GMAT 780 Q50 V47... kept my date with destiny!!

Hi puys, took my GMAT today. This was my second attempt and finally got a dream score. 780 :new_ukliam2: Q50 - 94 percentile :icon_frown: V47 - 99 percentile :2gunfire: I had scored 720 a month back. The break up of scores last ti…

Hi puys,

took my GMAT today. This was my second attempt and finally got a dream score.
780 :new_ukliam2:
Q50 - 94 percentile :icon_frown:
V47 - 99 percentile :2gunfire:

I had scored 720 a month back. The break up of scores last time around was Q51 V36.

The purpose of my opening a new thread is to enlighten fellow puys(now that i m the been there done that kinds ) with all the gyaan i have assimilated in my 4 month sojourn. Though, I will cover most of the aspects of my preparation and G-Day experience, the post will be most useful for people who are already hitting 700+ and want to reach 750+ kinda scores, and for people who could not perform as well on the Actual thing as they did on mocks and are contemplating retaking the exam. People who are in here for some general advice and tips, please pm me or post in ur message and I will be glad to help.

I started preparing around may this year and booked a date for 29th July. I was on an onsite assignment in US and absolutely alone (no teammates) , so that was a motivation for me to study whenever I had nothin else to do(which happens all the time when u r living alone in the middle of nowhere). I did all the usual stuff: Princeton Review, Kaplan, OG 11 and OG Verbal Review. I was doing pretty well in the mocks. My test record was pretty good:
test name date verbal quant Total
GMAT Prep 1 3/5/2008 37 50 720
PowerPrep 1 5/5/2008 39 51 750
GMAT Prep 1 18/5/2008 38 51 730
PowerPrep 2 24/5/2008 44 51 770
Princeton Review 1 15/6/2008 41 51 730
GMAT Prep 2 21/6/2008 42 50 760
Princeton Review 2 28/6/2008 39 51 720
MGMAT Online 4/7/2008 44 51 770
Paper set 55 6/7/2008 46 51 780
GMAT Prep 1 9/7/2008 47 51 780
GMAT Prep2 25/7/2008 48 51 790
GMAT - Actual 1 29/7/2008 36 51 720

I returned to India in mid-july and was well prepared, hoping to get a good score, but ended up with a disappointing 720. The moment I saw the score, I knew I was retaking the test.

Next up, I took a week's break to analyse what went wrong. I did not study during this time. And by 1st week of september I was back in US on another consulting assignment. I found a few major issues wrt the disconnect between my mock scores and the actual GMAT.

The powerprep and GMATprep scores were heavily skewed as I was getting atleast 2-3 RCs that I had seen before and this was helping me to rush through them and have more time to work on the rest of the questions.This had a deleterious effect on my pacing as it made me complacent that no matter what I would finish verbal on time. Sadly on my first attempt I had majorly run out of time. I ended up doing last 12 qns in 15 mins.. semi-guessing on most of them. Another bad effect of repeated GMATpreps was that I thought I was good @ RC, but in reality, I was good only on RCs I had seen/read before and not on new ones. To add to my woes all the 4 RCs I got on my first attempt were science passages and 3 of them were really long.

This time around I practised only on new RCs, mostly from the 1000 RC document. I also did a lot of LSAT RCs and LSAT CRs. LSAT RCs are extremely complicated and though they may not always touch topics that you are likely to see on GMAT they are a great way to prepare for GMAT. I would suggest making your own gameplan, the one that suits you best. I started by taking down notes, simple things like whether the author is taking a position(arguing) or simply explaining stuff. Does the second paragraph substantiate some sentence from the 1st para or simply takes the passage in a new direction. Though frankly, I rarely refered back to what I scribbled, it helped me be an active reader. And by the time I reached the questions I knew exactly "what" the author intended to say and "how" he said that. This increased my efficiency manifold. LSAT CRs may not be as helpful, but are good for practise esp. if u have exhausted all other "official" material.

