? I am not an exceptional candidate. So my essays will be like that of a normal IT professional.
Please let me know whether i have a chance or not. If you can, please tell me the univs i should be should be looking at.
Thank you.
Venkat

of course u have a chance..the thing with Indians is that everyone feels a score below 700 is bad..its not - you are totally fine but make sure you apply to schools where your score is close or around the average score admitted...I know of people with the same score as you getting into top 10 schools but of course the rest of their application package was excellent.

If you cover your other aspects of the application well, you should definitely apply to top 15-30 schools...also consider applying to Canadian and UK schools too - they are not so finicky about scores as compared to US schools.

Hi friends!
I have been working as a software engineer in Tata Consulantcy Services from 3.5 years (which includes the stint in onsite (US) for 1.5 years). Its a dream for me to pursue MBA in US.
I took GMAT today and scored 650. Obviosuly i am very disappointed with my score.
Quant (Scaled score - 48, Percentile - 86)
Verbal (Scaled score -31, Percentile - 61))
I know, verbal score is very bad. Although overall score is a bit decent, 61 percentile is horrible.
I have sent my scores to 1. Texas A&M; College Station, 2. Univ of Washington, 3. Michigan State Univ and 4. Univ of Illinois, Urbana.
Now, I am really confused guys!! With this score and experiance, do I have any chance of making it to the Top 30-40 schools? or Shall I take GMAT again? I am not an exceptional candidate. So my essays will be like that of a normal IT professional.
Please let me know whether i have a chance or not. If you can, please tell me the univs i should be should be looking at.
Thank you.
Venkat

Thanks for your reply puhrince.
I took GRE 5 years ago (expires in Oct 2007) and scored 600 in Verbal, 800 in Quantitive and 570 in Analytical. My score in Verbal is decent. Can I send my GRE score report to B-schools to offset my low score in GMAT verbal?
I am an avid follower of financial markets and was awed by the world of business. I aspire to one among those who manage the business. It might be foolish to quote financial markets as partly responsible for my interest in MBA but that is true 😃
So, I want to pursue MBA in finance. Keeping in mind my profile, could you please let me know the univs I should be looking at.
Thanks!

The top 10 global schools in Finance are below: (source Financial Times)

University of Chicago GSB
University of Pennsylvania: Wharton
New York University: Stern
University of Rochester: Simon
Columbia Business School
Coppead
London Business School
Rice University: Jones
University of Toronto: Rotman
MIT: Sloan

Of these above, Coppead is in Brazil..Rice and Toronto are not the top 10 schools in overall rankings but Toronto is a top 25 global school..so check out both Rice and Toronto before u research others..regarding others, I don't want to list down schools for you - check out the BW,FT and USN rankings - browse the websites of the schools, look at their avg gmat scores, work exp..etc..no one said the appl process is easy.

No,don't think abt sending GRE scores - why would you want to do something which isn't asked for and not a part of the application process?
If u need the rankings list, I have posted the same in the Central Michigan Univ thread in this forum...check my comments about choosing schools as an international student.

Thanks for your reply puhrince.
I took GRE 5 years ago (expires in Oct 2007) and scored 600 in Verbal, 800 in Quantitive and 570 in Analytical. My score in Verbal is decent. Can I send my GRE score report to B-schools to offset my low score in GMAT verbal?
I am an avid follower of financial markets and was awed by the world of business. I aspire to one among those who manage the business. It might be foolish to quote financial markets as partly responsible for my interest in MBA but that is true 😃
So, I want to pursue MBA in finance. Keeping in mind my profile, could you please let me know the univs I should be looking at.
Thanks!

Thanks Boss!
I will do the research!

It matters on your perception and it reflects on your essays.
650/3.5Yrs is not bad for top-30 Schools excepting top-10.

If you are too disappointed with the score, you should really look into yourselves and ask: "Is really re-taking or applying next year worth it?". Determine what you want to do.

Sit down calmly for couple of hours. Re-collect the events in your life and understand what drives you towards your goal. You will see a clear way ahead.

oops - I forgot to add Univ of Rochester (from the top 10 list in finance) as a school where you have a chance too.

hi vappara

the adcom values your appln based on the following not necessarily in the same order :

undergrad acads
gmat
quality & quantity of workex
recos
essays
extra curricular

if one of the above falls apart, make it up in the others. ofcourse, you cant correct your undergrad gpa now, but the other 4 parameters are very much in your control. dont ever fall in to the trap that your workex has been ordinary so your essay also should look ordinary.

look back into these 3.5 yrs of workex, list down whatever activities, good assignments, coordinations, extra responsibilities (howmuchever smaller or insignificant) which has come your way. i suggest you devote 30 min every day for 10 days to work your memory to remember all these things. and then compile and make a wonderful story linking up all these points together. remember a good movie doesnt become super hit by virtue of its story, at the end of the day, a well written screenplay and the director alone can take it greater heights ::satisfie: :satisfie:

and recos, catch your boss or his boss to write a very convincing personalized account about you :>

and rest of the things, i dont have to tell you

never lose heart. all the best.

Thanks a lot quality78, puhrince & mumbai_dude!

Hi,
One more concern! Please clarify.

I have been working as a Software Engineer from 3.5 years. My career goal after pursuing MBA is to become an Investment/Research Analyst. So, in my essays, I am planning to emphasize on my interest in financial markets, the courses undergone and the seminars attended in financial markets.

Although I have a genuine interest and desire to become an Investment Analyst, I am a bit worried about whether specifying about stock markets would send a wrong signal to the Admissions office. What do you think? Do I need be take extra care to differentiate myself from a stock market trader.

Hi,
One more concern! Please clarify.

I have been working as a Software Engineer from 3.5 years. My career goal after pursuing MBA is to become an Investment/Research Analyst. So, in my essays, I am planning to emphasize on my interest in financial markets, the courses undergone and the seminars attended in financial markets.

Although I have a genuine interest and desire to become an Investment Analyst, I am a bit worried about whether specifying about stock markets would send a wrong signal to the Admissions office. What do you think? Do I need be take extra care to differentiate myself from a stock market trader.

hi vappara

i'm no brainer in IB, anything related to telecom, business developement, services marketing, pls shoot....others, pls chip in

hey,
I got a 650 in gmat. I'm actually preparyn for gre n i hadnt prepared for gmat at all. i wanted to postpone gmat but since i dint remmber the date and it was widin a week i couldn't postpone it, so i just went ahead and tuk d test n was pretty surprised . I'm presently doing my engineering in E & C 4th year. I've an NSS certificate and i've been workin part time in a company (actually my dad's) as a manager and i ve done 2 internships in summer vacs in andr company for a perod of 3 months (i.e 6 months in totl). I've a letter of appreciation frm d health ministr rgrdin social srvice n a few odr extra curriculars in school.
What are my chances ? Which universities might i get ? I wanna go in aug 2011. so shud i prepare n give d test again in jan or totli drop d idea of gmat n go ahead wid gre ?:shock:

ohhh ya..n i ve also done a course in six sigma. I'm also certified with a six sigma green belt.
GMAT score -
quants - 48 - 82 percntl
verb - 33 - 66 prcntl
total - 650 - 79 prcntl

plzz reply asap..coz i don ve much tym to apply. i need d list of colls i stnd a chance in..actually wud i stnd a chance in d top 20 ? if not ll do my ms first 😃