FT MBA Rankings 2011 - IIM A Ranked 11 and ISB Ranked 13

FT Global 2011 MBA Rankings are out Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Global MBA Rankings 2011 Two Indian Business Schools have made it to the top 15 list Debuting at Rank 11 - IIM Ahmedabad (1yr MBA) Rank 13 …

FT Global 2011 MBA Rankings are out

Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Global MBA Rankings 2011

Two Indian Business Schools have made it to the top 15 list

Debuting at Rank 11 - IIM Ahmedabad (1yr MBA)

Rank 13 - ISB Hyderabad

Rank 68 - GMBA of SP Jain Center of Management, Dubai / Singapore

"The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, is the highest-placed newcomer. Impressive salary data, both in terms of the average three years after graduation ($174,440) and increase in earnings following the MBA (152 per cent), enabled it to debut at number 11. These data are consistent with another key ranking metric - IIMA alumni top the list for career progression, a measure that compares students' job titles before and three years after completing their MBA"

Credits: FT.com / Business Education - LBS and Wharton top the global MBA ranking

This is interesting. So after downplaying ISB's ranking as deceptive (flawed salary increase calculation) for years, IIMA gets ranked 11 based on the very same basis.

Anyway, a proud day for India. Sadly, these rankings don't change anything except give both these schools boasting ammunition for Indian audience. Because, no westerner's really joining these schools in their current form.

Does this refer to PGP program or 1 year Ex-Program? because AFAIK FT refused to rank PGPs of IIMs previously as it considered them to be equivalent to Masters in Management prog. rather than an MBA(which don't admit freshers) and IIMs didn't agree to be ranked under Masters prog.s
And again AFAIK IIM A was ranked 10th in Master of Management prog. last year by FT.

Nonetheless, it indeed will give boost to global visage of IIMs, A in particular.
Let's see how other b-schools respond to it.

EDIT: Turns out that IIM A was ranked 8th in Master of Management prog http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management

Its good to see IIMA finally getting into the rankings. and ISB as high as it is. This will definitly bring more diversity to students enrolling in future to these.

I personally find it pointless to compare IIMA PGPX, PGP with ISB. All the programs are in a different league. In fact ISB's new PGPMAX can also not be compared. The student profiles is different with overlaps at some places. I'm just happy to see Indian programs find their place and grow internationally.

As a 1 year MBA aspirant. I am delighted to see IIM-A, ISB and SP Jain - Singapore/Dubai into the top 100 rankings.

This really helps us (Indians) pick from affordable, closer to home, top notch MBA options.

Way to go!!!

Good to see IIM-A in the global Top 15 finally! :thumbsup:

Great to see the Indian B-schools catching up! Want more to join the league!

Am a bit surprised to see SP Jain GMBA in the top 100 rankings. Never knew it was so good.
Way to go!!:cheerio:

LMFAO at FT rankings....Chicago, Berkley, Darden, UCLA, Yale, Ross etc. below IIM A,ISB, HKUST...lol!! Can't say more...if you believe these rankings, then you are living in a fool's paradise.

Just check the number of references Chicago and university of california-berkley and la have on international publications. You'll realize that IIMs and ISB are dwarfs in front of these 'globally' famous MBA schools.

Faculty at berkley, there are noble winners too! l Faculty & Research - Haas School of Business, University of California Berkeley

FT needs a reality check...

Does this refer to PGP program or 1 year Ex-Program? because AFAIK FT refused to rank PGPs of IIMs previously as it considered them to be equivalent to Masters in Management prog. rather than an MBA(which don't admit freshers) and IIMs didn't agree to be ranked under Masters prog.s
And again AFAIK IIM A was ranked 10th in Master of Management prog. last year by FT.

Nonetheless, it indeed will give boost to global visage of IIMs, A in particular.
Let's see how other b-schools respond to it.

EDIT: Turns out that IIM A was ranked 8th in Master of Management prog Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Masters in management 2010

This is for the 1-year PGPX course. Details are here:

IIM Ahmedabad's PGPX is 11th in FT's global MBA rankings - Academy - DNA
The Hindu : Front Page : IIM-A ranked 11th among global business schools

If anything, this will provide greater acceptance for the 1-year courses amongst the corporates, many of them are still doubtful of the potential of such courses. Hail IIM-A! This indeed is a good news for all the 1-year mba courses across campuses. Not to forget SPJAIN GMBA, they are at 68 too.:cheerio:

Regards,
Vikram
LMFAO at FT rankings....Chicago, Berkley, Darden, UCLA, Yale, Ross etc. below IIM A,ISB, HKUST...lol!! Can't say more...if you believe these rankings, then you are living in a fool's paradise.

Just check the number of references Chicago and university of california-berkley and la have on international publications. You'll realize that IIMs and ISB are dwarfs in front of these 'globally' famous MBA schools.

Faculty at berkley, there are noble winners too! l Faculty & Research - Haas School of Business, University of California Berkeley

FT needs a reality check...

You won't be saying this 5-7 years down the line. This is the power of East which the world is recognizing. And yes, Chicago, Darden, UCLA are known to many Indians through these very rankings. We, as Indians are trained to think in terms of ranks. Remember the pride we achieve in securing 1st rank in class and scoring high percentiles in entrance exams. And maybe after a few years, case studies from these very schools will be taught in western colleges, then you won't complain.

Regards,
Vikram

*Disclaimer*

I don't stand to mock the IIMs or any other Indian institute here. I'm dealing with a delusional person, and my opinions are strictly personal. Argue with facts and figures if you want to, no need to get all personal and worked up.
----------------------------------------------

You may not be, but you sound like the typical, chauvinistic deluded Indian who thinks we are the only ones marching ahead with leaps and bounds, while the rest of the world is worriedly watching us and wondering what they should do next to match us, or at least stop our stunning, heroic, unmatched, exemplary, glorius growth.

You won't be saying this 5-7 years down the line.

So all global business schools will do nothing for the next 5-7 years? Or are we suddenly going to have multiple noble winners popping up within our faculties, with the core focus being shifted towards cutting edge research and publications instead of jobs and placements? Can you explain what will happen in the next 5-7 years that couldn't have happened in the last 20-30 years?

We, as Indians are trained to think in terms of ranks.

Don't generalize to that extent. Not all Indian parents and grooming institutions are such tyrants. Neither my parents, nor my school ever trained me to think in terms of ranks. My mom, having spent some 10 years with CRY, was only concerned if I'd ever develop a sense of social responsibility towards the less fortunate. I did, since I was lucky to attend a school IN INDIA where academics and ranks were not the only priority of the day. And there are thousands of Indians like me whose lives haven't revolved only around academics, ranks and placements.

And maybe after a few years, case studies from these very schools will be taught in western colleges, then you won't complain.

Why did you use the word 'maybe'? I feel it contradicts the confidence with which you started the argument. Anyways, I have two words for you: "Pipe dream".

You know, objective and fact based arguments are becoming a rarity these days. And when I read stuff like what you've written, it angers me, because you appear to be part of the somewhat illiterate sounding deluded crowd whose patriotism won't allow them to see reality the way it is. You're probably part of the crowd which thinks that India will indeed be a developed country by 2020, and a superpower soon thereafter.

It's understandable that you love the nation (so do I!) and you'd defend the reputation of these institutes regardless of reality, but ask yourself:

1. Do the IIMs really match Harvard, Wharton etc. in terms of research, publications and patents? You'll argue that in a nation like ours, placements will be a priority for obvious reasons. My question: When will that change? In the next 50 years?
  2. What about infrastructural aspects like accomodation and campus facilities?
  3. Have you seen pictures of Kellogg's and compared them side by side with IIM-A, B, C etc?
  4. Have you EVER seen a noble laureate in any of the IIM faculties? Whoa!!, aren't we the most superior and intelligent race ever? God's own, and endowed with intellect good enough to make the rest of the world look like pygmies? Then why this anomaly?
  5. What about diversity of students? In terms of ethnic backgrounds, age and experience?
  6. How many international applicants apply each year to the IIMs? And how drastically will this change in the next 5-7 years?

can anyone tell me whether the salary that is given is per month or per annum

@ mainframedude and vikram_k51,

Just came across your posts and felt that it might help to have a somewhat differing view on this.

I am a current student at ISB and trust me here no one loses sleep over whether a magazine ranked us before some other B School and behind it. ISB is a relatively new school with a 10 year existence and in a short span it has done remarkably well to carve out a niche for itself by its focus on emerging markets. No one here claims that we are better than school X or Y based on some rankings. Most of the schools mentioned in both the posts above (both from US and IIMs) are outstanding schools. And frankly speaking out there in the world there are enough opportunities for all these schools to co-exist & thrive through research and industry interaction.

I think we at times get unduly worked up over rankings. Most of these top schools have their own relevance in their own geographies & circumstances.