GMAT - 1 year MBA prep

All, A brief background about me. I am a software quality engineer with about 5 years of work ex under my belt. The urge for doing a MBA has finally kicked in. All this while I was contemplating doing an exec-MBA or a satellite-MBA …

All,

A brief background about me.

I am a software quality engineer with about 5 years of work ex under my belt. The urge for doing a MBA has finally kicked in.

All this while I was contemplating doing an exec-MBA or a satellite-MBA (some intis offer them with the support of Hughes Teleservices). However, after discussions with my peers, seniors and friends have made up my mind to pursue a full-time MBA, preferably a 1 year program.

I have shortlisted the following instis for apping (hoping that GMAT score would be pretty decent 😃 ):

1. ISB, Hyderabad
2. IIM, Ahmedabad (PGPX program)
3. IIM, Calcutta (PGPEX program)
4. XLRI, Jamshedpur (1 year GMP)
5. Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
6. SP Jain Institute of Management, Mumbai

All the above instis have 1 year MBA programs and I believe to good effect. My goal is to get into Business Development at the end of the program in the IT field.

Have begun my initial hunt for GMAT material and plan to give it in late June or early July.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated. Will keep all posted with the developments.

Thanks
-Subhash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness and not in civilization!

A good start.
My profile is :
B.Tech
M.Tech
4 year work exp .
wish to do one year MBA and about to start for GMAT . It will be good is if you share you prep plan with us.
Vibhuti

Hi Vibhuti,

Your profile looks great. As I said I am targetting a GMAT in June end or July start, I have begun in the right earnest to look for the right material.

Have downloaded the GMATPrep software from mba.com. Fortunately have an office colleague who recently appeared for GMAT. He has most of the stuff.

According to him, begin with Barron's for a feel of the questions. You dont need to read through each n every page in Barron's. Then comes the exam CDs like Kaplan etc. (there are many in the market). Ofcourse the Official guide to GMAT is as important as anything else in the prep.

Good luck and keep writing.

Thanks
-Subhash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness and not in civilization!

Hi,
I have recieved call for PGDSM MIT from spjimr . Will go for further round of selection process in feb and march . In case I need to go for GMAT then will start only in april. However I wish to go for one year course .
Vibhuti

Good to know that. If you wish to pursue a one - year course in Management in India, the list I gave in my initial post is perhaps the best.

All the instis listed there need GMAT scores (preferably above 600...I am sure you can do that with your pedigree). And most demand a work-ex of 4 years and above.

I have been doing a lot of research on the one year programs on offer from these instis. They all look good. However, you can rank the programs based on your instinct and knowledge.

Just FYI, my priority list looks something like this:
1. ISB, Hyd
2. IIMA
3. IIMC
4. XLRI, Jamshedpur
5. GLIM, Chennai
6. SPJIMR, Mumbai

-ikonic

Hi Ikonic and Others:

I want to bring your attention to the fact that IIMA PGPX requires a minimum work-ex of 7 years (9 years preferably) plus preferably 3 years International Exp.

The average GMAT was 690 for the first batch.. However as the number of seats is very less (70) the competition is very tough and any1 will need to plan accordingly.. However the placements are stupendous and it should be the top choice if a person manage to get in..

IIMC can be a better choice considering that it requires only 5 years of Work-Ex. But competition here is again very tough due to small number of seats..

Hi Subodh,

Thanks for the information. I am kinda aware of this particular piece of info. However, I would like to try my luck if I get a good GMAT score.

ikonic

Greetings Everyone,

Nice to see like minded people talking abt 1 yr programs. I too am a future MBA applicant .

I wont be applying to the ones below----
1) IIMA-- as it is asking for 7 to 9 yrs exp

2) GLChennai-- I am not sure how good it is as far as placements are concerned.

I think the remaining 4 are sufficient for 5 yrs exp guys /gals . Besides they have a good brand name too.

My profile---

Education--- Mechanical Engg(Pune University)
Masters -- Manufacturing mgmt (UK)

Job-- Systems engineer (Utilities---i.e Power generation) UK

Exp- 4 yrs -- in UK

extracirriculars-- avg

Hence I am preparing for Gmat and will apply next yr for 09 batch probably

cheers,
ranjit

Hi There,

I am yet another software engineer (4 yrs work ex) looking to do a good 1 Yr MBA course, was googling for info and hit on this thread. Nice to see people with similar interests.

I have a few questions for you folks

i) Does anyone have any idea about NIS and NUS singapore and their MBA courses? Tried searching a lot but couldnt hit on relevant info like
a) deadlines for application
b) avg GMAT score etc
if any of you can provide the same that would be great.

ii) what are all the b-schools that take GMAT score only(or atleast prefer gmat) in india ?

iii) I shall about four years 8 months work ex in March 2008 what 1yr mba programs can i app to with this work ex.

cheers,
--Badri--

Hi Badri,

Why don't u search the forum for the annwers to your questions. The list, gmat score requirements are given in countless number of threads.

cheers,
ranjit

How good is the 1-year PGDM program from the SPJAIN. I always get the mixed feedback about SP Jain.