In the meanwhile, I was also able to improve on SC. Read MGMAT SC Guide as many times as you can, you will always find a new concept as you read tht doc. Use KAP 800 not only as a compilation of super tough probs, but also as a guide to improve ur SC error spotting skills. Read how an "800- test taker" thinks and internalize that.

The other thing I did was, I registered for the 6 MGMATs. They are really good. And, I would say a better indicator of your performance than official test(esp if u have done OG). My scores in MGMAT were :
MGMAT 1 - Q51 V 41 - 750
MGMAT 2 - Q51 V 40 - 740
MGMAT 3 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 4 - Q51 V 42 - 760
MGMAT 5 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 6 - Q51 V 45 - 780

Finally to the G-day experiences

G-Day 1 - 29th July Delhi

Had a decent AWA (scored 5.5)
Quant was good till the 2nd last qn (a tough geometry qn),
Whenever u see triangles, think pythagoras thm. whether u have to calculate area, calculate length of sides. its the most imp concept for all geometry probs that appear on GMAT. Even if u dont see a traingle, try drawing one by joining pts.
I got this qn wrong but still ended with a Q51.
Was totally out of sorts in verbal. Got some out of the world Sceince passages. my timing was badly put off. And ended up affecting my overall performance. Cud only manage a V36(lower than what I have ever got on ne mock).

G-Day 2 - 2nd Sep Columbus, OH

Had a decent AWA(didnt prepare this time around so was writing more freely).
Quant went alright. I got a bad geometry DS on Q9. It took me 5 mins but cudnt be certain of the answer. I got couple of tough questions on standard deviation. ended up with 10 mins to spare. In hindsight i cud have used tht time on the 2-3 qns on which i semi-guessed and moved on.
Lesson - if u r good @ maths , dont rush, take ur time.. u will mostly be able to catch up unless u run too out of time.

Took a quick break (red-bull n all). I wrote down my pacing strategy on the noteboard (Q8 - 60 mins Q17- 45 mins Q26 - 30 mins Q34 - 15 mins).
This time I was in cruise control. The first 7 qns were easy and I rushed thru them. Q8 was a tricky SC and I may have got it wrong. Got my first RC on Q9.. things went great in the middle. I was keeping pace with my plan. Cracked all the RCs with the strategy I mentioned above. Got a few tricky SCs in the end, but atleast I had enuff time to think thru them.
The last one was esp tuff(entire long sentence underlined and close options). Had 4 mins to do that, and I knew I had cracked the verbal section to get tht toughie on Q41. finished the test. clicked on report scores. saw 780 flash up.. and i had kept my date with destiny

To end this looong debrief, let me quote the best advice I found while reading the gazillion debriefs on internet

"When youre eliminating answer options, dont write (a), (b), (c) ... on the scratch pad and then sit striking them off. Eats ur time.
Use your fingers instead. Let ur thumb be option (a) and the lil finger be option (e).. lucky the test has five options and you have five fingers!
Hold your fist open. Wen u think the option is wrong, just close that finger in. The one left open is your answer. With a little practice, you get used to it. It actually reduced my silly mistakes. And it saves time. "

Background:
Integrated M.Tech In Maths and Computing from IIT Delhi (2006 passout) - Low acads
2+ yrs work-ex in analytics/consulting - Banking/FMCG

Thou not writing the GMAT.

Awesome score man ! Congrats !

Congrats dear. I took GMAT on 6th Aug and devestated to see 670( Q-48, V-34). I am considering retaking the test. I want 750+ and I think I can do it too. The only thing is that I am still figuring out my problem areas. What baffled me is that i had a feeling during GMAt that I was doing well on Verbal but it olny dragged my score.
Thanks for your motivating debrief. I hope I can emulate you in my retake.

Abhay

Hi puys,

I had scored 720 a month back. The break up of scores last time around was Q51 V36.

