GMAT at 46 (score 730, Q51, V37)

Dear All, This section already has many GMAT journey threads, hence after giving my GMAT on 10th July, my first thought was not to start a new thread and clutter this section but later on I realized the benefits which I had got from similar thre…

Dear All,
This section already has many GMAT journey threads, hence after giving my GMAT on 10th July, my first thought was not to start a new thread and clutter this section but later on I realized the benefits which I had got from similar threads by Amit, Keya and many more.and decided to post my GMAT experience. I hope this is useful to somebody.
During March end 2007, there was a huge professional disappointment for me and I was kind of down with this debacle and for about 2-3 weeks I was unable to decide about my future course of action. It is during this phase that I came to know about IIM-A PGPX program and did some search on internet and found that before IIM-A, IIM-C is also available, provided I take GMAT before 25th May (last date for IIM-C).
My first impulse was to go for GMAT before 25th May 2007 so that I can apply to IIM-C as well but later on I decided against it (On hindsight, a wise decision) and asked for July dates (IIM-A last date is 10th Aug.). However as I have huge experience and at 46, I was not sure whether IIMs will consider my application favorably. I wrote a mail to IIM-A and asked them about my chances at 46 and was really surprised to receive their response within one day, saying that my huge experience (25+) will be advantageous for executive MBA. IIM-Also gave me a target GMAT score, based on my experience.
With this information in hand I got really motivated and started frequenting PG GMAT section. Since last two and half months I have been a parasite on these threads, soaking all information provided by others without posting anything ( I am really sorry for this).
Armed with all information and many free tests (downloaded from net, after getting links from PG) I started my GMAT prep around April 25th. Asked my friend in Delhi to buy OG11 and Princeton review and courier them to me( I am yet to pay him back, also am afraid that if I try to pay him for book I may get few mouthful expletives) .
To be continued..
..Continued from previous post
My first priority was to find out where I stand as far as GMAT is concerned and to find my weakness ( I have already appeared for CAT twice 2005/2006).
I gave Princeton Review test 1 0n 27th April 2007 with a score of 680 (Q51, V 33)
On detailed analysis I found that my main weakness was sentence correction and I had to brush-up Probability and Permutation and Combination. With this information, I took a printout of OG10 VA section (free download from Net) and started practice on same. I had OG10 (only VA) , OG11, OG11 (VA) and SC1000 and Princeton Review. The material was enough and I decided to do at least 25 sentence corrections everyday along with going thro' the basic explanation of different types of error tested in GMAT. As far as sentence correction is concerned, this strategy continued till the test day on July 10th. Slowly my accuracy was improving from 55-60% to about 85%.
In between I gave many tests as follows:
Kaplan (Free test and not the dreaded CD tests) 1st May 2007, 700 (Q47, V38 )
GMAC paper test 14, 6th May, 700 (Q51, V36)
GMAC paper test 25, 8th May, 710 (Q50, V39)
GMAC paper test 28, 11th May, 720 (Q51, V38 )
GMAC paper test 31, 21st May, 710 (Q51, V36)
GMAC paper test 37, 26th May, 700 (Q50, V37)
GMAC paper test 42, 2nd June, 730 (Q50, V41)
GMAC paper test 48, 5th June, 720 (Q50, V40)
GMAC paper test 52, 10th June, 720 (Q51, V36)
GMAC paper test 55, 23rd June, 710 (Q50, V36)
Even though these are paper test but to simulate the actual test condition, I did not print out them but was reading them from screen and marking my answers on paper.
In addition I also took some more test as follows:-
Princeton Review test 2, 7th June, 720 (Q51, V39)
Power Prep 1, 19th June, 760 (Q51, V41)
Power Prep 2, 27th June, 770 (Q51, V47)
I knew that my Power prep scores were inflated because many question were same as my practice material and not only I remembered few answers but also I saved some time which was utilized to give more time to other difficult Qs.
With above practice, I went for my final GMAT on 10th July with the hope that I will be able to score about 690 but I think I was lucky to come out with a score of 730 (Q51, V 37).
In actual GMAT, I think the questions were a bit tough as far as VA is concerned but I have no reason to complain.
Once again thanks to everybody who have contributed here. Special thanks to PG, for such a wonderful forum.
Arun
PS. After GMAT I visited IIFT and met many puys there, Tatimatla, KGthe don, Chango, Vinit and Amar_kashyap. Chiya was not well and Vasu314 was sleeping. Had a good time at IIFT . Thanks guys.
Also got PG Tees from Chango

Hey Congratulations. Its a splendid job done. Cracked GMAT at the age of 46:wow: ??? Its simply superb. Hats off to you and your dedication at this age. Plz tell us what motivated you to GMAT or the management line?

