GMAT/GRE for ISB

Hey all! I have a query. Let me first introduce myself first. I am working in the IT industry for 2 1/2 yrs now(yeah yeah another IT guy). I have completed my B.E (computers). I had given the GRE in Nov 2001 and got a score of 2140 (Quant …

Hey all!
I have a query. Let me first introduce myself first. I am working in the IT industry for 2 1/2 yrs now(yeah yeah another IT guy). I have completed my B.E (computers).

I had given the GRE in Nov 2001 and got a score of 2140 (Quant - 800, Anal - 760, Verbal 580). I plan to apply to ISB for the year 2006-2007. Now i do plan to take the GMAT soon. But i have also read that ISB considers GRE scores for admission. Now 690 i think is the avg GMAT score at ISB. Does anyone have an idea of what GRE score is considered acceptable at ISB or is a GMAT score given more weightage than a GRE score for admissions? Does anyone know of a student who got into ISB just on a GRE score and not a GMAT score?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, here is the link which says that a GRE score is also accepted:

http://www.isb.edu/pgp/visit/admissions_criteria_whatisb.htm

hi ,
I am in the same dilemma , i wanna apply for the 2006-07 batch but i don;t know should i give GMAT again as i have already given GRE , my score was 1400 ( 770 q , 630 V ) . What is the acceptable scores at ISB for GRE ??? should i apply with the above scores or write GMAT ...

Yes, ISB does accept GRE for admissions (& CAT scores too for provisional admits). So, if your GRE score is good, there is no reason, therotically atleast, that you have to give GMAT. ISB does not have any stated policy of prefering GMAT scores over GRE or CAT. It probably uses a normalisation scheme (which only adcom would know) to arrive at an equivalent GMAT score.

But if you ask me personally, admissions for 2006-07 batch are still a good 6 months away from starting. So, if you are sure that you are going to apply to MBA programs (apart from ISB too), taking GMAT is not a big issue. It only increases you options. & also shows adcom that you were clear abt getting an MBA right from the start. Not that you thought of MS & then decided upon MBA midway.

my opinions strictly.

~ Amit

ISB Co 2006 ( )

i dont know if i m posting at the right place

i want to know is it necessary to have a passport before taking GMAT
as i m not having one.....

can anybody help me on this

i dont know if i m posting at the right place

i want to know is it necessary to have a passport before taking GMAT
as i m not having one.....

can anybody help me on this

Yes u do need a passport...
Infact after 911 for countries like India pakistan etc Identification is only done thru passport.
Get a passport made doesnt take more than 2 mnths..

i m plannin to write gmat for ISB .. can anyone tell me which is the best coachin centre for GMAT in hyderabad

dont knowif iam posting this in the right place. But iam a fresher. r freshers allowed to apply to ISB? what is considered a good gre mark for isb? when is the admission deadline for isb?

srikrishnan Says
dont knowif iam posting this in the right place. But iam a fresher. r freshers allowed to apply to ISB? what is considered a good gre mark for isb? when is the admission deadline for isb?

In very rare cases does ISB take in freshers. AFAIK in 2004 batch there were 2 freshers, one was the youngest CA and the other was an IIT gold medalist. ISB basically focusses on Lateral placements unlike other Indian colleges. If u have a VERY strong application u can apply but I would advise u to take GMAT now and after few yrs of Experience go for ISB

HTH

Cheers

~ Amit
ISB Co 2006 ( )

Wow, Coolioooooooooooooooooo

My Best wishes Amit!!! 😃 😃

Hi,
I have a MS from USA with 1 year industry and 2 years RA experience. My GRE score which I gave in dec 2000 is 2060. What do u guys think r my chances of admission in ISB based on these facts? Any help would b appreciated.
Regards.

Yash

Hey all!
I have a query. Let me first introduce myself first. I am working in the IT industry for 2 1/2 yrs now(yeah yeah another IT guy). I have completed my B.E (computers).

