GMAT route to IIM A

Hi All: i am Rakshit in 3rd year at Bits Pilani Dubai campus (belong to mumbai) and plan to write the cat/gmat this year for admissions to iim - target, ofcourse, Ahmedabad. I am confused whether i should take the cat or gmat for entering iim…

Hi All:

i am Rakshit in 3rd year at Bits Pilani Dubai campus (belong to mumbai) and plan to write the cat/gmat this year for admissions to iim - target, ofcourse, Ahmedabad. I am confused whether i should take the cat or gmat for entering iims- as i have both options open for me. Would anyone have any direct experience or know someone who has gained admissions into iima based on gmat score. Would appreciate if email ids of such admissions are shared for clarifying all sorts of doubts. All inputs welcome.

Thanks

Hi..

Yes true you satisfy the criteria of being a NRI. However considering the fierce competition for the very limited NRI seats all seats usually go to Experienced People. As the GMAT route is specifically reserved for Indians Abroad who want to study in India the number of applications to the seats available is huge. Your chances for a call are better through CAT as you lack work experience as most of your compettetive GMAT applicants would have.

Hope this helps. I would suggest study hard for CAT and you may get a call .. ALL THE BEST

Hi Jatros 123,

Thanks for your input. I think you may be right , but doesn't the same logic hold for CAT. 2 candidates - one fresh, other with workex -with same score in cat, wouldn't the one with work ex be given preference?

Thanks

Rakshit

No work experience may be an advantage but not having it does not prove disadvantage in CAT..infact even today more than 50 percent freshers get into IIMs and u hav a great chance of gettin into IIMs with a decent score ..good extra curr and good acads ..with or without work ex

Thanks Vaneet for yr quick reply. So you also feel cat is abetter option for ..than gmat. That makes it a mjority !

Thanks

@rk281

I suggest the same, for you, CAT is the best option. Moreso because work ex is a very important factor for GMAT. You must understand the mentality of B-schools takin GMAT scores. They're lookin 4 ppl with at least 1-2yrs of work ex. Of course there are ppl with exceptional profiles who do get accepted with "next 2 nothin" work ex...
N then again, your entire profile is seen, Score, work ex, acad performance, extra curricular, mngmnt exposure et al.
Hope u're getting my point.
As of now, with yourr profile, CAT is the best shot!!

ATB with ur preps

i am curious.... if i relocate to a place out of India for a longish period of time (more than a year hence missing the CAT for the year) which in all probability would be in the US or in Phillipines to pursue an Offshore assignment with my employers--who are a US based company....would i be called an NRI as far as the definitions for the GMAT intake for the IIMA PGP is concerned.

also, if i am abroad for about a year (UK) for padhai would I again be able to apply to the IIMA via the the GMAT route.

please advise.

H.

PS... workex 8ish years highest qual graduation... G-day May 2oo7.

i am curious.... if i relocate to a place out of India for a longish period of time (more than a year hence missing the CAT for the year) which in all probability would be in the US or in Phillipines to pursue an Offshore assignment with my employers--who are a US based company....would i be called an NRI as far as the definitions for the GMAT intake for the IIMA PGP is concerned.

also, if i am abroad for about a year (UK) for padhai would I again be able to apply to the IIMA via the the GMAT route.

please advise.

H.

PS... workex 8ish years highest qual graduation... G-day May 2oo7.

Admission Procedure for Overseas Candidates

Hope this link helps 😃

Well the criteria for IIMs says that you have to be out of country for a stretch of 18 months. So technically you qualify the criteria. IIM's have clearly classified that you should be able to clearly justify the cause of not appearing for CAT. so if they know you have just been sent out of country and you will most certainly return then the argument for not giving the CAT falls weak..
IIMs are smart enough and understand that people positioned Onsite through their employers are usually sent for short term for year or max two and hence it doesnt give them a sufficent comfort with the true NRI status of the candidate.
Coz of such strong competition its more than certain to lose out on real NRI's or foreign nationals..

You can always take your chances though, but according to me it is a far fetched shot. Better way to go through CAT.