Gandhism , A panacea.

HI guys, Its a long time since we had talked about Gandhism. Gandhism has a solution for everything(if I can use this word). So lets discuss on problems which are being faced by our society today,and try to discuss on solutions for these, based …

HI guys,
Its a long time since we had talked about Gandhism. Gandhism has a solution for everything(if I can use this word). So lets discuss on problems which are being faced by our society today,and try to discuss on solutions for these, based on Gandhi's Life. We might get some very good solutions , could be effective in real life case studies. As a starter I am posting an 'Inquiry' on Conflict Resolution.:neutral:

Consider the situation,

You have an argument with your senior colleague on a deliverable , which 'you' have prepared . He had worked on the review of this and found out that he had to do a lot of work to bring the deliverable to a good state. But this is only his point of view , you know very well that , the senior is not a competant reviewer and 'you cannot make the manager buy your point of view' . According to you , the deliverable only had some minor corrections , but your senior had worked on it for 3 days which is way over the required time. The manager enquires you on this . You are finally blamed for carelessness. You now have a conflict , How will you get around this problem?

Gandhi's life teaches us a lesson on Conflict Resolution:

Any man cannot understand the whole truth ,which makes the process of punishment a waste. No man can punish an other man , until he proves he is right , which he cannot do as no man can understand the truth in its entirety.

HI guys,
Its a long time since we had talked about Gandhism. Gandhism has a solution for everything(if I can use this word). So lets discuss on problems which are being faced by our society today,and try to discuss on solutions for these, based on Gandhi's Life. We might get some very good solutions , could be effective in real life case studies. As a starter I am posting an 'Inquiry' on Conflict Resolution.:neutral:

Consider the situation,

You have an argument with your senior colleague on a deliverable , which 'you' have prepared . He had worked on the review of this and found out that he had to do a lot of work to bring the deliverable to a good state. But this is only his point of view , you know very well that , the senior is not a competant reviewer and 'you cannot make the manager buy your point of view' . According to you , the deliverable only had some minor corrections , but your senior had worked on it for 3 days which is way over the required time. The manager enquires you on this . You are finally blamed for carelessness. You now have a conflict , How will you get around this problem?

Gandhi's life teaches us a lesson on Conflict Resolution:

Any man cannot understand the whole truth ,which makes the process of punishment a waste. No man can punish an other man , until he proves he is right , which he cannot do as no man can understand the truth in its entirety.

Hey its good to hear that there r ppl who beleive in Gandhism. I agree with u. All the problems of India, atleast problems related to people's mindest and morality can be solved with Gandhism.

Gandhism is basically a idealistic principle which can be followed by very few people like Gandhi himself. Human being by nature are depraved, Don't bank your hopes of people following Gandhism for any kind of conflict resolution.

---Asif

Hi guys,

As you say Gandhism might not be effective, but all the other approaches miserably fail , they dont come close to solving problems. They dont resolve problems , they change the problem to something else seeing which people believe that it is solved. :satisfie:

Its a long time since we had talked about Gandhism. Gandhism has a solution for everything(if I can use this word). So lets discuss on problems which are being faced by our society today,and try to discuss on solutions for these, based on Gandhi's Life.

Lage raho Munna bhai dekne ke baad se ye thread(gandhism) start hua.
Pehle ye thread aur gandhism kaha tha BHaI.
To the original poster Cat2006_svenk,

Boss, why are you dragging Gandhiji to sort our your personal issue?

If the objective is to find creative solutions to mundane problems, then it might be more interesting if we also try to analyse how Mandrake, Martin Luther King, Chacha Chaudhry, Tarzan, Shaktimaan and Michael Jackson would have dealt with the same issue.

But on a serious note, if your senior colleague and his boss don't buy into your arguments, then have a chat with the HR folks and get a transfer into another team. If the same situation comes up again, probably your previous bosses were right. Else congratulate yourself on taking the initiative and moving into a better team.

Apologies if you think there's less philosophy and more practicality in the solution. Give it a shot if you find it convincing.

Lage raho Munna bhai dekne ke baad se ye thread(gandhism) start hua.
Pehle ye thread aur gandhism kaha tha BHaI.

If thats the case, where do u feel was Bapu before he was thrown out of that train?

I have great faith in Gandhi, especially his integrity.We may or may not agreee with all his actions (withdrawal after Chaurichaura-- or chorri chorra as we used to remember it for history exams,being adamant on making Nehru the PM)
One may dismiss Gandhi as a pacifist, but he is the need of the day.

Gandhiji is just a link, the message in its essence has been derived from Jesus,Budha and other greats.It is about man appealing to his own higher self.it is about minimising one's personal cravings and uplifting other persons in the process.