Hats off to you sir!!
Taking the decision to go for MBA at 46 -> Preparing and then taking GMAT -> Scoring 730.. Absolutely Awesome!!!! Heartiest Congratulations.

congrats sir..it's amazing to see such a dedicationat 46...keep it up...:)

Congrats!!!!!! Its a greatttttttttttttttt score...
it would be great if you could share some of the tips in regards to time management.... hw did you manage ur time along with ur wrlk... the schedule u adopted,etc

Congrats!!!!!! Its a greatttttttttttttttt score...
it would be great if you could share some of the tips in regards to time management.... hw did you manage ur time along with ur wrlk... the schedule u adopted,etc

Dear Dreamer,

As I mentioned in my post earlier, my main weak area was Sentence correction and I was giving regularly about one Hr. everydayto SC only.

I would like to mention that logic is my strong area and I love puzzles and used to do puzzles regularly till few years back, hence apart from two topics (permutations and combination, and probability) i did not give any time to maths but this may not be advisable to everybody. The best approach would be to find out your weakness and try to improve the same. Improving from 50% to 80% accuracy is easy as compared with improving from 80% to 90% accuracy.

For sentence correction, after doing any exercise I used to find out the correct answers and why it is correct. This way after about six weeks, I was able to increase my speed and many times was able to eliminate upto three choices at first glance itself. I would like to mention, unlike most of you guys, I did my schooling in Hindi medium and my son's grammer is much better than me, but I am a regular reader as well and this used to help me in identifying the correct sentence even with my weak grammer .

Use your time wisely. Earlier i was giving same time to stock market and i discontinued the same for about two and half months. That's all.

Hope it helps.

Arun

Another feather in the cap! Good going, Arun uncle! :D
All the besties for the days ahead at A!

Another feather in the cap! Good going, Arun uncle! :D
All the besties for the days ahead at A!

Thanks Monil,

But as they say " there are many a slip between cup and lip" and I am yet to apply to IIMA. In any case, if I get thro', you can be sure of a treat for your wishes.

Arun

Hey Arun .. first of congratulations on your superlative achievement at this age.
I have taken the GMAT, but did very badly 610 .. I am thinking of taking it again ...

Could you please assist me .. I had not seen the GMAC paper test and sounds like you have mastered the test .. would you be willing to share it with me ?? I have downloaded 28,42 and 52 from MBA site .. can you share the remaining papers ??

My email is, you can mail me the stuff directly ...

Would really appreciate it ...
Thanks a lot .. Ketan

congrats..
super achievement
hats off to you sir

congo to arun unkil....how could i miss this thread

maybe coz i was going thru the FMS induction 😛 :P

CONGO UNKIL

hello uncle

congrats for ur stupendeous score in gmat(730)

just like my sister(keya) she scored a much higher and now she is in chicago gsb

being her brother am not much intelligent am in icfai chennai doing my MBA

i also stayed in annanagar and now i am in royapettah

which college u r targeting apart from IIM ahemdabad

u can also target us b school
and i am sure with this score +good eassy u will get into top 5

best of luck on ur eassy
looking forward to meet u in next pg meet

argho1985

hello uncle

congrats for ur stupendeous score in gmat(730)

just like my sister(keya) she scored a much higher and now she is in chicago gsb

being her brother am not much intelligent am in icfai chennai doing my MBA

i also stayed in annanagar and now i am in royapettah

which college u r targeting apart from IIM ahemdabad

u can also target us b school
and i am sure with this score +good eassy u will get into top 5

best of luck on ur eassy
looking forward to meet u in next pg meet

argho1985

This year I am targetting only IIM-A PGPX. At my age two year course may not be advisable. Let us meet on 30th Sept. during Chennai PG meet.Arun
arun agarwal Says
This year I am targetting only IIM-A PGPX. At my age two year course may not be advisable. Let us meet on 30th Sept. during Chennai PG meet.Arun

heartiest congratulations, uncle.. i have been a constant follower of ur posts in CAT thread,, and it's nice to see ur rocking score in GMAT here.. way to go..

Hey Arun .. first of congratulations on your superlative achievement at this age.
I have taken the GMAT, but did very badly 610 .. I am thinking of taking it again ...

Could you please assist me .. I had not seen the GMAC paper test and sounds like you have mastered the test .. would you be willing to share it with me ?? I have downloaded 28,42 and 52 from MBA site .. can you share the remaining papers ??

Thanks a lot .. Ketan

Thanks a lot .. Ketan

Dear Ketan,
Yes it is trye that I have (had) 8 paper tests with me but I have relocated to Chennai and all tests with other materials, are in my old computer at my home. Earlier I had mailed these tests to many Puys who had asked for same but I am not in position to do so now.
However, there is still hope. I had downloaded all these tests from net only after google search. I suggest try to google for these test and with some luck you should be able to find the same.
Once again, I am really sorry for not being able to help you. I hope you understand.
Regards
Arun
arun agarwal Says

this is not right:neutral:
in my sister class one guy of 47 age is there and he is doing 2 year of mba from chicago gsb

u can also try for that but its up to u

all the best
argho1985

congrats!!!!!!!!!

u are still young with your aspirations...