Gmat 760 (q50, v44)

I have been a member of the PG community for a while now and have always wanted to start a thread with my GMAT debrief. So here it is. I will begin with my D-Day brief and try to follow up with strategies and prep tips. I had wound up all my…

I have been a member of the PG community for a while now and have always wanted to start a thread with my GMAT debrief. So here it is. I will begin with my D-Day brief and try to follow up with strategies and prep tips.

I had wound up all my preparations on Saturday. For Sunday, I had written down outlines for Analysis of Argument and Analysis of Issue essays for revision. Around the middle of the day, I went out and checked the location of the examination center and the travel time. Got back cooked a nice meal (helps me relax, you should do whatever soothes you down). Selected what I would wear the next day, collected all the things necessary for the appointment:
1. Passport (id proof)
2. GMAT appointment letter
3. 2 Kit-Kat bars (breakfast and exam-break)
4. Water bottle
Happy with my preparations, I talked to my wife and friends and had a nice nights sleep.

On the D-day, woke up nice and early. Did a few stretching exercises, got ready, had a talk with wife and set out for the exam center. As luck would have had it, all the transport systems were running like clockwork and I reached at 8:25 for a 9:30 appointment. The center wasnt even open . Finally a guy walked in at 8:30 and told me that I had to wait outside as they had to clean the premises. Cue it started raining!!! Had to wait outside under an overhanging roof to save myself from the rain, for a good 15 minutes before I was allowed to enter.

Anyways shook myself for the test, went through all the pre-test checks emptied the pockets, removed the wrist watch, removed the Kit-Kat and water bottle from the carry-bag before putting everything in the locker, did the digital signature thingy, had the palm veins scanned and was ushered into the examination center. Took a deep breath and settled myself for the exam. I dont know what are the other exam centers like but I felt really nice about this one nice comfy chair, good height for the PC screen, nice keyboard, temperature controlled overall the best exam conditions I could have asked for.

My exam started with the usual info screens. Clicked through them like a breeze, entered my choice of 5 schools, stretched my fingers and got ready for business. I was well prepared for the AWA section, having written something like 7 essays of both kinds, and to make matters easier both the topics were extremely easy to write about. There were gaping holes in the argument and a no-brainer of an issue. I think I completed my argument essay with 4 min left on the clock and Issue essay with 8 min on the clock.

Took a small break after the essays to gather my thoughts before the Quant section. Was really confident about this one and seemed to be doing quite well. But my bubble was burst by a question similar to cuberoot(125)/squareroot(25) = ?. I really panicked when I got such an easy question. Thankfully, I was solving the questions really fast and had a lot of time to spare. So calmed myself again and and attacked the questions with a renewed vigor and greater concentration.

Took another break after Quant, had a Kit-Kat drank some water and felt ready for the Verbal part. Nothing spectacular, except the fact that despite the preparation I put in, I was still stuck with two answers choices after elimination, in nearly half the CR and SC questions, and both the answer choices seemed equally plausible. In my practice tests I had always had 10-15 minutes left after Verbal, so I consciously slowed myself down, spending more time on each question. By the last two questions, I just wanted to get the test over with, and clicked on the answers without much thought. I had a feeling I had screwed up in Quant and never really expected something great in Verbal.

Did ponder for a few seconds on the screen to cancel the scores, but decided against it. I was never going to prepare again anyways . Mildly surprised at the final scores, as the test had dimmed my expectations a little.

Quant 50 (93%)
Verbal 44 (97%)
Overall 760 (99%)

This is exactly the score and the break-up which I had in my GMAT Prep I retake. I would have to say that the GMAT Prep Tests are a pretty good judge of your final score. Anyways thats the easier part of my MBA journey done . Now a summer break and then back to the grind with the essays and recos. Would like to add a few more posts about GMAT prep strategies and Dos and Donts, but more on that later. For now, a month away from the books and the constant checking of MBA courses websites beckons.

