GD-PI experiences at SJMSOM, IIT B 2011

Hi friends, SJMSOM, IIT B GD-PI process starts from 25th March 2011. All the best to all the puys… Please share your GD-PI experience and about overall admission process @ SOM. Hope you have a good time at the GD-PI process a…

Hi friends,

SJMSOM, IIT B GD-PI process starts from 25th March 2011.

All the best to all the puys...

Please share your GD-PI experience and about overall admission process @ SOM.

Hope you have a good time at the GD-PI process at SJMSOM, 2011.

I am don with my gd/pi today

I am very much disappointed with it, is all they asked about is my eng stream
inspite of my almost 5 year of work ex

I doubt whther it is the corrrect method to judge a candidate applying for management program, after coming out I thought I had given an Mtech interview

all in all I had diff expectations from sjmsom, but all gone in vain, same typical iit engg stuff,I wonder how can it gaurantee that i am suited for managemnt or not

guys........any more experiences ?

I had my GD/PI at SJMSOM today in the morning slot.

About the process, it started with ppt and video and about the college and life@som.
Details about the placements were discussed and individual queries could be clarified.

We were given a profile sheet to fill, which i will discuss later.

This was followed by a case based GD. It was about a person who is good as individual contributor but does not perform well in a team and few questions based on that. Our group discussion was good, we had fewer participants. Suggestion dont make it fish market,let everyone get a chance to speak.

After the GD, refreshments were arranged by the adcom team, i must say a very good step as u feel re-energised after this.

This was followed by the profile sheet verification. Whatever you write in the profile sheet has to be supplemented by orignals and a copy of the same , even the extra curriculars part. So be very careful about what you write in the form.
After your verification is done, you will be called for Interview.

Questions that were asked to me revolved about by Work-ex and few of them about current affairs. Not a single technical question was asked. I think it depends from panel to panel. But the panel was very chilled out so it should be a good interaction rather than questions being fired to you.

I hope this gives you a overview of the entire process and best of luck to all of them.

The entire process was well organized by the SOM students, they are really very helpful and try and make you feel relaxed during the entire process. Good job guys.

I had my GD/PI at SJMSOM today in the morning slot.

About the process, it started with ppt and video and about the college and life@som.
Details about the placements were discussed and individual queries could be clarified.

We were given a profile sheet to fill, which i will discuss later.

This was followed by a case based GD. It was about a person who is good as individual contributor but does not perform well in a team and few questions based on that. Our group discussion was good, we had fewer participants. Suggestion dont make it fish market,let everyone get a chance to speak.

After the GD, refreshments were arranged by the adcom team, i must say a very good step as u feel re-energised after this.

This was followed by the profile sheet verification. Whatever you write in the profile sheet has to be supplemented by orignals and a copy of the same , even the extra curriculars part. So be very careful about what you write in the form.
After your verification is done, you will be called for Interview.

Questions that were asked to me revolved about by Work-ex and few of them about current affairs. Not a single technical question was asked. I think it depends from panel to panel. But the panel was very chilled out so it should be a good interaction rather than questions being fired to you.

I hope this gives you a overview of the entire process and best of luck to all of them.

The entire process was well organized by the SOM students, they are really very helpful and try and make you feel relaxed during the entire process. Good job guys.

Are they very strict about the reporting time?
prash9 Says
Are they very strict about the reporting time?

Yes the registration starts on time. so better be there before the time given for your batch.

do we require to take CV for the gdpi process??

Just came back from ze airy-porty...

Ok so on with today's experience:

Slot: 25 March 2:00 PM

I reported to the IITB campus at 1:45 and the guards showed me the route to SJMSOM building.

Firstly all candidates are assembled in an auditorium. Then in groups of 5-10 they are given their group numbers.

