GMAT 730, But low quant percentile

Hi all, I took my GMAT day before, and managed a 730 (96 %ile), with 48 in quant (85 %ile) and 45 in verbal (95%ile). I have around 2 years of experience with a research-consulting firm (2 promotions), and am involved with strategizing t…

Hi all,

I took my GMAT day before, and managed a 730 (96 %ile), with 48 in quant (85 %ile) and 45 in verbal (95%ile).

I have around 2 years of experience with a research-consulting firm (2 promotions), and am involved with strategizing the launch of our services in India. I have a 1st div in Eco Hons from a an average college in DU, and few extra-curriculars.

Given these factors, do you guys think i stand a chance in ISB and good global B-schools? What schools would you reccommend I apply to, so that I have a good chance.

I would rather leave for school in 2009, than work (although I love the work!).

Thank you in advance for your advice, guys!

Dear Akshay

Congrats

Could u tell me whats the min score you've heard of gmat??

Am weak in quant and above avg in verbal- is there any chance of hitting even 550+..??

regards

Hi Akshay,
congrats on ur score........ 45 in verbal is awesome dude... can u suggest some prep strategy..... i m taking GMAT in 2 months......thanks in advance

Hi akshay!

I have a GMAT score of 700 with a 71%ile in quant and a 95%ile in english. i have a pretty low-to-avg gpa in eco from a good DU college. i have admits from columbia, an interview from chicago, cornell, isb (with a 2L scholarship), emory (50% schol) and vanderbilt (100%schol).

so u see, its do-able 😃 i think what mattered was that i made my recommenders talk abt my analytical and quant ablities a lot.. and also i stressed majorly the quant-excel-math side of my job. in fact, i took my gmat in april07 and moved into a VERY quant-heavy job profile in jul07 (i suck at this profile i think - but it was a skill i needed, for my post mba plans and also to show them that im not ALL that bad at math)
so in my essays i talked repeatedly about how i had to overcome my quant fears, and how my job needed me to be good with numbers - and how im so good at my job :D

i think your gmat is just fine.. you need to work on an overall strategy to get into a good school... a gmat is simply a check in the box thing. my opinion :)

now i dont know how well this strategy will work for you; but just thought i'll tell you my story anyway.. if you feel like talking some more, you can PM me or post on this thread :

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/columbia-10-admit-taking-questions-25029105

good luck! :)

Hi all,

I took my GMAT day before, and managed a 730 (96 %ile), with 48 in quant (85 %ile) and 45 in verbal (95%ile).

I have around 2 years of experience with a research-consulting firm (2 promotions), and am involved with strategizing the launch of our services in India. I have a 1st div in Eco Hons from a an average college in DU, and few extra-curriculars.

Given these factors, do you guys think i stand a chance in ISB and good global B-schools? What schools would you reccommend I apply to, so that I have a good chance.

I would rather leave for school in 2009, than work (although I love the work!).

Thank you in advance for your advice, guys!

Hey guys,

The lowest score is 400 i guess, but do not worry abt that. Thinker's profile is exactly similar to mine- terrible quant, great verbal (took CAT 2005, got 99%V, 87% DI and 25%ile math {score of 0}). My only advice is to start study for a good 6 mnths before gmat, 2-3 times a week.

All books/tests are available online, just google the book's name in quote followed by rapisdshare. Even ensips and meagaupload have a lot of stuff.

I found the actual GMAT quant to be tougher than any sample I had ever taken; be prepared and eat Kaplan.

For verbal, CR and RC come easily with practice, but SC is a b*tch. I memorized Manhattan SC (available on esnips) by rote (literally) . Many ppl would tell u to ignore idioms, but that is terrible advice - idioms account for a major % of RC questions - memorize each one.

Hope this helps!

columbia10admit - WOW!!!!!

That was truly inspiring advice!! 😃 :)

My job is more of qualitative analysis in finance best practices, but I think i can make that fly. It would be tremendously helpful if you could tell me how many years of XP you had?