---------------------------------------
Target : MBA admit for fall 2012

Quant - 50 (93%)
Verbal - 44 (97%)
Overall - 760 (99%)

Congrats on the amazing score !!!
Do share your detailed prep strategy with all of us.

Hey, Congratulations on a real good score. Kindly share the preparation materials and the prep test that you took. And a little bit on how you went preparing for it as well..

Quant 50 (93%)
Verbal 44 (97%)
Overall 760 (99%)

And on an unrelated note, the sale of Kit Kat's has seen a sudden spike after this thread was launched ;-)

Congrats Gullu Badshah. I've seen your blog. Good stuff.

- Sameer
MBA Crystal Ball

Thanks to sausi007, AbhishekISB and MartianOnEarth 😃

To begin with a disclaimer : This post is based on my own experience of preparing for the GMAT. I understand that not everyone thinks the same way. So for you the methods could be quite different, but I hope you find something of interest in this post .

The Beginning
I am the kind of person who does not work well without deadlines. After thinking about preparing for GMAT for a month and doing nothing about it, the first thing I did was to take an exam date.
How much time do you require to prepare for the exam will vary from person to person. In my opinion all the material takes about a month and half to go over and then it is just about practice, practice and practice !!! All in all a solid two months should suffice. (my take on the prep time)
I didn't even have enough patience to do that. So I started giving practice tests after two weeks of preparation. So for all those of you who have the tendency to procrastinate things indefinitely Take a GMAT date and then start preparing.

Preparation
The first thing that people do when they think of giving the GMAT is to start collecting study material. The course content for GMAT is very simple, it is the kind of questions that makes it a tough nut to crack. So more than the reference material, you need the practice material.
For me the Math Review section in the GMAT Prep Tests software was enough to review the basic concepts in maths and start cracking the questions. You can go through the Manhattan Math review books, if you really need help. Verbal is a different story altogether (especially for non-native speakers like me). You need to be aware of the rules to start attempting the SC problems, need to develop a GMAT way of thinking to crack CR problems, and will have to start reading to get through the RCs. I reckon the Manhattan Review SC book does come in real handy to learn the SC rules. The CR and RC can be improved by practice.
So my list of study material would include :
1. OG12 (or the latest version)
2. GMAT Prep software (the MATH review section)
3. Manhattan Review Sentence Correction
optional. OG 2 Verbal (for further practice in verbal)
optional. Manhattan Review guides for Maths

Study Plan
1. Start approximately 60 days in advance.
2. You can get access to a whole lot of Free Mock Tests on the web : 1. Kaplan GMAT Test
2. Knewton GMAT Test
3. Manhattan GMAT Test
4. Princeton Review GMAT Test
5. Veritas Prep GMAT Test
Plus you can get access to all 6 MGMAT tests if you buy the Manhattan SC book. Plan to give mock tests on all weekends leading up to the test.

3. Develop interest in the test - If you are good with verbal, start with verbal. If you are good in Maths start with Quant. But develop an interest in the test. If preparing for the GMAT becomes a grind from the first day. You are not going to last long .
4. Start reviewing sections (no particular order, go by your interests). Once you have reviewed a section, solve corresponding problems in OG.
5. Download an OG Error log (These are nice). Solve OG problems daily and keep track of your errors. Once you have finished the OG, use the error log to work on your weaker sections.
6. Plan to finish reviewing all sections within a time-frame of six weeks. If you let it stretch, the preparation can go on for ever. Therefore, make goals and deadlines and stick to them.
7. Subscribe to GMAT Club question of the Day here. It is a fun way to be regular during your preparations. I used to solve the two problems that come daily via email just after lunch at my office.

Problem Solving
I had no real trouble in this section. So not many tips to share. Just remember that concepts behind the problems are very simple. These are not abstract equations you have to derive. The solutions are always simple.
Never make any question an ego-issue. If you haven't been able to solve a question for 4 minutes, don't just keep going hammer and tongs at it. Guess ! even if you get it wrong the next question will be simpler. If you waste your time you are risking getting a lot of questions wrong at the of the test.

