GMAT & TOEFL Discussion

I guess many beginners have one BIG Q in mind: Is my GMAT / TOEFL score enough? I went through the same thoughts. Now that I have applied to schools and gathered credible first-hand information, here I present it in a broad perspective. Poi…

I guess many beginners have one BIG Q in mind: Is my GMAT / TOEFL score enough?
I went through the same thoughts. Now that I have applied to schools and gathered credible first-hand information, here I present it in a broad perspective.

Points to note:
a. Scores, in themselves, donot bring an admit.
b. If your verbal score is poor, mitigate its effect by stating any of your written work (articles, etc).
c. If your work needs heavy use of quant-topics, use it to bolster your app
d. Re-take GMAT ONLY if you feel you can improve more than 5% (600 to 630+, 660 to 690+). 680 or more usually call for careful judgement. 680 to 690 has no value; at worst, it can raise questions about your judgement.
e. Re-take no more than thrice during one application year. Serial test takers are frowned upon.
f. This post is only a guideline.
g. unofficial requirement may be lesser for Indian applicants NOT from IT/Finance. Experience of 8+ also reduces the requirement.

1. TOEFL scores: Always check with B-school site (ususally under "Admission requirements >> International Applicants"). If there is a minimum requirement, you MUST have crossed that score. Most B-schools want TOEFL from Indians. Some MAY waive while the rest do. If you have to take TOEFL for a school (from your list), do report to other schools as well. This is especially helpful if your GMAT V score is average or just above average. If you have started early, just take TOEFL. Preparation time is not high. Top schools want 260 or more. Good ones want 250 or more.

2. GMAT for Quant-heavy top b-schools: The most demanding group of schools - includes Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Haas, MIT, Kellogg - usually have HUGE number of Indians applying and that too with finance focus. Be prepared to show 710+ GMAT if you are Indian IT / Finance guy. (Verbal 75% or more, Quant 85% or more)

3. GMAT for Gen-Mgmt top schools & Quant-heavy good schools: Be prepared to show 680+. This list includes HBS, Darden, Tuck, Duke & Cornell, Tepper. (Verbal 75% or more, Quant 85% or more). LBS also falls in this category.

4. GMAT for Gen-Mgmt good b-schools: The next series of B-schools want 650+. This list includes Purdue, Kelley, Boston U, etc

5. GMAT for Canadian / European Schools: Eye for 650+.
===========================
Got this info from many alums, from adcom and from consultants.

Do comment with your inputs.

Good work mumbai-dude. I hope the others start pouring in with school specific notes

2. GMAT for Quant-heavy top b-schools: The most demanding group of schools - includes Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Haas, MIT, Kellogg - usually have HUGE number of Indians applying and that too with finance focus. Be prepared to show 710+ GMAT if you are Indian IT / Finance guy. (Verbal 75% or more, Quant 85% or more)

3. GMAT for Gen-Mgmt top schools & Quant-heavy good schools: Be prepared to show 680+. This list includes HBS, Darden, Tuck, Duke & Cornell, Tepper. (Verbal 75% or more, Quant 85% or more). LBS also falls in this category.

4. GMAT for Gen-Mgmt good b-schools: The next series of B-schools want 650+. This list includes Purdue, Kelley, Boston U, etc

5. GMAT for Canadian / European Schools: Eye for 650+.
===========================
Got this info from many alums, from adcom and from consultants.

Do comment with your inputs.

Hi guys here I would like to make a point regarding the GMAT scores for INDIAN applicants, the most competitive pool in foriegn business schools.

Regardless of thr ranking, the top-20 schools in US recieve applications from Indians who have scored more than 700 in many cases. So if you are an applicant with around 3-4 years experience and a normal indian, then be prepared to score atleast 680. Even for schools like KELLY, PURDUE etc., better have 680+.

And many of the indian applicants are engineers, who are well versed with Maths component in the GMAT. So the verbal part of the test is what many schools concentrate on to see the communication and english skills. They know that you can sustain the quant requirement of their program. So try to maintain a balance.

I have seen people who scored a 50 in Quant and 25 in verbal. The eventual score is 620. But the balance is not good to go ahead.

Dont bother at all to take GMAT again if you are in lower 500s. Atleast you should have a score of 580 to apply to a decent school and you are an average applicant.

NOTE: These are absolutely my views and the knowledge from experience. Please research yourself and know more.

Ross can be added to the list of good GM schools.
I spoke to a Duke guy who told that one of the adcoms at Duke mentioned to him that Duke does not even look at applicants from India who have sub 700 score. I dont know how true that is though. But, he is a current student at Duke.

Also, believe me or not but a 700+ GMAT with 35+ in verbal is not going to set you apart if you do not present a great writing skill in essays. An essay should be treated as a medium that shows your communication skills. For example, for an IT Engineer profile, a mere 40 in verbal would not be sufficient. They want to see more. They want to see that *flair* in essays. At the same time, when Duke and other gr8 schools that request GMAT and TOEFL, they would eventually look at your AWA essays in GMAT before giving an admit. They want to see as much evidence of verbal skills as they can. This holds true for all the schools that request official GMAT and TOEFL as part of their application process.

Hey,

I'm plannin to apply to CMU for MIS(Mgmt in Information Systems) with my GMAT score. COuld anyone let me know if i need to take up TOEFL to apply.

Regards