Gmat 780 (v-47,q-50)

Hi Guys, Took the test about 2 weeks back (Oct 3rd) and you know what … I am one happy person :smiley: . Cannot believe that I have really got 780. Anyways I would like to share my thoughts/learnings about the test. I registe…

Hi Guys,

Took the test about 2 weeks back (Oct 3rd) and you know what .......... I am one happy person 😃 . Cannot believe that I have really got 780. Anyways I would like to share my thoughts/learnings about the test.

I registered for GMAT in July thinking that I would have enough time for prepration. However as you all know, life is not always fair :huh: . Anyways I knew that I will not face much trouble in the maths since I am from engineering (IIT-D) background. Hence I started of with english. Took Powerprep 1 before starting the prepration and got 630 . Again maths was perfect but english was pathetic. Started doing OG (english) and went through each question and its explanation in detail (even if i got it right). One month into the prepration something happened on personal front and I had to leave the prepration for about 1.5 months. After sorting out everything I again pulled myself up with just 10 days to G-Day. Took a week off from office just before the exam and started again on english. Took Powerprep 2 three days before the exam and got 720. Totally disappointed I left the prepration all together. Then with just 2 days to the exam I borrowed Kaplan CD from a friend of mine and went through the tips given in that.

Finally on G-Day I got up early and composed myself. I went to the centre with total calm and peace. I knew that in worst scenario i would get somewhere between 650 and 700. So I decided to do my best and leave the rest.

Finally I ended up at 780 with 50 in quant and 47 in verbal.

From my experience what I can say is that "Attitude is everything" and what matters is what you do in those final 4 hours. So keep yourself calm and composed and go for the kill. I think while I was taking the exam I had nothing in my mind, except the question, which was flashing on the screen. I never thought whether I answered the previous one correctly or whether I am too slow or whether I am too fast. I never made myself think that I am giving the actual GMAT. I took it as just another exam.

Now I am in the process of shortlisting universities. Let's see how things go.

Vishal

Congrats Vishal!! Excellent score!

yepsee| Says
Finally I ended up at 780 with 50 in quant and 47 in verbal.
Hey, even I have that split but I got a score of 770. Damn ETS!

yepsee Says
From my experience what I can say is that "Attitude is everything" and what matters is what you do in those final 4 hours. So keep yourself calm and composed and go for the kill. I think while I was taking the exam I had nothing in my mind, except the question, which was flashing on the screen. I never thought whether I answered the previous one correctly or whether I am too slow or whether I am too fast.

Damn right man!! GMAT is best cracked one question at a time.

|yepsee Says
Now I am in the process of shortlisting universities. Let's see how things go.
What plans on that? Let us know!

Cheers
-S

hullo yepsee n elrond !!
it wud be really worth it to know about how u decide on the universities n go about it all. hence plz keep us updated thru this thread itself.

Great score dude !! A dream score for most mere mortals over here

Arun

hullo yepsee n elrond !!
it wud be really worth it to know about how u decide on the universities n go about it all. hence plz keep us updated thru this thread itself.

I am interested in Finance, Entrepreneurship & General Management. My list is Wharton, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, Ross, McCombs and Marshall. Currently working on apps :)

Cheers
-S

ok thts pretty cool.
plz tell us more bout ur profile, wud help us know u better.
i m still doing my engineering from NSIT, wud be giving CAT but if i dont get into a decent university namely IIMs,MDI,XLRI,NITIE,FMS,or maybe a few others i wud like to got for GMAT.
is this strategy correct? m i being true to myself?
n very very frankly speaking i want to do GMAT only coz i have tht US craze in me, i wud be the first person to go abroad in my family.
sum ppl here talk bout the ROI for GMAT, whts ur take on this?

thnks in advance.

Hi Man !!!
Cool Score ,

Ur score makes scores like 720 a midget !!!!
( P.S : Spare ISB for ppl like me 😃

Hi all,

First of all thanks a lot.

ELROND - I don't know why you got 770 with same scores in Quant and Verbal. Maybe it has something to do with the percentile (I am not sure). My percentile in Quant was 95 and in Verbal was 99. Overall it was 99. Let me know if you have different figures.

I want to do MBA in Finance. I will not apply for another year since I have a work experience of 2.5 years only. I don't want my application to show low work ex. as my handicap.

I would be aiming for some universities in US and some in Europe. Haven't zeroed on them yet.

KRIMSON - Here is my profile

B.Tech IIT Delhi - Civil Engineering
Total Work Experience 2 and a half years :-
1. 6 Months - Project Associate with a professor at IIT Delhi
2. 1 year 1 month - A Market Research Company as Sr. Associate
3. Past 5 months - American Express as Business Analyst

Took CAT many times. Following is the ordeal I went through:-

Nov 2002 - 96.5 % (No calls)
Nov 2003 - 96.1 % (No calls)
Nov 2004 - 97.11% (Got an admission at MDI but didn't join)

I think people who are studying right now should aim for CAT in short term. The problem is that most of final year students do not know the way they want there career to be like. Hence they get into a mad rush (like me) for CAT, XLRI etc. I think it was a blessing in disguise for me that I didn't get through IIMs. The more I worked, the more I became aware of my strengths and interests. I think this AWAKENING is most important. I think you need to do some introspection before coming to a decision.

Regarding ROI ------------- I think whether its CAT or whether its GMAT, the ROI would always be positive. The ROI would also depend upon your performance post MBA.