Data Sufficiency
I tried to form an equation as I read the problem statement. This would give me an idea of how many variables are there, and what information I need to solve the question. Sometimes it worked, sometimes didn't. Just another approach .

Sentence Correction
Most difficult section to master for me. Read a lot and a lot and a lot. Basically, if you are lucky there will be more than one rules separating the correct answer from the wrong ones. Normally, one rule (the easier one) would get you down to two choices, and both would seem equally possible. There are rules to separate them of course, but if you don't know them just hope that this is your lucky day .
(Check out this resource for reference)

Critical Reasoning
Practice, Practice, Practice !!! If you solve enough problems, you would start realizing the GMAT way of thinking and CR would become a piece of cake. There is no substitute for practice here. No matter how plausible your answer seems to you, if GMAT says it is wrong, it is wrong.
(Check out this resource for reference)

Reading Comprehension
I love reading, and this was perhaps the easiest section for me. You have to get used to reading, and the mock tests will help you a lot in this regard. The reading stamina slowly build up. So do not panic if you eyes become bleary and brain freezes on those long RCs. Steadily your mind will adjust, just keep at it.

Mock Test Phase
When you feel you have covered enough subjects to be confident in your ability to hold your own in the GMAT, give the GMAT Prep 1 test. Try and replicate exam conditions, and sitting for the exam for the full 75 minutes of both sections. Whatever your score is, don't get disheartened. This test was just a reality check. We now know, the things you are good at and not so good at. Try to improve your score by practicing questions from your weakest sections.
The next time you give a Mock test, write the two Analysis essays as well. The actual GMAT is 4 hour and not 3 hour. The first hour you spend writing the essays will drain you. In the majority of the cases, when people feel that they were performing well in the mocks but couldn't replicate the scores in GMAT, the problem is that their mind was only trained to be sharp for 3 hours straight. That is when you are at the start of your Verbal section in your actual GMAT. And then the score just tapers off. Make it a habit to write the Analysis essays in all the mocks.
Plan to give the GMAT Prep 2 a couple of days before the GMAT (or as close as you feel comfortable). This should be your indicator for the performance in actual GMAT. If the score is still bad, do not panic. Analyze your GMAT Prep 2 performance. Identify the questions you got wrong, identify the patterns. Did you get consecutive questions wrong at the end of section ? Then make sure your concentration is higher in the actual GMAT. Did you perform weakly in CR ? Spend extra time in GMAT on questions from this section. Make such strategies for the exam day for yourself.

D-Day
Just remember pace yourself in the GMAT. You would be charged up when you reach the exam center. Normally your brain would be in peak performance mode. Don't waste this. Remember you have to write those two 30 minutes essays. Stay calm when you enter the center, and try to psyche yourself up for the test as you go along. You should hit the peak performance level at the start of Quant, not the essays.

Hope I am able to help at least a little. Happy GMATting .

Awesome! Loved reading your debrief!
Could you please post the contents of this on the forum -->
Importance of timing the GMAT right !!! Target : MBA admit for fall 2012
Blogs are blocked in my office.

Also, your mock CAT scores bitte?

Awesome! Loved reading your debrief!
Could you please post the contents of this on the forum -->
Importance of timing the GMAT right !!! Target : MBA admit for fall 2012
Blogs are blocked in my office.

Also, your mock CAT scores bitte?

Your final GMAT score will depend on your motivation and alertness before the exam. If you give it too early you will be less prepared If you dally too long, boredom will set in and the mind will not be so sharp anymore.
Moral of the story : Get a GMAT date which falls in your peak productive period.

Got my AWA scores today ... perfect 6 ... so all sections in GMAT are above 90 percentile ... so that should take care of the GMAT side of things ... now on to school selection and applications

-----------------------------------

Got my AWA scores today ... perfect 6 ... so all sections in GMAT are above 90 percentile ... so that should take care of the GMAT side of things ... now on to school selection and applications

-----------------------------------

Awesome !!!
Went through your blog, very well written and informative !
Awesome !!!
Went through your blog, very well written and informative !

