FT Ranking 2008

Guys, FT 2008 MBA ranking is out. ISB is now Rank #20. It has been a long wait for ISB!! LINK Cheers Ankur

Guys,

FT 2008 MBA ranking is out.
ISB is now Rank #20. It has been a long wait for ISB!!

LINK

Cheers
Ankur

Guys,

FT 2008 MBA ranking has come.
ISB now Rank #20. It has been a long wait for ISB!!

LINK

Cheers
Ankur

Thanks dude.. Was looking for this..

I wudnt really call it a long wait for ISB.. its too darn new.. but its good to have an Indian Insti up there..

Sam

ISB at no. 20! Excellent news!

On the flip side, none of the IIMs, not even the IIM-A, has made the top 100 list.

According to the FT list, the average weighted alumni salary of ISB ($169,355) is the highest in the top 100! :wow: Higher than Wharton, Harvard, Stanford GSB, Insead, MIT Sloan, etc., etc....

Are FT mistaken about that data? Or are recruiters that crazy about ISB?

So, ISB, officially the top B-school in the country? 😉

On the flip side, none of the IIMs, not even the IIM-A, has made the top 100 list.

According to the FT list, the average weighted alumni salary of ISB ($169,355) is the highest in the top 100! :wow: Higher than Wharton, Harvard, Stanford GSB, Insead, MIT Sloan, etc., etc....

So, ISB, officially the top B-school in the country? ;-)

This is all data!! May be there is a different way to read.
Interesting to see lots of non-US colleges in the list.
Rank#17 and #20 are real shockers!!
NUS out of the list.

Lots of UK colleges in list. FT is London based - who knows if there is a touch of bias!!!

Colleges like Boston University - #84 :shocked: - who wud believe that!!!!

Comment guys...

So, ISB, officially the top B-school in the country? ;-)

There are various ways to interpret it..

IMHO- As much as ISB deserves to be on the list, its shocking to see a school make an entry at 20..

and to top it, NUS is out of the list while Nanyang is well at the top again..

I find it hard to believe that Nanyang is in anyway better than NUS..

As for the IIM's, im not quite surprised.. If the sole criteria wud have been salary then the rankings would have been quite different.. a lot of other factors go into these rankings (im guessing).. A Bschool which doesnt confer to the generally excepted world standard of using the GMAT score, has its own exam with mistakes in its paper and answers that are debatable (specially englsih answers), and most importantly- is increasingly biased towards freshers than to people with workex for an MBA course, i think it'll find a lil difficult to make its way to the world top 100 list..

Dikhawe pe na jao ..
Apni Akal lagao
Look at the batch size of ISB ...
Most of the placements are also domestic ...
ISB is growing very fast ... and is def going to be world class in a few years ...
Just verify some of the details from the institute itslef 😃

ISB advertising through mails They say, they participated in ranking for first time

"Today, the 28th of January 2008, is a red letter day in the history of the ISB.
The latest list of the 100 top Global MBAs in the world released by The Financial Times today ranks ISB at Twenty (20), making it perhaps the youngest institution ever to be ranked among the top business schools in the world. The fact that we have been ranked 20th in the first time we have participated in rankings, makes this announcement so much more gratifying. "

Indeed an achievement!!

but an average ISB student earns approx. 30 lakhs p.a. pre-mba? :sleepy:

Apart from rank 20 , ISB bags Rank #1 for Best Salaries in Consulting, Finance.

FT.com / Home UK / UK - A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN: THE TOP TEN SCHOOLS IN SELECTED CATEGORIES

In short, ISB has been ranked one of the best in Consulting & Finance - now that is something!!
Simply :shocked:ing !!

ISB has still got a long way to go before the investment banking numbers are anywhere near the IIMs. With fewer Investment banks and PEs it is impossible for the weighted salaries to be as high as ISB has painted it.

For an institute with an average domestic salary of around 15 lpa and batch size of 400 (majority of whom get domestic salaries on par with IIM grads) the numbers are simply not true.

If FT can be manipulated thus, I am guessing the pagalguy ranking system is the way to go.

ISB has still got a long way to go before the investment banking numbers are anywhere near the IIMs. With fewer Investment banks and PEs it is impossible for the weighted salaries to be as high as ISB has painted it.

For an institute with an average domestic salary of around 15 lpa and batch size of 400 (majority of whom get domestic salaries on par with IIM grads) the numbers are simply not true.

If FT can be manipulated thus, I am guessing the pagalguy ranking system is the way to go.

Couldnot agree more....ISB ranks 1 in finance and consulting..ha ha..and that too ahead of K,S,W...this is mind blowing.....i guess this rankings should make people more aware abt this whole Ranking business....too put it in a simple and crude terms..." apni akal lagao.....dikave pe na jao"...
Rankings everywhere are the same, aren't they! PG get out before they pull you in too.

PS : no offence to any ISBian... I rate ISB very high.
There are various ways to interpret it..

