Financial Background Is it Important Factor for getting Student Visa ?

Hi Friends, I have searched on this topic ,got one thread which was 700 days old and I was not able to reply there.:neutral: The objective of this thread is to understand how important the financial background of a candidate is for getting US…

Hi Friends,
I have searched on this topic ,got one thread which was 700 days old and I was not able to reply there.:neutral:
The objective of this thread is to understand how important the financial background of a candidate is for getting US or any other country student visa. Some of my friends told me that, even if you have got admit to good B-School ,if you don't have strong financial background you can not get visa the reason for this is visa officer is more concern about the fact that you are not going to stay there for the longer period of time .If your financial background is not that strong enough; you may stay there for the money ..This migth be the assupmtion coming in his /her mind.......
So let me know your experiences on this as there are many Pguys and Pgals here who are dong MBA in US,UK and I am sure they will surely help me in understanding the truth.
I am a typical middle class software engineer without any financial background 😃 if I get admission to average B-Schol in US .(Average B-School I mean a school which doesn't rank is top 10 but still well-known) what are my chances of getting US visa.
NOTE : I don't want this discussion to be limited only for the US visa so, If you have gone through "Getting Student Visa .." process at any point of your life .Please shear your experience.
Thanks,
Ajay
Hi Friends,
I have searched on this topic ,got one thread which was 700 days old and I was not able to reply there.:neutral:
The objective of this thread is to understand how important the financial background of a candidate is for getting US or any other country student visa. Some of my friends told me that, even if you have got admit to good B-School ,if you don't have strong financial background you can not get visa the reason for this is visa officer is more concern about the fact that you are not going to stay there for the longer period of time .If your financial background is not that strong enough; you may stay there for the money ..This migth be the assupmtion coming in his /her mind.......
So let me know your experiences on this as there are many Pguys and Pgals here who are dong MBA in US,UK and I am sure they will surely help me in understanding the truth.
I am a typical middle class software engineer without any financial background 😃 if I get admission to average B-Schol in US .(Average B-School I mean a school which doesn't rank is top 10 but still well-known) what are my chances of getting US visa.
NOTE : I don't want this discussion to be limited only for the US visa so, If you have gone through "Getting Student Visa .." process at any point of your life .Please shear your experience.
Thanks,
Ajay

Financial Background is an indicator(not conclusive) of your chances of jumping ship and becoming illegal. If you can convince the Visa Counsellor that you have good reasons for returning back/or Visa should not be a problem.

Best way- get into a B-School and then start worrying about Visa 😁
Hi Friends,
The objective of this thread is to understand how important the financial background of a candidate is for getting US or any other country student visa. Some of my friends told me that, even if you have got admit to good B-School ,if you dont have strong financial background you can not get visa the reason for this is visa officer is more concern about the fact that you are not going to stay there for the longer period of time .If your financial background is not that strong enough; you may stay there for the money ..This migth be the assupmtion coming in his /her mind.......
I am a typical middle class software engineer without any financial background 😃 if I get admission to average B-Schol in US .(Average B-School I mean a school which doesnt rank is top 10 but still well-known) what are my chances of getting US visa.
NOTE : I dont want this discussion to be limited only for the US visa so, If you have gone through Getting Student Visa .. process at any point of your life .Please shear your experience.
Thanks,
Ajay

Good initiative Dude. I was looking for a fresh thread where Visa realted issues will be discussed in detail
Hi Friends,
The objective of this thread is to understand how important the financial background of a candidate is for getting US or any other country student visa. Some of my friends told me that, even if you have got admit to good B-School ,if you dont have strong financial background you can not get visa the reason for this is visa officer is more concern about the fact that you are not going to stay there for the longer period of time .If your financial background is not that strong enough; you may stay there for the money

Dear Ajay,

I am not well positioned to opine on this, however, I would like to present a perspective.

We have 4 different cases to consider.

1) Strong financially Middle Rung B-Schooler
2) Strong financially Top Rung B-schooler
3) Weak financially Top-Rung B-schooler
4) Weak financially Middle Rung-B-schooler

There are two concerns a Visa officer shall consider.

I) whether u will be a burden to America because you don't have sufficient money.
2) whether you are an intending immigrant.

Lets consider above 4 cases one by one.

(1) Strong financially Middle Rung B-Schooler - It's not so difficult for these, because they can bear their own expenses in America, and potentially VO (Visa Officers) are sure by their financial background that they will not be a burden to the United States. However, the VO might have a good concern whether you are an intending immigrant, so unless you have strong ties back home, and can convince him that you will return back home, getting a visa is difficult, especially for America. :)

(2) Strong financially Top Rung B-Schooler -
Same with these, just that being selected for a Top school gives you an edge, because you are adding to the intellectual capital of that country, and you will eventually contribute to the US Economy. However, intending immigrants still have a reason to worry

(3) Weak financially Top-Rung B-schooler -

They should not have much of a problem, if you can prove it that, your B-school is taking care of your financial blues, and you have the capacity to pay back the loan post MBA, they shall not do much ado. This case, one thing helps, stacking up as much saving as you can, because if you are completely dependent on loan it is suggestive of the fact that you did not plan well earlier. If you don't have any savings, it could work well against you in visa interview.