RESUMEVSETH - Hi dude, GMAT score is not everything 😃 ISB has other parameters also for selection. All the best. BTW I am not applying this year (hopefully).

I think it would be a good idea to brainstorm upon some B-Schools. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Yepsee

YEPSEE
Right buddy ... most of the Indian B School are just not worth it . Just one question ... How are planning for the finances for B school in US & europe ( blood y cost something like 50 lakhs ....)

also any suggestion for ISB essays ... have prepared but not sure if those are the best that i can write .

thnks for the info yepsee. most ppl i talk to also temme tht once u start working in sum firm or d other u wud know wht u want in life on a broader perspective.

now sum more queries:
(1) regarding finances as resumevseth asked.
(2) isnt a work-ex of 2.5yrs enuf for ur score ? how can u wait like this, its so damn a difficult decision to take.
(3) is working in an IT/ consultancy firm like TCS,INFY,PEROT et al worth it for adding onto the work-ex ? or shud 1 aim for a managerial job ?

thts it for now, hope i m nt getting to anxious.

Hi Krimson and Resumevseth,

1. Even I am not sure about finances. Some people tell me that at 780 I may get some scholarship, but I think I would definitely take a loan. No other way out :x .

2. Well actually It is a tough decision. The thing is that I would be applying to certain schools that do not entertain re-applicants. Hence I do not want to take any risk with the application and that is why I will wait for another year.

3. Well this is again a point that Bschools world over look at. They would like to see people in a managerial role before joining B-school. This is another reason I will wait for 1 year since I want to get into a leadership role (atleast) before I apply.

Things are ver different when you compare Indian B-schools with US B-schools 😃 😃 .

Thanks,
Yepsee

Hi Krimson and Resumevseth,

1. Even I am not sure about finances. Some people tell me that at 780 I may get some scholarship, but I think I would definitely take a loan. No other way out :x .

2. Well actually It is a tough decision. The thing is that I would be applying to certain schools that do not entertain re-applicants. Hence I do not want to take any risk with the application and that is why I will wait for another year.

3. Well this is again a point that Bschools world over look at. They would like to see people in a managerial role before joining B-school. This is another reason I will wait for 1 year since I want to get into a leadership role (atleast) before I apply.

Things are ver different when you compare Indian B-schools with US B-schools 😃 😃 .

Thanks,
Yepsee

Its the correct line of thinking that you have yepsee....
gain some more ex and your application will get strengthened a lot more....

-Vivek
yepsee| Says

:wow: What schools are you planning on which do not entertain re-applicants??

|yepsee Says

Yepsee, I suggest you do some more research on your MBA plans. This is not true at all. Leadership DOES NOT MEAN official management designation!! And no schools anywhere in the world look for managerial experience! This is important. With your current impression, what happens to your plans if you do not get a management role with in the next year?

Hey, I am not trying to point out your mistakes but just trying to help you along. Although you will be applying next year, try and attend a few MBA receptions that are being help in all metro cities in India by major US B-Schools. See what they are saying - on work ex, on finance, on apps and re-app. This might help you to plan your app strategy next year.

Cheers
-S

Elrond,

There are few schools who do not encourage re-applicants, INSEAD is one of them.

I totally agree with your point that the person need not carry an official managerial tag. My point was that at my workplace it would take me sometime so that I could atleast lead one or two projects. This is what I really want out of my work ex. Let me know if this is exactly what you were trying to say.

Yepsee

Hi,
Great score yepsee, i am also attempting GMAT this year but am waiting to gain more experience before i apply , currently have 2 yrs experience as a developer/lead in IT company in various countries ....
I think at least havin 3 -4 yrs of experience a is a must for applying to US and European universities.. what u think ??? Also role as a manager ( micro level aso ) is also important in the work experience ...

Congrats Vishal !!
It seems intelligence & focus were more responsible than systematic hardwork. What do you say?

All the best!
Time

And no schools anywhere in the world look for managerial experience! This is important.

-S

i dont agree with u there. most schools, or at least the good ones, DO look for managerial or at least SOME form of leadership experience, preferably work related. if schools dont look for managerial/leadership experience at work, then do u think a person writing code at an IT company for 10 years would be at the same standing as a management executive with 10 years exp? some top schools explicitly state that they do look for "proven managerial skills at work," which pretty much puts the school-college small time leadership stuff out of bounds. so i would say "no schools anywhere in the world look for managerial experience" is an overstatement.
Crash_test_dummy Says
i dont agree with u there. most schools, or at least the good ones, DO look for managerial or at least SOME form of leadership experience, preferably work related. if schools dont look for managerial/leadership experience at work, then do u think a person writing code at an IT company for 10 years would be at the same standing as a management executive with 10 years exp? some top schools explicitly state that they do look for "proven managerial skills at work," which pretty much puts the school-college small time leadership stuff out of bounds. so i would say "no schools anywhere in the world look for managerial experience" is an overstatement.

See the sentence preceding the one you quoted. I was only talking about having a 'Manager' designation and not about Leadership. HTH.

Cheers
-S

Thanks MBABUSTER and TIME. Yes I think 3-4 years of experience puts your application in a better shape and hence improves your chances of selection. Time, I think you are very right. My prepration was not all that gr8. I think it was the focus on the exam which sailed me through.

Thanks again for all the kudos. I would be glad if we could let this discussion get into the phase - II wherein we discuss about all the issues related to applying in B-schools abroad. These issues could be anything like financing MBA, selecting b-school, writing essays. Please let me know of your opinion/ideas on this.

Vishal