GMAT Cracked - 770 (Q-50, V-45)

Hi Pgites, Finally i gave my GMAT yesterday. Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45) I would like to thank Pagalguy.com as a whole for all the support and motivation which i derived from here. Thanks. Some people i would like to mention in specifi…

Hi Pgites,

Finally i gave my GMAT yesterday.

Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45)

I would like to thank Pagalguy.com as a whole for all the support and motivation which i derived from here. Thanks. Some people i would like to mention in specific:-

Pagalguy/Allwyn - Thanks dude for being an inspiration!! Though we have never met and never talked but your story, your blog, your wharton thread - all these things provided me with all the motivation and gave me courage to pursue my dreams!! Thank you so much!!

Kunal - Thanks dude for giving me confidence that everything is achievable ...your tips were very useful till the end...you gave me the first lesson of Gmat. Thanks!!

Keya - your thread was of immense help, thanks!! thanks for answering all the queries which i posted on your blog....thanks again!!

Iday, Inblue - you two were also the source of inspiration. Thanks for answering my queries whch i posted to you both.

Righty- Thanks so much yaar!! you were the only person who was there with me till the very end. thanks for being a well wisher and i will alwys need your help...thanka again!!

I will post a detailed post about my prep and my D-Day experience soon.

Till then if any of you people want any kindof help in your GMAT prepration just feel free to ping me - or post on this thread....i can also fwd you my maild id/ phone number if there are any specific doubts.
I would be really satisfied if could help even 1 person improve his score by 20-30 points.
Presenty i am located in San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks

P.S. I have posted my GMAT Prepration on posts# 15,16,17
My D-Day Experience on Post # 19

Hi Pgites,

Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45)

I would like to thank Pagalguy.com as a whole for all the support and motivation which i derived from here. Thanks. Some people i would like to mention in specific:-

Congrats on the great score :thumbsup:

ATB with apping

Hi Pgites,

Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45)

Pagalguy/Allwyn - Thanks dude for being an inspiration!! Though we have never met and never talked but your story, your blog, your wharton thread - all these things provided me with all the motivation and gave me courage to pursue my dreams!! Thank you so much!!

Kunal - Thanks dude for giving me confidence that everything is achievable ...your tips were very useful till the end...you gave me the first lesson of Gmat. Thanks!!

Keya - your thread was of immense help, thanks!! thanks for answering all the queries which i posted on your blog....thanks again!!

Iday, Inblue - you two were also the source of inspiration. Thanks for answering my queries whch i posted to you both.

Righty- Thanks so much yaar!! you were the only person who was there with me till the very end. thanks for being a well wisher and i will alwys need your help...thanka again!!

Till then if any of you people want any kindof help in your GMAT prepration just feel free to ping me - or post on this thread....i can also fwd you my maild id/ phone number if there are any specific doubts.
I would be really satisfied if could help even 1 person improve his score by 20-30 points.

Thanks

Congrats mate! That is one awesome score.

We will wait till you post about your preparation and other experiences.

Cheers,
Sumit

congrats man !!!

if i am not wrong, we had a talk once on GMAT 😃 😃 its gr8 to know that u have cracked it....

all the best for apps !!!

u apping this year? if yes, where all??

congrats man !!!

if i am not wrong, we had a talk once on GMAT 😃 😃 its gr8 to know that u have cracked it....

all the best for apps !!!

u apping this year? if yes, where all??

hi amit,

yeah we had a talk about GMAT sometime back when you were bust with CAT perhaps.....its great to know that you are studying in FMS......gr8 man!!
Though initially i planned to app next year and just apply for 2-3 schools this year, just to get the feel of whole process....but now i m thinking to app this year itself, though i will have to be quick because i m already late...

Materials which i used for prep:-

1) Kaplan Premier Program
2) Official Guide Review (OG)
3) Kaplan 800
4) Official Guide Review Verbal
5) Manhattan SC book

Thats it. I did practice some of 1000SC's but didnt find trem useful. So i manily did the above 5 books

Will put a detailed post on my preps soon, actually there's a lot of pending work at my office which i was ignoring since last week....so will post more as soon as i get free....

Congrats on the great score :thumbsup:

ATB with apping

Thanks dude for the wishes!!
Hi Pgites,

Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45)

Thanks

Really cool score !!!!! congo

Are u in CA?
Really cool score !!!!! congo

Are u in CA?

yeah dude i m in CA these days....

Hi Ankush,

Congrats dude. Kool score. I am planning to give my GMAT. It would be great if you could share your prep exp and anny tips that you have on taking GMAT.

Thanks.

Hi ,
Congrats on the great score. Can you tell us if u did CAT prep before this
and also how much did u devoted to GMAT?

regds
himanshu

Hi Pgites,

Scored 770 ( Q-50, V-45)

Thanks

Hey ankush

master blaster man! well done yaar. now take it to logical next step. as always, i remain available for any help required.

Cheers and congratulations once again.

Kunal

Congratualtions dude! Thats an amazing score!

I am into last week of my prep. Would like to know your G-Day experience and also the strategy you followed in the last week before G-Day.

Thanks

Hey ankush

Congrats Man! Which schools are you applying to?

My GMAT Prepration

Finally i got some time to write about my GMAT prepration. I hope it can help some of the people here. Also, thanks so much for the wishes people.

I decided to give GMAT almost an year back when Kunal was preparing for the same 😃 . I still remember how enthusiastic he was for the whole process. Somewhere in the back of mind i always intended to pursue my MBA abroad but it was this guy who gave me all the confidence. So, i just searched for the material and decided to start on my prep in August 2006. But then soon decided not to apply for Fall 2007 and thus didn't prepare for the test and concentrated on my work.

Officially started my prep in Feb 2006. But just 2 weeks after i started my prep i had to move to US. It was a big career move so decided to take that and postponed my GMAT plans. Once i landed in US, i didnt get anytime for first 3 months even to think about GMAT :)
Then in July first week i decided that i have to complete my GMAT by mid August and started my preprations seriously. I had a very hectic work schdule throughout so only got 1.5 hrs to prepare during weekdays and 4-5 hrs during the weekends. But i had made up my mind to complete this thing this time. So i was very regular.
Believe me guys, you have to concentrate to score weel on this test. I had to leave so many parties, so many nice weekend trips here in US. There were 2-3 instances where all my friends were leaving for camping/ driving for the whole weekend and i had to bid them bye and leave for the library. But all this effore finally paid off.

Materials which i referred during my prep:-

1) Official guide 11
2) Kaplan Premier edition
3) Kaplan 800
4) Official Verbal Review
5) Manhattan SC.

I completed Kaplan Premier Edition in Feb itself and its the best book to start the prepration. If you fins that book tough then you can start with Princeton. Princeton is a relatively simle book and one good featire of this books is , its like a story book so you will enjoy reading it. Complete with the Bin questions in Verbal in Princeton.
Also do learn all the strategies given in the Kaplan Premier book. They may look obvious but they are really great. Read through them multiple times and practice questions using them. You will defintely see marked improvement in your accuracy in various sections with this.

When i restrted my preps in July i quicly revised Kaplan Premier and jumped on OG. I had completed 70% OG also in Feb. So completed with OG within next 2 weeks. The first time i did OG, i had an avg accuracy in SC and CR. But second time, i had good accuracy which gave me the required confidence to start with Kaplan 800.

Kaplan 800- the most imp book which i found during my prep. It really helped me improve my SC performace and accuracy. But its only useful if you are already doing averge. I mean if you are scoring 700 in mocks then only you should start with this book, because this book will certanly help you in taking your score from 700 to 750. But this book won't help you in reaching 700 from 650. So its important to know when you have to start with this book. I had a good accuracy in Kaplan 800 which really gave me more confidence.

After Kaplan 800, to shck my accuracy on real questions i started on Official Verbal Review, and had good accuracy except in SC where my accuracy was 79 % this time. Revised OG and Kaplan 800 and practiced some of 1000 SC collection to improve my performance.

Meanwhile i was giving tests regualry in July and August.

Order in which i gave tests:-

Kaplan 1 - 630
Kaplan 2- 670
Kaplan 3- 660

Powerprep 1 - 730

Kaplan 4- 660

Pwerprep2 - 750

GMATprep1 ( 3 weeks before GMAT) - 760(50, 42)
GMATPprep2 - 750 ( 50, 41)

GMATPrep1 ( re-installed) - 750 - some of questions were ssame
GMATPrep2 -2 days before the GMAT - all questions different - 770 ( 50, 45)

I didnt refer any other material. Beleive me guys, this material is sufficient if you use it properly and practice thoroughly.