The purpose of my opening a new thread is to enlighten fellow puys(now that i m the been there done that kinds ) with all the gyaan i have assimilated in my 4 month sojourn. Though, I will cover most of the aspects of my preparation and G-Day experience, the post will be most useful for people who are already hitting 700+ and want to reach 750+ kinda scores, and for people who could not perform as well on the Actual thing as they did on mocks and are contemplating retaking the exam. People who are in here for some general advice and tips, please pm me or post in ur message and I will be glad to help.

I started preparing around may this year and booked a date for 29th July. I was on an onsite assignment in US and absolutely alone (no teammates) , so that was a motivation for me to study whenever I had nothin else to do(which happens all the time when u r living alone in the middle of nowhere). I did all the usual stuff: Princeton Review, Kaplan, OG 11 and OG Verbal Review. I was doing pretty well in the mocks. My test record was pretty good:

I returned to India in mid-july and was well prepared, hoping to get a good score, but ended up with a disappointing 720. The moment I saw the score, I knew I was retaking the test.

Next up, I took a week's break to analyse what went wrong. I did not study during this time. And by 1st week of september I was back in US on another consulting assignment. I found a few major issues wrt the disconnect between my mock scores and the actual GMAT.

The powerprep and GMATprep scores were heavily skewed as I was getting atleast 2-3 RCs that I had seen before and this was helping me to rush through them and have more time to work on the rest of the questions.This had a deleterious effect on my pacing as it made me complacent that no matter what I would finish verbal on time. Sadly on my first attempt I had majorly run out of time. I ended up doing last 12 qns in 15 mins.. semi-guessing on most of them. Another bad effect of repeated GMATpreps was that I thought I was good @ RC, but in reality, I was good only on RCs I had seen/read before and not on new ones. To add to my woes all the 4 RCs I got on my first attempt were science passages and 3 of them were really long.

This time around I practised only on new RCs, mostly from the 1000 RC document. I also did a lot of LSAT RCs and LSAT CRs. LSAT RCs are extremely complicated and though they may not always touch topics that you are likely to see on GMAT they are a great way to prepare for GMAT. I would suggest making your own gameplan, the one that suits you best. I started by taking down notes, simple things like whether the author is taking a position(arguing) or simply explaining stuff. Does the second paragraph substantiate some sentence from the 1st para or simply takes the passage in a new direction. Though frankly, I rarely refered back to what I scribbled, it helped me be an active reader. And by the time I reached the questions I knew exactly "what" the author intended to say and "how" he said that. This increased my efficiency manifold. LSAT CRs may not be as helpful, but are good for practise esp. if u have exhausted all other "official" material.

In the meanwhile, I was also able to improve on SC. Read MGMAT SC Guide as many times as you can, you will always find a new concept as you read tht doc. Use KAP 800 not only as a compilation of super tough probs, but also as a guide to improve ur SC error spotting skills. Read how an "800- test taker" thinks and internalize that.

The other thing I did was, I registered for the 6 MGMATs. They are really good. And, I would say a better indicator of your performance than official test(esp if u have done OG). My scores in MGMAT were :
MGMAT 1 - Q51 V 41 - 750
MGMAT 2 - Q51 V 40 - 740
MGMAT 3 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 4 - Q51 V 42 - 760
MGMAT 5 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 6 - Q51 V 45 - 780

Whenever u see triangles, think pythagoras thm. whether u have to calculate area, calculate length of sides. its the most imp concept for all geometry probs that appear on GMAT. Even if u dont see a traingle, try drawing one by joining pts.
Was totally out of sorts in verbal. Got some out of the world Sceince passages. my timing was badly put off. And ended up affecting my overall performance. Cud only manage a V36(lower than what I have ever got on ne mock).

Quant went alright. I got a bad geometry DS on Q9. It took me 5 mins but cudnt be certain of the answer. I got couple of tough questions on standard deviation. ended up with 10 mins to spare. In hindsight i cud have used tht time on the 2-3 qns on which i semi-guessed and moved on.
Lesson - if u r good @ maths , dont rush, take ur time.. u will mostly be able to catch up unless u run too out of time.