Thanks sausi007 😃
Hi dude,

Could you please let me know from where did you sign up for the MGMAT mock tests and for how much?

Could you please share if there is any link on the website to do the same as I am nit able to do it.

thnx in advance.

Hi Sumit,

I bought the Manhattan SC book and got the 6 MGMAT tests free with that. Basically on each book there is a unique code which you can use to access the tests.

The tests can be accessed here : Manhattan GMAT Computer Adaptive Practice Exams - 1 Year Access

Hey i started my gmat preparation just a few days back (after not clearing xlri's waitlist 😞 ). M planning to give gmat in sept. (max 20th). I gave a free test on gmattest.com n scored 685 n 630 in manhattan free test though in both tests my last question in verbal was not counted as I was not knowing that I'd to finish it by pressing the 'next' button n not wait for it to process it automatically thus reducing my score drastically. I wish to know if preparing from kaplan is advisable. Presently I am studying OG12 but after giving the manhattan test I realized that the diff level of OG12 is a bit too low. So I want to know material with a higher diff level esp. for CR which I believe is my weakest point.

arjunfadnis87 Says
Hey i started my gmat preparation just a few days back (after not clearing xlri's waitlist 😞 ). M planning to give gmat in sept. (max 20th). I gave a free test on gmattest.com n scored 685 n 630 in manhattan free test though in both tests my last question in verbal was not counted as I was not knowing that I'd to finish it by pressing the 'next' button n not wait for it to process it automatically thus reducing my score drastically. I wish to know if preparing from kaplan is advisable. Presently I am studying OG12 but after giving the manhattan test I realized that the diff level of OG12 is a bit too low. So I want to know material with a higher diff level esp. for CR which I believe is my weakest point.

Hi arjun,

the manhattan tests are not representative of the GMAT question difficulty levels ... I would suggest that you stick to the OG12 for practice ... once you are done with the OG 12 you can use the various mock GMAT tests which are available online for further practice ... but remember the score in these tests can not reflect the GMAT Prep tests ... if you still feel the need to solve tougher questions I recommed the KAPLAN GMAT 800 book which is a collection of difficult problems in both verbal and quant sections.

---------------------------------

Hi,
Could anyone in this thread provide me some inputs on my writing below :

AWA ESSAYS: Analyze IssuesESSAY QUESTION:Poor health and high stress levels diminish the productivity of todays office workers. In order to maximize profits, companies need to provide white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes.

In your opinion, how accurate is the view expressed above? Use reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading to develop your position.

YOUR RESPONSE: The statement that providing white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes will lead to better health and lower stress thus leading to an increase in productivity of workers is not a very reasoned comment.In the following paragraphs,I will clearly state the fallacies in the statement to highlight the flaws.
Firstly,poor health can result from a variety of factors.There needs to be a detailed analysis on an individual basis to find out the exact reasons behind the poor health of a particular person.Generally,it is seen that food habits and sleep play as important a role in maintaining good health as that of exercise.Exercise may not yield substantial benefits if the reasons for poor health are mapped to other factors.
Secondly,the statement assumes that if companies provide free exercise facilities,employees will use it.There is no reason to believe this as the choice to exercise is a personal choice.There could be a possible scenario wherein the poor health of employees are acting as a detarant for exercising.
Thirdly,high stress levels are directly related to the job profile.Employees may continue to experience high stress levels even after attending wellness classes.In order to manage stress,companies need to carry out a case by case analysis and decide whether wellness classes will be effective or not.
Finally,productivity of office workers depend on a variety of factors other than just poor health and high stress levels.Some of the other factors may include infrastructure,pay and work environment.There needs to be an improvement on all aspects in order for an organization to be more productive.

To conclude,I will state that merely providing free exercise facilities and free wellness classes will not result in better productivity of workers.Companies need to examine the broader picture for coming up with appropriate measures to increase productivity and thereby increasing their profits.

BTW,I got a 650 in the first test of Manhattan series 46 in Quant and 34 in verbal.

Hi,
I am also providing my analysis of an argument below.Please review it...

