GMAT 620 (70) Q48(82) V28(47) - Please help.

Dear Puys, I need help, my score is much below my expectation. I have 6+ yrs IT exp but with this score i am sure i don’t stand a chance of Admission anywhere in India. This was my first attempt at GMAT. I plan to re-appear, but 1. Do the…

Dear Puys,

I need help, my score is much below my expectation. I have 6+ yrs IT exp but with this score i am sure i don't stand a chance of Admission anywhere in India. This was my first attempt at GMAT. I plan to re-appear, but
1. Do the number of attempts count?
2. How do I improve my verbal aptitude?
3. I mostly studied from the OG, my sentence correction is really pathetic. How can i improve upon it?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

Thx,
mave.

Check this out: http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/english-resources/61597-sentence-correction-for-cat-2011-a-182.html#post2776135

hey email to rahul at mbadream dot in , his site is www dot mbadream dot in, he himself had 590 and made it to a top bschool....he will be great help ...

one of my friend scored 620 and he got in to Lancaster , warwick ...

Well thanks but i really want to improve my score and hence give GMAT another shot.

Dont worry too much.Check out where you went wrong and put it right the next time

Dear Puys,

I need help, my score is much below my expectation. I have 6+ yrs IT exp but with this score i am sure i don't stand a chance of Admission anywhere in India. This was my first attempt at GMAT. I plan to re-appear, but
3. I mostly studied from the OG, my sentence correction is really pathetic. How can i improve upon it?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

Thx,
mave.

From the sectional score, it is clear that Verbal is your pain point. For sentence correction (SC) I suggest you have a look at the Manhattan SC book and OG: there are these language rules and if you get them right with practice, SC can actually become the highest scoring section in Verbal.

Before the exam (i.e., during your preparation), attempt and analyse as many full GMAT practice tests as you can: purchase a few tests online or ask your friends if they have any. Most of the paid tests are not prohibitively expensive and will help you identify and address your weak areas. Also, take care that you don't end up focusing on Verbal only; since your Quant is decent, try aiming for atleast a 50. With this a 50+ in Quant, the effect of a low Verbal score may be negated in the total score.

To illustrate, for a 680+ score (which, with your kind of work ex., should be fairly competitive for decent schools) you should aim for a sectional score of:
Q49 V33 Total 68010
Q50 V32 Total 68010
Q49 V34 Total 69010
Q50 V33 Total ~700

To answer your specific queries:

In most cases, no. Most schools either see the best score or in some cases the latest score. In your case, there is not much to loose so go ahead with the second attempt relaxed. :)

Practice

If there is a section in Verbal that can actually be improved, it is SC (I'll be honest, I believe the other two sections are more inherent to a candidate and can't be improved as much). For SC there are these set rules that are tested in the GMAT, get comfortable with these rules, learn to identify them, and make the necessary corrections. Once you get a hang of these rules, SC will seem more logical than verbal in nature. :)

Hope this helps and all the best for the GMAT! :cheerio: