GMAT 720 Work Ex 14 months Acads dull :(( Need Help!!!

Hi All !!! Need some good help on what course of action i shall take. My Profile: GMAT Score 720 (Q50 V37) Work experience 14 months to date in an IT firm. Planning for Fall 07 (Which means my work-ex will be around 1.5 Yrs at t…

Hi All !!!

Need some good help on what course of action i shall take.
My Profile:

GMAT Score 720 (Q50 V37)
Work experience 14 months to date in an IT firm.

Planning for Fall 07 (Which means my work-ex will be around 1.5 Yrs at the time of application and just about 2 yrs at session start (God Only Knows if it starts with me enrolled))

But thats not the only thing bothering me, in fact the problem just begins here:

My Academic profile:

Xth 83%
XII 74%
B.Tech 63% (Still worse (read WORST) had to repeat one subject of final year, causing delay in egree by one batch)

I really don't know which schools i stand chances at or if I stand any chances at all :nervous:

I know most would advise me to wait for another year and then apply, however i wish to give it a shot this time. If it doesnt work..there shall always be another time.

It shall be great I could get a realistic evaluation of the profile. And if anybody feels MBA wont be just a dream with this kind of background which b-schools shall i target in US/Europe/AsiaPacific.

Thanks in advance,
Prahlaad Vishnu.

Hi All !!! Need some good help on what course of action i shall take. My Profile: GMAT Score 720 (Q50 V37), Work experience 14 months to date in an IT firm. Planning for Fall 07 (Which means my work-ex will be around 1.5 Yrs at the time of application and just about 2 yrs at session start (God Only Knows if it starts with me enrolled)) But thats not the only thing bothering me, in fact the problem just begins here:

My Academic profile: Xth 83%, XII 74%, B.Tech 63% (Still worse (read WORST) had to repeat one subject of final year, causing delay in egree by one batch)

I really don't know which schools i stand chances at or if I stand any chances at all :nervous:
I know most would advise me to wait for another year and then apply, however i wish to give it a shot this time. If it doesnt work..there shall always be another time. It shall be great I could get a realistic evaluation of the profile. And if anybody feels MBA wont be just a dream with this kind of background which b-schools shall i target in US/Europe/AsiaPacific. Thanks in advance, Prahlaad Vishnu.

Despite a good GMAT score, you lack the experience for top schools to consider you unless you have achieved something spectacular, which doesn't seem the case. Suggest you work for 2-3 years loner before evaluating your options after. Your GMAT is valid for 5 years, so no worries.
Hi All !!!

Need some good help on what course of action i shall take.
My Profile:

GMAT Score 720 (Q50 V37)
Work experience 14 months to date in an IT firm.

Planning for Fall 07 (Which means my work-ex will be around 1.5 Yrs at the time of application and just about 2 yrs at session start (God Only Knows if it starts with me enrolled))

But thats not the only thing bothering me, in fact the problem just begins here:

My Academic profile:

Xth 83%
XII 74%
B.Tech 63% (Still worse (read WORST) had to repeat one subject of final year, causing delay in egree by one batch)

I know most would advise me to wait for another year and then apply, however i wish to give it a shot this time. If it doesnt work..there shall always be another time.

It shall be great I could get a realistic evaluation of the profile. And if anybody feels MBA wont be just a dream with this kind of background which b-schools shall i target in US/Europe/AsiaPacific.

Thanks in advance,
Prahlaad Vishnu.

Hi Vishnu.
First of all, congratulations for shattering the 700 boundary (now-a-days everyone is worried about it... ISB effect, methinks!) 😃

You asked for REALISTIC evaluation of your profile.. well, I may not be competent enough for a REALISTIC evaluation, but I may try to hint you a few things that you can do in order to strengthen your candidature before you get into a biz school next year.

You said that by the next July (07, that is) you will have 2 years of experience. So why not try to make it an International one? I dont know much about how an IT firm works, but I have seen umpteen number of IT/software related people going to US/UK an only God know where not, for work!

The next in line are your Personal Statements (read: Essays), arguably the strongest and most important part of your application. I have seen that many applicants in the enthu of great GMAT score tend to overlook this factor. Believe me you can nail admission to ANY school if you do a great job writing fantastic essays. Good GMAT scores ensure Scholarships.

Recommendations: The admission committee has a mixed sentiment about this part. I have talked to so many biz schools.. and many say that they dont really look at Reco too seriously (for Intnl. Students). Reasons are pretty simple. Way Too Much Tampering & Dishonesty. The serious recommendations are very realistic. They tend to outline some of your strengths from other person's POV, one who has interacted with you for a couple of years. But mostly people write their own Recos and its language/tone/style/perception are not different from your essay's. Never overlook the fact that the members of the ad-com have spend more number of years in reading applications than what your present age is!

And if all of the above-stated things go well, then be ready for a good interview.

I hope it helps.
All the very best

Hi Baccardisprite,Avsji !

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I am aware of my limited work experience and also about the negative impact of my acads.

I shall try to figure out any college that offers good prospects,and act accordingly.
I am also considering the option of waiting a little longer.

Anyways, thanks a lot...please do put in any relevant information you guys (n others) come across.

Prahlaad Vishnu.

Hi Baccardisprite,Avsji !

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I am aware of my limited work experience and also about the negative impact of my acads.

I shall try to figure out any college that offers good prospects,and act accordingly.
I am also considering the option of waiting a little longer.

Anyways, thanks a lot...please do put in any relevant information you guys (n others) come across.

Prahlaad Vishnu.

Well i aint gonna give u any sugar coated stuff... Mate u said ur degree was delayed.. which means Ur degree isnt a first class one... Correct me If im wrong... Most of the top B Schools go in for very high undergraduate GPA... So the effect of a not First Class Degree s gonna be worse... Id rather suggest u to hav a work ex of a coupla yrs more... N try makin your profile impressive.... Some really challenging assignments at work could make a lotta difference...Plus try n involve urself in activities of Social relevance... Part time Assignments wid sum NGO s could prove really useful... Belv me Top B Sculs.. Especially the American ones give it a lotta importance... It indicates that u r a gud potential leader...

Well.. u really cant change what has happened in the past.. So no point in frettin about it... But its never tooooo late... So gud luk mate...

Hi Hariskaimal,

Thanks for putting in your views,esp. coz i wasn't lookin for any sugar coated stuff either.
As for my degree: though delayed it's still a first class.
Anyways that doesn't help much in my case,looking at the other factors.

Thanks again all you guys!

Smiles,
Prahlaad Vishnu.