Fall 2010

HI People Plz suggest when is the last date for application to fall 2010 MBA admissions. I have yet to give my GMAT. When at last can I give GMAT so that iI have comfortable transition.

HI People Plz suggest when is the last date for application to fall 2010 MBA admissions.

I have yet to give my GMAT. When at last can I give GMAT so that iI have comfortable transition.

What do you mean by Last date for application? which business school are you talking about?? Please provide more information. Also you might want to check the Fall 2010 applicants thread...

Hi guys,

Would request you to have a look at my profile and opine on my self-designed plan

GMAT - 710(Q47 V40) - 4th attempt

Work Experience: Currently 3.2 years; 4 years at matriculation

I spent the entire term working for one of Asia's largest software exporters. I worked for clients based out of India, UK and USA. I worked as an assistant systems engineer, systems engineer and a business architect for each of the past 3 years.

Achievements at work:

-Awarded 100% Customer Satisfaction by the Additional Commissioner of Income Tax.
-Conferred with the Best Propeller award for training associates in the Proactive Program for Learning (PROPEL).
-Accredited by the Human Resources for presenting a paper on Information Security that helped associates to minimize security incidents.
-Adjudged the Best Defect Prevention & Causal Analysis Prime, an award granted for efficient defect tracking.
-Felicitated by the Head of Northern Region, for leading a team of 14 associates in the annual cultural confluence of one of the biggest Indian Conglomerates.

Academic Qualifications

-Bachelor of Engineering (Information & Communication Technology) 2002 - 2006 with a CGPA of 3.3/4.0

-Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (Central Board of Secondary Education) 2001 - 2002
with an overall score of 75.4 %

-Higher Secondary Certificate Examination (Central Board of Secondary Education) 1999 - 2000
with an overall score of 82.6 %

Community Service

-DCWA (Delhi Commonwealth Women's Association) - Have been teaching computer basics and English conversation classes for kids of all age groups, housewives and senior citizens, for the past one year.
-PROPEL (Pro-active Program for Employee Learning) - Organized 5 sessions aimed at team coherence .These sessions enable associates to hone their team building skills.
-As part of MAITREE - The corporate sustainability arm of my company, successfully organized outbound trips to slums and old age homes. Provided health awareness and consultation sessions to the underprivileged.
Co-Curricular Activities

-Received professional training in rappelling, archery and shooting from the National Adventure Foundation, New Delhi.
-Adjudged 2nd runner up, in university level Mr. Personality Competition, 2005.
-Led the rock band-Solstice, as lead singer, in 2 inter-college competitions.
-Led a team of 57 students in initiating the Club for IT interaction for Information Technology department.
-Won 6 awards in inter/intra college fests. Worked with the student council for organizing technical events for IEEE.
-Have won 12 awards for music, debating and calligraphy in school.
-As member of the student editorial board, led the HINDI Editorial section of the school magazine, 2001.
-Worked with the student council for organizing inter-school competitions and symposiums.
-Represented the North Zone in Earth Day Declamation Competition conducted by the DELHI MIDTOWN TABLE in 1996.

Career Objective

To work as a consultant in an IT consulting firm and strive for innovative ways to sell technology services and products to offset the dynamic consumer demands.

Since I want to move over IT Consulting/Marketing/Strategy and consider Return on investment to be a pivotal factor in deciding my B school, I have selected the following Scholarship friendly MBA Programs:

The Plan:

Krannert, Purdue University: by 1st November
Fisher, Ohio State University: by 15th November
Boston University School of management: by 15th November
ISB: by 1st December
NUS: by 1st December
Georgia Tech: by 15th December.

Keeping the above profile in mind, an average gmat score as well as having the label of the Indian IT Male written all over me, do you think I'm on the right track ? Or would you like to see more schools being appended to that list? In case you do , please mention the names of those programs with relevant reasons

Also, will it be over ambitious to apply to the likes of McCombs, Cornell, Ross and Tepper? These schools may not be scholarship friendly; however they have the best technology resources on offer.

I request you to please guide me appropriately.

PS : How will the adcom see the 4 attempts in the GMAT ?

