Georgia Tech MBA - Students Taking Questions

US News & World Report #22Top MBA Programs #7Among Public Universities #14Production/Operations Management MBA #14Supply Chain/Logistics Business Week #29Top 30 US MBA Programs #10Among Public Universities #23Return On Investment Worldwide

US News & World Report #22Top MBA Programs #7Among Public Universities #14Production/Operations Management MBA #14Supply Chain/Logistics

Business Week #29Top 30 US MBA Programs #10Among Public Universities #23Return On Investment Worldwide

US News & World Report #22Top MBA Programs #7Among Public Universities #14Production/Operations Management MBA #14Supply Chain/Logistics

Business Week #29Top 30 US MBA Programs #10Among Public Universities #23Return On Investment Worldwide

Hi Abhinav.

Thanks for your efforts. few qns.
1. How feasible is it to get the full tuition waiver/fellowship/RA/TA/in-state tution ?
2. How is the program in terms of general management and strategy ?
3. I believe Georgia tech is rolling admissions. What would be a good time to apply ?
4. How is the job scene for internationals (Non - Permanant residents) ?

Thanks,
tank_I

1. high probability to get a GRA/GTA (complete tuition waiver and stipend) depends on a) admission interview b) gmat score c) work exp. Also, many opportunities to get a GRA/GTA after joining the program. I know at least 4 people (out of 75) who have got one after joining
2. Great faculty for strategy and general mgmt, core courses taught by well renowned faculty, opportunity to choose a directed course of study
3. Apply as early as possible, also in-person interview is a big plus. If you have the means to fly to atlanta for a campus visit and interview - please do it - it will increase your chances of getting a GRA posn too
4. Top class Career services, staff with many years of industry experience (also recruitment exp) in organizations like ibm, at & t. Very supportive staff. The career services workshop grooms you all round for interviews, working the career fairs and other essential job seeking skills. Being in the downtown Atlanta area - proximity to top companies based in Atlanta. Career services staff has great relationships with industry recruiters. Georgia Tech has it's own career fair where companies come and set up booths esp to hire GA Tech grads.

From BW profile of the school, i found that percentage of jobs after placement in consulting is 33%. Quite impressive. I am looking at consulting post-mba . What do you say about the strength of the school in consulting ?

Hi Abhinav,

Appreciate ur initiative,,, I am planning to apply to Georgia Tech for 2010 fall....Few questions,,,

1. Is toefl considered a criterion for selection or granting scholarship? As i gt just 100 in tofl... do i need to retake it so as to improve my selection chances?
2. How is the MBA in IT from Georgia Tech? Is it always preferred to have a technical background for an MBA in IT?

Regards
Ashutosh

Strength of the school in Consulting -
Career services staff has great relationships with university recruiters in Deloitte, Booz Allen Hamilton, Capgemini, BCG and BAIN. Many GA Tech alumni come to the campus for recruitment from these top 5. Accenture, Infosys Consulting,KPMG are the others that come to campus. Recently many students interviewed with deloitte for a full time. Most of them were hiring in the GA Tech career fair too. Consulting club is very active and a lot of case practices (essential for consulting interviews) are done between the club members. Guest Speakers from BCG, Deloitte and Infosys Consulting have come over to give their insights into their interviewing processes and for case practices - Sessions held by David Ohrwall (Crack The Case) to crack cases - very useful

Ashu -
1. just clear the minimum cutoff - that's enough. Selection chances can be improvised in gmat, adm essays, adm intvw, ext curr, community exp
2. MBA in IT is one of the best in the country. GA Tech brand is known for high technology and most of the recruiters know GA Tech for strong technology focus. Engineering undergrad preferred, but tech work exp is not that necessary. If you can justify in your essays and interview what you want to be focussed in during your MBA, then you should be good to go.

Hi Abhinav,
I am applying to the university for fall 10. Since I have some time in hand, not much though....I had a quick question.

My profile is GMAT 680(49/34/4.5) Toefl:results awaited, WE: 5+years(mostly in IT-finance),EC: good.
Need a suggestion from you...about is the profile good enough to clear the respective cutoffs for getting into the school. Please be blatant in your comments.

Also I intend to go for the IT sector leadership positions post MBA. Any suggestions about the course concentrations that I should be intentionally targeting in my app?

appreciate your help.

yes definitely - profile is good enough - but essays and interview most imp
my profile was - gmat 690, 4.5 yrs work ex in it finance too out of which 2.5 yrs in usa EC : good
it management concentration -tech has a course IT practicum (working with an IT company in the atlanta area) where you complete a live project and then there is one for technology ventures too - you can check the list of electives from the website - Georgia Tech - College of Management

my profile was - gmat 690, 4.5 yrs work ex in it finance too out of which 2.5 yrs in usa EC : good
it management concentration -tech has a course IT practicum (working with an IT company in the atlanta area) where you complete a live project and then there is one for technology ventures too - you can check the list of electives from the website - Georgia Tech - College of Management

Thanks Abhinav. I think I just made up my mind to app .

@Abhinav: Thanks for the reply...

Hi Abhinav,
I am planning to apply to GaTech.

Will my chances of financial aid be hurt if i apply by mid-Nov?

Thanks!

Hi Abhinav,
I am planning to apply to GaTech. My profile is
GMAT 700, TOEFL 110, 4yr work ex in embedded system startup, Community service - decent, Extra curr - good.

I had to retake my GMAT since my first attempt score was under par. Now, I am planning to apply to Gatech. My CEO is busy and is not able to write recommendation letter in the next 2-3weeks as he is traveling to Europe. Since GaTech requires 3 recos, i am finding it difficult to apply early. Also, my CEO was my supervisor for 1.5yrs, and i want to take his reco.

Will my chances of getting financial aid be hurt if i apply by mid-Nov?
What are the chances of me making it in the first place? :)

Thanks!

Dood, not sure I get the question correctly but the 1st deadline is Jan 15,,,,so I guess that Mid Nov is kinda early.....isn't it?

mid - nov is absolutely fine. my suggestion is take all the time that you need (before the deadline) to strengthen your app

Hi,
I have'nt yet taken my GMAT. I'am a s/w engineer with over 4 yrs work ex in Telecom and Finance domain. I wanted to which are best univs apart from GA Tech for IT consulting. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Abinav or anybody else having an idea about B schools in US which are good for people trying to get into IT Consulting

I see this in application:

**Certification of the availability of these funds must be mailed to Georgia Tech (see mailing instructions); acceptable items include: bank statement showing current balance; copy of government contract/scholarship; or letter from sponsor certifying support. Most programs will not process an admission offer until these documents are received.

Do i need to provide my financial details when i apply itself? Most schools ask for this only after securing admission and before I-20 is issued. Is this the case for Gatech or do i need to provide financial details when i apply?? Can anybody confirm?

Official Attested documents are not needed at the time of applying, but on the Office of International Education (OIE) website you can take a printout of the financial disclosure form and fill it in and send with your app package with your signature. Basically a sheet of paper declaring how you are going to support yourself and a note that you will be able to show proof of these funds in your accounts if you secure an admission. The yearly costs are posted on the gatech mba website too.

Thanks Abhinav for posting valuable insights.
My Q's : how important is international exposure for your application. I've 4 yrs(by the time of joining) in IT(Telecom domain) but no international exposure so far. Though I got few opportunitities in the past but the adverse conditions prevailed over them.
Please suggest.
Ashish