financial engineering fro a commerce graduate?

hello pgites as in i am mad abt finance & thats the reason why i am hear, i have searched through various forums and have some how getting the impression that the world is for engineers only and commerce graduates dont have any change against…

hello pgites
as in i am mad abt finance & thats the reason why i am hear,
i have searched through various forums and have some how getting the impression that the world is for engineers only and commerce graduates dont have any change against them.
does that mean that commerce graduate has nothing to do in future?
as i am a commerce graduate with good academics, i m seriously intrested in doing financial engineering.
hey buddies does a commerce graduate stand any change of becoming a financial engineer...........
i am a b com graduation and have 2.5 yrs of work experience in a investmnet firm. my work ex will become 3 yrs by fall 2006?i am very good with computers but i never knew that doing c++ and visual basic is required by finance.
i have never heard of softwares like matlab,mathematica,sasa,gauss,rats etc.and thats why i am seriously getting worried abt my future.
my future goal is that i want to work with a big investment bank in wall street.
plz help me and guide me in order to achieve my dreams.it would be grt if u would understand my problem and give me feedback and help me to make a systematic plan following which i would make my dream of getting into a top ranked programme ?
i have certain queries if u could help me:
1)would a commerce graduate be accepted in any of top 10 program of financial engineering in us?
2)if not what other degrees should i try to obtain so that i could get get in a top 10 programme?
3)i have started learning vb.net and c++ programming,which degree or examination should i clear so that the universities should get convinced that i have the required programming skills?
4)in case they accept a commerce graduate?personally what examination or education should i do to improve my maths or quants skills so that i could compete with the engineers in my class?
5) i have never heard of softwares like matlab , mathematica, sasa, gauss, rats etc in india?where could i learn to use such softwares in india?
are thre any institutes in india which could teach me such softwares?
6)if not would they accept a guy who does not have a knowledge of such softwares?
7)do u know abt any commerce graduate who have made it to any of the top 10 programmes?
plz buddy help me i am seriously intrested in doing my masters in financial engineering.
waiting for reply
sameer.

me not an expert on this but still...

FE(financial engg) requires some really heavy duty maths. derivatives, stats, and what not. engineers generally find this easy coz some of it they ahve already learnt and most engg find maths easy.

see any selfrespecting mutual fund , the fund manager will be an enggineer in addition to an mba! a bcom woudl definitely find it difficult but theres hope always. one way would be to do a CA(yeah that sounds easy 😛 ) or CFA or a advanced degree in finance.

matlab? he he !!! that sounds familar.

anywho,

1)would a commerce graduate be accepted in any of top 10 program of financial engineering in us?

very difficult. the avg work ex there is 5-6 yrs and they are some what "overqualified" to get an MBA degree. other degrees no idea!

3)i have started learning vb.net and c++ programming,which degree or examination should i clear so that the universities should get convinced that i have the required programming skills?

to be really blunt, these insti certificates dont count. they just would add to ur resume without adding any weight. if you can do some project in it (esp in IIT or IIMs) then nothing like it. working knowledge is more important that just getting a certificate.

4)in case they accept a commerce graduate?personally what examination or education should i do to improve my maths or quants skills so that i could compete with the engineers in my class?

what i can say from my personal experience with enggs is that , most of them love maths. its easy. just get the fundas and you are done. no mugging nothing! so start loving maths. maths is infinite and everyday you will learn something new. start with basics like calculus. that should keep you occupied atleast for the next year!

5) i have never heard of softwares like matlab , mathematica, sasa, gauss, rats etc in india?where could i learn to use such softwares in india?

these are some heavy duty expensive software so i dont think they would be availiable that easily. and places where they are used like in investment banking etc wud be highly restricted. besides i really dont think, theres any point in learning the software . again working knowledge is important rather than just knowing how to fidget with software!

7)do u know abt any commerce graduate who have made it to any of the top 10 programmes?

yes...but generally they follow taht up with a CA or MBA. or have some extraordinary profile . or have their last names as Ambani or Godrej or rich ppl!

i dont want to discourage you, but i think it would be better if you do a CA and then try applying . i dont know why are you so keen on going to US either. IIMC is the place to be if you want to be in financial engineering!! try to be there!!
2)if not what other degrees should i try to obtain so that i could get get in a top 10 programme?
are thre any institutes in india which could teach me such softwares?
6)if not would they accept a guy who does not have a knowledge of such softwares?

1) Plain and simple No.
2) CA Definately (rank holder of course), MS in mathematics or Comp Sc. or Mech Engg.
3) Do www.brainbench.com (their tests are darn difficult and .net is useless)
4) Once you are admitted and survive the sllaybus, nothing additional is required.
5) Matlab is easily available in NP, SAS et al are very expansive and are there only in Fin research companies, so the best place to learn them is getting hired by one.
6) No, no one gets accepted without programing knowledge.
7) No, infact i dont know anyone outside of IIT, IIM, PhD to have made it.

Just an advice, (I am not trying to discourage you or anything) But Fin. Engg. is highly sophisticated to say the least. Do guage yourself properly before jumping in.

Hope this helps.

hey guys thanks for u replies buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i now that financial engineering is very tough but i am prepared for it.
i match allmost all the criteria of the schools teaching financial engineering except my maths and statstics ka qualifiaction(which is the main one)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the uiversities require me show that i have a great hold of maths and stastics!!!!
now i am very worried as to how to prove to them that i am good at maths?
guys is there any degree or qualification for a commerce student which could teach me completet maths and stastics from freshers stage to advanced stage in india?
if yes plz name them for me?
also i wold like to know whether fiinancial enginner courses are available in india or not? if yes which university or institution conducts it? plz let me know?
also have any one heard of ma in maths programme offered by mumbai university?
where could i get the complete list of indian universities and there ranking and what correspondence courses do they offer?
plz help me guys ?

heys guys any one there to help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plz help me buddies waiting from a long time.............

hey guys sems no one cares to reply
are there not enough of guys who are intrested in taking finance as there careeer
plz guys help me
need u guys help and advice very urgently!!!!!!!!!!
sameer kapadia

Perhaps you could you seek an opinion from the colleges that offer the courses you want to pursue. You could also seek their opinion regarding possibilities of pursuing preparatory courses.

Based on their requirements you can find out about possibilities in India / abroad.