Gmat 660. Is it OK for IIMA PGPX

Hi Guys, I took my gmat a few days back after studying for around a 3 weeks (in total around 30-40 hours) and got 660. As I have a project deadline of Jul 8th, I am working for 12 hours a day and am not able to study. Thats the reason I can’t…

Hi Guys,

I took my gmat a few days back after studying for around a 3 weeks (in total around 30-40 hours) and got 660. As I have a project deadline of Jul 8th, I am working for 12 hours a day and am not able to study. Thats the reason I can't take gmat again even though I think I can get above 700 as I screwed badly on the d-day.

My question is : Is 660 a decent score for IIMA pgpx? The site says the higher the score the better it is.

I have 7 years of work-ex (will be 8 years by the time I join). Am into IT and have 3.5 years of US work ex. Acads are good and have managerial experience. Am really looking at IIM.

Please advice.

Hi Guys,

I took my gmat a few days back after studying for around a 3 weeks (in total around 30-40 hours) and got 660. As I have a project deadline of Jul 8th, I am working for 12 hours a day and am not able to study. Thats the reason I can't take gmat again even though I think I can get above 700 as I screwed badly on the d-day.

My question is : Is 660 a decent score for IIMA pgpx? The site says the higher the score the better it is.

I have 7 years of work-ex (will be 8 years by the time I join). Am into IT and have 3.5 years of US work ex. Acads are good and have managerial experience. Am really looking at IIM.

Please advice.

Since this is the first batch for the PGPX course, no one has any idea about what scores they expect. As the website days, Higher the Better. In case, you can't take GMAT again, then just go ahead and apply. I think the deadline is around the First week of September. So, you have a lot of time even after July 8th.
All the Best.

- Ramki.

Thanks Ramki,

Till yesterday I was under the impression that the last date is June end. Only after reading your mail I realised that I can apply till september.

Thanks a ton.

BTW are you Ramki from ISB? If yes then could you please tell me is the profile okie for isb. I am keen on both pgpx and isb, thought a bit more inclined towards pgpx because of the cost. In any case I think I have a lots of time to take gmat again before the deadlines for isb. So I might try getting above 700.

Once again thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO... Dont commit harakiri mate! The last date for apping to this is still june end. Admissions are decided in september....

Hope u got that... best luck...

K

Thanks Ramki,

Till yesterday I was under the impression that the last date is June end. Only after reading your mail I realised that I can apply till september.

Thanks a ton.

BTW are you Ramki from ISB? If yes then could you please tell me is the profile okie for isb. I am keen on both pgpx and isb, thought a bit more inclined towards pgpx because of the cost. In any case I think I have a lots of time to take gmat again before the deadlines for isb. So I might try getting above 700.

Once again thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Buddy,
Sorry. The last date is June 30, but admissions are decided in September. Sorry for the confusion and thanks to "DesiGuru" for pointing that out.

I cannot comment much on your profile. The average work ex of the class of 2006 is 5 years. But the same statement "Higher the GMAT score the Better it is" holds good here also. If you have a 730+ GMAT score, then you have crossed the first stage of admission process. If you feel this is the time for an MBA then go ahead and apply. In case, you want to know something specific, then I can answer that.

- Ramki.

Thank you guys.

Just to be on a safer side, I took an appointment for June 25th for my GMAT. Then while browsing the iim site, I found that ppl located outside India can take the GMAT by Aug 10th. Still I am in no mood of taking chances and I wanna finish with the whole test taking thing.

Ramki, I would try to get above 700 and before applying for isb. Also had a conversation with Raja Banerjee (he was my college friend at REC) and he said that with my profile a 700 would be fine (still the higher the GMAT the better it is). But its so hard to study when you have been out of college for 7 years and have just been married. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your encouragements. I took GMAT again and got 720. Now I am more comfortable in applying to IIM and ISB.

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

Tarun

congrats on your score.

Considering that only 40 seats are on offer for the opening batch. The average GMAT score is likely to be high. Moreover, the application form only allows you to provide sketchy details (as the text limits are very low). I think that the call for interview shall primarily be based on GMAT score, Career progression, International Exposure and Extra Curriculars.

Hi Folks!!
I have also applied for IIM PGPX. Have you started working on the essays? I asked adcom the max. word limit. They say that they are still to define it but will possibly set it at 500 words.

Tarun.

newkid Says
Application deadline for PGPX is over. Time for essays and interview calls. Can any resourseful or enlighted person throw some light on the probable no. of calls for interview? For that matter, does any one have any ideas as to the official count of the no. of applications. As far as my idea goes, more than 2800 applicants had registered at the site for application. But the actual figure for submission must be lower. Any news on the subject is welcome.

Hi,

My application number was around 3,500. But then I had downloaded 2 applications (one was 2 months back to get a feel). SO my idea is that between 2000-2500 people might have applied..... just a guess
newkid Says
anyway, with the requirement of 7 years of work exp. and high GMAT score coupled with consistent academic record, i reckon the no. of actual applications might be in hundreds only. whtat do u reckon Pgpxguy

Still it can be around 300 for 40 seats and thats high. Also the 7 years work ex is desirable and not mandatory. What are ur stats newkid?
well my profile stands as under

GMAT - 760
Work exp. - 10 yrs +
B.com (hons.) , ICWA
some awards in swimming , chess and drama acting
job in govt. sector ( well, any guesses as to how that will be viewed by adcom)

I am also seriously thinking about Cranfied, U.K.

Thats a great profile. And job in govt. sector is better than job in IT. Infact it will be ur diversity card and 10 years is great.

And why Cranfield???? Try isb. If you want to do it abroad atleast try oxford or Richard Ivey or some good US ones. With your profile, Cranfield is underrating yourself.

Tarun
newkid Says
Thanx for boosting my morale. The point I am making here is that Cranfield is simply stated as a safe option. They have a rolling admission system and I plan to apply after pgpx is finally over ( if i dont make to it) . ISB is on the cards. Moreover, I am only looking at one yr programs. Do you have any suggestions to make about various 1 yr options

With your profile, I would go for IIM pgpx, ISB, Insead, IMD, Oxford. I would not go to Cranfield with over 4 years of work ex even for my backup. With your experience you have a very very high chance of getting into any of the above. In extreme case if you dont get into the above, you can try next year.

Tarun
newkid Says
Thanx Tarun for the insight. Any way, u have got a pvt. message from me. Also, what r ur stats and where r u based. Enjoying chatting with u, do u have yahoo messenger?

My yahoo messanger is [email protected]

My stats:

GMAT - 720
Workex - 7 total/ 3 international
IT + consulting
Based in US

Just saw my private msg. Thanks buddy and Belated Happy B'day to you .

Tarun

IIMA seem to be slow off the block related to this aspect.

Hi I am ashish Pandit
Knew first person scoring above 720.
can u usher me regarding GMAT and ur fascinating 760
The material you used and certain skills needed.

Hello,
Does anyone has update on the essay word limit?

obelixous Says
IIMA seem to be slow off the block related to this aspect.

I wrote to PGPX office regarding this. The suggestion is to use a 500 word limit for each essay.

newkid Says
emailed iima office twice. no response whatsoever. only errie silence. also iima site is not accessible for the last 2-3 days. Any one with clues, what's happening there?

Yup, Even I had the same experience with the e-mails, however, I did receive late responses as late as one to two weeks. I think they answer all mails every Monday or Tuesday or another possibility is that they are simply flooded with mails every day.

Yes, the site has been inaccessible for the past 3 days. It could be because of the recent rains/cyclonic depression (It happened around the last big rain event you know! ) or I guess they must be putting up the first list of shortlisted candidates.

-pooran