Thanks so much for the megawatt inspiration!!!

exactly 3 years in may this year.

glad to have helped!! i know how nerve-wracking this process can be.. i was a mess :)
let me know if you need anything else - i am in fin services too so maybe i can help!

columbia10admit - WOW!!!!!

That was truly inspiring advice!! 😃 :)

My job is more of qualitative analysis in finance best practices, but I think i can make that fly. It would be tremendously helpful if you could tell me how many years of XP you had?

Thanks so much for the megawatt inspiration!!!

can we please post on only one thread :D

exactly 3 years in may this year.

glad to have helped!! i know how nerve-wracking this process can be.. i was a mess :)
let me know if you need anything else - i am in fin services too so maybe i can help!

one last thing - your stats/math scores in college? are they good? if they are, mention them, fit them in, even if in the passing. these guys seem to be big on stats and calculus.

columbia10admit Says
can we please post on only one thread :D

Math scores were OK, but ability leaves much to be desired 😃

My mental math is bad, but calculus etc. were managable, although I am now badly out of touch!

If you believe you can improve your quant, i would definitely encourage you to target 750+ and take the GMAT again.

I say this after a horrible year of b-school applications, where I was dinged by ISB and 4 top US B-Schools and Waitlisted by one. People will talk back and forth about why there are "so many factors" where I could have s***wed up to land in my present state, but I believe my GMAT (
I have been admitted to XLRI GMP and am awaiting a decision from Texas McCombs.

Good luck !

Math scores were OK, but ability leaves much to be desired 😃

My mental math is bad, but calculus etc. were managable, although I am now badly out of touch!

heeeeeeeeeeelp!!! panic attack has set in... I have another 6days to go for my GMAT an I still suck major at math.... quant has always been a problem for me.... my scores in the practice CAT's are:

Kaplan(both higher score and CD companion): 590 - 640
Cambridge - 690 Q42-44 V 42-44
Power Prep - Math-44 Verbal 42
Princeton - average around 690 usually with math around 42 and verbal 42-44

I have my aim set at 750... an I am now running around with a blocked brain and dreaming numbers especially 7 with a dagger pointed at my chest!!! :puppydog::puppydog::puppydog:

Please help!! any help at all in trying to bump my quant score to 50 is really really appreciated!!!
I finished OG 10 , all PS and will wrap up DS by tomorrow.. the trouble with me is I usually cant forget the answers so if I try retake a test I usually skew the results!! :puppydog::puppydog:

I just want to get over this gmat thingee before chaps in white coats come to take me away!

help help help help!!!

Hello!

I saw your post on how you handled an "off the target" quant percentile in your ISB essays!....

I am pretty much on the same boat,but on the other side...I.e.. my Verbal is "off the target"

GMAt -680
Quant -50
Verbal -32

AWA 6.0

Do you think I would stand a chance at ISB?

Other positive points in my App would be

Work Ex: 3 years of which 2 years are International ( I.e..at client location,California)

I am from IT services company (Cognizant) and my role at client location is more of Functional and Application Expertise.

Also,how do you think I can justify my weak verbal score? Will it make sense if I highlight my AWA scre (6 on 6) ??

Thanks!

Hello!
I saw your post on how you handled an "off the target" quant percentile in your ISB essays!....
I am pretty much on the same boat,but on the other side...I.e.. my Verbal is "off the target"
GMAt -680
Quant -50
Verbal -32
AWA 6.0
Do you think I would stand a chance at ISB?
Other positive points in my App would be
Work Ex: 3 years of which 2 years are International ( I.e..at client location,California)
I am from IT services company (Cognizant) and my role at client location is more of Functional and Application Expertise.
Also,how do you think I can justify my weak verbal score? Will it make sense if I highlight my AWA scre (6 on 6) ??
Thanks!

Hi there? Are you still with CTS? I am also a CTS employee :new_ukliam2: me too gunning for my GMAT..do you mind sharing some details about GMAT? I will PM you my details...