Regards
Varun

hi ghk,
i hav heard i lot abt ur B school research n knowledge.I need ur help in shortlisting B schools which wil suit my profile.
i am a software engg(Female,IT)
with 4 yrs of work ex in a top IT company.my acads are good and my gmat score is 710.i m fall 2010 aspirant.i m targetting
collges for mba finance.Finances are a big concern for me so i m prefferring collges which can provide me with good
scholarships.Bemow is the list i hav made of the collges to apply in.Please provide ur valuable feed backs as wat all collges will
best suit my profile taking into cosideration Sch also.plz suggest if i m missing on some good college which can fit into this
criterai n suit my profile best.
the college which are a long shot for me :
columbia
chicago
INSEAD
Stern // Chicago is a bit tough

Competitive
Olin
Fisher

The colleges which are in range:
Ross
ISB
Kelly
Emory
UC Irvine
Simon
Vanderbilt
Rottman.
boston

sorry for the really long post.but i m really confused and am juggling with the list since more then a month .wil really
appreciate some good help..thanks in advance.

If you would like to target on Finance as a specialization in your MBA, then you should definitely apply to the following or atleast consider them:

Wharton, NYU Stern, Columbia, Chicago booth, Kellogg, Duke.

I see that you have already sorted out most of the good schools from this list. So i suggest you go ahead with it.

A note about scholarships: You need to reflect on your achievements to get a scholarship. I can definitely say that your 710 gmat is not going to fetch you a scholarship. So do evaluate on what basis you are looking to get a scholarship. Also be aware that almost all the students applying to these schools have a great profile. SO be sure that you have something significant to pitch for your scholarship or even admissions for that matter.

Hope that helped you.

P.S. "i hav heard i lot abt ur B school research n knowledge", i'm not sure where or what you heard about me, but i'm definitely flattered. Thanks.
Hi guys,

Would request you to have a look at my profile and opine on my self-designed plan

GMAT 710(Q47 V40) 4th attempt

Work Experience: Currently 3.2 years; 4 years at matriculation

Career Objective

To work as a consultant in an IT consulting firm

Also, will it be over ambitious to apply to the likes of McCombs, Cornell, Ross and Tepper? These schools may not be scholarship friendly; however they have the best technology resources on offer.

I request you to please guide me appropriately.

PS : How will the adcom see the 4 attempts in the GMAT ?

Regards
Varun

Varun,

There are a couple of points that i'd like to highlight from your profile which i believe would be of significant interest to you.

1. Your career goal of becoming an IT consultant: Well, the first question the schools are going to ask you is - Why do you want an MBA? You dont need an MBA to become an IT consultant. You can very well become one by doing a Masters degree in IT or C.S. or electrical Engineering. So, be prepared to illustrate the relevance of doing an MBA. Reputation, Brand name, Contacts etc wont work in this case.

2. Scholarships: Please see my post above for scholarship. The question is what have you dont to earn a scholarship - research and self analysis is the key.

3. You school list is fine. and McCombs, Cornell, Ross and Tepper are not at all ambitious. You can very well get into them if you can write some quality essays and have a good career plan. Again, "achievements" is the key here.

4. GMAT: "How will the adcom see the 4 attempts in the GMAT ?" Well you can be assured that this question will arise.Why did you take the gmat 4 times? Have a good explanation to that. If you took GMAT just to conquer the 700+ score, then thats not going to be a valuable explanation. I remember one adcom member telling me - Take the GMAT only if you can improve atleast 40 points. So if you started off with a 540 and now have a 710 that could be a positive indicator of your persistance.

Hope that helped.
Varun,

There are a couple of points that i'd like to highlight from your profile which i believe would be of significant interest to you.

1. Your career goal of becoming an IT consultant: Well, the first question the schools are going to ask you is - Why do you want an MBA? You dont need an MBA to become an IT consultant. You can very well become one by doing a Masters degree in IT or C.S. or electrical Engineering. So, be prepared to illustrate the relevance of doing an MBA. Reputation, Brand name, Contacts etc wont work in this case.

2. Scholarships: Please see my post above for scholarship. The question is what have you dont to earn a scholarship - research and self analysis is the key.

3. You school list is fine. and McCombs, Cornell, Ross and Tepper are not at all ambitious. You can very well get into them if you can write some quality essays and have a good career plan. Again, "achievements" is the key here.

4. GMAT: "How will the adcom see the 4 attempts in the GMAT ?" Well you can be assured that this question will arise.Why did you take the gmat 4 times? Have a good explanation to that. If you took GMAT just to conquer the 700+ score, then thats not going to be a valuable explanation. I remember one adcom member telling me - Take the GMAT only if you can improve atleast 40 points. So if you started off with a 540 and now have a 710 that could be a positive indicator of your persistance.

Hope that helped.

hi ghk

thanks for the reply...

will keep the points in mind...

Regards
Varun