Took a quick break (red-bull n all). I wrote down my pacing strategy on the noteboard (Q8 - 60 mins Q17- 45 mins Q26 - 30 mins Q34 - 15 mins).
This time I was in cruise control. The first 7 qns were easy and I rushed thru them. Q8 was a tricky SC and I may have got it wrong. Got my first RC on Q9.. things went great in the middle. I was keeping pace with my plan. Cracked all the RCs with the strategy I mentioned above. Got a few tricky SCs in the end, but atleast I had enuff time to think thru them.
The last one was esp tuff(entire long sentence underlined and close options). Had 4 mins to do that, and I knew I had cracked the verbal section to get tht toughie on Q41. finished the test. clicked on report scores. saw 780 flash up.. and i had kept my date with destiny

To end this looong debrief, let me quote the best advice I found while reading the gazillion debriefs on internet

"When youre eliminating answer options, dont write (a), (b), (c) ... on the scratch pad and then sit striking them off. Eats ur time.
Use your fingers instead. Let ur thumb be option (a) and the lil finger be option (e).. lucky the test has five options and you have five fingers!
Hold your fist open. Wen u think the option is wrong, just close that finger in. The one left open is your answer. With a little practice, you get used to it. It actually reduced my silly mistakes. And it saves time. "

Background:
Integrated M.Tech In Maths and Computing from IIT Delhi (2006 passout) - Low acads

Heyy congrats on ur score.. 780 is fantastic... btw, i'm planning to give GMAT... havent started preps yet, but was wondering if you could suggest what material i need to get my hands on...

Nice score in the 2nd take (in quick succession was a very good decision, not to let the steam out) :)
Congrats! Besties for the appying season! 😉

wow!! awesome mate.. u r a brave heart

all the best for apping

cheers

Awsome score dude !!! Many congrats...

Where all do u plan to apply ?
Till now I believed that GMATprep & Power Prep is one and the same !
Can you pls tell me how to get it ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Nice score in the 2nd take (in quick succession was a very good decision, not to let the steam out) :)
Congrats! Besties for the appying season! ;)

Thank you !
I am glad I didn't get something like 740 on 1st go coz then i wud probably not have retaken the exam.
prodigal_soul Says
Heyy congrats on ur score.. 780 is fantastic... btw, i'm planning to give GMAT... havent started preps yet, but was wondering if you could suggest what material i need to get my hands on...

To start with, u can look @ Princeton Review and Kaplan premier. Though dont spend more than a couple of weeks doing them and don't revisit them later. And get into habit of taking mocks as soon as possible. mock scores (good or bad) are great motivators.
Awsome score dude !!! Many congrats...

Where all do u plan to apply ?
Till now I believed that GMATprep & Power Prep is one and the same !
Can you pls tell me how to get it ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Well I am contemplating getting in 1 good app in Round 1 this yr. School of choice - Tuck..
Will be applying to columbia/chicago/ISB in R2

Powerprep is an older version of GMATprep 😃 . released by ETS , before Pearson took over and Powerprep was replaced by GMATprep.

well, its a lil tuff to find it these days, but u shud get it on esnips or look on the internet.

Congratulations on an AWESOME score !!!!

All the best for your apps.

Hi puys,

MGMAT 1 - Q51 V 41 - 750
MGMAT 2 - Q51 V 40 - 740
MGMAT 3 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 4 - Q51 V 42 - 760
MGMAT 5 - Q51 V 45 - 780
MGMAT 6 - Q51 V 45 - 780

Background:

hey congrats for your wonderful socre, i must say you are too intelligent ............. can you please suggest apart from the reading material that you have mentioned above , which book should i refer to get my basics correct before i start with the test..........

and also what is gmat prep & power prep & from where can i get them.....
Thanks
hey congrats for your wonderful socre, i must say you are too intelligent ............. can you please suggest apart from the reading material that you have mentioned above , which book should i refer to get my basics correct before i start with the test..........

and also what is gmat prep & power prep & from where can i get them.....
Thanks

Thanks!

