Gmat-710(Q48:V40)

Hi Folks! :: Sincere appologies for delay in posting.Took GMAT on 30th Sept. & landed with 710 (Q=48:V= 40) It was mixed feeling as I was expecting something around 750,but its suchha great satisfaction to make it to the 700 club. …

Hi Folks!

Sincere appologies for delay in posting.Took GMAT on 30th Sept. & landed with 710 (Q=48:V= 40)

It was mixed feeling as I was expecting something around 750,but its suchha great satisfaction to make it to the 700 club.

I need to talk more to you guys .Would update soon............

As mentioned above here is the update:
Most of PG greats have consistently told the story of there great feats at GMAT .The GMAT stories of grates like Keya, Kunal, Yaga ,Amit & many others are full of the good GMAT prep strategies. Much of my story is very similar to the stories off many others who toiled hard in spite of hectic work schedules to make it to the Club 700.I take this excuse to avoid telling my GMAT story, rather I would tell you:
Wot Not to Do At GMAT?(Hope Chetan Bhagat Dosent sue me for this)
1) Don't Collect Excess of Material: There is no doubt that good study material can immensely improve your score but, there are good reasons to avoid any unnecessary material. The internet & book stores are full of plethora of material on GMAT, most of which is not worth reading. As most of us prepare for GMAT while on job, its advisable to avoid such wastage of time & energy.The general tendency is to collect a lot of material to get competitive edge. Contrary to this, the results are improved more by a well planned, organized & precise prep than by collecting tons of study material.
2) Don't take to many MOCK tests: Too many tests may cause a Burnout. On an average most of Good scorers on PG take something between 12 to 20 tests. Tests are crucial in assessing ones progress & weak points. Sometimes guys tend to collect too many tests. This is detrimental to GMAT prep as most of tests fail to give real GMAT simulation. Some of tests are very easy & others are just too tough. The main reasons for taking tests are to benchmark you prep vis-a vis other PG fellows, to find weak points & to develop comfort with Computer based testing environment. Its advisable to use only more common TEST softwares such as GMATprep(2 tests)(The best one), Powerprep(2 tests) (the second Best one) & Kaplan CD( 4 testson CD + 1 online)( Tough But very good analysis).This list Roughly makes it 9 tests. One can easily increase the number to 11 by taking GMATprep 2ice(yes do take it twice ).For rest of the tests (3 to 5 more) its good to find out tests that are also taken by some other members of the forum so that it is easy to benchmark & you don't keep wondering about where you stand.
3) Don't fret over your KAPLAN Scores: Trying to predict your GMAT score using Kaplan software is a BIG NO NO.I got 580 in my first one. It really hit me hard, but thanks to PG fellows KEYA, AHMAD,STIGMATIC,AMIT(hey! Amit is the counseling expert here) & others for they immediately came to rescue me. Again I was back on track. Kaplan tests are somewhat tough & there marking scheme is kind of skewed. It takes a mature head to handle the scores one gets. Use Kaplan only for analyzing & finding week links in your prep.
4) Don't lose your nerves: Don't get obsessed with scores. The GMAT tests not only your verbal & quant skills but also your nerves & attitude, which are crucial to be a good MANAGER. An average GMAT score doesnt mean you are out & a great GMAT score doesnt guarantee that you are in. And even if you get in a TOP B-School, what matters ultimately is how cool you are? So stay cool & calm, get organized and give it your best shot.
This is a little piece of Gyan that I though is worthy of being posted on this forum which is already brimming with GMAT wisdom. In case I come up with some other donts I will up date the post.

:grab:
Cheers
Seemant

Congrats Seemant !!!

Congratulations Seemant !!!
Happy App-ing :)

Cheers
~ icy

congrats seemath
all the best for ur apping

Congo DUDe

Azeem

congo man

where all u apping?

@ahmad - when can we expect a similar thread from you

@ahmad - when can we expect a similar thread from you

LOL, Amit.. you've made this question to Azeem a part of all your "congo" posts

Anyways Azeem bhai, whats up ? sticking to the current GMAT date kya ?

@Seemant, sorry abt hijacking your thread for our chit chat 😉
cybericy| Says
LOL, Amit.. you've made this question to Azeem a part of all your "congo" posts

i will keep pestering him till he takes the GMAT
cybericy Says
Anyways Azeem bhai, whats up ? sticking to the current GMAT date kya ?

whats that ??
|cybericy Says
@Seemant, sorry abt hijacking your thread for our chit chat ;)

me too sorry
Hi Folks!

Sincere appologies for delay in posting.Took GMAT on 30th Sept. & landed with 710 (Q=48:V= 40)

It was mixed feeling as I was expecting something around 750,but its suchha great satisfaction to make it to the 700 club.

Cheers
Seemant

hey dude..congrats .....well i have my GMAT on 9th Nov..hardly a month left..can u advise me some last month prep how to go.....i just did a mack GMAT scored a pathtic 500..plz advise

Thanks Everybody!

@amit

:) dude , the moment I saw my score the 1st pgite that came to my head were you.Guess what??? knowing that you got a similar score i am expecting some gyan from you.

@icy bahi lage raho, that so call hijacking is a good break from ,monotonus, to the point blha blha......,

@ahmad

do u really bother about amit's question????? good that u keep him speculating.

Cheers
Seemant

Hi Seemant!

Would like to know how seriously is this job of checking date of birth etc done.?
I have wrongly entered my DOB in my profile on mba.com (reversing dd and mm) and now it is not allowing me to change that ! since it is being done 48 hrs before exam... I am really nervous n dont know what to do?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

dulcetjohn Says
hey dude..congrats .....well i have my GMAT on 9th Nov..hardly a month left..can u advise me some last month prep how to go.....i just did a mack GMAT scored a pathtic 500..plz advise

Dulcet,

a good GMAT score is as much about your verbal n quant skills as much it is about a good & well planned preperation.

though the situation u r in is not very much clear by your short post I would suggest following.

>as you have very limited time(though enough) you must have very condenced &
precise material.i would reccomend.Kaplan800+OG11+OG Quant & Verbal workbooks.

>you cant take upto 8 mock tests.Kaplan CD tests-4+1 online.powerprep & GMATprep.
take power prep before you start og-11 as most of questions in there are in OG,take gmatprep at least twice.(yes each test 2 times)

>to get a better idea you can go through threads of amitn, keya & many others they are ful of wisdome.

>try to take as much leave as u can manage. a 10 or more leave would help u alot.

CAUTION--
take Kaplan tests ,at least 2 of em as early as possible & dont get bogged down by ur scores, just figure out ur week points n work on em.

dont collect too much material.

ATB

Seemant
Hi Seemant!

Would like to know how seriously is this job of checking date of birth etc done.?
I have wrongly entered my DOB in my profile on mba.com (reversing dd and mm) and now it is not allowing me to change that ! since it is being done 48 hrs before exam... I am really nervous n dont know what to do?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fubdoo,

this is exatly the same mistake that i did while regestring.luckily i correcetd it later(before i booked the appt.)
I have talked to Pearson guys about this, they told that even in case of such mistake they allow u to take the test, n get the mistake corrected from the call center.

My Advice

>Talk to Pearson call centre imediately.

>Try to visit the test center n talk to em.

> dont worry its not that big deal.

Cheers
Seemant

Thanks Seemant for the prompt reply... u hv certainly made my sleep easier !! :-)

I have already mailed APAC Pearson mailbox. Wud talk to center people 2mrw !!

Thanks again!

@amit
:) dude , the moment I saw my score the 1st pgite that came to my head were you.Guess what??? knowing that you got a similar score i am expecting some gyan from you.

what gyaan you need? i am always there
@ahmad
do u really bother about amit's question????? good that u keep him speculating.
not only me, but many are speculating about ahmad is gonna take GMAT ever or not
Hi Folks!

Cheers
Seemant

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Folks!

Cheers
Seemant

Congrats dude..
Wru apping?

Hey sreemant,

Congrats for the great score.........

Regards
Pankaj

Congrats once again Seemant,

Really nice insight on what NOT to do in GMAT.Hope it will help future GMAT-takers.

Cheers
Stigmatic

Ahh...finally 100 posts