Gmat 720 (v39 Q49)

Hi, Finally took the GMAT yesterday and got a 720 :smile: Maths - 49 Verbal - 39 hope this gets me some decent calls now…have to start the process of applications/essays/LORs soon :satisfie: If anyone wants tips on GMAT p…

Hi,

Finally took the GMAT yesterday and got a 720 :smile:

Maths - 49
Verbal - 39

hope this gets me some decent calls now.....have to start the process of applications/essays/LORs soon :satisfie:

If anyone wants tips on GMAT prep or exam, please let me know......it was a rollercoaster ride all the way with a few ups and downs

but one thing's true, GMAT prep is as much about strategy as practice

cheers,
Nathan

Hi,

Maths - 49
Verbal - 39

hope this gets me some decent calls now.....have to start the process of applications/essays/LORs soon :satisfie:

If anyone wants tips on GMAT prep or exam, please let me know......it was a rollercoaster ride all the way with a few ups and downs

cheers,
Nathan

Great Score dude!

Congratulations!

Yes, We do need some tips. Mind sharing your preparation and strategy?

Cheers,
Unplugged

gr8888888 score!
my G day is on 16th nov
completed Kaplan,Pr and doin OG 11 and supplements nw
Nt able to score more than 600 in Kaplan exams
Plz guide
Wch book to refer for AWA???

Hi,

Maths - 49
Verbal - 39

cheers,
Nathan
gr8888888 score!
my G day is on 16th nov
completed Kaplan,Pr and doin OG 11 and supplements nw
Nt able to score more than 600 in Kaplan exams
Plz guide
Wch book to refer for AWA???

Hi Pinkii,
Best of Luck with the GMAT...I gave mine day before and got a 730 (Quant : 50,V: 39).
I wouldn't worry too much about the scores in Kaplan.I didn't get any beyond 620.I think you should use them simply to get a feel of how it is to sit for 4 hrs at a stretch.As far as AWA goes,I wouldn't really think that you need to refer to any books,make sure that you start writing your essays in the practice tests right from the beginning.There are a number of AWA templates available online which you could probably refer to.You need to have the AWA skeleton in place..You could fill it up based upon the actual topics
HTH

thnx 4 ur reply man
congo 4 a gr8888 score!!!!!!!
I ve nt yet received the CD wch we get on registration
i ve downloaded gmatprep from mba.com
is the material same in cd and software????

Hi Pinkii,
Best of Luck with the GMAT...I gave mine day before and got a 730 (Quant : 50,V: 39).
I wouldn't worry too much about the scores in Kaplan.I didn't get any beyond 620.I think you should use them simply to get a feel of how it is to sit for 4 hrs at a stretch.As far as AWA goes,I wouldn't really think that you need to refer to any books,make sure that you start writing your essays in the practice tests right from the beginning.There are a number of AWA templates available online which you could probably refer to.You need to have the AWA skeleton in place..You could fill it up based upon the actual topics
HTH
thnx 4 ur reply man
congo 4 a gr8888 score!!!!!!!
I ve nt yet received the CD wch we get on registration
i ve downloaded gmatprep from mba.com
is the material same in cd and software????

Yup its the same ....Make sure you reset them and give them again ...Have you also given the Princeton tests ? They are quite a morale booster..I mean especially after kaplan...Although they are not really to the level of Powerprep....I found them to be a good way to just boost your confidence after getting totally frustrated after Kaplan...
Cheers

reset them??????Didnt get you.......
I bought PR but it doesnt contain any teste except the DVD
where to get PR tests
thnx

Yup its the same ....Make sure you reset them and give them again ...Have you also given the Princeton tests ? They are quite a morale booster..I mean especially after kaplan...Although they are not really to the level of Powerprep....I found them to be a good way to just boost your confidence after getting totally frustrated after Kaplan...
Cheers

Here are some details from my GMAT prep:

Q. How much was the total duration for GMAT prep?
A. Exactly 2 months. I started in mid Aug by taking a Princeton online test in which I got 590 without any preparation. So I was confident to at least touching 700 in two months of prep. Moreover as I had prepared for IIT and IIM CAT exams earlier so the basics were pretty ok.

Q. What was the preparation material used in the prep?
A. I joined at one of the institutes where I attended weekend classes for the preparation. Though one doesnt need classes if the preparation is focused and single minded, but as my job was pretty hectic so I joined classes to put some discipline into the prep and interact with other ppl taking the exam. It turned out to be a good experience as I could get some useful tips in the classes and keep the prep on track.

I started with Princeton Review and OG and was able to add roughly 50 marks to my initial score to reach approximately 650 in the mock tests. but after 650 the level of questions increses and one need practice on tougher problems to move the score further. On realising this I bought KAPLAN 800, KAPLAN GMAT Verbal workbook OG quantitive review and covered on about 75-80% of them.

The most useful book for raising the score till and beyond 700 seems to be KAPLAN 800. It helps you to get familiar with the tougher questions and move faster through the easier questions.

Q. What were the parts of the test I found tough?
A. The two sections in which I committed the most mistakes were DS and SC. I found it was the same for a number of other people too. About 80% of my incorrect answers were in these sections inspite of devoting the maximum time for practising them.

Q. how was the performance in mock tests?
A. In all I took seven full mock tests, 5 from Princeton and 2 GMAT Prep Tests.

The scores in Princeton tests in the order I got them are:

- 590 (2 months before test)
- 620 (1 day before test)

In GMAT Prep:

- 700 (1 week before test)
- 710 (2 days before test)

My understanding is that Princeton tests are not reflective of the actual GMAT test because of 2 reasons:

- the questions are much easier than actual GMAT
- the logic to calculate GMAT marks is different from actual GMAT, so even if you get more correct answers, your score will be much below that in a GMAT prep test

This is an important point because this means that you cannot deicde on your performance level from a princeton test, which is really a shame. Hence the most you can use them for is to practice holding your concentration for 4 hours. Hence even though I got 620 in a Princeton test just the day before my GMAT, I know that the problem is in the test and not in my prep :)

I would have liked to take some of the Kaplan tests, but couldnt arrange for them before my GMAT test date.

Well I guess some of you may find this info useful, if you have any other questions then do ping me

I will write a little bit about the strategy that I used to attack different sections after a while, now have to get back to work on my essays....:)

Btw received my GMAT score report today, have got a 5.5 in AWA .......:)

plzzzzzz clarify
wt do you mean by RESET the gmatprep?????

nathanmuir Says
Btw received my GMAT score report today, have got a 5.5 in AWA .......:)
reset them??????Didnt get you.......
I bought PR but it doesnt contain any teste except the DVD
where to get PR tests
thnx

Hi Pinkii,
After finishing the test and reviewing the results on Powerprep,you can try to give the tests again.The software would then prompt you to check if you need to reset the results of your previous attempt.You can then reset the results and give the tests again.You should be presented with a new set of questions.
As far as the Princeton CD goes,I guess the one you get with the latest edition of Princeton does not contain any tests.I had a CD from some years back.Did you try registering on the Princeton site.The info is given on the last page of the book.Maybe there are some tests that you can download there.
HTH