Free Consultation and Review on PI & SOP type Questions [2012]

Hey puys, Welcome to this thread. Let us build up this thread with brave confessions on our PI Questions which would provide an insight to all aspirants irrespective of whichever institute one is applying for as the context and the theme behind …

1 Like
Hey puys,
Welcome to this thread. Let us build up this thread with brave confessions on our PI Questions which would provide an insight to all aspirants irrespective of whichever institute one is applying for as the context and the theme behind the motive of each institute remains the same. Let us follow this approach and get every query and answer in PG brought under one thread so that its easier for new puys like me to access the information and benefit from it. I sincerely request all Senior Puys to help out the juniors wherever possible.
Wish U all puys visiting this thread get what you were looking for 😃
1 Like
Let us start of by building a little content on PI Question and Answer Types....

Disclaimer: Let us all restrain from putting up contents copyrighted by others. I will personally not be responsible for plagiarism by anyone else. All the contents I am putting up on this thread may have been taken from various internet sources but they certainly do not have any copyrights on it.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato
Points to Remember:
*Keep an Interview Diary maintained for yourself.
*Practice Mock interviews with siblings if possible. And right after each mock note what you did right, and what could have been better and also what steps you should take next with this in mind. Please avoid ignoring this step as this might bring out tremendous results out of you...
P.S. This pedagogy has been tested by a friend of mine 😃
General Guidelines in Answering Interview Questions

Everyone is nervous on interviews. If you simply allow yourself to feel nervous, you'll do much better. Remember also that it's difficult for the interviewer as well.

In general, be upbeat and positive. Never be negative.

Rehearse your answers and time them. Never talk for more than 2 minutes straight.

Don't try to memorize answers word for word. Use the answers shown here as a guide only, and don't be afraid to include your own thoughts and words. To help you remember key concepts, jot down and review a few key words for each answer. Rehearse your answers frequently, and they will come to you naturally in interviews.

Other important interview strategies:
- Turn weaknesses into strengths (You'll see how to do this in a few moments.)
- Think before you answer. A pause to collect your thoughts is a hallmark of a thoughtful person.
- Be honest...never lie.

You might feel that the answers to the following questions are canned, and that they will seldom match up with the exact way you are asked the questions in actual interviews. The questions and answers are designed to be as specific and realistic as possible. But no preparation can anticipate thousands of possible variations on these questions. What's important is that you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the main strategies behind each answer. And it will be invaluable to you if you commit to memory a few key words that let you instantly call to mind your best answer to the various questions. If you do this, and follow the principles of successful interviewing presented here, you're going to do very well.

I will be posting each question in the form of replies as it is easier to go through if all questions are posted as different reply and can also be discussed separately. Anyone wanting to read the following questions in the form of a book can mail me on my email-id and i will send it to you :)
Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
TRAPS: Beware; about 80% of all interviews begin with this innocent question. Many candidates, unprepared for the question, skewer themselves by rambling, recapping their life story, delving into ancient work history or personal matters.

BEST ANSWER: Start with the present and tell why you are well qualified for the college. Remember that the key to all successful interviewing is to match your qualifications to what the interviewer is looking for. In other words you must sell what the buyer is buying. This is the single most important strategy in an interview.

So, before you answer this or any question it's imperative that you try to uncover your interviewer's greatest need, want, problem or goal.

To do so, make you take these two steps:
1. Do all the homework you can before the interview to uncover this person's wants and needs (not the generalized needs of the college)
2. As early as you can in the interview, ask for a more complete description of what the college entails before hand. You might say: I have a number of accomplishments I'd like to tell you about, but I want to make the best use of our time together and talk directly to your needs. Then, ALWAYS follow-up with a second and possibly, third question, to draw out his needs even more. Surprisingly, it's usually this second or third question that unearths what the interviewer is most looking for.

This process will not feel easy or natural at first, because it is easier simply to answer questions, but only if you uncover the interviewer's wants and needs will your answers make the most sense. Practice asking these key questions before giving your answers in mocks and the process might make you feel more natural and get you light years ahead of the other candidates you're competing with.
After uncovering what the employer is looking for, describe why the needs of this college bear striking parallels to tasks you've succeeded at before. Be sure to illustrate with specific examples of your responsibilities and especially your achievements, all of which are geared to present yourself as a perfect match for the needs of the college you have applied for.
Question 2: What are your greatest strengths?
TRAPS: This question seems like a softball lob, but be prepared. You don't want to come across as egotistical or arrogant. Neither is this a time to be humble.

BEST ANSWER: You know that your key strategy is to first uncover your interviewer's greatest wants and needs before you answer questions. And from Question 1, you know how to do this.

Prior to any interview, you should have a list mentally prepared of your greatest strengths. You should also have, a specific example or two, which illustrates each strength, an example chosen from your most recent and most impressive achievements.

You should, have this list of your greatest strengths and corresponding examples from your achievements so well committed to memory that you can recite them cold after being shaken awake at 2:30AM.

Then, once you uncover your interviewer's greatest wants and needs, you can choose those achievements from your list that best match up.

As a general guideline, the 10 most desirable traits that all interviewers love to see in the students are:

1. A proven track record as an achiever...especially if your achievements match up with the interviewer's greatest wants and needs.
2. Intelligence...management "savvy".
3. Honesty...integrity...a decent human being.
4. Good fit with corporate culture...someone to feel comfortable with...a team player who meshes well with interviewer's team.
5. Likeability...positive attitude...sense of humor.
6. Good communication skills.
7. Dedication...willingness to walk the extra mile to achieve excellence.
8. Definiteness of purpose...clear goals.
9. Enthusiasm...high level of motivation.
10. Confident...healthy...a leader.
Question 3: What are your greatest weaknesses?
TRAPS: Beware - this is an eliminator question, designed to shorten the candidate list.

Any admission of a weakness or fault will earn you an A for honesty, but an F for the interview.

PASSABLE ANSWER: Disguise a strength as a weakness.
Example: I sometimes push my people too hard. I like to work with a sense of urgency and everyone is not always on the same wavelength.

Drawback: This strategy is better than admitting a flaw, but it's so widely used, it is transparent to any experienced interviewer.

BEST ANSWER: (And another reason it's so important to get a thorough description of your interviewer's needs before you answer questions)

Assure the interviewer that you can think of nothing that would stand in the way of your performing in the college with excellence. Then, quickly review you strongest qualifications.
Example: Nobody's perfect, but based on what you've told me about this position, I believe I' d make an outstanding match. I know that when I hire people, I look for two things most of all. Do they have the qualifications to do the job well, and the motivation to do it well? Everything in my background shows I have both the qualifications and a strong desire to achieve excellence in whatever I take on. So I can say in all honesty that
I see nothing that would cause you even a small concern about my ability or my strong desire to perform this job with excellence.

Alternate strategy (If you don't yet know enough about the interviewer's needs to talk about such a perfect fit):

Instead of confessing a weakness, describe what you like most and like least, making sure that what you like most matches up with the most important qualification for success pertaining to the college, and what you like least is not essential.
Question 4: Tell me about something you did - or failed to do - that you now feel a little ashamed of.
TRAPS: There are some questions your interviewer has no business asking, and this is one. But while you may feel like answering, "none of your business," naturally you can't. Some interviewers ask this question on the chance you admit to something, but if not, at least they'll see how you think on your feet.
Some unprepared candidates, flustered by this question, unburden themselves of guilt from their personal life or career, perhaps expressing regrets regarding a parent,spouse, child, etc. All such answers can be disastrous.

BEST ANSWER: As with faults and weaknesses, never confess a regret. But don't seem as if you're stonewalling either.

Best strategy: Say you harbor no regrets, then add a principle or habit you practice regularly for healthy human relations.
Example: Pause for reflection, as if the question never occurred to you. Then say, "You know, I really can't think of anything." (Pause again, then add): "I would add that as a general management principle, I've found that the best way to avoid regrets is to avoid causing them in the first place. I practice one habit that helps me a great deal in this regard. At the end of each day, I mentally review the day's events and conversations to take a second look at the people and developments I'm involved with and do a double check of what they're likely to be feeling. Sometimes I'll see things that do need more follow-up, whether a pat on the back, or maybe a five minute chat in someone's office to make sure we're clear on thingswhatever."

"I also like to make each person feel like a member of an elite team, like the Boston Celtics or LA Lakers in their prime. I've found that if you let each team member know you expect excellence in their performanceif you work hard to set an example yourselfand if you let people know you appreciate and respect their feelings, you wind up with a highly motivated group, a team that's having fun at work because they're striving for excellence rather than brooding over slights or regrets."
Question 5: The Silent Treatment
TRAPS:Beware if you are unprepared for this question, you will probably not handle it right and possibly blow the interview. Thank goodness most interviewers dont employ it. Its normally used by those determined to see how you respond under stress. Heres how it works:

You answer an interviewers question and then, instead of asking another, he just stares at you in a deafening silence.

You wait, growing a bit uneasy, and there he sits, silent as Mt. Rushmore, as if he doesnt believe what youve just said, or perhaps making you feel that youve unwittingly violated some cardinal rule of interview etiquette.

When you get this silent treatment after answering a particularly difficult question , such as tell me about your weaknesses, its intimidating effect can be most disquieting, even to polished students.

Most unprepared candidates rush in to fill the void of silence, viewing prolonged, uncomfortable silences as an invitation to clear up the previous answer which has obviously caused some problem. And thats what they do ramble on, sputtering more and more information, sometimes irrelevant and often damaging, because they are suddenly playing the role of someone whos goofed and is now trying to recoup. But since the candidate doesnt know where or how he goofed, he just keeps talking, showing how flustered and confused he is by the interviewers unmovable silence.

BEST ANSWER: Like a primitive tribal mask, the Silent Treatment loses all it power to frighten you once you refuse to be intimidated. If your interviewer pulls it, keep quiet yourself for a while and then ask, with sincere politeness and not a trace of sarcasm, Is there anything else I can fill in on that point? Thats all there is to it.

Whatever you do, dont let the Silent Treatment intimidate you into talking a blue streak, because you could easily talk yourself out of the position.

Hey puys,
Please download a copy of GD-PI anthology by pagalguy.com for yourself through this link PaGaLGuY Books in case if you haven't yet :)

Dear puys if you feel that you are finding it difficult to follow this thread by reading the uploaded material online then pagalguy.com has this amazing feature to convert the whole thread into a printable version which u can use and get all this on paper :)

STEPS TO FOLLOW:
Go to thread tools which is at the top on the tabs available there.
Click on it and there it is your first option

Also do not forget to rate this thread... Thank you puys :)

'It is today we must create the world of the future.' -eleanor roosevelt

Hi all,I found this article on preparing yourself for interviews. I am sure it will benefit us all.

PREPARATION FOR INTERVIEWS

Because communication skills are such an integral part of effective management, some schools include personal interviews as part of the admissions process. Some tips to help you prepare for an interview:

o Review your application; the interviewer is likely to ask specific questions about it. o Be ready to provide examples and specifics and to elaborate on info on your resume and application. o Be open and honest. o Ask questions, since the interview is as much an opportunity for you to learn about the school as for the school to learn about you. o Follow proper business decorum. o Watch your nonverbal clues, such as eye contact, posture, and fidgeting. o Be courteous to the administrative staff, since how you treat them can have an impact (positive or negative).

Some Frequently Asked Questions on Interviews :

"Tell us about yourself"?

In an interview how does one handle the question "Tell us about yourself?".

An often asked opening question. Perhaps the most frequently asked question across interviews. Your opening statement needs to be a summary of your goals, overall professional capabilities, achievements, background (educational and family), strengths, professional objectives and anything about your personality that is relevant and interesting. This question represents an opportunity to lead the interviewer in the direction you want him to go e.g., your speciality or whatever else you may wish to highlight.

Your intention should be to try subtly convincing the interviewers that you are a good candidate, you have proved that in the past and have a personality that fits the requirement.

Remember that the first impression you create will go a long way in the ultimate selection. Keep in mind, most candidates who are asked this question just blurt out their schooling, college, marks and qualifications. All this is already there in the CV. Why tell the interviewer something he already knows?

A final word on approaching this question. Once you have said what you have to say - shut up. Don't drone on for the sake of speaking for you just might say something foolish. Sometimes interviewers don't interrupt in order to give the candidate the impression that he has not spoken enough. This is just a stress/error-inducing tactic. Don't fall for it, especially if you feel you have spoken enough. In case the pause gets too awkward for your liking, just add something like, "Is there something specific that you wish to know about me?"

Is it better to have a longer selection interview or a shorter one?

The length of an interview in no way is an indicator of how well an interview went. This is especially so when there are a number of candidates to be interviewed, like in the Civil Services interview or the MBA entrance interview. In the past, a number of candidates have reported varying lengths of interviews. Nothing positive or negative should be read into this. An interview is only a device whereby the panel seeks information about the candidate. Information that will help the panel decide whether or not the candidate should be selected. If the panel feels that it has gathered enough information about the candidate in 15 minutes of the interviewcommencing and that it has no further questions to ask the interview will be terminated in 15 minutes. If on the other hand the panel takes an hour to gather the information required to take a decision the interview will last for an hour. In either case the decision could be positive or negative. It is a fallacy to believe that interview panels take longer interviews of candidates whom they are more interested in. No panel likes to waste its time. If an interview is lasting longer than usual then it only means that the panel is seeking more information about the candidate in order to take a decision.

In the MBA entrance interview how do I justify my decision to pursue the MBA programme?

When you are asked this for God's sake don't tell the panel that you are looking for a"challenging job in a good firm with lots of money, status and glamour". That is the first answer that most candidates think of. Unfortunately, it is the last answer that will get you admission. In the answer to a direct question on this subject you must convey to the interview panel that you have made a rational and informed decision about your career choice and your intended course of higher study. There are broadly four areas which your answer could touch upon:

Career Objectives : You could talk about your career objectives and how the two year MBA programme will help you achieve them. This implies that you have a clear idea of what your career objectives are and how you wish to achieve them. For example, you may want to be an entrepreneur and wish to set up your independent enterprise after doing your MBA and then working for a few years in a professionally managed company. You could explain to the panel that the MBA programme will provide you with the necessary inputs to help you run your business enterprise better. But then you must be clear about what the inputs you will receive in the MBA programme are.

Value Addition : That brings us to the second area that your answer should touch upon. What is the value you will add to yourself during your two year study of management. Value addition will essentially be in two forms knowledge and skills. Knowledge of the various areas of management e.g. marketing, finance, systems, HRD etc. and skills of analysis and communication. You will find it useful to talk to a few people who are either doing their MBA or have already done it. They will be able to give you a more detailed idea of what they gained from their MBA.

Background : Remember, there must be no inconsistency between your proposed study of management and your past subject of study or your past work experience. If you have studied commerce in college then management is a natural course of higher studies. If you are an engineer this is a tricky area. You must never say that by pursuing a career in management you will be wasting your engineering degree. Try and say that the MBA course and your engineering degree will help you do your job better in the company that you will join. But then you should be able to justify how your engineering qualification will help.

Opportunities and Rewards : You could also at this stage mention the opportunities that are opening up in organizations for management graduates. Highlight with examples. At the end you may mention that while monetary rewards are not everything they are also important and MBAs do get paid well. You must not mention these reasons as your primary motivators even if that may be the case.

What to Expect ?

In general, B-school interviews are not formulaic. The focus can range from specific questions about your job responsibilities to broad discussions of life. Approach the interview as a conversation to be enjoyed, not as a question-and-answer ordeal to get through. You may talk more about your hobbies or recent cross-country trip. This doesn't mean that it won't feel like a job interview. It just means you're being sized up as a person and future professional in all your dimensions. Try to be your witty, charming, natural self. Interviews are conducted by students, faculty, admissions personnel and alumni. Don't dismiss students as the lightweights; they follow a tight script and report back to the committee. However, because they're inexperienced beyond the script, their interviews are most likely to be duds. You may have to work harder to get your points across.

How to Prepare ?

Prepare for the interview in several ways: Expect to discuss many things about yourself. Be ready to go into greater depth than you did in your essays (but don't assume the interviewer has read them). Put together two or three points about yourself that you want the interviewer to remember you by. Go in with examples, or even a portfolio of your work, to showcase your achievements. Practice speaking about your accomplishments without a lot of "I did this, I did that." Finally, be prepared to give a strong and convincing answer to the interviewer's inevitable question: "Why here?"

Self Awareness

1. How would you describe yourself ? 2. Tell me about yourself ? 3. How do you think a friend or professor who knows you would describe you? 4. What motivates you to put forth your best effort ? 5. How do you determine or evaluate success ? 6. What academic subjects did you like best ? Least ? 7. What led you to choose the career for which you are preparing ? 8. What personal characteristics are necessary for succeeding in the career that you are interested in ? 9. What is your philosophy of life ? 10. Why have you switched career fields ?

Weaknesses / Negatives

1. What major problems have you encountered and how have you dealt with them ? 2. What have you learnt form your mistakes ? 3. What do you consider to be your greatest weakness ? 4. Did you ever have problems with your supervisor ?

Skills / Abilities / Qualifications

1. What do you consider to be your greatest strength ? 2. Are you creative ? Give an example. 3. What qualifications do you have that makes you think you will be successful ? 4. In what way do you think you can make a contribution to society? 5. Why should we take you ? 6. What are your own special abilities ? 7. Why should we take you over another candidate ?8. What is your managing style ? 9. Why do you want to join this institute ? 10. What do you know about our institute ?

Values

1. What is your attitude towards working hard ? 2. What part does your family play in your life ? 3. What are the most important rewards you expect in your career ? 4. What is more important to you : money offered, or the type of job ? 5. Do you enjoy independent research ? 6. In what kind of a work environment are you most comfortable ? 7. How would you describe the ideal job for you ? 8. What two or three things are most important to you in your job ? 9. Do you prefer working with others or all by yourself ? 10. How do you like to work ? 11. Under what conditions do you work best ? 12. What is the highest form of praise ?

Experience

1. In what part-time or summer job have you been most interested ? 2. Tell me about your experience. 3. What jobs have you held ? 4. How did your previous employer treat you ? 5. What have you learnt from some of the jobs that you have held ? 6. What jobs have you enjoyed most ? Least ? Why ? 7. What have you done that shows initiative and willingness to work ? 8. Describe your current job. 9. What did you like least about your last job ? 10. What did you like most about your last job ?

Goals / Objectives

1. What are your short-term and long-term goals and objectives ? 2. What specific goals other than those related to your occupation have you chosen for yourself for the next 10 years ? 3. What do you see yourself doing 5 years from now ? 4. What do you really want to do in life ? 5. How do you plan to achieve your career goals ?

Education

1. How has your education prepared you for a career ? 2. Describe your most rewarding college experience. 3. Why did you select your college or university ? 4. If you could, would you plan your academic study differently ? 5. Do you think grades are a good indication of your academic achievement ? 6. What have you learnt from participation in extracurricular activities ? 7. Do you have plans for continuing your studies ? 8. Why did you pick your programme ? 9. What courses did you like best and why ? 10. What courses did you like least and why ? 11. How has your college experience prepared you for this job ? 12. How did you pick your dissertation ? 13. Describe your dissertation process.

Salary

1. What do you expect to earn in 5 years ? 2. What did you earn in your last job ?

Interests

1. What are your outside interests ? 2. What do you do with your free time ? 3. What are your hobbies ? 4. What types of books do you read ? 5. How interested are you in sports ? 6. How did you spend your vacations in school ?

General

1. What qualities should a successful manager possess ? 2. Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor and a subordinate. 3. What 3 accomplishments have given you the greatest satisfaction ? 4. If you were taking a graduate for this institute, what qualities would you look for ? 5. What can I do for you ? 6. Tell me a story.7. Define cooperation.

Stress Questions

1. What causes you to lose your temper ? 2. How often have you been absent from school, work or training ? 3. Have you ever had trouble with other people on the job ? 4. Can you take instructions without getting upset ? 5. Don't you feel you are a little to old/young for this job ? 6. How does your family like you being away on business trips ? 7. With your background, we believe that you are overqualified to join this institute. 8. You haven't had sufficient experience in this field. 9. Our experience with women on this job has not been good. 10. What would irritate you most if I as a manager did it ?

Influencing Others

1. Tell me about the time you were most persuasive in overcoming resistance to your ideas or point of view. 2. Tell me about the last time someone made an unreasonable request of you. 3. Describe the most disappointing and frustrating experience in gaining the support of others for an idea or proposal.

Interpersonal Skills

1. Describe a situation where it was most important for you to display tact and diplomacy. 2. Tell me about the last time you had a clash or disagreement with someone at school/college/workplace. 3. Tell me about a time when you felt most frustrated and disappointed at a person with whom you had worked.

Personal Adaptability

1. Tell me about the last time you were criticized by a supervisor or a professor. 2. Tell me about the time when you felt most pressured or stressed at work/ school/internship. 3. Tell me about the time when you felt most frustrated at your school/workplace. 4. In what aspects of your work/internship do you have the most confidence in your abilities.

Communication Skills

1. Tell me about the time when you felt best about your ability to draw out or solicit information from another person. 2. Tell me about the time when you had to work your hardest in order to fully understand what another person was saying to you. 3. Describe the last time when someone at school/work misunderstood what you were trying to communicate.

Motivation

1. Tell me about the most long term, sustained extra hours of effort that you put into your work/college/internship. 2. Describe a time when you felt most frustrated or discouraged in reaching your goals or objectives. 3. What do you feel has been your most significant work/school/internship related achievement within the past year or so ? 4. Describe the last time you did something well which went beyond the expectations in your work/internship.

Administrative Skills

1. Tell me how you go about organizing your work and scheduling your own time. 2. What do you do to ensure that your goals and objectives are met in a timely way ? 3. Describe the most extensive planning that you have ever done.

Problem Solving and Decision Making

1.Tell me about the most difficult problem that you faced in your work/school/internship ?2.Tell me about the last time you made a decision that backfired. 3.Tell me about the time when you regretted most not getting advice before you went ahead ?

Conflict Management Skills

1. Tell me about the last significant crisis situation that you faced in your work. 2. Tell me about a time when you were most persuasive in overcoming resistance to your ideas. 3. Tell me about the time when you had a disagreement with someone at work.

Bro,

Good thread bro! keep the good work coming! ATB

GD/PI Basics:

It is a discussion by a group of people. The discussion involves an exchange of thoughts and ideas among members of the group. Group Discussions are largely used in the selection process for admissions into institutes, where there is a high level of competition. The number of participants in a group can vary from 8-15 people. In most cases a topic or a situation will be given, and the group members will have to discuss it within a given period of time.

Reasons for employing a GD:

Value for time
GD helps in forming an opinion about a large number of candidates in a short period of time on a common platform.
Skills assessment
GD helps in assessing certain skills that cannot be evaluated even in a personal interview (leave alone the written application form etc.). These skills include team membership, leadership skills, listening and articulation skills etc.

What is checked in a GD?
All that one observes in a GD can be categorized into two broad areas: - The Content and the Process.
The content is all about 'what' or the 'matter' spoken in the GD. Whereas, the process refers to the 'how', 'when' and 'why' of the GD.
Both are equally important and need adequate attention at all stages.
High quality contribution by one with no regard to the 'process' is as suicidal as another's contribution, which is high on packaging with little content.
Critical Success Factors in a GD:
Cognitive skills or knowledge
The most important aspect of your contribution to a GD is the Quality of Content (QOC), which is reflected in the points you speak and knowledge of the relevant subject you have, the supportive examples you give and data you generated etc.
Comprehension of core idea
It is essential to deliver a high quality content. But to do that , you should speak on the topic and not deviate. It is checked whether you have identified the crux of the problem or not and whether the solutions you are offering is relevant to the problem or not.
Logical reasoning
It includes understanding the topic, generating quality arguments, analysis and a progressive approach to a justifiable conclusion. This is one of the necessary attributes to be seen in an influential participant. Such people convey an impression of open minded and logic driven rather than that of an opinionated individual.
Behavioural and Personality Skills
This includes certain attributes like rapport building, team membership, participation, patience, assertion and accommodation, amenability, leadership etc,. that are assessed during a GD.
Communication Skills
You should be able to articulate your thoughts properly and you should also be able to understand what others are trying to tell you.
Clarity of thought
In whatever you are articulating, are you following logical sequence/ order or is that you are presenting the points in some bits and pieces.
Body Language and Eye Contact
These are some tools which check your level of confidence and whether you can work together effectively in group or not.
Types of Group Discussions:
Structured (or Default) GD
1.A structured GD is one that is most commonly used.
2.The group is given a topic for discussion with 10 to 20 minutes for discussion. The topic can be anything going under the sun.
3.There is no leader appointed for the group and the brief may or may not include anything but the topic for discussion. Here the topic of discussion is clearly defined and students know what is the objective of discussion.
Unstructured GD
1.Unstructuredness can be built into a discussion wherein no clear instructions are given. So first of all, the students have to decide as to what is to be done.
2.The panel expects the group to achieve some objective(s) during the course or by the end of the GD, but here the objectives are to be decided by the group itself and not given by the observer.
These might include tasks such as choosing the topic for discussion, appointing the leader or a chairman etc.

The Interview:
An interview is a face-to-face meeting, especially for the purpose of obtaining a statement or for assessing the qualities of a candidate.
An interview tries to obtain a statement or opinion, as is done for e.g. when film stars are interviewed to get their views on any particular role, or when the Prime Minister is interviewed to get statement on the result of his discussion with another political leader. So as a student going for interviews of management schools, we need to understand the various topics of general interest in details and should be able to discuss them intelligently.
Another purpose of the interview is to assess a person on various personal attributes like honesty, integrity, communication skills, ability to handle pressure, ability to plan for oneself, etc.
Must to do before an Interview
Learn about the Institute
Refresher on the subjects of you graduation or of general interest.
Tips for the Interview
1.Entering the room
Prior to opening the door, adjust your attire so that it falls well.
If the members of the interview board want to shake hands then offer a firm grip maintaining eye contact and a smile.
Seek permission to sit down.
Diffuse the tense situation with a light-hearted humour and immediately set a rapport with the interviewers.
2.Lead the Interview
A good interviewee would be quick to settle and begin to lead the interviewers.
3.Enthusiasm
The interviewer normally pays more attention if you display an enthusiasm in whatever you say.
You should maintain a cheerful disposition throughout the interview i.e. a pleasant countenance holds the interviewers interest.
4.Be Brief
5.Don't Bluff - be honest
6.Humor- humor tends to break the monotony and puts every one at ease and also generates interest and enthusiasm.
7.Interviewer fatigue
Mostly interviews are conducted the whole day leading to fatigued minds.
A little humour as a starter will ease the fatigued minds. However, if you do not have the knack of humour, it is better not to get into it.
You must be proactive in offering information about yourself as the interviewers will be willing listeners.
8.Be well mannered: show courtesy
9.Avoid slang
10.Be poised
11.Ask Question, if necessary
12.Eye Contact- maintain good eye contact with the persons interviewing you.
13.Listen carefully and answer to the point.
14.Be natural, do not pretend that you are somebody else.

Source: CL
Bro,

Good thread bro! keep the good work coming! ATB

Thanks Chinnugadu for your support 😃

IIM / CAT Group Discussion (GD) - Dos and Donts

The tips given below are appicable in any GD. The only difference between most other GDs and the GDs conducted by the IIMs after CAT or other top B Schools is the intensity of the competition.

1.Be as natural as possible. Do not try and be someone you are not. Be yourself.

2.A group discussion is your chance to be more vocal. The evaluator wants to hear you speak.

3.Seek clarification if you have any doubts regarding the subject.
Don't start speaking until you have clearly understood and analyzed the subject.

4.Work out various strategies to help you make an entry: initiate the discussion or agree with someone else's point and then move onto express your views.

5.Opening the discussion is not the only way of gaining attention and recognition. If you do not give valuable insights during the discussion, all your efforts of initiating the discussion will be in vain.

6.Your body language says a lot about you - your gestures and mannerisms are more likely to reflect your attitude than what you say.

7.Language skills are important only to the effect as to how you get your points across clearly and fluently.

8.Don't lose your cool if anyone says anything you object to. The key is to stay objective: Don't take the discussion personally.

9.Always be polite: Try to avoid using extreme phrases like:
`I strongly object' or
`I disagree'.
Instead try phrases like:
`I would like to share my views on' or
`One difference between your point and mine' or "I beg to differ with you"

10.Brush up on your leadership skills; motivate the other members of the team to speak (this surely does not mean that the only thing that you do in the GD is to say "let us hear what the young lady with the blue scarf has to say," or "Raghu, let us hear your views" - Essentially be subtle), and listen to their views. Be receptive to others' opinions and do not be abrasive or aggressive.

If you have a group of like-minded friends, you can have a mock group discussion where you can learn from each other through giving and receiving feedback.
Apart from the above points, the panel will also judge team members for their alertness and presence of mind, problem-solving abilities, ability to work as a team without alienating certain members, and creativity.

These are a few etiquette one must follow while addressing the panel irrespective of whether you are in front of an IIM panel or of any other B-school.

Please keep posting your answers so that we can apply finishing touches to it and as it would also help out others who are unable to form proper answers on their own...

I want to be a change agent of the society, tackle major social issues, and offer new ideas for wide-scale change.

I believe there's nothing as powerful as a new idea in the hands of an entrepreneur. So, my long term goal is to become a social entrepreneur and draw upon business techniques to find solutions to world problems.

But, as of now I am not fully enlightened about the way to entrepreneurship and the skills required for the it.

And, one of the instance when I realised I need MBA was when I tried my hand in selling my DIY projects. I sold hand made phone covers, canvases & T-Shirts to my friends, but wasn't able to make it a success. I realised I need  technical, analytical and interpersonal skills to be a successful entrepreneur. Also, I need a good network to learn from.

Through studying an MBA from NMIMS, I can become part of great network of professionals, companies, alumni and students from different disciplines & cultures, which can be great ingredient for innovation. Furthermore, the pedagogy of college can help me in structured learning, specially through case-studies model. It can be great place to be creative and a great place to fail and ideal environment to test ideas, without harsh consequences. 

Please check. TIA!