GMAT Cracked - 740 (Q-49, V-41), AWA 6.0

Hi Puys, Been somewhat late in getting this thread started. I took the GMAT on 30th May 2008, and managed to score 740 (V-41/Q-49), AWA 6.0. I had expected higher in Q and lower in V, but the surprise was overall pleasant, afterall. I ad…

Hi Puys,

Been somewhat late in getting this thread started. I took the GMAT on 30th May 2008, and managed to score 740 (V-41/Q-49), AWA 6.0. I had expected higher in Q and lower in V, but the surprise was overall pleasant, afterall.

I admit that I had not viewed PG as a forum for GMAT prep, but turns out that there are lot of people who do so. Will post my prep story and D-Day experience pretty soon.

Whatever questions you may have, please shoot - I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

Hi Puys,

Been somewhat late in getting this thread started. I took the GMAT on 30th May 2008, and managed to score 740 (V-41/Q-49), AWA 6.0. I had expected higher in Q and lower in V, but the surprise was overall pleasant, afterall.

I admit that I had not viewed PG as a forum for GMAT prep, but turns out that there are lot of people who do so. Will post my prep story and D-Day experience pretty soon.

Whatever questions you may have, please shoot - I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

Thats a great score.Could you please share your perparation strategy and the books which you referred for your gr8 score?

Preparation Strategy:

I had browsed through the net looking for GMAT prep advice, and based upon what I found, I decided to use the following books for my GMAT prep:

1. Kaplan GMAT Review (I got the 2008 edition)
2. Princeton Review (I got the 2008 edition)
3. Official Guide (OG) (I got the 11th edition - not sure whether this is the latest)

I had a fleeting thought that I would subscribe to ScoreTop. In hindsight, good that I didn't.

I purchased Kaplan and Princeton together, this was in February 2008 I think. However, all of a sudden my workload increased and for quite some time I had to let them go. Finally, in April I managed to start studying again.

Another noteworthy event during this time was that I resigned from my job to take up another one. I deliberately decided to be at home for a month and a half and study. I negotiated my joining date with the new company and then took the last available GMAT slot before this - 30th May 2008.

This is my feedback about the three books:

Kaplan GMAT Review: Excellent for overall study. Got 630 & 650 in their CD companion tests

Princeton Review: Very good for brushing up your basics. The AWA templates part is excellent

OG: Indispensible. Solve it entirely.

All in all, I solved the entire Kaplan and OG twice, analyzing each wrong answer. Princeton - the examples are neither tough, nor enough.

More details in a later post.

Cheers

Dude,

Which schools did you choose when you took your GMAT?

Cheers
J:bigear:

Congrats!! Wish you good luck !!

I chose IIMA (PGPX), ISB, Duke, Kellog and Wharton. But I'll be applying to only PGPX and ISB. Not sure about any international applications..

Cheers

Congratulations !!! Awesome score..

Need ur advice for one week preparation..I am taking GMAT on 14th Jul.
->To improve on RC...my RC accuracy is very bad..sometimes i get most of them right..but sometimes none!.. pls give some tips
-> CR accuracy is good..
-> DS..my accuracy is 75% ..give some tips here also..
-> PS .let me know.imp topics/concepts to brush up...

I have completed MH Verbal,OG10,Kaplan800...Planning to revise the mistakes done..in OG and Kaplan 800...

Pls help me how to go about utilizing this one week...I have taken 4-6 tests..Kaplan scores are in range 520 - 570 and GMAT Prep 620..Pls post ur Practice test score...Do I have to take more test at this stage?

Thank u in advance for ur reply...
Bunty

I chose IIMA (PGPX), ISB, Duke, Kellog and Wharton. But I'll be applying to only PGPX and ISB. Not sure about any international applications..

Cheers

Thank u very much ...MB :-)
I was really confused about my next few days plan..esp abt taking tests strategy...Thanks for ur valuable advice....I am bit relaxed now...Will work towards my goal with calm mind.

Cheers.
B4B

Bunty4Bili,
First of all relax! The exam is more of how you react to the pressure of the exam rather than testing on your skills.
1. For RC, focus on the different types of questions. There are certain set types of questions like 'Whats the tone of the RC?' etc and you should not make mistakes in such standard questions. If this helps, then try reading the RC after reading the questions. IN this case, you know what you have to skim for in the article.
2. For DS, avoid jumping to conclusion. Ask in your mind, if you are making any assumption about the missing data. If yes, then stop. DS can be mastered in couple of days.
For the rest, go through the tests which you took earlier and revise the mistakes which you made earlier. May be take a test or two... but not more.

