GMAT 720, Tips and More!!!

Hey PGs, I am back . I was waiting for my AWA score to start the thread. I took my test around 2 weeks ago and scored the following: Total: 720 Quant: 51 Verbal: 36 AWA: 5.5 I shall present my preparations and my experience …

Hey PGs,

I am back . I was waiting for my AWA score to start the thread.
I took my test around 2 weeks ago and scored the following:

Total: 720
Quant: 51
Verbal: 36
AWA: 5.5

I shall present my preparations and my experience with the test. First, the preparation.

So, I started my GMAT prep around 3 months ago. I had a grueling time, only because I have a 11 hour job. The going was tough. I faced difficulties with almost all sections at different times, I guess thats true with almost everyone pursuing GMAT.

I read many books. Princeton, Kaplan 800, Manhattan, OG-11, OG-12, Nova...and the list goes on. I did tests from 800 score, cambridge, kaplan, princeton and GMAT prep. I did 1000SC (full), 1000CR (almost full), and 1000RC (200RCs or so)...that must look like a lot, but to be very frank it was foolish. TRUST ME. I did it all, and it wasnt helpful. So, here is what I suggest you use for the preparation.

SC: Manhattan SC- No doubt about this one. OG-12 is must do, and dont concentrate on what is right, but on what is wrong. (this is the best tip), practice SC ques from 1000SC, as many as u can.

RC: Now, this was my weakest section, or rather i made this my weakest section. Dont be nervous abt RCs. There is nothing to it but practice. Try various strategies: making notes (din work for me) or skimming or quick read and reference back (best one)-and choose what suits you.

CR: Look at the structure of CR (very important, as GMAT exam has many same structured ones as OG). OG is the only book needed. Dont go for anything else. Practice from 1000CR.

Quant: Well, quant is becoming tougher with time, and I reckon you use Kaplan 800 (only for quant, dont even look at SC section, CR and RC your choice, I wudnt use them ). Kaplan 800 has good mix of DS and PS questions.
OG n Kaplan is sufficient.

AWA: See templates, make your own and practice a few before the test, else you will be taxed at the time of the exam.

TESTS:

Kaplan Test 1: 640
Kaplan Test 2: 680
Kaplan tests are way higher in level than GMAT prep as far as verbal is concerned, and quant is below the level of GMAT
Kaplan has good timed sectional test, i recommend them

GMAT Prep 1: 740 (M49, V 42)
GMAT Prep 2: 710 (M 49, V 3
GMAT Prep 3: 750 (M50, V 42)
(So you see, I had a bad verbal day 😞 )

Cambridge (Please dont do this; same reason as below)
Princeton (I think their scoring algo is crappy)
Manhattan: I heard this is good, but din try

In all, dont take more than 5 practice tests. I found the 800 score tests useful. These are part tests. But again they have crappy algo, so use them as an indicator of percentage of questions correct.

Dont do too many tests, they arnt useful. Take tests only to get accustomed to a GMAT test. Use GMAT prep tests judiciously, keep one for the last two weeks & learn from these tests.

Other tips:

1.If you trust me, dont go beyond these materials, its just a waste of time (VVVVIMP)
2.Reading speed is an illusion, dont use it to map ur RC skills.
3.Dont do tests when you are tired, they tend to demoralize you.

I had made SC and CR notes and wish i could upload them, but unfortunately left them at home, so you'll have to wait for a while.

All the best!!!...If you have any questions, please be free to fire them. I have had great experience with diff material and would be glad to help you out. I shall write my test experience soon.

Cheers!

H

Hi PGs,

I have finally got hold of my notes, thanks to my Dad. Please find them attached. I had compiled stuff from various places mainly manhattan for SC and random stuff for CR. I used other internet sources as well. Hope you guys find them of use!!!!

H

PS. If you find anything useful in my post, make sure you help someone in someway 😃 . Its good to know that people care; with no strings attached.

Hey PGs,

Cheers!

H

Success !!!
pj02 Says
Success !!!