Each group has 14 members, there were 7 groups A,B,...G

Everybody then sits according to group and number within group.
The GD is case based, our case for today was about a person who adopted a new business idea in the music cassette industry. Because of his low prices and good relations with the upcoming musicians and sales people, he manages to gain a large market share. His rivals, who were ripping customers off with exorbitantly priced stuff hold a meeting with him and ask him to stop doing what he does, as it is affecting their business. 2 questions to be answered at the end:
1) If you were him, what would you do
2) What is the way forward

5 minutes to think on the case (case is a full page of content btw) and 15 minutes to discuss. As there are 14 people in a GD it gets really noisy. Our GD was interrupted by the panel. Our summary was also prematurely interrupted as we were too noisy there as well

Following the GD we return to the auditorium to fill in a profile sheet that contains our grad marks (semester-wise and overall) along with extracurrics and workex details. Any extracurrics mentioned in the sheet need to have a supporting certificate. The documents are verified by the student coordinators and their xeroxes are collected.

PI: Same panel that took our GD. Apparently, the "chillest" panel for the day: 1 lady prof, 2 senior male profs, one of them is a foreigner, he is quite excellent in Operations, as the students told me.

Questions:
1) So you are a mech engg, what project did you do in your final year?
A: 3-axis cartesian coordinate robot

2) Ok name its applications in industry?
A: Spray painting, assembly lines, dangerous material handling etc

3) Ok so name a major car manufacturing plant outside Bangalore (I used to work there)
A: Did not know. Through hints (most popular SUV?) I guessed Toyota Fortuner and was right. What a fluke...

4) (foreign prof): Question about what I did in job, role in company and overall function of software I was working on.

5) (foreign prof) What specialization will you take if you come to SJMSOM?
A: Systems

6) Asked why IT when everyone is running away from there?
A: like the work, want to get to client side etc etc

PI done. Maybe 12-15 minutes, the panel is very helpful and supportive. If there is an opposite of a stress interview then this is it.

Post PI we are supposed to fill in a small feedback form on a laptop and then we're free.

The student-run process gives a good "feel" of the college, coordinators know about the panel members and inform us beforehand. Very enjoyable process.

And with that my season comes to an end!

Pass that :drinking:
Edit: No we do not need the CV, just take the documents mentioned in the list along with attested copies.

Last Edit:
VERDICT: REJECTED (which does not bother me now, thankfully)

Name- Alok Kumar
Reg- 105621
Category- OBC
JMET Rank- 2400

Caution:- Every thing based on my perspective.

GD:-
A case study about Mukesh who is not a social person. He is good at what he does individually and has an evaluation rating of 96%. Now he is being asked by the company to work in a team. He is of the view that its against the contract so he should not be forced to work in a team.
One great guy spoke half of the time. Did not want to interrupt as he was talking sense only, but he should have given chance to others. I made 3 points- about organization's policies should not be changed for an individual and Mukesh should be encouraged to work in team. And about how can we encourage him and blah blah. 3 guys were blabbering just anything. They were preparing their points and not listening to others. once done with their preparation, they were starting to interrupt others. 2 people could not speak much. The panel gave them chance to speak in the end. After the GD, I asked them if they could not get the chance to speak, but they said, they don't speak much(ok aapki marjee). Others were good.