In my case, I wasn't getting any great scores either but maintained my cool during the test and managed 750 (99 percentile).
Good luck,
MB
Founder IndusMinds.com
MBA (Hons) -UCLA Anderson

Thanks USMba... That was a nice post.

Bunti4Billi, for DS keep an important rule of thumb in mind - after you've eliminated "A" as an incorrect choice, you should ensure that you are not using the information in "A" to check if "B" is correct.

For RC, what USMba said is excellent advice. Also note that for questions asking "what is stated in the passage" as against "what is inferred in the passage" - you just need to find that info again. Are you using Kaplan's method - of noting a one-liner info about each para?

Cheers

D-Day experience:

I was based in Pune when I took the GMAT. Luckily for me, I was on a break between jobs and hence it was not hectic at all. My appointment was for 3PM, Mumbai. The last time I had a certification test, I had arrived at the center more than an hour in advance and was admitted right away. However, when I reach Pearson at 1PM, they wouldn't let me in. Ditto with a few more people who reached around the same time.

A guy there had a car, we went out nearby for a cup of tea (I was actually searching for a Red Bull to keep me awake - couldn't find one). Reached back by about 2:45. 15 more mins, and then the door opened. We were asked to sit inside and read the rules and regulations (I think we had to sign as well - don't remember actually). Then the IDs were checked, a photograph taken. Finally we were issued keys to a locker each. We had to take out *everything* - no finger rings, no chains, no caps, no wristwatch, no keys, even the religious threads some people have on their wrists - they actually had scissors for cutting these. We all thanked our stars that we didn't have to leave our clothes in the locker too.

Finally, exam time! We were all conducted to our respective desktops and the test began. Started off with the essay. For the analysis of issue, almost at the end, with barely 2 mins remaining I realized that I had forgotten to write the key "if so and so evidence had been pointed out..." for each para! Hurriedly did that. For the argument, I used just 1 example, with 2 sub-examples within it. Barely finished it, just about half a minute to spare. Took the break I was allowed and went to the restroom. I also followed one rule I set for myself - that I won't drink more than 2 sips of water when thirsty - didn't want to waste time/concentration with extra restroom breaks/holding out.

Quants started off nicely, with increasing difficulty. Right in the middle I encountered a totally simple questions. Just as I was about to hit "Confirm", I got thinking about the simplicity of the question - it didn't fit in the difficulty level I was in. Read the question again and realized that I had fallen for a trap - I was answering something else, not what was asked. Whew! marked the correct choice and moved on. Towards the end I was really short of time, had to guess for the last 3 questions. I would not have been able to finish otherwise. Took the break after this again.

Verbal was very easy for me. Breezed through it, with about 15 mins to spare. Clicked the "Report Score" button and waited. The most agonizing half a minute I had had in last year... 740! That was a relief. Took the printout that was given at the reception - be sure not to misplace that - it is the only place where the code to download your official score is mentioned. Three weeks later checked online, my official report was ready. 6.0 in AWA!

So that was it. 2 months of hard work, irritation and frustration, all paid off. All the best to you all! Remember, the GMAT is more about how you keep your cool under pressure.

Cheers

You got a awesome score in AWA. Did you practice that during your mocks ?.
I haven't been doing that and a little worried now as it appears sitting 4 hrs to take a test would be a different ball game altogether.
It would also help if you can tell from where did you read essays for practice

@fattu:

No, I didn't read any essays for practice - just those in Kaplan, but specifically those in OG. Be sure to read all the three versions, along with the explanations - scoring 6.0, 4.0 and 2.0. That'll give you a better idea of what not to do.

Finally, be very very sure to understand Princeton's template concept - its ultra simple. Prepare the templates for yourself, write an essay or two using those. Then practice getting 4-8 bullet points for a topic in 2-4 mins and vetting them down to 2-3. Remember, the validity of your points will most probably not be tested IMHO, but the way you construct your arguments and use examples in doing so will be.

I did not take any 4 hour test at home - I practiced essays separately and the practice tests separately. Even for the Kaplan tests, I would just click "confirm" with blank essays and get on to Quants/Verbal.

Cheers

Thanks p_jez for your insightful response...

You never know how individual respond to different situations.. So i think it would be good idea if I take one or two mocks with essays.. just to see whether my concentration doesn't break towards the end of the test

@fattu:

No, I didn't read any essays for practice - just those in Kaplan, but specifically those in OG. Be sure to read all the three versions, along with the explanations - scoring 6.0, 4.0 and 2.0. That'll give you a better idea of what not to do.