IMHO- As much as ISB deserves to be on the list, its shocking to see a school make an entry at 20..

I agree, it's shocking. But then, someone here has said that it's the first time ISB has participated in the rankings or something to that effect...

and to top it, NUS is out of the list while Nanyang is well at the top again..

I find it hard to believe that Nanyang is in anyway better than NUS..

In 2007 too Nanyang was ahead of NUS... I don't really know much about either of them, so no comment.

Simz Says
As for the IIM's, im not quite surprised.. If the sole criteria wud have been salary then the rankings would have been quite different.. a lot of other factors go into these rankings (im guessing).. A Bschool which doesnt confer to the generally excepted world standard of using the GMAT score, has its own exam with mistakes in its paper and answers that are debatable (specially englsih answers), and most importantly- is increasingly biased towards freshers than to people with workex for an MBA course, i think it'll find a lil difficult to make its way to the world top 100 list..

I agree. On the IIM vs. ISB front, I think the most important factor is work experience. In the IIMs, most students are people with zero or very little work experience, and I suspect that is a huge negative point from a recruiters' point of view.

Also, quotas: ISB has no caste-based or other quotas like NRI, etc.. So, all the students get admission based on merit.

I call bullshit. ISB has still got a long way to go before the investment banking numbers are anywhere near the IIMs. With fewer Investment banks and PEs it is impossible for the weighted salaries to be as high as ISB has painted it.

FT's list may look unbelievable, but the fact remains that it's a very, very reputed source. And it's not an Indian source, one that can be easily manipulated by an Indian institute. This list is a huge, huge deal for ISB, a lot of recruiters are going to look at that list and say, "Hang on, that's an Indian institute at no. 20." Especially for international recruiters. I suspect this will also have an effect in the minds of students, a lot of students who thought IIMs were the divine best are going to see that there are other, potentially better options, in India itself. And that will improve the quality of the student body in the ISB too.
Methodology: How the FT compiles its MBA league tables

Compiling the Financial Times 2008 ranking of full-time MBA programmes began in July 2007. A total of 156 business schools that met the criteria for participation have been included.

To be eligible to participate, a business school must be internationally accredited by a body such as the AACSB, Amba or Equis; it must have a full-time MBA programme that has been running for at least five years; and it must have graduated its first class at least three years ago.
Furthermore, a school must have graduated at least 30 students from the class three years ago and in each subsequent year.

This year an online questionnaire was sent to 23,657 members of the graduating class of 2004 from the 156 business schools.

The FT always surveys graduates three years after they have completed the degree, to assess the effect of the MBA on their subsequent career progression and salary growth.

Forty-eight per cent of them replied. Last year the response rate was 44 per cent.

Of the 156 schools, 39 were excluded because of insufficient alumni data. The response threshold that the FT sets is 20 per cent of the entire class with an absolute minimum of 20 responses.

The remaining 117 were ranked and the final ranking shows the top 100 of these.

The rankings are based on data collected from two main sources: alumni and business schools. These data are collected using two different sets of questionnaires.

The criteria used in the rankings are grouped into three main areas: alumni salaries and career development, the diversity and international reach of the business school and its MBA programme, and the research capabilities of each school.

Of the 20 criteria used to determine the rankings, eight are based on data from alumni questionnaires, from Weighted salary (US$) to Placement success rank, Alumni recommend rank and International mobility rank.

The figures for seven of these eight criteria are based on data collected by the FT over three years. The data gathered for the MBA 2008 survey carry 50 per cent of the total weight. Data from the 2007 and 2006 rankings each carry 25 per cent. If only two years worth of data are available, the weighting is split 60:40 or 70:30 depending on whether the information is from 2008-2007 or 2008-2006. Value for money rank is based on the MBA 2008 figures only.

The first three criteria in the table examine alumni salaries and include the two most heavily weighted components of the ranking: Weighted salary (US$) and Salary percentage increase. Together these contribute 40 per cent of the rank for each school.

The following process is applied to all salary data before they are used in the ranking:

To begin with, salary data of alumni in the non-profit and public service sectors, or who are full-time students, are removed.

Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) rates supplied by the World Bank are then used to convert the remaining salary data to US$ PPP equivalent figures.
After the PPP conversion, the very highest and lowest salaries are excluded before the average salary is calculated for each school.

For larger schools, the average salary is weighted to reflect variations in salaries between different sectors. The weights are derived by calculating the percentage of all respondents working in each sector. This percentage breakdown is then used in the calculation of an overall average school salary which includes average salaries for each sector.

The salary data shown on the table are all US$ PPP equivalent figures.
The salary percentage increase is calculated according to the increase in average US$ PPP salary for each school from before alumni started the MBA until 2007. This is a period of four or five years.

Eleven of the ranking criteria are based on data from a questionnaire completed by each business school. These include the figures for Employed at three months (%), all criteria from Women faculty (%) to International board (%) and from International experience rank to FT doctoral rank.