But PANACEA is too strong a word. whenever any ideology,ism or religion is seen as a panacea,it becomes dogmatic.
And Gandhian philosophy doesnt have any quick fixes.the solutions in Lage Raho were romanticised.It was grossly simplistic.
But to its credit, the movie have conveyed the message.

Gandhian philosophy( for those who dont like calling it hindu-jaina pacifism)
is the need of the hour.
World leaders who keep speaking about ''Out of the box thinking'' need not look any further--it is Gandhian philosphy they r looking for.
It is one classic example of the WIN-WIN approach.

Nice thread.keep going

hey mahesh,
I agree with u on Gandhism is a classic example of the WIN-WIN approach.

My Experiences with truth(quite literally)
I didn't get the output 4 my experiment,in the lab today,the experiments we did were in the same drive,got tempted to copy that,was free to do dat...then the little Gandhi inside me told not to...I refrained
got the output after much toil...and am very satisfied...a happier soul

wud've sounded like philosophy 2 a few,dumb talk 2 others....it is to b experienced

HI,
I would like to make a point here, we are looking for solutions to problems. We cannot look at Tarzan,Mandrake etc, as these are fictional characters. We need an example, where a problem, which relates to our times being solved in a WIN-WIN way.And if Tarzan,Mandrake could provide such solutions , there is nothing wrong in using them.
As far as the personal problems go, the problem mentioned, should not be considered as personal,as this typically involves a moral dilemma.The solution given is good. But , is it the best one under the circumstances? is the major question.We should put in more efforts to bring out problems faced by todays society and try to come to a consensus on the solution.
It is not that the problem given is the only one. There are several others.Please think over this.There might be a light at the end of the tunnel, so we need to travel into the tunnel further, to see the light.

Hi Highflyer,
Thats a great effort, Gandhi stopped eating meat after he had tasted it.
He renounced his clothes after enjoying the benefits of the clothes, the same follows for brahmacharya. This means he is not like a non-drinker who hasn't drunk. It is like a drunkard , who stops drinkin. It is really tough to know the benefit of a mal-practice and avoid doing it. Hats-off.:) This may sound a little silly to appreciate such small incidents. But we need to realize, the same mistake might blow upto big proportions. Thats what is happening here in India now.

Gr8 highflyer

We cannot look at Tarzan,Mandrake etc, as these are fictional characters.

There might be a light at the end of the tunnel, so we need to travel into the tunnel further, to see the light.

What??? Tarzan, Mandrake etc are fictional characters? You mean to say my mom was lying to me all these years?

I guess I'll just have to throw my entire comics collection (including Indrajal/Diamond Comics/Amar chitra katha) and my spiderman costume in the dustbin and look for inspiration elsewhere.

Now please don't tell me that the light at the end of the tunnel...is an incoming train.
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do ,the greater the difficulty the higher the glory surmounting it
If thats the case, where do u feel was Bapu before he was thrown out of that train?

I have great faith in Gandhi, especially his integrity.We may or may not agreee with all his actions (withdrawal after Chaurichaura-- or chorri chorra as we used to remember it for history exams,being adamant on making Nehru the PM)
One may dismiss Gandhi as a pacifist, but he is the need of the day.

Gandhiji is just a link, the message in its essence has been derived from Jesus,Budha and other greats.It is about man appealing to his own higher self.it is about minimising one's personal cravings and uplifting other persons in the process.

But PANACEA is too strong a word. whenever any ideology,ism or religion is seen as a panacea,it becomes dogmatic.
And Gandhian philosophy doesnt have any quick fixes.the solutions in Lage Raho were romanticised.It was grossly simplistic.
But to its credit, the movie have conveyed the message.

Gandhian philosophy( for those who dont like calling it hindu-jaina pacifism)
is the need of the hour.
World leaders who keep speaking about ''Out of the box thinking'' need not look any further--it is Gandhian philosphy they r looking for.
It is one classic example of the WIN-WIN approach.

Nice thread.keep going

Hey its been close to year since this was posted, but while I was going through the thread it was extremely tempting for me to comment. I don't know why there is a misconception, that Gandhi "wanted" Nehru to be the PM. Yes, agreed Nehru was his best pupil and his nomination but when the time came where partition was the risk involved, Gandhi was fine with the Moslem League getting an upper hand over the Congressa and he was willing to to let Jinnah be the PM at the cost of having a united India. Unfortunately, Nehru disappointed him and so did the Congress.

Hey Guys,

Can we please continue this thread...

I thought , the thread has died its natural death... The very fact that people find an issue or two to talk about Gandhism is a very good sign...

Could anyone please post some nice solutions to complex problems using Gandhism

Attached is a PPT on the Mahatma (Presented at IIFT), with a comparative analysis of his style, with the style of one of our batch-mates.

U'll be surprised how relevant his style is, even today!

Hope u guys have fun going through it!