Finally, be very very sure to understand Princeton's template concept - its ultra simple. Prepare the templates for yourself, write an essay or two using those. Then practice getting 4-8 bullet points for a topic in 2-4 mins and vetting them down to 2-3. Remember, the validity of your points will most probably not be tested IMHO, but the way you construct your arguments and use examples in doing so will be.

I did not take any 4 hour test at home - I practiced essays separately and the practice tests separately. Even for the Kaplan tests, I would just click "confirm" with blank essays and get on to Quants/Verbal.

Cheers

And guys, one more thing...
Though I am giving my GMAT now, I intend to work for sometime before my MBA.
Does choosing the B-schools have any significance for me? (I am kind of running short on time for last minute prep, so don't want to spend more time on looking up B-schools)

@mittal.gaurav1:

The questions in OG are those which are retired from the GMAT - i.e., they will not appear there anymore. However, the difficulty level and question types is what you should be looking at from there. Powerprep - are you referring to the tests distributed for free at mba.com? I really don't know, because somehow that software never installed for me. If you are referring to Kaplan's tests, then you should expect a better score on the actual GMAT. In my case, I scored 630 and 650 on Kaplan.

Your scores will usually be valid for another 5 years or so. So if you have a fair idea of where you will apply, it'll only save you money during your application process ($28 per score report right now).

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Thank u Jez..I can see that my RC accuracy is improving..still working on DS...thanks a lot for ur advice...:-)

Thanks USMba... That was a nice post.

Bunti4Billi, for DS keep an important rule of thumb in mind - after you've eliminated "A" as an incorrect choice, you should ensure that you are not using the information in "A" to check if "B" is correct.

For RC, what USMba said is excellent advice. Also note that for questions asking "what is stated in the passage" as against "what is inferred in the passage" - you just need to find that info again. Are you using Kaplan's method - of noting a one-liner info about each para?

Cheers
Preparation Strategy:

I had browsed through the net looking for GMAT prep advice, and based upon what I found, I decided to use the following books for my GMAT prep:

1. Kaplan GMAT Review (I got the 2008 edition)
2. Princeton Review (I got the 2008 edition)
3. Official Guide (OG) (I got the 11th edition - not sure whether this is the latest)

I had a fleeting thought that I would subscribe to ScoreTop. In hindsight, good that I didn't.

I purchased Kaplan and Princeton together, this was in February 2008 I think. However, all of a sudden my workload increased and for quite some time I had to let them go. Finally, in April I managed to start studying again.

Another noteworthy event during this time was that I resigned from my job to take up another one. I deliberately decided to be at home for a month and a half and study. I negotiated my joining date with the new company and then took the last available GMAT slot before this - 30th May 2008.

This is my feedback about the three books:

Kaplan GMAT Review: Excellent for overall study. Got 630 & 650 in their CD companion tests

Princeton Review: Very good for brushing up your basics. The AWA templates part is excellent

OG: Indispensible. Solve it entirely.

All in all, I solved the entire Kaplan and OG twice, analyzing each wrong answer. Princeton - the examples are neither tough, nor enough.

More details in a later post.

Cheers

congrats for getting excellent score!. can you please help for reading comprehension side,what all the subjects they might come from (havnt yet started any gmat material). and i would like myself to be acquainted with all related jargons.
so would you recommend me couple of subjects and related books to understand them better?
Ashish,
You need not know any essay topics in advance. Its not testing your GK about various subjects but rather your reading comprehension skills. As a matter of fact you may end up getting some topic which you might have never heard of. Practice how a RC is approached in general. Books like Kaplan might be a good bet.
Best,
MB
Founder IndusMinds.com

thanks,i am bit worried about subjects area like social science wherein i have not much of understanding so thinking to figure out all possible subjects area (i think almost all) and start studying some articles related to hone my comprehension skills in those kinda of subjects. whats your suggestions?
@ashish_litr:

The GMAC explicitly states that you need not know anything at all about the RC topics. In fact, IMHO if you do have any knowledge on that issue, you should leave that aside and consider only the information which is presented.

For all you know, an RC passage might be full of BS - an author writing total falsehoods to prove his point (which may get refuted after being published)... And then the GMAC tries to see whether you understood what the author was saying. In such a case, if you bring in your knowledge into the picture, it will be a mess.

In short, don't worry about knowing/not knowing RC topics. Learn how to assimilate an RC in a short while, and how to tackle the different types of questions.

Cheers