The final column in the table, FT research rank, is based on a database compiled by the FT. This database counts papers written by the faculty of each school in 40 academic and practitioner journals during the past three years. Each school is awarded points per number of papers, the mark is also weighted for faculty size so that schools with small faculties are not penalised for publishing a small numbers of papers.

The research rank contributes 10 per cent of the final score.

After the data have been compiled, the results for each field are converted to Z-scores on a column-by-column basis. That is, for each column, a separate set of Z-scores is calculated. Z-scores take into account the differences in score between each school in that column and the spread of scores between the top and bottom school.

Well well well...

Firstly, hearty congrats to all involved with ISB for this. Great news! not just for ISB but also for other Indian BSchools.

We here know that the best quality of students end up at the IIMs(though low work ex is against them). but it is ISB which has made it to one of the most respected rankings.(now lets not Qn the rankings just cause our college is not on the list.. cause most of us took them as the gospel truth when deciding about where to study abroad!!). Perception wise amongst the student community in india, IIMs A,B,C are tops but its ISB which has left a better international impression(could anyone comment on why?)

I think this will have a few effects:

1: Many Indian students wishing to study abroad will turn their focus India ways.. towards ISB and also towards other indian B Schools as most realise here which schools rule the roost and if ISB has got this kind of recognition, others might also come into the limelight sooner rather than later.

2: Many students with admits to the top IIMs as well as ISB might choose the latter as believe me.. rankings do colour perception to a huge extent, at least here in india.

Whatever the case be... its all good for ISB as well as others...

Cheers,
Parag

The true mark of a person's maturity is not to shoot off one's mouth at something, but to understand and investigate it before stating your opinion. Do you think that FT is like some Rag Newspaper where you can plant your story for a few lacs?

My suggestion to people is to go to the Financial times website and read more about the test. Understand the methodology before trashing something.

It is quite obvious that the FT people have normalized salaries across the world (i.e. adjusted for purchasing power parity) in order to make an "apples" to "apples" comparison.

Heck, the avg salary last year at ISB was around 16 lacs, so it is plain obvious that they have taken $1=Rs 8 or 10 as the PPP conversion rate.

So folks...... understand the mechanics behind a story before trashing it completely.

End of the day, it should be a proud day for us all that an Indian Institute has made such a debut in Global rankings.

Peace.....
The Financial Times MBA 2008 rankings -TABLE KEY (weights are in brackets)
Audit year Indicates the most recent year that KPMG audited a business school, applying specified audit procedures relating to selected data provided for the Financial Times MBA ranking.

Salary today The average alumni salary three years after graduation. (The 2008 ranking surveyed the MBA class that graduated in 2004). This figure includes alumni salary data for the current year and the one or two preceding years, where available. The figure is NOT used in the ranking.

Weighted salary (20) The average alumni salary today with adjustment for salary variations between industry sectors. This figure includes data for the current year and the one or two preceding years where available.

Salary percentage increase (20) The percentage increase in average alumni salary from before the MBA to today as a percentage of the pre-MBA salary. This figure includes data for the current year and the one or two preceding years where available.

Value for money (3) This is calculated using the salary earned by alumni today, course length, fees and other costs, including the opportunity cost of not working for the duration of the course.

Career progress (3) This is calculated according to changes in the level of seniority and the size of the company alumni are working in now versus before their MBA. Data for the current year and the one or two preceding years are included where available.

Aims achieved (3) The extent to which alumni fulfilled their goals or reasons for doing an MBA.

Placement success (2) Alumni who used the careers service at their business school were asked to rank its effectiveness in their job search. This figure includes data for the current year and the one or two preceding years where available.

Employed at three months (2) The percentage of the most recent graduating class that had found employment or accepted a job offer within three months of graduation. The figure in brackets is the percentage of the class for which the school was able to provide employment data.

Alumni recommend (2) Alumni were asked to name three business schools from which they would recruit MBA graduates. The ranking is calculated according to the votes for each school. Data for the current year and the one or two preceding years are included where available.

Hi all !

http://www.ft.com/businesseducation/mba
Just now read the mail from ISB director announcing that ISB has finally made it to FT-100 with a stunning rank of 20. Its a 'WOW' for all the Indian students.

Some more interesting facts to be discussed. One from my side:
1. NUS is now no more in the top 100 😞

Hi all !

Just now read the mail from ISB director announcing that ISB has finally made it to FT-100 with a stunning rank of 20. Its a 'WOW' for all the Indian students.

Some more interesting facts to be discussed. One from my side:
1. NUS is now no more in the top 100 :(

Lets discuss. Please chip in your findings.

Another one from my side:
2. Most of the US B-Schools have seen a slump in their rankings. The list includes Darden, Ross, Yale, Duke, UNC,... ,... Can this be attributed to the ongoing recession?