German / European MBA - Sep 2012, HHL, Mannheim, EM Lyon

Hello, I have secured admission to the following schools for the Sep 2012 intake. HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management EMLyon France and awaiting a final decision from Mannheim Business School. I have a couple of level of Germans spe…

Hello,
I have secured admission to the following schools for the Sep 2012 intake.
HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
EMLyon France
and awaiting a final decision from Mannheim Business School. I have a couple of level of Germans speaking experience, based in India and IT/SMB and Marketing Experience.
Some feedback for the cities where these schools are, in addition to the course will be useful. I look forward to hearing from members/students on this forum.

I'm a student at HHL. Joined the Sept 2012 MBA intake.

Hi GodModeONE,

Can you share your profile? I am also interested in studying an MBA but not sure whether someone whose german is not so good should pursue one in Germany....

Also I have heard lot of Mannheim...did u apply there as well?

Hi koolmrsam,

I did my mechanical engineering from SRM University, Chennai. Worked in project management in the oil and gas sector for 4 years and applied to HHL. I did not apply to Mannheim, applied only to HHL and I got it.

It is important to know German if you want to work in Germany after your MBA but you will be able to learn during the course. The college offers optional basic, intermediate and advanced level German courses through out the year so that you can improve.

Mannheim is a good school. Its close to SAP headquarters and graduates usually end up in SAP or nearby companies.
German is a must if you want to make your career there and of course the quality of life in Germany is top class.

@GodModeONE
@GodModeONE said:
I'm a student at HHL. Joined the Sept 2012 MBA intake.
HI Godmodeone,

What are the chances of getting a scholarship for MAB in germany, if you have an average profile with a good gmat score......for colleges like EBS, WHU, ESMT etc???

Are the German B Schools openin up for Management Jobs?.... I was thinking of applying to Manheim,I will have 6 yrs of experience by the time I join the course and am having 640 in GMAT.

@ranjit_klr said:
@GodModeONE HI Godmodeone,What are the chances of getting a scholarship for MAB in germany, if you have an average profile with a good gmat score......for colleges like EBS, WHU, ESMT etc???
It depends entirely on the college but at HHL where I study, you are eligible for scholarship if you get more than 650 on your GMAT. Also, some colleges (and DAAD as well) give living expense stipends for students.

@GodModeONE

Is there any procedure to get the scholarships from external agencies... DAAd for example. Please suggest.

How good is the food for people who do not eat non-veg, and what is the average pay for Indians there? (Approximate value)
I already am with SAP, India, and am considering applying to HHL.
I am having concerns before applying as I have heard that people who are vegetarians find it really difficult to survive, plus, Indians do not find a job easily.
Can someone shed some light on these aspects?

@Gunner711

Have a look at the discussion on this link. I hope you would get some answers here.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/whu-mba-germany-2013-intake-25085044/3600713

@naman.tuteja , yeah, the discussion there was pretty informative.
However, I failed to find answers to both questions I have posted above. You know anyone who might help me with these?

@Gunner711 I can talk only about the job as of now....i have a few friends in Germany who have passed out in 2011 and have 1-2 jobs in 1 year itself....the only issue why Indians do not find a job is because of the language.....I always get the suggestion that if u have some command over German before going there...job market is not at all bad...

The average pay depends on the B-School itself...For e.g. Mannheim and WHU are the best in Germany, HHL comes after them...then we have GISMA etc....but from whatever I have read...the average package is around 70-80K euros/annum...

Regarding food, I would not be the right person to answer this query...maybe u can try googling...better would be search in the area where u are planning to go...

Hmm, 70-80k euros/ annum, minus the 30-40 % tax. I guess you end up with around 50k euros in the beginning. Which, I do not think is a very bad deal.
However, the major concern still remains food.
From what I have read online, it is a pain!
So, wanted to know from someone who is there, if the legend is true, and is it actually impossible kinds of survive there for people like me. If it is so difficult, I would rather choose US is the point.

Anyway, thanks @naman.tuteja

@Gunner711 If you're not very picky, food isn't a problem. There are loads of Indian restaurants around and there's a weekly Asian market for Indian and Thai spices which is quite good. There are a few vegetarian Indians in class and they survive. Its great if you know cooking yourself; it works out way cheaper.

There's no such thing as 'Indians do not find jobs.' If you can speak German, there's no problem. And HHL offers basic, intermediate and business level German classes which will train you to speak decent German within a year. Salaries, as mentioned above, anywhere between 60 to 80k euros before taxes.
@naman.tuteja Go to the local DAAD office (usually at Goethe Institut) and enquire there about scholarships. British Council also offers a scholarship via the IELTS exam.

Hmm, good to hear that!
So, with a 740 GMAT, and 9.04/ 10 GPA, combined with a 18 month work ex at SAP, what would you say my chances are, and what kind of scholarships am I looking at?

Also, do I need to send my "official transcripts" at the time of admission, or can that be taken care of post an admit? I mean, can I just upload a scanned copy while applying?

@Gunner711 Oh 740 GMAT score plus 9.04 GPA is great. Only, I think HHL asks for minimum 24 months of work experience. If you're applying for next year and you're still working, you should continue until you get 24 months of work experience (at a minimum).

Yeah, I will be working till I join the college, so I will have 24 months of work ex.
Can you rate me now?