GMAT 700... Need help.. Depressed

Hey Guys Took the GMAT on 25th August. Scored a 700… (49, 35, 4.5). Really very disappointed with my score. Was targetting somewhere between 730 and 770, and I knew I am capable of it. Guess a little over a month of not-so-serious preps did…

Hey Guys
Took the GMAT on 25th August.
Scored a 700... (49, 35, 4.5). Really very disappointed with my score. Was targetting somewhere between 730 and 770, and I knew I am capable of it. Guess a little over a month of not-so-serious preps did me! :(

Now the important question -
I am targetting institutes like NUS, NTU, Purdue for MBA.
Princeton, Vanderbilt, LSE, n a few others for Ms Finance.
I will have precisely 2 years of work ex by next year - one year in financial analytics, business research and consulting, and another year in equity research, and am also pursuing CFA from the CFA institute.

Do i have a decent score to stand some chance in these institutes, or should i take the GMAT again. (taking GMAT will make it tight as i will be taking cat also this year, and i gotta start my application process and toefl thingi in the meanwhile)

Would be good if someone will be able to advise me on this.
Thanks!

My debrief in the next post.
Ankit

My prep scores (in order of taking them) -
Powerprep1 (before startign preps) - 710
Powerprep2 - 720
GMAT Prep1 - 650
GMAT Prep2 - 730
Manhattan - 680
GMAT Prep1 (retake) - 690
GMAT Prep2 (retake) - 740
Manhattan - 730

Books followed - Princeton Review 2005, and kaplan Premier 2009.
manhattan SC, Manhattan CR (Dint pay attention while reading this one), Manhattan Geometry and algebra books.

Also did the entire sentence correction from OG11. Half of CR from OG11. Bits of RC, and quants.

i think I did not practice enough.

TIPS for GMAT takers -
Take a few tests in between to pinpoint ur weaknesses. Work on weaknesses. Iron out problems. Practice. Practice. Practice. Keep 3 months for preps.

Almost a week... and no replies yet...
nice nice...

Hi Ankit,

Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas.

I dont think you should dishearten with the 700 score, I think its pretty good. But I am sorry that I can't give much relevant information about the colleges and apping process as I haven't given my gmat yet.

But, you might ask ankitgarg20 about some of your queries. I guess he is also planning for MS finance and has the ditto score. You can post your query to him in the following thread -

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-exp-700q50v34-what-not-to-do-while-preparing-25034351

Having said that, I am not sure how much it will be helpful or how promptly he'll reply as he must be busy with this apping process.

Best of luck!

Hi ankit..

I have seen some of your replies in various threads.. they are very helpful..Thanks.

700 seem a bit harsh to you - but it is a good score.. and all depends on your essays and recos.. if you get a 740 or 760 -- it is no guarantee of a good seat. ;)... Infact you may be a bit carried away by your score... :-)... so 700 should keep you on your toes for good essays.. which im sure you would do a good job in (not standing on your toes.. but on essays)..

I have a similar plm.. i m not bad in quant.. but not good in verbal.. still no clue on how to crack the verbal :bigear:.

Wish you the very best.....

Keep us updated.

as Dopa mentioned.. you can visit that forum.. the forum's authour has similar thoughts.

Hey Guys
Took the GMAT on 25th August.
Scored a 700... (49, 35, 4.5). Really very disappointed with my score. Was targetting somewhere between 730 and 770, and I knew I am capable of it. Guess a little over a month of not-so-serious preps did me! :(

Now the important question -
I am targetting institutes like NUS, NTU, Purdue for MBA.
Princeton, Vanderbilt, LSE, n a few others for Ms Finance.
I will have precisely 2 years of work ex by next year - one year in financial analytics, business research and consulting, and another year in equity research, and am also pursuing CFA from the CFA institute.

Do i have a decent score to stand some chance in these institutes, or should i take the GMAT again. (taking GMAT will make it tight as i will be taking cat also this year, and i gotta start my application process and toefl thingi in the meanwhile)

Would be good if someone will be able to advise me on this.
Thanks!

My debrief in the next post.
Ankit

Ok Ankit,
First, I don't want to sound harsh... but BOO-Friking-HOO!! 700!!!
7-f#$king HUNDRED?

Breathe in.. Breathe out.. Calm down (me, not you)

This is not the IIM or IIT entrance exam Ankit, this is Business schools looking for potential leaders. ( yes, IIMs are B-schools, but the CAT isn't a real B-school test)

You've heard by now that the GMAT is just one of many, almost 6 factors that a good business school looks at. And you've picked all good ones.

A 700 score is excellent, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Sure, a 740 would have been better, and a 760 would have been brilliant. But a 700 is still brilliant.
Looking at your testing scores, it looks like 700 is what you were averaging. Unless you think you can pop that upto a 760, don't bother.

I got a 660 the first time I took the GMAT, and a 680 the second time. But the difference between a 660 and a 680 is much bigger that 700 and 720.

Also, look at the average intake score and the 80% range of your targetted schools. You'll see that you are doing quite ok.

What I did notice is that your Verbal score is low. So make sure that you blow them away with your Essays, and put to rest any doubts they have of your verbal skills.

Best of luck buddy,
ST

@ Dopa, Alchemist, Sharan
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Yeahh I know 700 is not the end of the road, but nevertheless, a 90 %ile is a major compromise for me! 😞
About retaking the exam, You guys are right, that there is not much use taking it unless i am sure i will land up above 750. Anyway, yeahh now its time to work on better application essays and sops. Lets see how i fare on this end.

Any clue of where i can get more assistance on SOPs, etc?

@Alchemist - Dude, if you have enough time, then do the entire OG11 verbals following this rule -
SOLVE EACH AND EVERY QUESTION, AND READ THE EXPLANATIONS GIVEN BEHIND, WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET THEM INCORRECT. EXPLANATIONS WILL HELP YOU LINE YOUR REASONING ACCORDING TO THE WAY THE GMAT THINKS, WHICH WILL HELP U FOR SURE!

I got this piece of advice only after my GMAT, but i am sure it will prove helpful!

hi Ankit

Don't be dissappointed with your score. 700 is a nice score. Along with your GMAT score of 700, you have 2 years of experience, which is enough for you to get admission in MS finance. Institutes like NUS, NTU, LSE and many others take 700 GMAT score as a eligibility criteria for the admission process.

Good Luck from
Ashish

Hi congos on great score...i have my GMAT on 17th sept...wanted to know how many quoestions u got right in verbal....and could anyone please give be rough idea on how many quoestions i should get correct to get 700...my quant is pretty good and am confident of getting atleaset 30-32 quoestions correct....thanks in advance

Hi Hyderabadi
Hey its really very difficult to tell the number of questions u need to get correct, as the WHEN you get them correct is as important, if not more important, as how many u get correct..
Plus havent you already taken a few practice tests? these help u gauge ur level of preparation and measure ur performance... typically, though u might want to get at least 31 odd questions right for a scaled verbal score of 35.. and about 33-34 questions right for a scaled score of 49-50.. this will take u very close to the range of 690-710..

Cheers!