GMAT 770 (Q 50, V 44, AWA 5.0) .. Now, I need help!!

Hey guys… I need help… desperately!! I gave GMAT last week and scored 770 (Q 50, V 44, AWA 5.0)… I had never thought I would cross 700 let alone score 770!! And now I am really confused… :confused: My Profile is - B.E. with above avera…

Hey guys... I need help.. desperately!! I gave GMAT last week and scored 770 (Q 50, V 44, AWA 5.0).. I had never thought I would cross 700 let alone score 770!! And now I am really confused... :confused:
My Profile is
- B.E. with above average acads (GPA 3.6)
- Completed 1 yr work ex in August, 08(IT )
- Average extra curricular activities

What do you guys think?? Should I apply for Fall'09?? What are my chances to get into the top 20 with my "low" work ex???

More questions to follow..

MODS: If there is some other thread where I can post this, let me know...
I am a newbie, plz bear with me 😁

And ya if anyone needs any info on what/how I studied, plz fire away your questions!! 😃

reeallylucky Says
And ya if anyone needs any info on what/how I studied, plz fire away your questions!! :)

congrats dude!!dats an awesome score!!
pl enlighten us with ur strategy...we r desparate souls looking for some gyan from ppl like u who have made it big on G day.

i guess most of us wud be knowing which study material to follow....but i'd like to ask hw many mocks did u tk?wat were ur scores then?hw did u go abt with verbal?
considering tht u scored 50 in quants. wat was the LOD, was it like as in OG, Kaplan or even higher (as in our desi CAT).....i have been doing pretty decently in QA (averaging around 47) but VA and SC in particular is giving me a problem...wats ur tk on this?

thanks

hallo Puys....

is there any diff between 2 centers @ mumbai location
1. Pearson Professional Centers-Mumbai, Mumbai, MAH, India
2. GMAT Event Testing-Mumbai, Mumbai, MAH, India

Any details @ Pearson Center...

Thanks in advance

The only word is awesome dude

You have cracked GMAT big time. It will be great if you can share your experiences of the exam and your studies and strategy for the same. How you felt about the actual gmat exam and the various mock tests that are in market, does anyone of them gets close to actual gmat ? I am sure many other rookies like me will be looking forward to that and will get benefitted by that.

Although as I already mentioned that I am new to the GMAT world, but what I have read on some of the posts by gmat gods, 2 years of experience will be little less if you compare with the other applicants for the big B schools but I think more experienced people will give the best answer. It should also depend on which kind of schools you are targeting at, although that will be a bit dumb qiuestion as a guy with 770 will always look towards the top 10-20.

All the best!

reeallylucky Says
And ya if anyone needs any info on what/how I studied, plz fire away your questions!! :)

Dude mabrook! Very gud score,So started applying??
Hey guys... I need help.. desperately!! I gave GMAT last week and scored 770 (Q 50, V 44, AWA 5.0).. I had never thought I would cross 700 let alone score 770!! And now I am really confused... :confused:
My Profile is
- B.E. with above average acads (GPA 3.6)
- Completed 1 yr work ex in August, 08(IT )
- Average extra curricular activities

What do you guys think?? Should I apply for Fall'09?? What are my chances to get into the top 20 with my "low" work ex???

More questions to follow..

MODS: If there is some other thread where I can post this, let me know...
I am a newbie, plz bear with me :D

wow! awesome..congrats on ur rock solid performance !!!

well yeah u r right in a way..now the tough part begins. so here r few pointers which might come handy to u

u need to justify ur low GPA with ur high GMAT score as the consitency part is something which they do seek. so u can make use of optional essay thing or additional information.

as per now ur work-ex is low.. after completing two yrs u will become eligible to enter the market and ur low work ex is getting compensated with high score
congrats dude!!dats an awesome score!!
pl enlighten us with ur strategy...we r desparate souls looking for some gyan from ppl like u who have made it big on G day.

i guess most of us wud be knowing which study material to follow....but i'd like to ask hw many mocks did u tk?wat were ur scores then?hw did u go abt with verbal?
considering tht u scored 50 in quants. wat was the LOD, was it like as in OG, Kaplan or even higher (as in our desi CAT).....i have been doing pretty decently in QA (averaging around 47) but VA and SC in particular is giving me a problem...wats ur tk on this?

thanks

Hey..