AWA ESSAYS: Analyze ArgumentESSAY QUESTION:The following appeared in a strategy memorandum of an investment company:

Over the past several years, investment in precious metals, such as gold and silver, has proven to be one of the most profitable investment strategies for our firm. Over the next decade, the demand for these metals is expected to be strong, largely driven by the economic growth of large emerging markets--China, India, and Russia. Thus, our investors are best served by increasing their exposure to precious metals to take advantage of this unique profit-making opportunity.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE: The argument states that investors are best served by increasing their exposure to precious metals because the trend over the past several years seems to be in favour of such investments.However,the argument fails to take into account some very important factors which I will highlight in the following paragraphs.

Firstly,investment on particular products should take into account not just the trend of past several years but also the probable geo-political and economic scenario in the coming decade.One should similarly also try to find out the reason behind the strong demand of the precious metals in the last few years.The results then need to be analyzed to find out whether the same factors will continue to push demand in the coming decade or not.

Secondly,to base an investment decision mainly on the demand created in three emerging nations is not a wise decision.An investment ideally should be able to overcome regional disturbances and give good returns even during tough times.

Thirdly,precious metals are a very wide category which includes a lot of materials other than gold and silver.The strategy does not clearly specify the exact metals on which the investments will be made in the coming decade.There is a probable chance that one particular metal will give higher returns than that of another precious metal.The memorandum fails to specify the metals on which the investments are going to give better returns.

Finally,a decade is generally considered to be too long a period for investment purpose.The memorandum fails to distinguish between short-term and long-term investors .It makes a generic statement without taking into account investor preferences.

All in all,the argument in the memorandum fails on multiple accounts.There needs to be more detailed analysis of the situation to arrive at the conclusion made in the argument.

Thanks
-X

Hi,
Could anyone in this thread provide me some inputs on my writing below :

AWA ESSAYS: Analyze IssuesESSAY QUESTION:Poor health and high stress levels diminish the productivity of todays office workers. In order to maximize profits, companies need to provide white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes.

In your opinion, how accurate is the view expressed above? Use reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading to develop your position.

YOUR RESPONSE: The statement that providing white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes will lead to better health and lower stress thus leading to an increase in productivity of workers is not a very reasoned comment.In the following paragraphs,I will clearly state the fallacies in the statement to highlight the flaws.
Firstly,poor health can result from a variety of factors.There needs to be a detailed analysis on an individual basis to find out the exact reasons behind the poor health of a particular person.Generally,it is seen that food habits and sleep play as important a role in maintaining good health as that of exercise.Exercise may not yield substantial benefits if the reasons for poor health are mapped to other factors.
Secondly,the statement assumes that if companies provide free exercise facilities,employees will use it.There is no reason to believe this as the choice to exercise is a personal choice.There could be a possible scenario wherein the poor health of employees are acting as a detarant for exercising.
Thirdly,high stress levels are directly related to the job profile.Employees may continue to experience high stress levels even after attending wellness classes.In order to manage stress,companies need to carry out a case by case analysis and decide whether wellness classes will be effective or not.
Finally,productivity of office workers depend on a variety of factors other than just poor health and high stress levels.Some of the other factors may include infrastructure,pay and work environment.There needs to be an improvement on all aspects in order for an organization to be more productive.

To conclude,I will state that merely providing free exercise facilities and free wellness classes will not result in better productivity of workers.Companies need to examine the broader picture for coming up with appropriate measures to increase productivity and thereby increasing their profits.

BTW,I got a 650 in the first test of Manhattan series 46 in Quant and 34 in verbal.

Hi Arindam,

A great essay. I think that would be a 6/6. Just a minor comment. I would state clearly in the first paragraph what my take on the issue is with something like "In my opinion only free exercise facilities will not improve the productivity ...."

---------------------------------------
Hi,
I am also providing my analysis of an argument below.Please review it...