One other imp thing in GMAT is the confidence you have in yourself. Confidence is the only thing which can make a difference on the D-Day.

AWA- i prepared on last 3 days. Just read some sample essays and wrote 2-3 in time limit and thats it.

There's one quote in which i firmly believe:- "In any game its the guy who is willing to die who is gonna win that game."

All the best people

My D-DAY experience

I took my appointment at 8 AM and i never gave a single test at that time. Many people said that give atleasy one test at 8 but i didnt listen. I believe, Its all in the mind :)
I gave all my mock tests between 10-2PM. Actually i had to go to library to give the tests.
Also before the exam i only slept for 5 hrs. Somehow didnt get sleep till late :(

Anyways, i reached my centre at 715 AM and waited will 730 to enter the center. Those 15 minutes i used for self motivation :)
Entered the exam room at 750AM after completing all the formalities. Selected the schools and then started with AWA. I had the format to write the essays, wrote the essays in that format and was able to put in good ideas in them. All in all was very satisfied with my performace here, given that i had put only 2 days of prep for this section.

Took a 10 minute break in which i had 1 Red bull. Again motivated myslef for the real test now. Started with Quant.

Initially in Quant questions were easy and i was rechecking all the answers will Q10. but after Q10 difficulty level started increasing and questions were taking lot of time. I speeded up after Q 17 and didnt recheck any of my answers after that. I got some 2-3 probability questions in between which i was able to answer. Overall the difficulty level was same as that of GMATPrep. For the last question i had 2 minutes and i strated it leisurely. It involved some large calculations and finally when i came with answer, it didnt match any of the choices, and only 15 seconds were left. I had to guess this one. I knew that i wil not be able to hit 51 in Quant. Anyways, my aim was only 50, not 51. I knew with 50 in Maths i can still do well. So i was satisfied.

Now took another 10 minutes break. I took another red bull :). Looked into the mirror, said to me that here starts the most imp 75 mintues test. It all depends on these 75 minutes whether i will make it or not, so just motivated myself to have confidence and give my best shot.

Started verbal with 2 SC's, average ones. Then came an easy CR.
Got my first RC at Q3 which i marked comfortably and i was confident of my accuracy till now. Then came a series of SC's and CR's. SC's were getting difficult. At Q 10 gt my second RC of 4 questions. It was a large RC but i handled it well. After this there were 3-4 SC's in line, some of which were difficlut and toom time. Then at Q24 giot my third RC which was small but a difficult one. At Q33, git my last 4th RC, average length and avg difficulty. After Q31 it was getting difficuly for me to concentrate because the feeling of result kept coming in my mind. Tried hard and was able to concentrate for some more moments, but i had increased by speed now to complete the test ASAP. Also after 15 th question my spped reduced due to difficulty, so i had to increase my spped after 28th question to bring it back to 2 minutes per queestion. This is imp because last questions are imp and you should have time for them. Finally i had 12 mintes for last 5 questions. took my time for these question. Also now i was worried since i didnt get any bold face CR till now. So again i felt difficult to concentrate.

Finally Q40 was a bold faced huge CR which was very difficult in which i took 3.5 minutes. Then for last question i had 2.5 minutes till left. Makred it it 1/2 minute and clicked on next with 2 minutes still to go.

Now, i could hear the beat of my heart and was feeling very tense. THe bad ting is you have to fill an 8 page survey after the verbal section and i was getting very tense while filling it :).

Finally i got the screen to accept / reject scores. And clicked on report scores. The page haged to calculate my score and for me the whole world hanged in those 5 seconds. i Colsed my eyes and prayed. When i opened my eyes, i saw 770 ( 50, 45) - was shoced for 2 minutes. Didnt utter a word just kept looking at the screen.

Thanked God, looked out of the window to check if everything is real 😃 and called the test admin. She asked me to click next. Didnt want to get past that screen but clicked on End test.
Took print out of the score, switched on my phone and already my friends were calling me :).

So this is my D-Day story, if you people have any doubt you can always ping me, take my mail id /phone number and we can take it forward from there.

Thanks guys