I had given the GRE in Nov 2001 and got a score of 2140 (Quant - 800, Anal - 760, Verbal 580). I plan to apply to ISB for the year 2006-2007. Now i do plan to take the GMAT soon. But i have also read that ISB considers GRE scores for admission. Now 690 i think is the avg GMAT score at ISB. Does anyone have an idea of what GRE score is considered acceptable at ISB or is a GMAT score given more weightage than a GRE score for admissions? Does anyone know of a student who got into ISB just on a GRE score and not a GMAT score?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, here is the link which says that a GRE score is also accepted:

http://www.isb.edu/pgp/visit/admissions_criteria_whatisb.htm

Hi .. I am feeling lucky that i found this thread.. after a horrible score in CAT (91) i could manage only TAPMI... however just couple of months i came to know that ISB accepts a GRE score.. I already got a GRE score (2003) 1410 (but again a poor AWA) ....

So plan to pool up resources to apply for ISB 2006-2007 batch....

this is "[email protected]"

cannt even judge between the 2 optionssss...i.e whether i should go ahead with TAPMI.. i have done my Engg from NIT Alld,2003.. later on in l&T; almost 22 months...

so now in dilemna.. advise requested..

thanks....

hey nilesh i thk 22 months at l&t; are gud enuf and by the time u will join isb u wuill have around 3.5 yrs of workex.

go for isb with gud recos and ur gre score too is gud(isb avg is 1340)
all the best
sudhir

Gave the GMAT today! Got a score of 710 (Quant - 51, verbal 34). Pretty much satisfied. I suppose i could have done much better in verbal, but at the same time 710 is not bad either.

Material Used:

OG - read almost all the Sentence Correction questions around 240 out of the 260 odd).

Kaplan - bought the Kaplan book without the CD.(not kaplan 800). Did not use it all that much, just gave the full-length tests which it had and found the approach to critical reasonsing mentioned in the book helpful.

Princeton review - found it very helpful for Sentence correction.

Powerprep CD - 1st test - 690
Powerprep CD - 1st test - 710
Did not give any other computer based tests.

I registered for the GMAT exactly 2 months earlier....hardly did much the first month. The second month, i got a bit serious and kept aside atleast an hour or 2 per day for GMAT preps. I took just 2 days frm work off the week prior to my test. Went to office on Monday and Tuesday....coz my line of thinking was, i wont accomplish much by studying all day 2 days before - a casual day at work wud maybe ease my nerves....work's not that hectic now.

Coming to the test...
Analytical Writing went off pretty well! Completed both reasonably well before time. Lets see how that goes when i get the official score card.
Then came Quant, i was slow to start off with, checking and double checking each of my answers.....Guys GMAT math is extremely simple if u've prepared for CAT....i scored a pathetic 70 %ile in CAT math. So all you have to concentrate on is verbal, especially sentence correction and RC which have been my pitfall!

Anyways, i was able to answer all quant questions right according to me.

Then came Verbal, it started of with a couple of SC's, then came a small comprehension...then i few CR's and then a BOLD face question...this gave me confidence that i was doing well bcoz someone had mentioned in their earlier posts on another thread that the BOLD face question is an indication of ur doing well..anyways, the questions were relatively reasonable....i found the SC's a bit tough towards the end. got 3 RC's in all, 40, 80 and 60 words respectively.

Final Words of Wisdom!
Guys the GMAT is much much simpler than the CAT. i gave the CAT last year and fared miserably.
verbal - 95 %
quant - 70%
overall - 78 %

Especially GMAT math is way more simpler...just dont make silly mistakes and answer whats asked! verbal, well work on it...practise all OG questions religiously!

Thats it! my 2 paise worth!

Gave the GMAT today! Got a score of 710 (Quant - 51, verbal 34). Pretty much satisfied. I suppose i could have done much better in verbal, but at the same time 710 is not bad either.

Material Used:

OG - read almost all the Sentence Correction questions around 240 out of the 260 odd).

Kaplan - bought the Kaplan book without the CD.(not kaplan 800). Did not use it all that much, just gave the full-length tests which it had and found the approach to critical reasonsing mentioned in the book helpful.

Princeton review - found it very helpful for Sentence correction.

Powerprep CD - 1st test - 690
Powerprep CD - 1st test - 710
Did not give any other computer based tests.

I registered for the GMAT exactly 2 months earlier....hardly did much the first month. The second month, i got a bit serious and kept aside atleast an hour or 2 per day for GMAT preps. I took just 2 days frm work off the week prior to my test. Went to office on Monday and Tuesday....coz my line of thinking was, i wont accomplish much by studying all day 2 days before - a casual day at work wud maybe ease my nerves....work's not that hectic now.

