Final Placements at IIM Calcutta '04

Hi, Today was the end of Slot Zero of Final Placements '04 here. And boy, was it a sizzling day!!! :: When the results were announced, we were literally blown away :shock: McKinsey and Co, the holy grail of consults had just lapped up…

Hi,
Today was the end of Slot Zero of Final Placements '04 here. And boy, was it a sizzling day!!!!

When the results were announced, we were literally blown away :shock: McKinsey and Co, the holy grail of consults had just lapped up seven of our very best. That was the trend for the rest as well. The I-banks were on a hiring spree too. Lemme just sum up the day in figures:

McKinsey and Co. - 6
Boston Consulting Group - 1 (4 offers)
AT Kearney - 5
Deutsche Bank - 3
HSBC - 3 (from 3 offers and 3 in waitlist)
Capital One - 1 (2 offers)

That's a total of 19 people placed , from 23 offers. Add to this 4 I-bank PPOs , from Lehman, ABN AMRO and HSBC. (And about 25 domestic PPOs and over 50 lateral offers)Thatz pretty good, I would say. :wink:

The number of offers per company made it abundantly clear that the companies were absolutely impressed with the quality of out students. In fact, a senior recruiter was heard saying that our topper had the "best CV that he had seen across IIMs in many a year". Oh, and this same guy had offers, formal and informal, across the companies. In fact, many companies had to revise their offer lists to make sure they got their share of the best. If that's taken into account , the actual number of offers is much higher. Interesting sight to see heavyweight companies chasing candidates.

Companies like McKinsey and HSBC recruited more students at IIM C than at the other two campuses. Capital One, a steady partner of IIM C, returned after 2 years as did AT Kearney. After the post 2001 slump, Slot Zero placements finally are regaining their usual heights. IIM C had 82 foreign offers just before the slump, unmatched across campuses..and we are returning to that. 😁

Will keep u guys posted on how things turn out here.Stay tuned. Tk care and have fun. C u later.

Regards,
Ajay

And Kishore Warrier got a fundu PPO offer from Johnson&Johnson.....;

Need to update about Gokul Pai.

Arun

Hi,
: McKinsey and Co, the holy grail of consults had just lapped up seven of our very best.

What do u mean by 7 of our best ?? Best as in only acads ??? were they in top 10 ?
our topper had the "best CV that he had seen across IIMs in many a year"

ajay, Wats the topper's profile ? name etc ... believe he was in gr8 demand 😃

hi

ya topper has a grt profile...some comments by recruiter abt him...senior BCG guy...."I havent come across such a profile across IIM'S in last 10-15 years"

1 McKinsey guy, after the process is over and the topper has accepted the offer, was overheard saying "Sir, we got him...we got him!!!" 😁

2 BCG and DEUTCHE BANK apparently kept him in the room for 2-3 hours discussing trivial things just to make sure he misses the other interviews....

3 Capone gave him shortlist for second round irrespective of the fact tht he didnt turned up for first rond.... :shock:

..plcmt season is really rocking here at IIM C...A had 21 accepts with 28 offers...and 9 cos...C is having 19 accepts with 23 offers..6 cos....B 14 accepts with 5-6 cos and 16 offers...

..it will be really tough for the recruiters in slot 1...whom to hire n whom not to ....

~Joyness in the air 😁

Mago rocks [ got this info frm bharatram ] ... saw him in action at the sports meet too 😃

congrats all ... the jrs mst be busy with the placement stuff 😃

ya topper has a grt profile...some comments by recruiter abt him...senior BCG guy...."I havent come across such a profile across IIM'S in last 10-15 years"

1 McKinsey guy, after the process is over and the topper has accepted the offer, was overheard saying "Sir, we got him...we got him!!!" 😁

2 BCG and DEUTCHE BANK apparently kept him in the room for 2-3 hours discussing trivial things just to make sure he misses the other interviews....

3 Capone gave him shortlist for second round irrespective of the fact tht he didnt turned up for first rond.... :shock:

..plcmt season is really rocking here at IIM C...A had 21 accepts with 28 offers...and 9 cos...C is having 19 accepts with 23 offers..6 cos....B 14 accepts with 5-6 cos and 16 offers...

..it will be really tough for the recruiters in slot 1...whom to hire n whom not to ....

~Joyness in the air :D

This is getting to me now.......... damn !! who is this guy ?? whats so unique about his profile ??

Its like that VIP underwear ad "Whats he got, that we ain't got !!"

