GMAT 730 with bad Acad - Do I stand a chance?

Hey Guys, I am an Economics Graduate with 49.7% from Hansraj College, DU. Before that I had 87% in HSC, and 75% in SSC. Due to family problems I couldn’t take up a post grad course, and had to start working. I have 4 years of Experience n…

Hey Guys,

I am an Economics Graduate with 49.7% from Hansraj College, DU. Before that I had 87% in HSC, and 75% in SSC.
Due to family problems I couldn't take up a post grad course, and had to start working. I have 4 years of Experience now as a Business Analyst in Marketing and Operations with GE/Genpact.

However in my Third Year (2003) I did manage to take CAT and GMAT in 2004. I managed 97th %ile in CAT and then GMAT I got a score of 730. Again due to the problems I couldn't pursue studies further.

My Problem: Bad Score in Graduation...

Plan for resurrection: Pursuing B.Com Open Learning Delhi University. Also, MA Eco from Mumbai University again from correspondence. Idea behind these is to get good graduation score, also get a Masters Degree. I should be finished with these in next 2 years.

Query: Do you think I stand a chance of making it to one of the top universities(like London School of Business, Stanford) if I had a good score, double graduation, and a postgrad, with good Analytics Experience of almost 6 years?
I don't have any doubts in my capability... the only miss was when we had our problems....Just wanted to know if these setbacks won't hamper my chances if I start to study again.

Please do give me a genuine advise. It can change my life.

Thanks 😃

Well..... no one can tell you for sure if you or anyone will get into a top B School or not.... the only way to find out is by applying for it ... you should have had applied early in sept 07

the chances of you getting into a top B school is 0 if you don't apply

the chances of you getting into a top b school is definitely more than 0 if you do apply

how does it matter what other think ....... my advice is apply and hope for the best.....

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Thanks Mate, Point taken. I couldn't study due to reasons was the bottom line then... Now my worry is about reforming my career, would I stand a chance after doing all this?

kunal_ankur Says
Thanks Mate, Point taken. I couldn't study due to reasons was the bottom line then... Now my worry is about reforming my career, would I stand a chance after doing all this?

do apply and get the point across in your essays - they mean a lot.. do that and hope for the best

Getting your desired university is a lot more dependent on merely your academic background or even your GMAT score, bro......as is very rightly suggested, make genuine efforts to write a very nice SOP/ essayto put across your thoughts to the selection committe.
And after all, the people in the committe of such highly reputed universities, who face the magnanamous task of picking genuine prospetcs each year, are no abecedarians....they will understand your point and your position only if you genuiney let them know......so make a good attempt and when so much has gone good for you despite family issues, the remaining part will go smoothly as well......

all the best and no need to feel skeptical about the whole thing...:)

irrelevant post.sorry

ajeesh.aj Says
very thin chance dude

And you are saying this based on.....????

If you dont know, please dont dishearten somebody. The person has a lot of work-ex that will go in his favour. While the GMAT score is old ( he's probably going to be asked to re-take) its NOT The ALL and End ALL of applications. There's more to a person/application that mere numbers. Its the story you tell. If he's got a good story to tell, there's no telling where he can go.

Apna PG hd only 55% in graduation and went to W. I know somebody else who had the same and also went to W.

Think before you discourage somebody.

Hey guys, I joined sometime back, but this is my first post here.

I have the same problem as the original poster.

I am still in my 8th sem Engineering from Bangalore Insitute of Technology. Very bad performance. My aggregate right now is just abt 50%.

11th and 12th, my aggregate was 70 something. In Xth (CBSE), I got 88%.

Now, is there any hope for me ? What sort of work experience should I be looking at ? I was originally planning for abt 2-3 years of working before applying for an MBA abroad.

And please be honest. Dont worry abt discouraging me :). I know I have been foolish these last 4 years and I deserve the punishment. But before going ahead with my future plans, I need to assess my chances very realistically.

I didnt write CAT 2007 because my aggregate was 49.33%. I did write XAT and got 93.3%tile. But again, I didnt actually study. I stopped studying sometime in October end after the last Mockcat (even though I knew I was not writing CAT, I continued studying till that time thinking I'll concentrate on XAT).

And XAT was in the middle of my semester exams. I had one engg exam before XAT and one after it.

i am sorry neo. i probably got his gmat score wrong.

Same problem here. Got a 730 but Bad acads. + points are graduated from top law school in India , excellent extra curriculars, good work experience and career progression in fortune 50 firms (5 yrs) and presently report to a person reporting to the country head in a major computer hardware company and the exposure from this is great as well.

I am going out on a limb and applying to a places in the top 10, US. Had an accident which screwed my grades and I never bothered picking them up again :P, but I hope to address this in my essays.

Though I've been told that anything within top 10 is pretty much impossible, I feel its worth a try. As far as chances go, you never know until you make your case.

Same problem here. Got a 730 but Bad acads. .....

As far as chances go, you never know until you make your case.

At 5yrs work-ex you are beyond the point where acads will play a big role. Since your GMAT score will now be a better indicator of your ability to study, your 730 is only going to work in your favour.

You are going to be very competitive at most of the top schools. Your diversity is another plus factor.

Your shot at a Top10 is a whole lot better than you think it is.