Coming to the test...
Analytical Writing went off pretty well! Completed both reasonably well before time. Lets see how that goes when i get the official score card.
Then came Quant, i was slow to start off with, checking and double checking each of my answers.....Guys GMAT math is extremely simple if u've prepared for CAT....i scored a pathetic 70 %ile in CAT math. So all you have to concentrate on is verbal, especially sentence correction and RC which have been my pitfall!

Anyways, i was able to answer all quant questions right according to me.

Then came Verbal, it started of with a couple of SC's, then came a small comprehension...then i few CR's and then a BOLD face question...this gave me confidence that i was doing well bcoz someone had mentioned in their earlier posts on another thread that the BOLD face question is an indication of ur doing well..anyways, the questions were relatively reasonable....i found the SC's a bit tough towards the end. got 3 RC's in all, 40, 80 and 60 words respectively.

Final Words of Wisdom!
Guys the GMAT is much much simpler than the CAT. i gave the CAT last year and fared miserably.
verbal - 95 %
quant - 70%
overall - 78 %

Especially GMAT math is way more simpler...just dont make silly mistakes and answer whats asked! verbal, well work on it...practise all OG questions religiously!

Thats it! my 2 paise worth!

Hi Sunil_dr

Great Score Man......Congrats !!!

But i have a few questions...........

Firstly, "Found approach to critical reasonsing mentioned in the Kaplan book helpful" ........... can you just illustrate as to what it was. Should one buy it ?

Secondly, What is a BOLD face question ?

Thirdly, where do you stay.........

Thanks
Sumit
Hi Sunil_dr

Great Score Man......Congrats !!!

But i have a few questions...........

Firstly, "Found approach to critical reasonsing mentioned in the Kaplan book helpful" ........... can you just illustrate as to what it was. Should one buy it ?

Secondly, What is a BOLD face question ?

Thirdly, where do you stay.........

Thanks
Sumit

Thanks!
Answers to your questions
1) The book i bought costs just Rs 200. It does not have a CD. If you can afford it, go for the book which comes with the CD which costs arnd 1000 i think, or else you can purchase this book and try and get hold of the CD. I think the material will be the same, whichever KAPLAN book you buy.
2) A bold face question is similar to a critical reasoning question. it has paragraph, in which two differnt statements appear in BOLD. The question then asks in what way the two stmts in bold are related?
3) mumbai!
Thanks!
Answers to your questions
1) The book i bought costs just Rs 200. It does not have a CD. If you can afford it, go for the book which comes with the CD which costs arnd 1000 i think, or else you can purchase this book and try and get hold of the CD. I think the material will be the same, whichever KAPLAN book you buy.
2) A bold face question is similar to a critical reasoning question. it has paragraph, in which two differnt statements appear in BOLD. The question then asks in what way the two stmts in bold are related?
3) mumbai!

Hi

Would you suggest doing CR from Kaplan and SC from Princeton or does Kaplan have good strategies for both......

Since I am also from Mumbai, If you could spare your Kaplan and Princeton with me...

I would PM you if you give a go ahead, then maybe I can give you a call...

Thanks Sumit
Hi

Would you suggest doing CR from Kaplan and SC from Princeton or does Kaplan have good strategies for both......

Since I am also from Mumbai, If you could spare your Kaplan and Princeton with me...

I would PM you if you give a go ahead, then maybe I can give you a call...

Thanks Sumit

Sorry Sumit!

Already promised to give the books to someone else.
What i wud suggest is get all the material you can, go thorugh the different approaches and choose what works for you....as what works for me may not agree with you....just a thought...but yes, i did follow CR frm Kaplan and SC from Princeton.

Hi friends,

Also there is oppportunity in IIM A from this year.
I think this is also a better option .But for this 5 yrs work ex is required. I am a engineer 4 years of work EX. Planning to appear GMAT next year for tha same as well as ISB. Any friend with similar opinion PM me.

Hi, 

Which one will the best Online GMAT test series to try ?Can some one please post the link to it?There are two tests come free after ou register n mba.com.What else?Kindly suggest !