First Class Academic Requirements from Indians??

MBA360.. formerly Journey to my MBA: International Applicants: If you're not 1st class, BEWARE! See the link above. Apparently, UCLA requires it’s Indian students to have a minimum First Class in their degrees to be eligible for consideration. Th…

http://daveformba.blogspot.com/2006/09/international-applicants-if-youre-not.html

See the link above.

Apparently, UCLA requires it's Indian students to have a minimum First Class in their degrees to be eligible for consideration.

This is not good.

What about all the poor shmucks who did their MS and MCom while working full time and only managed to scrape through?

Can anyone please confirm/elaborate on this news?
Are any other colleges joining this ridiculous bandwagon?

yes it is confirmed.

& we dont hv to double check it once it s published in sir Dave's blog

look 😃 being Indian u hv to accept the fact u r applying from most competitive pool of applicants...

I am sooooo...........SCREWED!!!!!!!

Is there a work-around to this? I mean something like greater work-ex/WOW factor/MS degree with First Class/................

Then again, if I had greater work-ex or the WOW factor i'd still apply to UCLA and damn the rule!!

So this brings me back to my original doubt-- is this rule for Indians with ave work-ex(4-5yrs,most Indians fall into the Great Profile(Indian/IT/...)anyways) or is it that Indian=>First Class irrespective of whatever it is you have on your application?

building am 'alternative transcript' with a good GMAT is the option. trav will overpower the low marks in bachelors.

this also proves that u still hv zeal to study & could excel too.

I am sooooo...........SCREWED!!!!!!!

Is there a work-around to this? I mean something like greater work-ex/WOW factor/MS degree with First Class/................

Then again, if I had greater work-ex or the WOW factor i'd still apply to UCLA and damn the rule!!

So this brings me back to my original doubt-- is this rule for Indians with ave work-ex(4-5yrs,most Indians fall into the Great Profile(Indian/IT/...)anyways) or is it that Indian=>First Class irrespective of whatever it is you have on your application?

Read the original link.

The rule is absolute. No negotiation or leeway.
Read the original link.
The rule is absolute. No negotiation or leeway.

This doesnt make any sense at all. And i have to agree with Dave--its completely unfair (NO no sour grapes at all here just a POV)

Let's take rakesh's case.The dude has 25+years of experience in the government sector. IF he doesnt have a First Class he cant apply? Or what if despite poor acads, someone's managed to shine in his work-ex-- doing all the right things/getting all the right breaks/...... Doesnt quality(and to some extent quantity) of work-ex count?

There have been enough debates over whether undergrad performance is a true indicator of the mangerial ability of a student. And please no crap about it showing whether you can work hard or not. I understand Indian colleges/companies using this since the number of applicants(freshers) is staggering. But dont US colleges look at a more all-round thingy? Why would UCLA need this rule? As it is, people applying to US colleges fret over their profiles and try their damnedest to make it stand out.

If UCLA continues with this rule, By Jove!! am i glad I ain't going there
This doesnt make any sense at all. And i have to agree with Dave--its completely unfair (NO no sour grapes at all here just a POV)

Let's take rakesh's case.The dude has 25+years of experience in the government sector. IF he doesnt have a First Class he cant apply? Or what if despite poor acads, someone's managed to shine in his work-ex-- doing all the right things/getting all the right breaks/...... Doesnt quality(and to some extent quantity) of work-ex count?

There have been enough debates over whether undergrad performance is a true indicator of the mangerial ability of a student. And please no crap about it showing whether you can work hard or not. I understand Indian colleges/companies using this since the number of applicants(freshers) is staggering. But dont US colleges look at a more all-round thingy? Why would UCLA need this rule? As it is, people applying to US colleges fret over their profiles and try their damnedest to make it stand out.

If UCLA continues with this rule, By Jove!! am i glad I ain't going there

Why would anyone with some decent ambitions and self realisation go to UCLA anyway? beats me.
and why the heck didn't you call up yesterday.
as a fine, you dont get fast replies to your queries from now onwards.
And i mean it. I had to while away my time zabardasti in Central cause i thot you might wanna meet up. nahin to main aaram se masti marta.
Why would anyone with some decent ambitions and self realisation go to UCLA anyway? beats me.
and why the heck didn't you call up yesterday.
as a fine, you dont get fast replies to your queries from now onwards.
And i mean it. I had to while away my time zabardasti in Central cause i thot you might wanna meet up. nahin to main aaram se masti marta.

I am so sorry. I went to church in the evening and some oldies got to talking to me.

Also,Please repeat the following sentence

"Rahul lives 2mins fm Central.You can even see his flat from Central. In fact, Rahul often longs to take potshots at Central!!" x10000000000000000

YOU HAVE NO SHAME!!! So I might be a tad useless at making the call, but ye cld have atleast called and fired me. I live soooo close to Central its not funny. And I know I told you that I live close to that place!

Stay on the topic people.

And I'm sure MANY people want to go to UCLA.

I'm not though.....

Stupid MCom Part 1.

me no ULCA.
but i respect its decision.

remember these top three CA colleges receive most indian students appl.
(yes i kno Wharton s in Indian's heart)

its techie oriented as u know... so it goes for good acads.

what else ?
we hv other (& better colleges who look for all rounded profiles:)

me no ULCA.
but i respect its decision.

remember these top three CA colleges receive most indian students appl.
(yes i kno Wharton s in Indian's heart)

its techie oriented as u know... so it goes for good acads.

what else ?
we hv other (& better colleges who look for all rounded profiles:)

Well, that is correct. A lot of Indians from the competitive IT/Male group is looking for a tech specialization in MBA and want to stay close to the Silicon Valley. which makes UCLA an attractive choice. And because of this, the applicant pool is quite competitive and the university is forced to make decisions like this.

Though I share the same aspirations, I have decided not to apply to UCLA mainly because of the reason that their loan scheme is not great. They do offer loans without a US co-signer, but one needs to show verifiable assets worth the loan amount! This is as good as borrowing from a bank in India, which is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

what d heck. i had made up my mind fr ucla app. now i gotta find another school!! in my college toppers got 71 percent and normal dudes like me passed. so why cant these la ppl unnerstand dat?

ps: shud i still apply...i aint a techie plus ive got a decent gmat score. any comments? ill write an additional essay about my poor grades!!

I am so sorry. I went to church in the evening and some oldies got to talking to me.

Also,Please repeat the following sentence

"Rahul lives 2mins fm Central.You can even see his flat from Central. In fact, Rahul often longs to take potshots at Central!!" x10000000000000000

YOU HAVE NO SHAME!!! So I might be a tad useless at making the call, but ye cld have atleast called and fired me. I live soooo close to Central its not funny. And I know I told you that I live close to that place!

to hell with shame. you idiot i did try at your home number. remember you do not have any cell!!!
get lost. saala itna nakhra to main gf nahin uthata

back to the topic guys. pardon this digress

Cheers

Please be On the topic guys...

Hi,

this is my first post on PG in almost 2 months! i was outta action for a lot of reasons, did i miss out on something? :)

Anyways, the rule is that you need a first class if you've only done bachelors, but if you've done a masters, then second class in masters will do. The trick here is: if you;ve got a first class in masters but a second class in bachelors, you can still apply! i hope that makes things clearer. correct me if im wrong, though.

i dont think any other school is following this rule for now, its too late for them to come up with such criteria now that admissions have officially opened for '07. However, i expect some more schools, maily those with large volumes of indian/foregin applicants, to follow suit from next year onwards.

on personal front, i have just about managed to scrape past first class (my aggregate percentage score is just one percent above the first class mark!). So while it does qualify me to apply, i think i will be in the bottom rung of the applicants, GPA wise. But i have a good gmat score to back me up (730), so i guess that should shield me against the GPA-predators! Lets see...i will apply to UCLA nonetheless.

hey kunal, long time! hope the apping is going good. You made a rather strong statement up there about "why would someone with decent ambitions wanna go to UCLA"...whats your reasons for opposing UCLA and why do you not consider it good enuff? not starting a debate here, but just wanna know if i've missed out any blindingly obvious negative point against the school...let me know.

hey kunal, long time! hope the apping is going good. You made a rather strong statement up there about "why would someone with decent ambitions wanna go to UCLA"...whats your reasons for opposing UCLA and why do you not consider it good enuff? not starting a debate here, but just wanna know if i've missed out any blindingly obvious negative point against the school...let me know.

Hey CTD
long time no talk man. where the heck have you been?
and about UCLA, well i just have to admit, i suffer from the foot in the mouth disease.
i actually meant something else but office frustration went out to the wrong audience.

actually, i meant that ppl better have some really really string reason for applying to UCLA cause otherwise i dont see that much value addition vis-a-vis the expenditure coming out of that school.
but again it is really a subjective thing

sorry if i tread wrong, again

what all schools are you finally thinking bout? i hope you are already majorly into your apping.

Cheers and ATB

Kunal

aagjhactly newagehumor!

ya ctd, is this also applicable for IIMA?
1st class- be it in masters or in bachelors. isnt it?

I hate UCLA for these kind of stupid requirements. It is one school that openly restricts indian applicants. Browse around the website and you will uncover many interesting materials supporting my claim.
Then they will say on BW that we want to be a global institution and fooling people in india to apply there. It is also one of the schools apart from NYU in the top echelons that would require students to have taken TOEFL if they have studied outside india. It will be futile to argue with them that your undergraduate degree was in English and that you can have letter from your undergrad school to support this claim.

I hate UCLA for these kind of stupid requirements. It is one school that openly restricts indian applicants. Browse around the website and you will uncover many interesting materials supporting my claim.

i d love to believe in ur claims ...only if u provide substantial references, proof:)

show us the holes u seen. ...could be helpful to us.