AWA ESSAYS: Analyze ArgumentESSAY QUESTION:The following appeared in a strategy memorandum of an investment company:

Over the past several years, investment in precious metals, such as gold and silver, has proven to be one of the most profitable investment strategies for our firm. Over the next decade, the demand for these metals is expected to be strong, largely driven by the economic growth of large emerging markets--China, India, and Russia. Thus, our investors are best served by increasing their exposure to precious metals to take advantage of this unique profit-making opportunity.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE: The argument states that investors are best served by increasing their exposure to precious metals because the trend over the past several years seems to be in favour of such investments.However,the argument fails to take into account some very important factors which I will highlight in the following paragraphs.

Firstly,investment on particular products should take into account not just the trend of past several years but also the probable geo-political and economic scenario in the coming decade.One should similarly also try to find out the reason behind the strong demand of the precious metals in the last few years.The results then need to be analyzed to find out whether the same factors will continue to push demand in the coming decade or not.

Secondly,to base an investment decision mainly on the demand created in three emerging nations is not a wise decision.An investment ideally should be able to overcome regional disturbances and give good returns even during tough times.

Thirdly,precious metals are a very wide category which includes a lot of materials other than gold and silver.The strategy does not clearly specify the exact metals on which the investments will be made in the coming decade.There is a probable chance that one particular metal will give higher returns than that of another precious metal.The memorandum fails to specify the metals on which the investments are going to give better returns.

Finally,a decade is generally considered to be too long a period for investment purpose.The memorandum fails to distinguish between short-term and long-term investors .It makes a generic statement without taking into account investor preferences.

All in all,the argument in the memorandum fails on multiple accounts.There needs to be more detailed analysis of the situation to arrive at the conclusion made in the argument.

Thanks
-X

Again a nice format and normally would ensure a 6/6 but what you should take care of is to add juice to your paragraphs. Writing just two lines in a paragraph could make it look like you did not really have a point and are just trying to follow a format. Just to avoid that possibility beef up your points with examples.

--------------------------------------------

Badhshah's comments on my first essays......Others are also most welcome to play critics :D

Hi Saurav

I went through your essay and here are my observations

1. try to beef up your paragraphs ... writing another paragraph for 1 or 2 lines of text feels like you had not thought the point through
2. The essay lacks continuity - You should use connecting words to open your essays like - Firstly, Secondly ... Other than that ... Also ... Additionally etc. etc.
3. Always have a concluding paragraph at the end of your essay to some up all your points and state your stand on the topic.

I would prefer if you pose these essays in the forum so that others can benefit from the observation too
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/gmat-a...0-q50-v44.html (Gmat 760 (q50, v44))

Best of Luck !!!

Quote:
Analysis of an Issue
ESSAY QUESTION: An author once wrote that "The invention of the telephone prevents us from appreciating the distance between us." Today this is even more true as the rise of the Internet has enabled inexpensive global communication.
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the position stated above. Support your viewpoint using reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
YOUR RESPONSE: I would like to disagree with the statement that "The invention of the telephone prevents us from appreciating the distance between us." In the following paragraphs, I will state the reasons for my disagreement.
The purpose of any form of communication is to by-pass the physical distance and make effective communication between people physically distant from each other possible. The physical distance needs to be appreciated by the people who are being connected by any means of communication, be it telephone, or the internet.
The intent of the author is questionable since any form of communication between distant people is better than having no communication. Today, internet has made global communication possible, video conferences have become much more popular and effective, it is not possible to have face to face meetings always. For example, in any technological development, there can be remote teams working on the development of one design. It is sometimes not possible to have all the people working at the same place, this is where the new modes of communication have opened new doors.
Cost-effective solutions are developed mostly when the work is outsourced to some distant area where the associated costs are much less compared to the base location of the company. The concept of outsourcing was fueled by the advent of cheaper global communication, physical distance just does not matter any more, effective communication is possible by means of Video Calls, Web-seminars etc.
Although, two lovers living in two different parts of the world might not feel much benefited by the use of available communication means, there are way too many benefits even for them, to question the available technologies. I would always prefer a video chat than writing a letter and waiting for a response for many days to come.