GMAT & MBA - Some confusions

Dear all, I am new to this forum; let me introduce myself - Rajat from Delhi. I am a BE in IT and have more than 6 years of experience in IT field and have worked in various big banners of this industry. Now, I feel that I have reached a poin…

Dear all,

I am new to this forum; let me introduce myself - Rajat from Delhi. I am a BE in IT and have more than 6 years of experience in IT field and have worked in various big banners of this industry. Now, I feel that I have reached a point where there is no growth further. Whatever a degree in engineering could have given me, it has already.

I am planning to move further in studies and thus, career. The only option that is coming to my mind is an executive 1 year MBA from premier institutes like ISB, IIMs or any university/school outside India.

The confusions that are continuously occupying my brain are: -

1). As per UGC and AIU, any course less than 2 years cannot be considered as a Masters degree/diploma. If I go for 1 year course from the aforementioned institutes, will it be considered as a masters degree/diploma or just a certificate. If just a certificate then does it have any value in the market? I know the brands have value.

2). I want to switch from IT field to any other like FMCG, Manufacturing etc. Will 1 year course be able to help me to achieve it or should I go for 2 years MBA?

3). The fee for 1 year MBA in India is more than 14 Lacs. Though I am working for the last 6 years, I have not been able to save a penny to invest it here. Moreover, I neither have any immovable property nor any collaterals in the form of bonds, policies etc., that I can mortgage/keep as a security with the banks to get an education loan. Now, if I manage to get an outstanding score in GMAT I can get a scholarship from universities outside India but, am not sure about Indian schools. Just in case if I don't manage to get a good score in GMAT and still get selected in any of the schools in India on the basis of my experience/profile, how will I manage the financials?

I request you to share your views on the points raised by me. I think the answer to these will help many of us as these are some common problems faced by many people.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajat.

Rajat,
Whether you can switch from IT to FMCG (or other career paths) depends on your specific responsibilities in your current experience. Also, every school has unique strengths. You should look at the careers of people before and after MBA from these schools. A good question to ask the school is: What percentage of incoming class consists of career changers?

Regarding the finances, student loans are readily available for Rs.15-20 lakhs. It is your responsibility to pay them back in 10 years or more, after you graduate (Repayment starts after graduation). For foreign universities, you can avail Indian loans or loans from the foreign country. At some places, it is easy to secure a loan without anyone needed to sponsor you. At others, it may be hard. So, it depends on individual country and the school.

Dear all,

I am new to this forum; let me introduce myself - Rajat from Delhi. I am a BE in IT and have more than 6 years of experience in IT field and have worked in various big banners of this industry. Now, I feel that I have reached a point where there is no growth further. Whatever a degree in engineering could have given me, it has already.

I am planning to move further in studies and thus, career. The only option that is coming to my mind is an executive 1 year MBA from premier institutes like ISB, IIMs or any university/school outside India.

The confusions that are continuously occupying my brain are: -

1). As per UGC and AIU, any course less than 2 years cannot be considered as a Masters degree/diploma. If I go for 1 year course from the aforementioned institutes, will it be considered as a masters degree/diploma or just a certificate. If just a certificate then does it have any value in the market? I know the brands have value.

2). I want to switch from IT field to any other like FMCG, Manufacturing etc. Will 1 year course be able to help me to achieve it or should I go for 2 years MBA?

3). The fee for 1 year MBA in India is more than 14 Lacs. Though I am working for the last 6 years, I have not been able to save a penny to invest it here. Moreover, I neither have any immovable property nor any collaterals in the form of bonds, policies etc., that I can mortgage/keep as a security with the banks to get an education loan. Now, if I manage to get an outstanding score in GMAT I can get a scholarship from universities outside India but, am not sure about Indian schools. Just in case if I don't manage to get a good score in GMAT and still get selected in any of the schools in India on the basis of my experience/profile, how will I manage the financials?

I request you to share your views on the points raised by me. I think the answer to these will help many of us as these are some common problems faced by many people.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajat.