FT MBA Rankings 2009

Rankings out! Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times

Rankings out!

Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times

This is an interesting ranking. Chicago-Booth is down to 11 behind CEIBS! ISB is ahead of quite a few big names!!

Ppl of PG, comment away!

I think Asian business schools are really making a buzz....

Ceibs at 8, ISB at 15, Hong Kong Business School 16 and now Nanyang at 24.

Nice to see them competing with the best in the business.

True

PS: With this post I become an expert pagal.

True

Yes..that true....with benefits of lower cost and of course a big consumer market( better job opportunities) Asia was bound to come to lime light....this economic depression will surely have its positive impact on Asian b schools with ppl now preferring lowcost schools than the big names like Harvard where break even perriod is more than 5 yrs..

Well, I don't wish to be a dampener, but I guess the overall FT rankings need to be taken with grain of salt.

In FT, there is a column which says "Alumni Recommend Rank" - Business schools from which alumni would recruit MBA graduates.

If you arrange schools per this ranking, following clusters come up:

Cluster 1 : HBS / Wharton / Stanford

Cluster 2 : Kellogg / LBS / INSEAD / Chicago

Cluster 3 : Columbia / MIT / NYU / Tuck

Cluster 4 : Haas / Ross / Duke

Cluster 5 : Darden / IMD / UCLA

Cluster 6 : IESE / Rotman / Ivey

I guess this ranking of top 20 schools makes more sense.

Personally, I would swap NYU with IMD in the above rankings; but for rest of the rankings I guess alumni are spot on.

True

I am seeing lot of Asian schools in limelight.. but how is the AIM Manila faring guys?.. am not seeing much of it in rankings

My list would be slightly different. Between 3 & 4 i'd rather go to 3 than to 4. There is also a 2.5 for some schools who arent a 2 but arent exactly a 3 either.

1.Top- class: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago

2. Super-class: Kellogg, MIT, Columbia, Dartmouth, Berkeley,Cornell, Michigan,NYU, Duke,LBS, INSEAD, IMD,Darden, IIMs A, B, C & L- Two year programmes.

2.5 : Oxford, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman, IESE

3. Regular Class: UCLA, Indiana, UNC-KF, CMU-Tepper, USC, Emory, HEC, Cambridge, Manchester, Cranfield, RSM Erasmus, , ESADE, IE, Bocconi, ; CEIBS, HKUST;

4. :IIMs K & I ; XLRI, MDI, SPJAIN- two year programmes. NUS, NTU, ISB; IIM A, C & B-one year programmes.

Of course, this is my perception. Caveat Emptor

I wonder if we have the numbers to pull off an International Ranking. Lets see what we can work out.

My list would be slightly different. Between 3 & 4 i'd rather go to 3 than to 4. There is also a 2.5 for some schools who arent a 2 but arent exactly a 3 either.

We have so many Indians applying to Foreign and Desi b-schools; ofcourse the ranking will be perceptual and not factual.

In case of US b-schools, we have enough data points to come up with a factual ranking; not sure about desi schools though.

Only Desi-Schools--> Home - PaGaLGuY.com B-school Rankings 2009

The no: of junta on PG apping to international b-schools is a lot less. Still its worth a try.

We have so many Indians applying to Foreign and Desi b-schools; ofcourse the ranking will be perceptual and not factual.

In case of US b-schools, we have enough data points to come up with a factual ranking; not sure about desi schools though.

1.Top- class: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago

2. Super-class: Kellogg, MIT, Columbia, Dartmouth, Berkeley,Cornell, Michigan,NYU, Duke,LBS, INSEAD, IMD,Darden, IIMs A, B, C & L- Two year programmes.

Most people in the US would consider Kellogg above Chicago. Even in the UltraElite cluster, people make smaller clusters like H/S/W in top 3, K/MIT as 4/5 and Chi/Col at 6/7.

And you put Kellogg/MIT in the same class as Cornell, Michigan, Berkeley, IIMs?? I think there is a huge gulf between two ultra elite schools and the other schools you've put together with them.

No offense meant to any school, but just thought your clustering was too generic and defied reason.

Cheers!
I did put "Caveat Emptor"

I was being a trifle lazy when i clubbed the schools because then creating separate bands would have been time consuming. There is no denying that Kellogg and MIT are great schools. However, i have no intention of applying to them. They just dont attract me. Again, that doesn't mean i dont realise that K and MIT are huge brands that get instant recognition. The idea wasn't to create rankings but to show perception. I prefer Chicago over Kellog. And I did say this is "my" perception.

I debated over putting IIMs in the same class as 2. Hence my note about 2.5 Also, i wld prefer a 2yr program. Oxford, Ivey and Schulich are 1yr programs.

Like i said, sheer laziness

I am an admit to the class of 2010 and my views may appear to be biased towards ISB.. You can either read this post believing I am biased towards Indian BSChools or try to understand my PoV - with an open mind.

Perhaps B-Schools don't work on perceptions - but on facts and calibre of the students and the faculty. We have all grown up hearing names like Duke and Darden and Cornell - and they are obviously great schools. But would you be able to put in your best when you are always worried about recovering your investment? A Business school decision has to factor in short term and long term costs and opportunities.

For example, Would you be willing to go to UCLA today? ISB has , in class of 2010, people preferring it over the likes of Chicago and UCLA. Try to get into the shoes of someone who has to choose between the schools - paying 8-10 million INR with uncertainity over job prospects - and visa requirements.

Well, I must say UT Asutin (McCombs) deserves a mention here. It is definetely one of the top schools in the US. I would rank it along with Cornell, Darden and Emory.

Folks: What do you think?

MBA, unlike Engineering/Law/Medicine-Surgery is not an essential education/degree. There are far far more successful businessmen/entrepreneurs who don't have MBA degrees than successful engineers who don't have engineering degrees. In fact, an MBA, unlike an engineer/lawyer/doctor doesn't even need license to practise.

Because of the fact that MBA is an optional education, the place where you get it at/from holds great importance. The same may hold for engineering/law/medicine-surgery, but to a much lesser extent. So, in case of MBA, the brand of one's institution plays much greater role than one can imagine.

Therefore, when Nothing1954 says that perceptual rankings do matter, I wholehertedly agree. We do MBA because we want new doors to get opened, and believe me number of these doors is directly proportional to the perceived strength of an institution. And this is where US schools tend to heavily outscore their conterparts elsewhere. Believe me, when you are perceived to be at top, its very difficult to dislodge you; because its a self-feeding process.

Ofcourse for internationals, getting an MBA from US is a gamble. I believe that when you invest an amount which is way way beyond your means, it ceases to be an investment and becomes a gamble. Frankly, I am scared to death to go under so much of debt, but then hasn't always higher returns entailed higher risks? At this point, MBA becomes a very personal decision, and your choices/aspirations begin to outweigh others' perceptions.

So give due weightage to your choices, but never dismiss perceptions, because believe me, this degree is all about how others will perceive you...your recruiters, peers from other schools, etc.