Fall 2010 Applicants for Wharton

Puys, This is the thread for Fall 2010 Applicants to Wharton. Do share your experiences.

Puys,

This is the thread for Fall 2010 Applicants to Wharton. Do share your experiences.

any idea about "Do you wish to waive your right to examine this letter of recommendation"??? what do we say? am confused????

@sjed: iv said no. if they give a legal option to say yes/no, then i dont see how it should adversely affect ones candidature. but again, thats my take on it. you might want to call them up and clarify.

thanks rockyb
I am too struggling with the essays specially the essay 1..as i observed wharton's app is exhaustive in whole, which is the quality i normally dont find in other schools app
i am sure u wud agree with me

EDIT: i've said YES

@sjed: if one of us gets accepted, we will know the right answer now !!!

wharton is exhaustive. but i also found other schools to ask similar questions in a different way! also, its equally difficult trying to convey a career progress in 300 words with ISB as it might be trying to bring out an international flavour with wharton. so i guess each school truly grills u!

@rockyb
I agree ISB's are diffult in the sense they require very fine squeezing , here I was talking of app form, like wharton has various "250 char essays", i think this explanation at every step brings out the actual thinking.

I have a query regarding optional essay, what do we use it for? i can use it for explaining my "choice of recommenders", what else? is that true that if u write this essay w/o any specific need, it may go against u, rather highlight negativity in a point than defending it. whats ur say for it?

@rockyb
I agree ISB's are diffult in the sense they require very fine squeezing , here I was talking of app form, like wharton has various "250 char essays", i think this explanation at every step brings out the actual thinking.

it is gruelling. thats for sure

I have a query regarding optional essay, what do we use it for? i can use it for explaining my "choice of recommenders", what else? is that true that if u write this essay w/o any specific need, it may go against u, rather highlight negativity in a point than defending it. whats ur say for it?

wharton says that u shuld use the optional essay to clarify if there are any perceived weaknesses like a poor semester in the midst of an otherwise great academic performance or ur choice of recommenders etc. they say if such things arent clarified, they might make uneducated assumptions.

since it is an extra essay and therefore extra work for the adcoms, u need to use this judiciously. most admissions consultants do say that it *can* go against u if u use this optional essay unwisely.

i havent used it.

so submitted, if not when do u plan to?
i am thinking by tomorrow will hit my fate

so submitted, if not when do u plan to?
i am thinking by tomorrow will hit my fate

i will submit on monday

@sjed: buddy, have you submitted? all the best!

thanks!
ya dude....done finally

best of luck to u too! hope we both see eachother @ big W

EDIT: which other schools are u targetting btw, apart from rotman (as i knew from ur posts and blog)

@sjed: all the best man!

yeah! lets hope for the best and make it happen!

i guess u missed the dit part in my last post...
so which schools other than wharton and rotman ru targtng?

i guess u missed the dit part in my last post...
so which schools other than wharton and rotman ru targtng?

fuqua R1.

one of darden, haas and tuck for R2.
fuqua R1.

one of darden, haas and tuck for R2.

i am finding hard to catch my recommnders, is that correct that appln will roll to r2 if reco not submitted by oct1???:shocked:

hello guys, i am appearing for the GMAT on Nov. 12 2009 and am looking at either going for a MBA or MFin course. i would like to know my prospects based on my profile thru ur expert guidance.

Acads: BTech in IT in 2007 with 77%.
Work Ex: 3.5 years (1 years in india as a consultant, started a small firm undertaking outsourcing.
2.5 years as business consultant in Denmark in the healthcare and shipping industries, worked for A. P. Mller, the largest shipping company in the world). Knowledge of various shipping activities including shipbroking, container chartering, shipbuilding etc.

Can speak Danish (degree from language school) apart from English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.

Extra curriculars: i am good at singing (many foreign languages)
have travelled extensively, over 30 countries including the North Pole.
Will be going to Antarctica in Nov. 2009 for 15 days as part of a climate change expedition.
Member of AIESEC, World's largest youth organization and have been part of their numerous international conferences.

I have recently been laid off from my current work due to the financial crisis and have decided to use this time to prepare for the GMAT. i would request your guidance and advise on the prospects.

Current GMAT score range in practice tests - 680-700. My career interests post MBA are in Strategy consulting and entrepreneurship. Based on these criteria, i am looking at applying to any 6 out of the univerities mentioned below:

dream - harvard, wharton.
ambitious - MIT, CGSB.
practical - LBS, INSEAD.
Probable - Oxford & Duke.

regards,
anant

sjed Says
i am finding hard to catch my recommnders, is that correct that appln will roll to r2 if reco not submitted by oct1???:shocked:

afaik, yes.

Submitted! Whoooof!

Loved writing the essays....especially the long ones. Wharton has the best set of essays. Stanford's first essay was an amazing experience.

Now have to get hold of my recos....havent received them yet! No wonder why....the recos have 8 questions...must be taking them a similar effort as it took for me to write the essays....

Submitted! Whoooof!

alright!

so thats 3 in the boat for wharton so far