@mocks, I'd given Kaplan and GMATprep. Score's were

Kap 1 - 580 :D
Kap 2 - 610
Kap 3 - 650

GMATPrep 1 - 660
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Other than that, I'd solved the 800gmat individual tests for QA and VA.

@the level of Quant, it was the exact same as the GMATprep s/w tests. OG is too simple and Kaplan is too "out-of-course"!! :poketounge:

@SC, if u ve started preparing recently.. then this is normal.. same happened with me!! Practice is the only solution... but if have ur GMAT around d corner, FOCUS... Go thru Wren and Martin once and get your basics right, read editorials (helped me in SC, RC, CR), and use only "focused" material and by that i mean Manhattan, Kaplan, OG types and not the 1000SC, 1000RC types. Personally, i found the 1000 series crap!!

Hope this helps.. 😃
The only word is awesome dude

You have cracked GMAT big time. It will be great if you can share your experiences of the exam and your studies and strategy for the same. How you felt about the actual gmat exam and the various mock tests that are in market, does anyone of them gets close to actual gmat ? I am sure many other rookies like me will be looking forward to that and will get benefitted by that.

Although as I already mentioned that I am new to the GMAT world, but what I have read on some of the posts by gmat gods, 2 years of experience will be little less if you compare with the other applicants for the big B schools but I think more experienced people will give the best answer. It should also depend on which kind of schools you are targeting at, although that will be a bit dumb qiuestion as a guy with 770 will always look towards the top 10-20.

All the best!

Thanks mann.. :)

As far as "strategy" is concerned... there was none!! I just started studying casually first, and then a little seriously later cos it became interesting!! Material I used was the standard, regular ones... OG 11, Manhattan, Kaplan.. in addition to this, i also "referred to" some of the I#S material and found it to be pretty helpful... A word of advice, be selective in whatever material u choose to study from.. there's tons available but only a handful of that is actually relevent and helpful for GMAT!!

About the mocks, none come close to the actual one except the GMATprep...

Now about my question..
I know 1/2 yrs is not good enough... But some colleges like Stanford GBS have no minimum requirement for work ex and stuff while our own ISB needs 2 yrs but does consider students with lower work ex under "special" conditions... So does anyone have any idea/know somone if such students actually do get admitted or not ??

u need to justify ur low GPA with ur high GMAT score as the consitency part is something which they do seek. so u can make use of optional essay thing or additional information.

Is 3.6 considered a "low" GPA?? I thought 3.6/4 is atleast average if not above that!! :icon_frown: :icon_frown: :icon_frown: :icon_frown:
vamsee.ns Says
Dude mabrook! Very gud score,So started applying??

Thanks duudee :)
App not started yet, need some questions answered first.. that's why started this thread!! plz chip in if u can help... wud really appreciate it!!
Thanks duudee :)
App not started yet, need some questions answered first.. that's why started this thread!! plz chip in if u can help... wud really appreciate it!!

Hi....
firstly, congrats on ur fantastic performance..... i am planning to appear for gmat in nov-dec 2008 and apply for fall 2009.... wats worrying me is the thot of how ppl fund their mba in the US with practically no personal savings.... have u done any research on that??? please let me know... am very curious abt this.....
sunetra
Hi....
firstly, congrats on ur fantastic performance..... i am planning to appear for gmat in nov-dec 2008 and apply for fall 2009.... wats worrying me is the thot of how ppl fund their mba in the US with practically no personal savings.... have u done any research on that??? please let me know... am very curious abt this.....
sunetra

@sunetra

People in this thread for sure can give you some ideas but I think the proper thread for your question is here --
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/us-mba-loan-and-re-payment-worth-it-a-discussion-25020338

Lots of experienced guys have shared their knowledge in the above mentioned thread, all your queries should get quenched for sure.

My 2 cents -- Almost all the top colleges in US arrange for loans from the US banks, lot many indian students like you and me go for that but there are many other important factors that should be kept in mind before deciding anything as whats the Return on the investments, your approximate salary after completing college, what are your short term and long term plans regarding your stay in US/India.

Hope it helps!
reeallylucky Says
Is 3.6 considered a "low" GPA?? I thought 3.6/4 is atleast average if not above that!! :icon_frown: :icon_frown: :icon_frown: :icon_frown:

ooops!! sry :-P u shd have mentioned the scale .. as it varies everywhere..

i guess then u have perfect go for apping 😃 any help reqd feel free to ask