Whats that for?..the score or the post?? 😉

Hi,

I am working in IT domain for 3.5 yrs now with a total experience of abt 4 yrs.. I plan to write my GMAT in November.

Found your post really good... Even i have started with Kaplan, Gave my first Kaplan test and scored an awful 620 . RC was worst ( 9 incorrect) followed by DS( 6 incorrect). Rest other sections i fared decently. RC has been my biggest weakness.. Any tips to improve the same??

You advised on not taking too many practise tests.. doesn't it help .. as in atleast a test a week to keep track of progress?

Would wait for more imputs from you.. coz I get deeply demotivated by such scores..

Hi,

I am working in IT domain for 3.5 yrs now with a total experience of abt 4 yrs.. I plan to write my GMAT in November.

Found your post really good... Even i have started with Kaplan, Gave my first Kaplan test and scored an awful 620 . RC was worst ( 9 incorrect) followed by DS( 6 incorrect). Rest other sections i fared decently. RC has been my biggest weakness.. Any tips to improve the same??

You advised on not taking too many practise tests.. doesn't it help .. as in atleast a test a week to keep track of progress?

Would wait for more imputs from you.. coz I get deeply demotivated by such scores..

Hey Buddy,

RC was my weakest part as well. The only way to overcome that is by practice and by building confidence. Try RCs from 1000RC or from any other book for that matter. But make sure you remain in the same difficulty level as the OG (350 word passages in upper limit in GMAT). Further, something that worked for me was, start slowly in the first para, and read carefully the first line of every following para and try to understand the gist. Once you get that you can easily address the tone, intent etc of the passage. For the first few RCs make sure you take time and grasp the flow, once you start getting that, other RCs will be easy to tackle.

Tests: The tests as I have pointed out usually have an algo thats different from the GMAT, so the score is inaccurate. One test a week is fine, but you shouldnt exhaust your GMAT Preps and you shouldnt judge urself on that score, but rather judge urself on accuracy. Kaplan is always a disappointment, you can see my scores, so its upto you to decide whether to take those tests . Use them only to get used to the 4hr format.

Hope that helps!

H

Hey.. Thanks for the info...
Since m a beginner I really don't know how to gauge my performance against these scores..

For now m concentrating on just Kaplan and OG for study materials... Plan to start princeton once m done with these.. And yes for RCs I definitely need a li'll more practice..so would go for 1000RCs.

Would really look forward to advises from you..

Thanks again..
Nids

Hey.. Thanks for the info...
Since m a beginner I really don't know how to gauge my performance against these scores..

For now m concentrating on just Kaplan and OG for study materials... Plan to start princeton once m done with these.. And yes for RCs I definitely need a li'll more practice..so would go for 1000RCs.

Would really look forward to advises from you..

Thanks again..
Nids

Hey Nids,

Dont go for Kaplan SC, it will shake ur confidence coz the concepts are different from the OG. Princeton Book is the easiest, but good for AWA.

If you need to know anything else, i wud be glad to help.

Cheers!

H

can any one here care to tell me what is GMAT test all about..is it simminal to CAT??when does one buy d form...i want 2 know all these basic questions...pls suggest a link from where i can get all this info..
i'll be very grateful..
a newbie

can any one here care to tell me what is GMAT test all about..is it simminal to CAT??when does one buy d form...i want 2 know all these basic questions...pls suggest a link from where i can get all this info..
i'll be very grateful..
a newbie

Wow..thats a nice question to ask... ;)...i think you shud look at a sample test....u'll get to know sooner... :)...its different form CAT...therz no DI..only verbal n quant...there are free tests everywher...download one and bingo...

cheers!

H

Hey Guys,

Good News!!!...i shall post the notes in max a weeks time!!

Cheers!

H

One question.

Are you taking Test again?

One question.

Are you taking Test again?

No way!!! I would rather focus the energy into writing my applications...Are u in a dilemma of some sorts or do u think I shud retake the test??