PI:-
P3-Why do you want to do an MBA?
Me- Sir my aim is to start my own business within 5-6 years. But before that I want to have more exposure, knowledge and skill sets. Sjsom attracts the best of minds. So it would be a great learning experience for me.
P3- But Dhirubhai did well without an MBA?
Me- Sir there are n ways to the same thing. I have to think from my perceptive as to how can I improve on my skills.
P2- Oh so you have done mechanical from Manipal. I have heard that mechanical is vey good at Manipal?
Me- Sir its like a cliche. In every old college mechanical comes to be known as the best branch because it has the most experienced faculty and infra.( being too smart??)
P2-What is your favorite subject in Mechanical engineering?
Me- basics of thermodynamics
P2- and?
Me- Sir Engineering mechanics
P2- and? (bachao)
Me- Engineering economics and financial management minus accounting.
P2- What is NPV.
Me- Sir net present value
P2- what is break even?
Me- told
P2- Draw the graph.
Me- Drawn a wrong graph( how how how???)
P2- So you want to do business and you are confused in the graph of break even?
Me- Told about break even.
P2- You would have studied automobile engineering?
Me- Sir it was in thermodynamics, but as a subject it was an optional. I took financial management instead.(Diverted the attention somehow from automobile)
P3- Break mechanical engg. into parts like we have finance, marketing etc in MBA.
Me- told but blabbered a bit.
P3- Tell us about yourself.
Me- told
P2- You left TCS for MBA?
Me- Yes sir
P2- So how many IIM calls did you get?
Me- Sir 2
P2- Cat score?
Me- Sir 99.64, but did not have good acads so got only Calcutta and Ranchi.
P2- But you are from OBC, so you should have got Lucknow, Trichy etc.
Me- are yaar!!! Ghar wale, friends, sab yahi poochhte hain. confused hoo sarkar. kahi certificate dala hai, kahi nai dala hai. (daru pine ke bad ke bad to ye favorite topic hai public ka. mujhe bewakuf ghosit karo aur maje lo)
P3- So You are from Sasaram(Bihar). What are the main problems in Sasaram?
Me- Sir lack of development, infra, education, and caste problems.
P3- How would you solve caste problem?
Me- Sir Caste is a differentiator. So We will have to minimize the differences as in terms of economics, education etc. What happened after Lalu raj is that every caste wanted development. So it was a kind of similarity in the desire. Nitish Kumar shifted the focus to development from caste taking the benefit of this situation.
P3- So you are saying that making every body poor would eradicate caste system?
Me- No Sir.
P1- So making every body richer would eradicate it? (bap re)
Me- Sir its a different thing to make every body richer or poor but the point I am making is that you are from caste A and you see people from caste B, you see a difference in terms of development, education etc. But when people from A and B do not have much of a difference the caste becomes just for a namesake. After 2-3 generation it would cease to exist, because there is not much of a difference.
P1- Tell us about your work in TCS?
Me- told(no one is listening)
P3- What did you do for the society?
Me- Told about my NGO.
P2- Ok tell us about your work in TCS? (bahoo hooo)
Me- Again told.
P2- You have not written your rank in college. What was you rank?
Me- Sir cannot tell exactly. Must be around 13-14 in a batch of 45.
P1- Tell me about the recent problems faced by Japan.
Me- Told. Blabbered a bit. Did not read the news properly.
P2- What is the literacy rate in Sasaram?
Me- Sir 48%. (Hoping that they don't know it )
P2- For India?
Me- Sir don't have the exact figures, but it should be around 73%.
P1- For UP?
Me- Sir it should be a little lesser, around 68%.
P2- What does your father do?
Me- Sir he is a retired engineer and now running a school for poor.
P2- Why did he become an engineer? ( are ye kya majak hai )
Me- blah blah.
P1- Ok we are done.
Me- thanku thanku thanku.

Was the first person in the group so PI went for around 30 mins.
Finally I must admit that teachers were very knowledge, humble and supportive. RESPECT!!!

PS- Please forgive me for grammatical mistakes as I am not good at it.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!

GD-PI Date: 26-03-2011
Slot: 2.00PM
Venue: SJMSOM, IITB
Engg Branch: CSE
Work Ex. : 30 months, IT

I shall be a little descriptive here to give the best overview of the process. I entered the SOM Auditorium at 1.50 and the student body was addressing the candidates. So plz reach 20 mins before ur scheduled slot.

So, the first step is to get urself registered. You need to provide ur jmet reg no to get a tag having ur panel no. There are 7 panels A thru G and each panel has a max of 14 candidates (depends on how many turn up).

Next, GD. All the 7 panels have thr GDs almost simultaneously. We have a case based GD generally related to a HR scenario. For us it was about a founder of a company who felt detached from its employees n experienced fall in performance with the increase in size of the co in terms of emp strength. The case was followed by 3 Qs which were to be discussed. My group had 10 ppl. We had a decent discussion, no shouting n all, but we were interrupted by the panelists n offered chance to 2 guys who cud not enter before. It lasted for only 12-15 mins. Probably we did not come up wid expected points. Thr was repeatition of ideas too. :lookround:

Word of Advice:-- The panel that monitors ur GD will take ur PI too. So, make sure what you talk abt in the GD. No crap!

Then, document verification done by the AdCom members. You need to arrange ur docs in d following order. giving it here so that u can avoid playing with ur folder at the last moment.
-Category certi
-10th marksheet
-12th marksheet
-grad marksheets
-degree certi
-jmet scorecard
-work ex docs

A profile sheet is to be filled before the PI. It requires u to enter sem-wise engg percentage/GPI. Insti, University, 6 extracurric achievements (They r very strict on this! they do not accept it as national event unless it's explicitely mentioned on the certi.. had hard time filling it), work ex details. Profile sheet and documents are verified n u r ready for the interview!

PI:

There were 3 panelist. One fin prof n other two alums.

P: So, another TCS guy looking for mba? (all smile, me too :))
Me: yes, sir.
P: Is thr something wrong with thr HR policy that all are leaving tcs?
Me: No sir, i think its because of personal preference to choose a career path.
P: why do u want to leave the job n change ur profile?
Me: sir, mba will be inline with my career... blah blah
P: but why mba, y not PMP or something else?
Me: told
P: you talked abt the opportunity tcs employees get to interact with the ceo in the GD ... did YOU talk to him?
Me: Yes, told.. exaggerated !
P: asked abt a paper presented on cryptography
Me: answered
P: (flipping pages of my file) u did ur schooling from diff places, y so?
P: asked whats famous abt the place from whr i did my engg.
Me: answered
Me: Out of turn, took permision n tried to highlight the events i had organized but cud not put them in the profile sheet.
P: what is GDP
Me: partly answered
P: which are the top ranked countries in terms of gdp
Me: wasnt sure. told US only. did not try to fluke
P: tell us something abt the union budget 2011.
P: a few related questions
All Ps: thats all, u may leave. good luck!
Me: thanked, collected my file, thanked again n left.

Was made to give feedback abt the process. With all the helpful seniors around, it seemed so smooth n stress free. u actually dont get time to get tensed n nervous. for me it was all over by 5pm.
All in all a great experience!

Verdict: Awaited. Fingers crossed :cheerio:

Date: 26/03/2011
Slot : 07.30 AM
JMET Rank : 5

Work Exp: 0 Fresher
Dept : Electrical
Panel : Prof. Arti D. Kalro (L)
Srikant (alumni) A1
Alumni A2

The process started at 07.30 am. Seniors were very helpful throughout the process.Hats off to the Ad com committee. Initially document verification was done and a presentation on life at SJMSOM was given and a short life on life @SOM. It was followed by a Central Bank of India ppt on Edu loan.

GD was a case study with 14 members.Same panel for both GD and PI.

Case was Priyanka was a head of special review operations committee.She has a group of members from all dep. The group is not getting along with ppl creating problems.How will she deal with this? Who is responsible for the formation of the committee.?

Here goes my PI experience

L: Tell me abt yourself?
S: Funda
L: Hobbies?
S: Watching Sports, Newspaper
L: Which newspaper? Editor?
S: TOI/Jaideep Bose
L: Articles in TOI?
S : Juggle Bandi/Bachi Karkaria
A2: Why there is 110V supply in some countries and 230V supply in other
countries?
S: Told
A2: Why not MBA after work Ex?
A1 : Member of Parliament of Nagpur?
S : Vilas Muttemwar
A1 : Policitian of National fame from Nagpur?
S : Nitin Gadkari
A2: Which branch of Management u wanna pursue?
S Told like Maths so probably finance
A2: 29*19=
S : Told
A1: Should India go ahead with Nuclear plan?
S : Told
A1: Will you agree if Govt wants to build a nuclear plant near ur home?
S: Told A1 seemed satisfied
L: What do you see yourself in future?
S: Messed it up
L: Irrespective of whether u convert or not just think about why MBA
S: Yes mam
L: Books/Novels you read?
L: Do you read business magazine?
S: No
She comments you are quite honest about it.Good
L : What other calls?
S: XLRI HRM, IIT D, IIFT
L: Priority order?
Then A2 told one last question
A2: You are flying in a hot air balloon in middle of two islands and u drop one wooden cube and an iron cube of 1 kg which will drop first?
S : Both at the same time. But depends on wind pressure.
All smiles around
Everyone seemed happy. Yours truly said thank You to everyone and left

Overall a very chilled panel.You have all d time in the world to answer. Makes u feel comfortable.
The overall process was amazing Just loved SJMSOM.Hope I convert it and be back to the same
campus

Verdict: Converted

the accommodation was unarguably the best that i have experienced till date. one doesn't feel as if he is in mumbai .. the view of the lakes from the newly built hostels is truly a sight to cherish :thumbsup:

now coming to the process , the day started of with a presentation followed by document verification . Group discussion was rather a case study . we had to analyze the cause of the problems and an eventual way out for the head of a review committee . we had a healthy discussion . overall time allotted was close to 15 mins.

coming to the PI it was a mixed bag for me .. the panel had 3 gentlemen (same as that in the GD) i was grilled on my favourite subject . still i couldn't answer most of them cause they were highly detailed ones the HR based questions went good for me (barring a question where i was asked about the number of constituencies in my home state which i didn't remember) . the interview lasted for about 15 minutes .

hoping to sneak into the wait-lists .. ATB to everyone

AIR 339
27March 2011,2pm,SJMSOM IITB.
Good management by the seniors. One observation- all of the seniors were extremely polite and kept talking to us in order to ensure we were comfortable with the process.
Started with a presentation by Divya (i conclude that's Divya Barange ) and another guy.Great presentation. That was followed by a Central Bank education loan presentation.
Followed by registration,snacks and then case study
Case Study:
About GOI introducing tobacco adv bans and how ITC supports that. Questions- should GOI take ethical or commercial decision( loss of 8000 lakh rs to exchequer),Is the GOI's interference in private lives justified.
A lady amongst us started with a decent introduction,followed by scarface .We put in some good points. At times some of us were beating around the bush( read-'its more of an awareness than the ban'..blah blah...awareness was the word of the day,with its occurrence in our discussion being more than 10 times ).
A stout guy in bright green/blue shirt and unkempt hair was trying to be the moderator and the best speaker (Arnab wannabe),uttering tangential crap all the time. RIP dude 😞 We went into 'fish market mode' at some points in time,but thankfully no aggression(besides the Arnab wannabe).
I think our discussion went good.

PI:
Since i had an early flight to catch my process was expedited by the superb seniors(thanks :))
Panel M1,L1,M2,S(scarface)
M1,M2 were industry guys,L1 was HOD ,SJMSOM
Note: not in the exact sequence as the actual interview.

M1:So tell us what we need to know
S::cheerio:blah blah,blah blah
M2: so you are from comps background
S: oui
M1: so what was your fav subject?
S: maths
M1:i am talking about comps,scarface,
S: oh ok.. ()...aam..hmm..i would say programming
M1:bubble sort
S: (wow i remember something)blah blah
M1:why the name 'bubble'
S: (:cheerio:) blah blah
M2:what do you think congress should do in order to curb corruption,specifically the influx of 'outsiders' in mumbai..
S:gyan
in the meanwhile L1 ripped apart my file,pulling out certifs and a research paper i had published.(S-"no issues ma'am as long as i get a good score in PI")
M1:where did you do your schooling in mumbai
S:blah
M1: oh,i am from the same place,dont tell me you are from my school
S: 😃 which is?? :lookround:
M1: lets not get into that :)
(all the while L1 was looking at me and nodding in acknowledgment,i take that as a positive sign)
M1:tell me about fukushima and what went wrong
S: gyan
M1: no what is the recent development,what is exactly wrong??
S: to be frank no idea
M1,L1: no prob
M1,L1: so you working with XYZ,you know XYZ comes to SOM?
S: yep
M1: what's your job like
(some discussion about that)
M1:fin/mark/sys??
S: combi of fin+sys
M1: recent development in computer industry
S:blah blah
M1: what went wrong with Satyam
S: blah blah
M1: why? raju owns both satyam and maytas,whats wrong with money transfer
S: shareholders blah blah
M1: Auditors??
M1: role of auditors??
M1 to L1: was it kpmg or pwc
S: oh sorry,yes that was pricewaterhousecoopers
M1: what is finance
S: gyan..
M1: how different from accounting
S: gyan

I dont recollect anything else.
PS: many of my btech seniors,juniors are in the current som batch,every senior i met told me that.
fingers crossed...

A very good interview as compared to JBIMS 2010,IITD 2011,SIBM 2011,NM 2011.Almost as chilled as NM 2009.

Observation : I have always got screwed by college professors. They seemed too hung up with whats written in the book or newspaper. Whenever i was interviewed by an industry guy (NM 2009,IITD 2011) or some HOD(SIBM 2011),it has been a superb discussion.

Verdict: awaited.