You will have to figure out your weak areas to make the most of your preparation time. For maths, start with reading up OG11 - the section in which all the conepts that are tested on the GMAT are detailed.
For verbal, you may want to refer a grammar book, but its important to know what all is tested on the GMAT, so that you don't end up wasting time. For basics Princeton Review and Kamplan Premier should suffice. In addition you may want to look at Princeton Review verbal workout and quantitative workout. For Sentence correction, Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide is a good starting point, as it will help you focus on the areas you need to work on before you start attempting Sentence correction questions.

u can get hold of these books @ ber sarai (near IIT), presuming u live in delhi

Powerprep is a set of two tests released by ETS. They are available on esnips.com
GMATprep is a new version released after Pearson took over and is available for free on mba.com

btw when do u intend to take GMAT ?

hey thanks for your inputs, will try to look for books from ber sarai....... this saturday.........

I am planing to write in decmber if i get the date...............
how long did u prepare for the exam..........., how many hrs a day............

I am thinking of joining coaching with kaplan from this weekend wat do u say............

Also which stream are u applying for your mba.
\

congrats man!!! and as I said already elsewhere WOW

>>btw what are MGMATS -- and how much do they cost?

hey thanks for your inputs, will try to look for books from ber sarai....... this saturday.........

I am planing to write in decmber if i get the date...............
how long did u prepare for the exam..........., how many hrs a day............

I am thinking of joining coaching with kaplan from this weekend wat do u say............

Also which stream are u applying for your mba.
\

I prepared from may-jul around 10 weeks for my 1st attempt and another 3 weeks for my second attempt.

I studied every evening for around 2-3 hours and followed it up with a mock test and analysis every weekend before the 1st attempt.

In the second attempt I focused on getting my strategy right and taking mock tests and analyzing my mistakes.

I wont recommend coaching unless u really need to sharpen ur basics. GMAT is pretty much a self-study exam. Also, it helps to study and solve questions on the computer as the exam is taken on computer.

I intend to major in strategy/general management.
congrats man!!! and as I said already elsewhere WOW

>>btw what are MGMATS -- and how much do they cost?

Thank You !!

MGMATs are mock tests that u can take on manhattan GMAT's website. They cost $39 for a year's subscription. You get access to 6 tests. You may reset the tests once u have taken all the 6 tests, but from the 7th test u may get repeat questions.
I prepared from may-jul around 10 weeks for my 1st attempt and another 3 weeks for my second attempt.

I studied every evening for around 2-3 hours and followed it up with a mock test and analysis every weekend before the 1st attempt.

In the second attempt I focused on getting my strategy right and taking mock tests and analyzing my mistakes.

I wont recommend coaching unless u really need to sharpen ur basics. GMAT is pretty much a self-study exam. Also, it helps to study and solve questions on the computer as the exam is taken on computer.

I intend to major in strategy/general management.

hey .............. i have joined kaplan from today....... weekend batch, knw tht gmat is more of self study but need to sharpen my basics.......... got some study material one kaplan book basically......... but i think i havr to buy some books from market........

so lets c how does my coaching helps...........

Hi Parul,

All the best for your preparations. I have appeared in GMAT once on 6th Aug with 4 weeks prep and could not get expected score( 670) and so missed shortlist in IIM-A. I am again targeting it in Oct 08 with some more preparation.
I have 8+ yrs of managerial experience in a larger commercial bank in India.

Now I am targeting ISB R-2

hey .............. i have joined kaplan from today....... weekend batch, knw tht gmat is more of self study but need to sharpen my basics.......... got some study material one kaplan book basically......... but i think i havr to buy some books from market........

so lets c how does my coaching helps...........