Financial engineering!

Hi every would like to know if there are any guys form the field of financial engineering. Or any one preparing for it.

Hi every would like to know if there are any guys form the field of financial engineering.

Or any one preparing for it.

Hi every would like to know if there are any guys form the field of financial engineering.

Rumour, i remember a thread on FE existing. pls search for it.

Check out the following threads:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/making-most-of-vba-excel-25017648
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/predictive-analysis-what-is-the-real-deal-25020809

I work in this field ,for any specific queries post on this thread I'll see if I can answer them.
Rajat

Thanks for the leads mate I am a newbie @ this forum ... 😃

I want to pursue MFE so would like to know whether you have done MFE and working this filed currently? and if yes then how much and what kind of work prior work experience is required as a prerequisite for this course offered by the UC as the website does not mentions it specifically.

rumour Says
I want to pursue MFE so would like to know whether you have done MFE and working this filed currently? and if yes then how much and what kind of work prior work experience is required as a prerequisite for this course offered by the UC as the website does not mentions it specifically.

By UC I assume you mean University of California ,Berkley.
I don't think prior workex is a prerequisite but getting in there is very tough(in MFE programmes Berkley is at the very top).Most of the ppl over there have solid workex or the ones without it are having a killed profile-Phd in a Quant disipline +some post Doc research.

I work in this field although do not have a MFE degree,you can break into this field even without an MFE provided you a have a Master's /Phd in a Quant heavy discipline from a top notch institute +an inclinaction towards finance.

Well just to give u an idea I have done my Engg. in computer science form Pune university and have a 23 months of work exp. in soft. dev. (Not in financial domain though) and I am currently pursuing Master of Engg. Management. from Australia will be done with this course in coming 6 months so I have started out doing some research in the field of finance and I am typically interested in modeling part of it. So now i want to ask you do I stand a chance to get in to UC Berkeley. And what kind of score should I aim for give that I dont have the luxury of dedicating 4-5 hours in a day for GMAT. (Thanxs again you are really helping me out and do you have any leads in UC with whom I can interact)

rumour Says
Well just to give u an idea I have done my Engg. in computer science form Pune university and have a 23 months of work exp. in soft. dev. (Not in financial domain though) and I am currently pursuing Master of Engg. Management. from Australia will be done with this course in coming 6 months so I have started out doing some research in the field of finance and I am typically interested in modeling part of it. So now i want to ask you do I stand a chance to get in to UC Berkeley. And what kind of score should I aim for give that I dont have the luxury of dedicating 4-5 hours in a day for GMAT. (Thanxs again you are really helping me out and do you have any leads in UC with whom I can interact)

Rumour, try to shift to a orgn working in finance domain. Preferbly a captive SW/BPO orgn. Thereafter try getting a basic finance degree like CFA-AIMR or similar.

Even if you get thru UCB MFE you will be fish in desert situation. I have seen finance professors from ICFAI and other top Indian schools not able to read thru and understand UCB MFE question papers. Its pure quanti stuff. Also be thorough in econometrics, statistics before you apply for MFE.

Thanks a lot for the information. Could you all gimme me a heads up about the colleges which are good enough may not be the top notch in US wherin i can apply.. i am a software Engg working in the telecom domain.. and have a 3.5 Years exp .. i seriously want to switch to Finance now..

golugeek Says
Thanks a lot for the information. Could you all gimme me a heads up about the colleges which are good enough may not be the top notch in US wherin i can apply.. i am a software Engg working in the telecom domain.. and have a 3.5 Years exp .. i seriously want to switch to Finance now..

Well here is the link for the IAFE (International Association of Financial Engineers - About IAFE) web site there You will find the link for all the unis in world offering this course.
well Uni. California, Carnegie Mellon University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Georgia Institute of Technology, MIT, Stanford are few on the top...
Best of luck for in uer endeavour.

I have been on PG from quite long now but never knew a thread on Financial Enginnering..
Anyways about me I applied to Columbia(MSFE), CMU(MSCF), Stanford(MSFM), NYU(MSMF), Michigan(MSFE) and UIUC(MSF) this yr..

I have a admit from Michigan MSFE, UIUC MSF and I am waitlisted at CMU MSCF..
Will be mostly going to Michigan if i don't covert CMU..
In very simple terms u can call Financial Engineering(FE) as application of maths in finance.. So basically u need to have interest in both quant and finance.. and this is certainly one of the upcoming fields..
I can help ppl in their application process but i wudn't be able to comment on how the course is, wat job u get, wat is the scope of it in india as i am still a outsider.. puys who are pursuing this course now or have completed it or working in this field can be a great help..
puys like rajatb, bizskool etc. can help us to a gr8 extent..

P.S. Mods, I realized there whr arnd 6 threads on financial engineering but cudn't figure out which is the most appropriate.. i request mods to close others if they are not in use and make this thread official for financial engineering..

Regards,
Vishal

i m also someone who has been doing the research on those MFE programs for sometime now.......i wud be going for my mba in vgsom this july...hwoever MFE will be my long term target.....

let's me put the MFE courses of top instutites like LSB,BERKELEY,Columbia.

in these institues though it is the master's course..if you go through their websites and courses..you will realise tht it is not actually a normal masters program..

it is actually a phd in finance meant for commercial purposes....

if you see the profiles of the students especially in Berkeley and LSB

those guys have

1)masters or pHD already

2)they are mostly CFA level-2

3)have at least 2 years of exp in finance domain

so the point i want to make is in these top institues the MFE program is just not another master's program it's much more than tht..tht's why they have such strong profiles...

Try Global Derivatives - Index

i m also someone who has been doing the research on those MFE programs for sometime now.......i wud be going for my mba in vgsom this july...hwoever MFE will be my long term target.....

let's me put the MFE courses of top instutites like LSB,BERKELEY,Columbia.

in these institues though it is the master's course..if you go through their websites and courses..you will realise tht it is not actually a normal masters program..

it is actually a phd in finance meant for commercial purposes....

if you see the profiles of the students especially in Berkeley and LSB

those guys have

1)masters or pHD already

2)they are mostly CFA level-2

3)have at least 2 years of exp in finance domain

so the point i want to make is in these top institues the MFE program is just not another master's program it's much more than tht..tht's why they have such strong profiles...

Hi vin.. What you sayin is not entirely correct.. Even if u are a fresher directly from ur BE u can get a admit into gud programs(with gud academics and strong SOP) .. Two of my friends have got into stanford and I myself have been waitlisted at CMU, the chances whose converting are decent.. All of us passed out in 2006 and when we applied we had workex of just 4-5 months..
What you are doing is also correct, many guys do MFE after MBA.. Infact I know few ppl from IIMA, XLRI, IIMC, IITD applyin for MFE after MBA..
But if u are so sure of doin a MFE, y don't do a FRM or CFA instead of doin a MBA.. Neways, u must have thot over it and its ur desicion.. atb..

Regards,
Vishal

Hi Vishalchopra...

Have received an Admit from IIT Stuart with 50% aid.. How would u rate the placements there? is it close to impossible to find a job..

My profile is almost similar to urs..

Workex : 1 yr FT at NVidia
BE Comp Sci Pune Univ..
68% First class with Disti..

Hi Vishalchopra...

Have received an Admit from IIT Stuart with 50% aid.. How would u rate the placements there? is it close to impossible to find a job..

My profile is almost similar to urs..

Workex : 1 yr FT at NVidia
BE Comp Sci Pune Univ..
68% First class with Disti..

See plz understand tht I am just a applicant like you and no expert, so any advice i am givin is based on my own research..
Ya the prob with IIT stuart is tht it has 3 similar courses with 100 students each so finding internship and placements for freshers like us is very difficult.. i knew this so i didn't apply there, i applied only to the top schools whose course i liked and plcmnts whr decent..
If u have time, I will advice u not to join IIT this yr and instead give a FRM/CFA(whichever u find more interested in and comfortable), add something more to ur profile and apply next yr.. But the only problem is in the no of applicants for FE are gonna increase each yr due to its hype so its not sure u get a admit next yr.. but with decent profile, gud recos and strong SOP, u can be optimistic..
P.S. I am vishalchopda and not vishalchopra:)

Regards,
Vishal

oh ok... Have also applied to Gatech... What do u think are the chances there? GMAT : 700

broh Says
i am expecting a decision from Gatech soon.. once they get my GMAT official score report! What do u think are the odds of getting in at this stage?

No idea buddy.. but nothing can be said for surety.. Try mailing them..
Hi vin.. What you sayin is not entirely correct.. Even if u are a fresher directly from ur BE u can get a admit into gud programs(with gud academics and strong SOP) .. Two of my friends have got into stanford and I myself have been waitlisted at CMU, the chances whose converting are decent.. All of us passed out in 2006 and when we applied we had workex of just 4-5 months..
What you are doing is also correct, many guys do MFE after MBA.. Infact I know few ppl from IIMA, XLRI, IIMC, IITD applyin for MFE after MBA..
But if u are so sure of doin a MFE, y don't do a FRM or CFA instead of doin a MBA.. Neways, u must have thot over it and its ur desicion.. atb..

Regards,
Vishal

yep agree with you..however the concept of MBA is to gain fundamentals in Finance and across various domains...only MFE will lead to career totally techncial in finance which i m not looking at..

Let me give you an example.....IB after MBA gives you a prfoile wherein you re invloved as an analyst..but not invovled into product formation becuase it involves high level of technical knwoledge of finance which the MFE guys have......

Now MFE after MBA will equip you with both the skills..and it is an universaly accepted fact that MBA in finance by no means mean tht u re an expert of finance..it's just tht you understand the gist of finance......

now coming back to schools....

yep i agree tht freshers do get admitted idirectly for MFE...however i was talking specifically of the schools like Berkeley and London school of busines..

i had a comprehensive look at their student profiles.....wherein most of the students had masters or even an PHD before coming in...though there were someguys directly from bacherlos but then they had bachelr's from top-most universities.....

also coming on the CFA point most guys entering in these two universities are already CFA level-2..so you can see the kind of profiles of student who enter into these two universities...

but yes there re always exceptions.....