Had my IITB GT/PI today :

Acads :
Xth - 86%,
XIIth - 72%,
B.E.(Electronics) - Dr. D.Y. Patil's Ramrao Adik Institute of
Technology,
MUMBAI UNIVERSITY.

Date : 28th March, 2011,
Slot : 2 pm, SJMSOM,

GT Topic : "Can ethics and success go hand-in-hand.."
3 examples were given, that of
1). Lalit Modi(IPL Scam),
2). Some Cisco CEO's tactics(ethical 1),
3).Bill Gates lie towards the end of his term.

For the first time ever in my life, I started the GT.. And gave valid points in between.. Our group had the least candidates.. 8/14(6 absent).. So, In all twas a healthy discussion..!!
Overall, GT was quite gud for me..

PI : A complete SHOCKER for me..
I was 2nd last in my group(13/14).. & All the ppl in my group were havin chilled out PI's..
But, when my turn came, they took a stress interview for me.. I wasn't allowed to answer ny questions fully.. Whenever I tried to answer a question properly, they wud fire the nxt question.. Questions from Maths, B.E. Syllabus, to current affairs.. Also, they were kinda trying to "CONFUSE" me a lotttttt.. LIKE 1 typical example I'll give..

They asked me the current ranking of Saina Nehwal(as I had mentioned Badminton in my extra-currics).. I said 5.. Ma'am said its 37.. (which can't be).. Then, Sir 1 said its not 5, but less than 5.. I said 6,7.. Then, Sir 2 said that "Sir is telling u its less than 5", how can 6,7 be less than 5.. Then, I changed my answer to 4.. But, later I again thought that in rankings, 4 will be higher than 5 & NOT LESS.. so, I said 6..et al.. blah blah blah
Overall, PI was a complete disaster for me.. lets c what happens..!!!!

P.S. : Later found out that Saina Nehwal's latest World-Ranking is 3 after her win in the Swiss Open 2 days ago..!!!!!!!!! heheheh

Verdict : Awaited..

Hey Seniors,
One quick question , I have lost my JMET original scorecard after the Interview process, I think I left it at the centre itself. Will I b needing it again ? and if you do find it could you please let me know.

You need JMET score card during admissions.Please apply for new score card.
We did not find any score card left behind.

Well guys here goes my first post till date.......a decent thread to start posting on pg. Would like to share my experiences at SJMSOM. Hope it is helpful for next year aspirants.

GD/PI Date: 27-Mar-2011
Slot: 07:30 AM (But was the last one to get interviewed and was over by 2:00 PM only)
Venue: SJMSOM
Engg. Branch: Mechanical
Work Exp: 19 months, ISRO

The whole process was well managed by seniors. The process started with GD where we had a case-let on HR. It was about an electric appliance company which has decreased sales, decreased profits, increased costs. The president of company calls for a group meeting of V.P's and informs them on non-performance of employees. He advises them to go for phone tapping of their employees as and when necessary. If necessary asks them to fire employees to cut costs. A young lady, MBA grad, complains of the process and asks the president to involve the employees in the decision making process.

The case was followed by 3 Qns. Time for discussion 15 mins. with 5 mins to think.

PI:

There were three panelist. Before going for interview, heard that they are mostly focussing on technical part. But for me, no such scare as such. Major part of my interview was on work experience.

Q1) Tell me about yourself?
Q2) Reasons for failure of ISRO recent launches?
Q3) India is a poor country!!!!!!!!:lookround: Does India need to invest in space research?
Q4) Tell me about your other interests?

The whole interview lasted for about 30 minutes.

Was made to give feedback abt the process. u actually dont get time to get tensed n nervous.

All in all a nice experience!

How do I apply for another scorecard?

Hi although its been late,but a short post,
as i have promised am posting,
Gd was good with 11/14 present wasn't a fish market at all ,
PI was also quite chilled out.
had a great experience talking to one of the panel members(foreigner) although the other panelists had to explain me attimes what the foreigne rwas asking :lookround:.
went more like a HR kinda interview and some Academics question as i had less work ex.
And the best part the seniors were very helpful, ready to come to you and ask if you have any problem and would even share with yu some experience if u hesitate.
seniors rock !!!
waiting to join u guys........