(4) Weak financiall Middle-Rung B-schooler -
This is the most difficult phase. contains all disadvantages of (1), (2), (3). God help you if you belong to this category. Though being here doesnt mean your chances are out. You should just convince the VO at the V-Day. Thats all matters in the end.

Hope this helps.

Looking for more prespectives from folks here.

Cheers,
Abhi.

Thx for the detailed posting Abhinandan, but one point needs to be clarified here. In the last case you said that financially weak middle tier guy will be at the greatest disadvantage, but in writing that u probably discounted the possibility that the candidate mite have a got a big schol say full tuition waiver, I guess in that case the VO mite consider him at par with Cat1.

I think it's a very good discussion let's take it fwd

(3) Weak financially Top-Rung B-schooler -

They should not have much of a problem, if you can prove it that, your B-school is taking care of your financial blues, and you have the capacity to pay back the loan post MBA, they shall not do much ado. This case, one thing helps, stacking up as much saving as you can, because if you are completely dependent on loan it is suggestive of the fact that you did not plan well earlier. If you don't have any savings, it could work well against you in visa interview.

True. I think that even if you intend to take the complete CitiAssist loan, it's safer if you say that you intend to pay a part of it yourself.. and show sufficient proof.
Susie Derkins Says
True. I think that even if you intend to take the complete CitiAssist loan, it's safer if you say that you intend to pay a part of it yourself.. and show sufficient proof.

Agree. But if you unfortunately fall into the category of top b-school but weak finanicially with almost zero personal assets to show, do not get too scared. Unless your luck is too bad on that day, the VO is most likely to just see your 100% loan document and give you a visa.

Many people in previous years have shown the 100% loan as their only source and I do not know anybody who got rejected because of this, if admitted to a top-10 school. If anybody knows any bad stories, do not mind to share.
Agree. But if you unfortunately fall into the category of top b-school but weak finanicially with almost zero personal assets to show, do not get too scared. Unless your luck is too bad on that day, the VO is most likely to just see your 100% loan document and give you a visa.

Many people in previous years have shown the 100% loan as their only source and I do not know anybody who got rejected because of this, if admitted to a top-10 school. If anybody knows any bad stories, do not mind to share.

I don't want to bring the morale down, but I do know of one guy who had an admit from Columbia and had shown full loan n his Visa was rejected...I guess that was an one-off case

True..Its better to show atleast a part of the amount as personal funds or support from parents and some amount from relatives as support..Its not a good option to show full amount as loan as they may think that its very difficult to repay the stuff without being in US after MBA.

Agree with Deba. Though I dont have much info abt the general topic, but from what I have learnt from current Darden students is that most of them went with 100% loan last year and didnt face any problem at the visa stage. Infact, the I-20 form clearly mentioned that all first year expenses (Tution+Living+laptop) would be covered through the GATE loan. Personal savings were shown during the Visa process to take care of the Flight/Initial relocation expenses.

One of my friends did went to a somewhat lower ranked (35-40) univ last yr, and he took a loan from India for showing the first year expenses. What I have also heard from other acquaintances is that it also depends on the individual school whether they accept fixed deposits/ stocks as possible sources of funds. As such, the tough part boils down to getting the I-20 from the Univ and after it is obtained, I think the Visa process shndt be a major problem.

Essentially, a VISA officer anywhere in the world has the following thoughts in their head:

1) Do you intend to engage in illegal activities in their country, and cause any sort of harm. (Hence the questions of a criminal past/terrorism/etc in your VISA form)

2) Do you intend on abusing your VISA priviliges by engaging in activities outside the scope of your VISA. For eg: Seeking employment while on a tourist VISA, etc.

3) Do you intend on staying and living in their country illegally after the expiration of your VISA? For eg: Studying for 2 years on a student VISA and then "disappearing".

-----------

Therefore, you must remember that all the VISA officer cares about is whether you'll do something you're not supposed to do. As long as you know you're going their for perfectly legal reasons and intend to follow all the rules and regulations laid down under the terms of your VISA, there is no reason they would reject you.

Of course, they may use certain indicators (like your financial statements) to judge whether you are likely to stay back in their country as you have very little to come back to.

Although it's popular belief that they won't give you a VISA if they think you'll be an immigrant, I don't think it's correct. You can study with your student VISA, and then post graduation, if you get a job, apply for your H1 visa, and if the job is long term, perhaps even a green card. They have no issues with the entire process as long as you follow the letter of the law throughout.