H
No way!!! I would rather focus the energy into writing my applications...Are u in a dilemma of some sorts or do u think I shud retake the test??

H

It depends where you want admission.
If your profile is good, this score will surely work.
If i were you, I will try for 750+ with one more attempt as you are already in flow.
It depends where you want admission.
If your profile is good, this score will surely work.
If i were you, I will try for 750+ with one more attempt as you are already in flow.

You might be right PJ. But if I were to do that, I will have to invest atleast a couple of weeks in it and thereby give up an application for the first round. I know that the score does not do justice to the effort I had put in, but its also true that the retake would be advantageous only if a get a 750+. I dont think that a 740 would be too different from a 720.

I have a decent profile and I am hoping to get thru one of the top 10. Rest is destiny. Lets see how things shape up. :)

Have you taken the test?
You might be right PJ. But if I were to do that, I will have to invest atleast a couple of weeks in it and thereby give up an application for the first round. I know that the score does not do justice to the effort I had put in, but its also true that the retake would be advantageous only if a get a 750+. I dont think that a 740 would be too different from a 720.

I have a decent profile and I am hoping to get thru one of the top 10. Rest is destiny. Lets see how things shape up. :)

Have you taken the test?

Thats true... first round can be missed... yeah... prepare the applications... thats good at this time...you are going good man...
My best wishes are with you :)

Yeah i have taken the test... my score is not that good. My profile is also bad so i am retaking...
Thats true... first round can be missed... yeah... prepare the applications... thats good at this time...you are going good man...
My best wishes are with you :)

Yeah i have taken the test... my score is not that good. My profile is also bad so i am retaking...

hey buddy,

i'll post my notes soon...hope u find them useful....

i knw u r a regular, but if u need any help, i will be glad to help...

H

Hey

Congrats on a great score! i've been really struggling with my prep.... unlike most people it's quant i'm worried about. Am satisfied with my verbal ability but i just can't figure out how to elevate my quant score....gmat prep quant range flits between 35 and 42!!
the darn kaplan tests i'm taking, i just end up getting 560... all because of my quant. i agree when you said that Kaplan quant is easier than actual GMAT quant....i should know because i've already taken the gmat once before with a miserable score of 590.
this will be my 2nd attempt and i'm planning to take the exam by mid october and i'm literally getting jittery because of my quant. i've done OG 11 and OG 12 till now.
Can you please help?

Ps: people seem to get scores of 49/50 with such ease...:( i'll be happy to get a 45!!!!! that too seems so out of reach..

Hey

Congrats on a great score! i've been really struggling with my prep.... unlike most people it's quant i'm worried about. Am satisfied with my verbal ability but i just can't figure out how to elevate my quant score....gmat prep quant range flits between 35 and 42!!
the darn kaplan tests i'm taking, i just end up getting 560... all because of my quant. i agree when you said that Kaplan quant is easier than actual GMAT quant....i should know because i've already taken the gmat once before with a miserable score of 590.
this will be my 2nd attempt and i'm planning to take the exam by mid october and i'm literally getting jittery because of my quant. i've done OG 11 and OG 12 till now.
Can you please help?

Ps: people seem to get scores of 49/50 with such ease...:( i'll be happy to get a 45!!!!! that too seems so out of reach..

Hey Rollerboy!! :P

First, u can get a 49-50, trust me!...and imagine the score with M50 V42....760... :)...U can achieve brilliance...dont bog urself down to 45...

How to improve Quant: I think u have ample time...make sure u go thru Kaplan 800 maths...both PS and DS...helped me a lot...

I also did basic theory from a book by Arun Sharma. The book was for CAT, so I never attempted the questions, but read thru the concepts.

To advice further, I would need to know, ur accuracy in OG and also ur background, these will help me to suggest u something better I guess...

Hope that helps

H

hi dude,

GMAT done for you, I suppose...what are you doing about the apps? I also finished my GMAT last week, now getting through the rigors of writing the essays....do you plan to take any professional help in that? what schools you are planning for?