Arun

What is the profile of the topper that he is in such great demand???that company like Capone shortlisted him for the second round inspite of not attending the first round???

ya could you please share the profile,then we also can work towards building a similar profile
;-)

Heheh..supense hunh ??!!!
the dude was already working in anderson consulting for more thn 2 years whn he joind C...was a gold medallist in CA finals...beat that alone if u can !!! :shock: :shock: ..he has innumerable inter b school prizes to his credit including at confluene...ofcourse all this aprt frm being Stud council prez etc etc.........

IIMCians..hope whtever i wrote is more or less true!!.....its funny so many peepz are soo curious about a stud hunh !!!
😃
Suhas

M A V E R I C K Says
Mago rocks [ got this info frm bharatram ] ... saw him in action at the sports meet too :)

so where is Gautam Mago placed ? BCG ?

hi all...
chek some info abt this d00d.

http://www.iimcal.ac.in/admissions/aditlo/aditlo.asp

~C~

Hi,
Gautam Mago has a CA background and had work exp. with Anderson Consulting. Now, just saying a CA background is putting it lightly. He has scored an All-India top rank in the CA final exam. He is also the top ranker in IIM C. Add to that the fact that he was Student Council President , a top class tennis player and has cracked lotss of b-school events. Most notable, would be at Confluence at IIM A, where he walked off with the lion's share of the total prize money on offer despite the fact that studs from Wharton and other foreign b-schools were reportedly on the prowl. :wink: So, now you can get an idea of the calibre of this guy and why he landed offers from everywhere.I would say that McKinsey was justified in its elation at getting him.

But, that fact is that the story does not end there. Quite a few people had offers across companies. Some of the recruiters had to recast their offer lists to ensure that they did get a share of the best. Rahul Karkun, for example, is one of the best quanti brains across campuses in India. The guy has a mathematical proof to his name! :shock: Deutsche couldn't wait (literally) to make him an offer and he was also high on the target list of the other I-banks. 😁

However, it is not that only the institute toppers made it into the Day Zero list. Rahul, for example, has a CG of about 6.5. One of my seniors from CET, Pameela, had a slightly higher one. 😃 But, there is no denying the fact that most of the crackos were among the insti's toppers.

So, that is how the story of placements has gone so far. I am happy that IIM Calcutta has wiped out any doubts where it stands in the order of things as far as b-schools are concerned in India. Some of the co.s like Cap One and HSBC made offers only at C and A. McKinsey and AT Kearney had their biggest recruitment at C. 😛
Slot One starts tomorrow and we will keep you updated. Watch this space for more!

regards,
Ajay

yup a real awesome time...
...i was covoling(company volunteer) with Mckinsey & Co., so saw it at first hand!!:)

Most of the guys who got through on slot 0 had a CG of above 7 out of 9..soo roughly top 20-25 guys...so having a good cg does help...or the correlation could be the other way...that guys with good cg are generally better than others...atleast intellectually.

Mos tof them were also pretty active on the extracurrics front..so def adds value ..

Slot 1 is also rocking...the official figures will be out soon ....but im sure ajay will be out with them before that;)

~and yeah...mago rocks!!!...so does IIMC:)

Hi,
Slot One has been siimply GREAT here. As the offers were made today, it is clear that IIM C has had the best performance across b-schools. As much as we would love to give you the numbers, we will desist till the official list is released - since that is the prudent policy. 😃
Just suffices to say that , company for company, our students have performed better than any other B-school. I am sure tomorrow will be a similar story. Keep watching this space!!!

Regards,
Ajay

A friend of mine at IIMC landed with the most highly paid offer from Capital one across all campuses a $120000 (lateral)!! He dinged it to lap up Mckinsey at Rs 12 lakhs!

Mudit had only one call from IIMC which he converted..ranks fourth today in IIMC with cgp of 7.8 , has 7 years of experience in BSNL (Indian Telecom Service) , was one of the toppers of NIT Bhopal and has many prizes to go with his etra ordinary debating skills! Incidentally he also won the Aditya Birla schol while being in the first year of IIMC!

BTW is it more important to ge all 6 calls or to crack acads at the MBA ?!

word does get around fast!!!:)

~and yeah ..mago is not the only stud at IIMC:)

$120000 and Rs.12 laks :shock: :shock: it looks like 12 is a lucky number :!:
by the way whats "lateral" ??

$120000 and Rs.12 laks :shock: :shock: it looks like 12 is a lucky number :!:
by the way whats "lateral" ??

Lateral is higher than entry level.