As long as you stay within the scope of what you're allowed to do, you'll be fine.

And remember, these VISA officers see 100s of people every day, so don't just barge in there with papers. You may want to try smiling and saying hello! first.

rickyricks Says
As such, the tough part boils down to getting the I-20 from the Univ and after it is obtained, I think the Visa process shndt be a major problem.

Wont completely agree with you sir... The schools I have an admit from have clearly mentioned that if I dont have sufficient funds, I can simply indicate that I will be applying for a tution + living loan... The 'BIG' Citibank Global Assist Loan that is... They mention this on the I-20 and send it across...

However, the international student cousellors at these very universities advise to make necessary arragements to show atleast some personal / family 'resources' when you apply for a VISA... The number of hidden variables and thus the complexity in obtaining VISA is more as compared to that for availing your I-20...

So do not take it lightly... If you have your I-20, there is a lot of work still to be done.... If you do not have 'resources' to produce in front of the VO and you do not wish to take the illegal route, the best option is to take some amount from an Indian bank....

Please correct me if I am wrong...
Wont completely agree with you sir... The schools I have an admit from have clearly mentioned that if I dont have sufficient funds, I can simply indicate that I will be applying for a tution + living loan... The 'BIG' Citibank Global Assist Loan that is... They mention this on the I-20 and send it across...

However, the international student cousellors at these very universities advise to make necessary arragements to show atleast some personal / family 'resources' when you apply for a VISA... The number of hidden variables and thus the complexity in obtaining VISA is more as compared to that for availing your I-20...

So do not take it lightly... If you have your I-20, there is a lot of work still to be done.... If you do not have 'resources' to produce in front of the VO and you do not wish to take the illegal route, the best option is to take some amount from an Indian bank....

Just my 2 cents..

It can't be more correct than this..You need to show atleast some funds. After all the VISA Officer knows that you will not come back to India Immediately and you are an asset to US as you assist in economy. But he needs to be convinced that you have some funds to sustain yourself..So borrow some stuff and put into your parents account or take a bank loan approval letter. After all VISA is the ultimate thing..

1) I was denied B-1 visa twice around 1 1/2 years back. Will it seriuosly affect my F-1 chances?

2) People say that you should show sufficient funds in ur account. Can someone throw some light as to how much should be the sufficent amount. Let's assume the living+tution fee expenses come out to be around 45 lacs.

When it comes to the Visa process for Indian students (this includes MBA, MS and other courses ppl as well), even the bravest of soul does have his/her nightmares.

What I meant by saying that Visa wont be a problem, is that once you do the routine stuff of showing funds in your account (apart from the 100% loan), you shndnt be that worried. My confidence comes from what I have heard from current students. Every1 of them had their doubts abt it, but ultimately none of them faced problems in getting the Visa.

There are two things that a VO office looks at (assuming that we have secured the I-20):

1. Your intent to come back to India. Afterall, F1 is an non-immigrant visa and its but natural that this question is bound to crop up. But like hundreds of ppl who have gone thru the treaded part, we too say the right things and get our visa done with. Family business can also be shown to prove to the VO about this point.

2. Your ability to repay the loan if you come back to India after your studies. This is where the funds need to be shown. Bank Balances, property, Stocks, Bonds, anything can be shown to make up for a decent amount.

Thr r ppl who get lucky and are issued F1 just by looking at that I-20. And thr r ppl who are quizzed on the above two points. So, with adequate preparation, VISA shndt be a problem.

2) People say that you should show sufficient funds in ur account. Can someone throw some light as to how much should be the sufficent amount. Let's assume the living+tution fee expenses come out to be around 45 lacs.

The answer depends on whether you are talking of funds prior to securing the I-20 or for the Visa purpose.

If, its for the I-20, then ofcourse the entire amount. Otherwise, if its for the Visa, then it becomes very subjective. Usually, one would show the house property, some liquid cash, PF amount, some stocks or whatever one can show as an equivalent of money. It is basically just to show to the VO that we have sufficient funds to make a living/repay the loan if we come back to India after the education.
Hi Friends,
Thanks for really good insights,info ! But, I still have few questions ,will post soon.
Thanks,
Ajay

Guys,

Does anyone know if someone already holds another valid US Visa like B1/B2 or L1 would his/ her case be more convincing to the VO.

Will this appear as a +ve in visa application.

Thanks
Amit

Guys,

Does anyone know if someone already holds another valid US Visa like B1/B2 or L1 would his/ her case be more convincing to the VO.

Will this appear as a +ve in visa application.

Thanks
Amit

If anybody holds a B1/L1/H1 it'll definitely be a +ve factor bcoz much of the verification that is required in F1 has already been done. It wud be an added advantage if that person has travlled using that visa